• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

Urban

I have been able to switch between 30 fps & 60 fps without much of an issue.

You don't need to equip the armor for the benefits. They will still apply.

Only for those where i got all the 3 pieces right? thank you for your answer

@Thread: I have the Disc Edition of the PS5 and its the 5th game i bought as a Disc Version. Might be the last, because i have gigabit internet at home and the installation of the disc to the PS5 is always longer than my Download Speed. Really thinking about to go full digital and only buy games with disc when i found it on discount or stuff.

Last edited:

nbkicker

Just a word of warning dont be downloading updates or games while playing ratchet, as the ssd must be maxed out playing this game pulling in all the assets, as i was downloading a game to the ssd and started playing ng+ on ratchet this time noticed a lot of draw in as yr going through rifts and texture just pop half a second later as u come out of a rift

Urban

Just a word of warning dont be downloading updates or games while playing ratchet, as the ssd must be maxed out playing this game pulling in all the assets, as i was downloading a game to the ssd and started playing ng+ on ratchet this time noticed a lot of draw in as yr going through rifts and texture just pop half a second later as u come out of a rift
got this today and then my screen went white and my ps5 froze ( first time since i had her 11.20) and she didnt react to any buttons pressed on the console itself or the controller. needed to plug it off and on. after that the ps5 did some "repair".

CE-108255-1 was the code

//DEVIL//

I have to admit I am loving this game so much it’s not even funny. I never thought I would like it because I didn’t like the ps4 version .but this game ? I feel like in a movie, god damn it’s stunning in performance mode 60 frames ( fuck ray tracing I don’t give shit about it )

Dr Bass

I just finished this game this weekend. It was basically perfect for the type of game it is, and definitely the slickest presentation I have ever seen in a game. They put so much work into the story sequences and it was basically as good as an animated film. No it doesn't look like modern Pixar quality at all, but it DOES come across as a rendered cartoon, and that to me is a new high-water mark in a game. Not to mention this quality level carries over into the actual gameplay itself. I actually snapped a few photos of some areas with my phone because I was just sitting there looking at it, thinking about how the quality is not coming across in YouTube videos whatsoever. The amount of detail and fidelity (no pun intended) is just stunning. For people who complained it was too easy ... crank up the difficulty! There are plenty of options here for people's tastes.

Anyway, great ending, Rivet is a fantastic addition to the series and I hope she sticks around, and I hope the next game is the "mission" that is hinted at towards the end of this game. Another 10/10 for me along with Demon's Souls and Returnal. That is of course my personal opinion, but I just can't believe how much Sony is knocking it out of the park with the PS5 so far, and like I've mentioned many times on this board, I am not really a PS guy. But I do love great games wherever they show up, and there is simply no denying what Sony is achieving right now. I wish Nintendo and MS could match them as I would LOVE to see some of those franchises executed with the same level of quality I am seeing on PS5. I was playing Ratchet thinking ... Insomniac would make an awesome StarFox game. There were a few elements I could have done without (the debug sequences were just ok, with over the top 'I'm not good enough' narrative elements), but they didn't detract from the overall experience for me because those elements were so short and few and far between.

Ah well. Great, great stuff. I hope they do a sequel on the PS5, as I don't want to wait until the PS6 for another entry.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants to play a really fun action game with over the top weapons, excellently executed story, insane levels of detail, unprecedented real time rendering quality (at least that I have seen!), and plenty of charm.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yeah. My god what a load of hard work to open a case, take the disc and put in.

In all seriousness, you will come here crying when they ban your console and all your digital library become useless.

You completely ignored his point of actually having to sell the game and made some lame point about having to put disks in.

As far as the banning goes, don't be ridiculous, how many threads out of the thousands of gamers on here have you seen.complaining about that? 0.000000000000000000001%.
Probably more likely to win the lottery since sony isn't keen on blocking customers from buying more games after they just sold hardware at a loss. Seriously borderline trolling at this point.

