• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Trigger Warning. Game mode bitching coming up.

I took some Game mode and Vivid mode pictures on my LG CX because I was blown away by how drab and dull the image looked compared to vivid which has the same color setting (55) as my game mode. I think we are giving up way too much for input lag and not utilizing these amazing TVs to their fullest.

I wont even label these because it should be obvious which one is game mode. Both were captured on Performance RT.

r98qbdS.jpg

27uPOGL.jpg

PwKIaWu.jpg

Lqe2Byr.jpg

Again, same color settings. Game mode just kills the colors. All of them. Red, Blue, Yellow. Yes, the input lag is bad, but i was able to adjust to it after some time.

I would highly suggest you guys try it out yourself. you would be shocked at the difference in visual quality.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

I took some Game mode and Vivid mode pictures on my LG CX because I was blown away by how drab and dull the image looked compared to vivid which has the same color setting (55) as my game mode. I think we are giving up way too much for input lag and not utilizing these amazing TVs to their fullest.

I wont even label these because it should be obvious which one is game mode. Both were captured on Performance RT.

r98qbdS.jpg

27uPOGL.jpg

PwKIaWu.jpg

Lqe2Byr.jpg

Again, same color settings. Game mode just kills the colors. All of them. Red, Blue, Yellow. Yes, the input lag is bad, but i was able to adjust to it after some time.

I would highly suggest you guys try it out yourself. you would be shocked at the difference in visual quality.
Top images look like the color saturation is too low, bottom images look like they have some post-processing going on.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

r98qbdS.jpg

27uPOGL.jpg

PwKIaWu.jpg

Lqe2Byr.jpg

Samsung and LG seem like providing garbage IQ in game mode then. Sony TV's tend to go more towards IQ in gaming with slightly higher input lag.

makaveli60

r98qbdS.jpg

27uPOGL.jpg

PwKIaWu.jpg

Lqe2Byr.jpg

Yeah, I’m planning to enable live colour on my Sony XG90 for my second playthrough

r98qbdS.jpg

27uPOGL.jpg

PwKIaWu.jpg

Lqe2Byr.jpg

Dora Cant See GIF by Big Brother Naija

JeloSWE

r98qbdS.jpg

27uPOGL.jpg

PwKIaWu.jpg

Lqe2Byr.jpg

I don't have an OLED but can't you just increase saturation in game mode?

Secondly, LG OLEDs have issues with saturation when they try to go bright because they rely on the use of a White sub pixel to increase brightness. There are OLEDs that use RGB sub pixel structure but LG use WRGB which results in desaturated highlights. Playing the game on my Sony Master Series LCD, I had no issues with colors or saturation, it looked great even in game mode.

sncvsrtoip

r98qbdS.jpg

27uPOGL.jpg

PwKIaWu.jpg

Lqe2Byr.jpg

I checked ratchet in other modes than game on lg cx and disagree, color were way to vibrant, like from old first samsung oled smartphones, went back to game mode and hgig.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I think we are giving up way too much for input lag and not utilizing these amazing TVs to their fullest.

Game mode basically turns every picture processing off, try using PC mode instead, which also gives the lowest input lag but leaves some of the picture options available to play with.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Which levels did you play? I think the open world levels dont look as good the more linear levels.

Really? try reinstalling. no bugs whatsoever in my runs. Sounds like an SSD issue.
It was swamps, there.
No issues here at all. Never had any maps missing, or going through walls. That sounds bizarre.

Did you play Sargasso? Maybe the one the level that looked the most "game like" to me and not "movie like".
Oh yeah it was it, I didn't want to fuck up brothers save, so yeah.

Gediminas

Banned
I checked ratchet in other modes than game on lg cx and disagree, color were way to vibrant, like from old first samsung oled smartphones, went back to game mode and hgig.
Vivid most inaccurate video mode on LG CX, that mode blows out everything. yeah, maybe it is looking 'nicer' is some cases, but in reality no one should recommend it.

played Ratchet myself, game looks fantastic in game mode. and i have 0 problems with colors and i use recommended 50 in color.

SlimySnake

Game mode basically turns every picture processing off, try using PC mode instead, which also gives the lowest input lag but leaves some of the picture options available to play with.
Thanks. I will try that. Not sure how to activate it but I will look it up. I typically use Game Mode for PC.

Vivid and Sports increase the color to 70. I brought it back down to 55 which is what I use on game mode.

I turned off HGIG last night and the picture became much more bright and colorful right away. HGIG is trash. I dont care how accurate it and how much Vincent and other tech youtubers want me to use it but its turned my OLED into a cheap TCL tv and i hate it.

I don't have an OLED but can't you just increase saturation in game mode?

Secondly, LG OLEDs have issues with saturation when they try to go bright because they rely on the use of a White sub pixel to increase brightness. There are OLEDs that use RGB sub pixel structure but LG use WRGB which results in desaturated highlights. Playing the game on my Sony Master Series LCD, I had no issues with colors or saturation, it looked great even in game mode.
How do I do that?

JeloSWE

Thanks. I will try that. Not sure how to activate it but I will look it up. I typically use Game Mode for PC.

Vivid and Sports increase the color to 70. I brought it back down to 55 which is what I use on game mode.