JeloSWE

As a rogue lite, Returnal is incredibly poorly designed. It is one of my least favorite Housemarque games.
Each to their own of course but it's one of the best games from a game play perspective I've played in years. It just controls so well it's hard to put down the controller regardless of how many times I died. It also has an amazing setting, mood and music. The story is hard to grasp as it's obviously left vague. I had a few gripes here and there but I don't get how it could be considered poorly designed, I see it more as a fairly hard core game with deliberate decisions not everyone will like.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
But then they would have to play Returnal.

giphy.gif
As a rogue lite, Returnal is incredibly poorly designed. It is one of my least favorite Housemarque games.
Good for you. Bad games need love too.
tenor.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just finished the game and earned the platinum trophy.

Here are my thoughts: Solid game. Tons of fun and well worth playing for anyone who owns a PS5 and most importantly for those who enjoyed the previous games. Graphics are outstanding and is a beautiful game. I played the game in Performance RT mode and never recalled any significant drops. That is very impressive that they could get this game at 60 fps with any sort of ray tracing.

Complaints:
1. Game was wayyyyyy too short. The length of the game felt more in line with the 2016 game, which was not full price and Into the Nexus. Very tough to swallow with a $70 price point. Do not spend the extra to get the $80 version.
2. The missions didn't seem to have much variety.

bender

What time is it?
Finished this evening. The visuals are mind bending. It's a great entry in the series. I do wish they would have leaned into the rift mechanic a lot more for puzzles and throughout the game.

Finished this evening. The visuals are mind bending. It's a great entry in the series. I do wish they would have leaned into the rift mechanic a lot more for puzzles and throughout the game.

I finished it as well.

David Jaffe was completely right in calling this "An Uncharted game mixed with Pixar". The set pieces are crazy, arguably bigger than the recent ND and SSM games.

The level of production as a whole is significantly better than the previous Ratchet games and it really elevates the gameplay with how animated it all is.

It's also a pitch-perfect game. There's really not a single dull moment and it all goes by so fast. This one will be HIGHLY replayable and I wish other Sony devs would take a queue from them when it comes to pacing (*COUGH NAUGHTY DOG*)

I finished it as well.

David Jaffe was completely right in calling this "An Uncharted game mixed with Pixar". The set pieces are crazy, arguably bigger than the recent ND and SSM games.

The level of production as a whole is significantly better than the previous Ratchet games and it really elevates the gameplay with how animated it all is.

It's also a pitch-perfect game. There's really not a single dull moment and it all goes by so fast. This one will be HIGHLY replayable and I wish other Sony devs would take a queue from them when it comes to pacing (*COUGH NAUGHTY DOG*)
i can only imagine where they will go next with the franchise...
i liked Rachet and clank before , ths game made me Loveee the series

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I guess I hate the Uncharted comparison and would also hate if it were compared to any of Sony's other AAA efforts as Ratchet seems like the last man standing when it comes to games that are light hearted and don't take themselves too seriously.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I finished it as well.

I just finished it as well. +1 on the pacing. I immediately started ng+ and quickly got to the third world. The combat is so good.

The setpieces were great but i wish they did more with the rift mechanics. The first setpiece in the trailers was the best and they don't really go back and do that again.

The story also didn't hook me after a strong beginning. I was hoping for more character development but it was mostly standard stuff. Both miles and Spiderman are leagues ahead of it in terms of stakes and character drama.

great game. But I'm gonna have to put it behind returnal and re8.

I just finished it as well. +1 on the pacing. I immediately started ng+ and quickly got to the third world. The combat is so good.

The setpieces were great but i wish they did more with the rift mechanics. The first setpiece in the trailers was the best and they don't really go back and do that again.

The story also didn't hook me after a strong beginning. I was hoping for more character development but it was mostly standard stuff. Both miles and Spiderman are leagues ahead of it in terms of stakes and character drama.

great game. But I'm gonna have to put it behind returnal and re8.

I agree with most things but I will say that it found the story to be quite charming. It added some new characters which added some more depth to the series

I don’t think miles is really ahead, but I am extremely fond of the original Spider-Man storytelling…the ending in that game is so good.

The rifts are under utilized. Blizar prime is the best showcase.

the way it ended made me feel like rift apart was just the intro to a potential series finale where both ratchet and rivet find the truth about the Lombaxes

I wouldn’t be surprised if they go right into making the next ratchet game and maybe wrap that character arc up, if not the series as a whole

I wouldn’t mind it, but secretly I do want to see what IG could do if they made something crazy like a JRPG inspired new IP with that cartoony art style…or maybe use the Sony IP with Ghostbusters…or bring back Resistence

so many awesome games this studio could make

Dthomp

I just finished the game and earned the platinum trophy.

Here are my thoughts: Solid game. Tons of fun and well worth playing for anyone who owns a PS5 and most importantly for those who enjoyed the previous games. Graphics are outstanding and is a beautiful game. I played the game in Performance RT mode and never recalled any significant drops. That is very impressive that they could get this game at 60 fps with any sort of ray tracing.

Complaints:
1. Game was wayyyyyy too short. The length of the game felt more in line with the 2016 game, which was not full price and Into the Nexus. Very tough to swallow with a $70 price point. Do not spend the extra to get the $80 version.
2. The missions didn't seem to have much variety.

Just finished the game, gotta go back for a couple trophies for the platinum, but you're spot on. It's been a while since I played a Ratchet, but this felt EXTREMELY short to me. Like this should have been 40-50 bucks short. It's beyond beautiful, but if it took them this long to make this short 10-12 hour game I'd rather not worry about all the fancy graphics options and develop more story and gameplay so that I don't feel ripped off (Which I really think I don't, but man it's close).

Missions did feel like they all just blended together after awhile. Saw another user comment on the story not keeping you hooked, and I kind of felt that way after the opening, and it didn't really pick back up for me til the end of the game. Glad I played it, but there's no way I would suggest somebody go out and buy a console just for this game, and I did really enjoy my time (Wish there would have been twice as much)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just finished the game, gotta go back for a couple trophies for the platinum, but you're spot on. It's been a while since I played a Ratchet, but this felt EXTREMELY short to me. Like this should have been 40-50 bucks short. It's beyond beautiful, but if it took them this long to make this short 10-12 hour game I'd rather not worry about all the fancy graphics options and develop more story and gameplay so that I don't feel ripped off (Which I really think I don't, but man it's close).

Missions did feel like they all just blended together after awhile. Saw another user comment on the story not keeping you hooked, and I kind of felt that way after the opening, and it didn't really pick back up for me til the end of the game. Glad I played it, but there's no way I would suggest somebody go out and buy a console just for this game, and I did really enjoy my time (Wish there would have been twice as much)
In regards to the story, one huge complaint is that in order for the story to advance it often required the protagonist to do something extraordinarily stupid. I’m specifically referring to the part where Ratchet inexplicably calls Clanks name when he is right behind Nefarious and the part where Rivet wins the arena battle and gloats losing the Dimensionator. I get that the story needs to advance but I find moments like that in storytelling to be so lazy. There were other spots but those two really stuck out.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I wrapped up the plat. The main story took 9 hours to clear. The plat took 18. I don't think the game is worth $70 for people that just want to do the main story since it is so short. The playtime to get the plat makes the price a bit easier to swallow. Although all the optional stuff wasn't really that much fun or all that interesting, so there is that to consider. This is only my second plat. Most games have one or a few trophies that seem really annoying to get so I never bother. This game was really straight forward.

After 18 hours my impressions from earlier in the thread mostly stand. Solidly made game with amazing graphics, but the gameplay is nothing special and not all that exciting. The graphics gave me a bunch of "wow" moments, but the gameplay never did. The story is really bad and the humor falls flat. I'm going to settle on 6.5/10 for this one.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I had a weird instance last night where after i hit one of those time travel crystals, when i warped back, the entire level was gone and i was standing on nothing lol

Had to jump and eventually i fell and died. After it reloaded the full level was there. That's been the only weird glitch i've ran into so far. Otherwise the game has been awesome!!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

lol at forever. Sony literally just just shutdown PS3 and Vita stores, Driveclub cant be bought digitally anymore, and while you can still download those games for now, there is no guaranteee these companies wont try and find a way around it.

As for Ratchet's length. I dont know, I had no problems with it. My total playtime is 23 hours according to PSN. I am around 4 hours into my NG+ playthrough. I think a 15-17 hours campaign is just fine. I finished RE8 in just under 10 hours and didnt feel ripped off. 15 hours is basically the same length as TLOU Part 1 and Uncharted 4. IIRC, Spiderman also took around 15 hours for me to finish everything in my first playthrough. Cant complain about that.

I did spend a lot of time in the arena so maybe that's why it took me over 15 hours?

My biggest issue with the game is that they needed at least one more open world level. Ratchet didnt get his own flying level which is very disappointing. The nighttime sequence in the opening rift setpiece isnt even in the game. It looked amazing and then you only get to visit the boneyard level during daytime as Rivet. The finale was intense, but again, let me fly around and shoot stuff. The final boss fight pretty much an arena fight which is very disappointing for a next gen game. It feels like a launch game in that respect. I suspect they just ran out of time at the end and couldnt really do anything too ambitious.

P.S I feel bad for everyone who played this in the Performance RT mode. It looks good but not next gen like the Fidelity mode.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I played this game over the weekend and it was good, it looked technically amazing, but I gotta say that sometimes it didn't look as good as I hope it would be, it's mostly the artstyle which probably didn't click with me. But apart from that it looks super nice, everything just "runs" and it's great game to play. Definitely will revisit again when I got PS5.

Played ~2 hours at my brother place over the weekend.

Imtjnotu

This might be the buggiest game I've played in awhile lol. Whole parts of some maps missing, getting stuck in cracks between walls all the time, game randomly phasing me through walls and then acting like I fell off a clip and dying.

Still fun as hell but boy a mess

SlimySnake

I played this game over the weekend and it was good, it looked technically amazing, but I gotta say that sometimes it didn't look as good as I hope it would be, it's mostly the artstyle which probably didn't click with me. But apart from that it looks super nice, everything just "runs" and it's great game to play. Definitely will revisit again when I got PS5.

Which levels did you play? I think the open world levels dont look as good the more linear levels.

This might be the buggiest game I've played in awhile lol. Whole parts of some maps missing, getting stuck in cracks between walls all the time, game randomly phasing me through walls and then acting like I fell off a clip and dying.

Really? try reinstalling. no bugs whatsoever in my runs. Sounds like an SSD issue.

Dr Bass

No issues here at all. Never had any maps missing, or going through walls. That sounds bizarre.

Did you play Sargasso? Maybe the one the level that looked the most "game like" to me and not "movie like".

This game should have stolen the Doom Eternal's weapon wheel where the time slows considerably while choosing the next gun.
Imo it really messes the combat groove when you halt the game all the time. I really like to use different weapons and level them up so some times the game feels like a slide show.

sendit

Yeah. My god what a load of hard work to open a case, take the disc and put in.

In all seriousness, you will come here crying when they ban your console and all your digital library become useless.

Yikes....1996 called and said you should come back.

MacReady13

I love this game so much. Finished and now going through it again (all on performance RT which looks STUNNING)!

Playing the game the only bugs I experienced were some characters walking around in circles (very rare) and I get stuck on a surface but found a way to move. Other than that- perfect.
I did however experience something on my new game playthrough- I was on the level where you hit the purple crystal to change the world around you. I hit the crystal and my screen froze, console and controller wouldn't work and it just turned off my console. Once I turned the PS5 back on it did the whole bullshit about me not turning off my console correctly and fixing my external drive. Very weird as it's never happened before...

Still, I love this game. Easily the best game to date on PS5 and quite simply the best looking game i've ever played. I can not imagine what Insomniac (or any 1st party company) will do on PS5 in the years ahead.

Last edited:
Beat the story 100% and got the platinum today. Did all the different challenge cups, found all items on every planet. Got every weapon to level 5 and upgraded them all too.

What a fantastic game. My PSN profile says I played 47 hours. Took tons of pictures in photo mode and soaked in the sights. The 3D Audio with the Pulse 3D headset was amazing. I was really happy they had a preset option for the headset itself. What an amazing game.

Imtjnotu

No issues here at all. Never had any maps missing, or going through walls. That sounds bizarre.

Did you play Sargasso? Maybe the one the level that looked the most "game like" to me and not "movie like".

the amount of times ive been stuck or shifted through a wall or just had glitches is usually in the dozens per hour of playing this. normally find switching the visual modes just resets where im currently at and fixes the issues of being stuck or missing map pieces

Last edited:

SlimySnake

On NG+, you get a bolt multiplier if you dont get hit. I just got 60k bolts.

Apologies for not using quick select for the weapons. i typically just use the sniper and the mini machine gun.

Top Bottom