I turned off HGIG last night and the picture became much more bright and colorful right away. HGIG is trash. I dont care how accurate it and how much Vincent and other tech youtubers want me to use it but its turned my OLED into a cheap TCL tv and i hate it.
HGIG isn't trash, OLED is trash when it comes to handling HDR. OLED simply lacks the brightness to reproduce the games as they should look (before you rage at me, so does many LCD TV and most monitors as well). Using automatic tonemapping is a band aid albeit a pretty good one.
How do I do that?
I never told you to do anything, I just explained that LG OLEDs use a sub pixels structure containing an additional White led to make the image brighter. This in turn as a negative affect on saturation on the brighter elements.

SlimySnake

HGIG isn't trash, OLED is trash when it comes to handling HDR. OLED simply lacks the brightness to reproduce the games as they should look (before you rage at me, so does many LCD TV and most monitors as well). Using automatic tonemapping is a band aid albeit a pretty good one.

I never told you to do anything, I just explained that LG OLEDs use a sub pixels structure containing an additional White led to make the image brighter. This in turn as a negative affect on saturation on the brighter elements.
Nah, not going to rage at you. The lack of brightness in HDR was pretty apparent to me coming from a KS8000 and the Sony x900H. Those damn youtubers kept saying how the LG CX was around 800 nits last year but it wasnt until this year when they ran some tests and found out that its actually closer to 600 nits which is pretty shit compared to the 1000 nits LEDs.

JeloSWE

Nah, not going to rage at you. The lack of brightness in HDR was pretty apparent to me coming from a KS8000 and the Sony x900H. Those damn youtubers kept saying how the LG CX was around 800 nits last year but it wasnt until this year when they ran some tests and found out that its actually closer to 600 nits which is pretty shit compared to the 1000 nits LEDs.
Hehe, and here I am on a 1700 nits Sony and thinking it's just barely scraping by. I'm very keen on a +2000 nit display.

Also, those measurement are often in inaccurate vivid modes on a very small portion on the screen for a very brief amount of time.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
What’s the consensus of game length for this if you aim to do as much side content as possible?
I just finished the game last night and took my time with it. I'm guessing about 10-12 hours? Definitely could have done it faster and I didn't grab absolutely everything along the way...all the armor pieces and stuff you need for the 'mystery weapon.' I really enjoyed this game though. R&C continues to have a fun and humorous storyline and the gameplay is lighthearted and fun. Played on "normal" difficulty this first time and it wasn't super easy, but wasn't hard. I didn't have to re-try any section more that 2, maybe three times. Bottom line, I really liked it. Good experience and the game and animation are just stunning.

I just finished the game last night and took my time with it. I'm guessing about 10-12 hours? Definitely could have done it faster and I didn't grab absolutely everything along the way...all the armor pieces and stuff you need for the 'mystery weapon.' I really enjoyed this game though. R&C continues to have a fun and humorous storyline and the gameplay is lighthearted and fun. Played on "normal" difficulty this first time and it wasn't super easy, but wasn't hard. I didn't have to re-try any section more that 2, maybe three times. Bottom line, I really liked it. Good experience and the game and animation are just stunning.

My PSN profile said 46 for me lol

Not sure how it counts the time. But I did a lot of photo mode. Took my time. Explored everything. Collected everything and did a bit of challenge mode after to get the Platinum.

Any idea how the PSN tracks game time?

sncvsrtoip

Finished in 15h (without finding all collectables), great graphics, good narration, enjoybale gameplay. Few bugs during game that need restart checkpoint, didn't like virus sections. Logic puzzles were ok but little too much. In the end best platformer/shooting kid style game I've ever played, 9/10.

sncvsrtoip

depending on game I'm using dynamic tone maping or hgig, In ratchet especialy in first city level hgig looks better for me but usually also prefer brighter dynamic tone mapping

Sinthor

Gold Member
My PSN profile said 46 for me lol

Not sure how it counts the time. But I did a lot of photo mode. Took my time. Explored everything. Collected everything and did a bit of challenge mode after to get the Platinum.

Any idea how the PSN tracks game time?
Oh you know what...I totally spaced checking the time on PSN. I know that PSN tracks ALL time you have the game up and running. So if you're sitting at the menu for an hour....it still registers that hour. It' s the total time that application/game is open on your console.

SlimySnake

Saw this on era. I dont ever want to hear how the PS5 is RDNA 1.5 ever again.

E4aq3JWXwAkroIU

Last night, I was replaying one of the final levels, fully open world with lots going on in the skybox and the ship had reflective flooring. I realized that the smaller ships that fly around in the skybox were all getting reflected. There are dozens if not a hundred ships that populate the skybox and for some reason I assumed that they would be excluded from the reflections. Absolutely mind blowing moment right there.

Fredrik

E4aq3JWXwAkroIU

Last night, I was replaying one of the final levels, fully open world with lots going on in the skybox and the ship had reflective flooring. I realized that the smaller ships that fly around in the skybox were all getting reflected. There are dozens if not a hundred ships that populate the skybox and for some reason I assumed that they would be excluded from the reflections. Absolutely mind blowing moment right there.
Yeah I only started playing last night but for me this is the top visuals for consoles. Graphics, density and design is on a whole other level. First game that is worthy wearing the ”next gen” label. Insomniac is the new King on visuals. Lets see how many years it takes for anyone to top this.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The game feel short to people because it's super easy so you go throught the game with not much opposition from the enemies.

I had to purposely forget to use the weed gun and ice gun and i was still super OP most of the times.

GymWolf

E4aq3JWXwAkroIU

Lol dude with all the incredible pics in that topic you choose to use the one where even a blind man can see the difference in detail between the real model and the much less detailed reflections model?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

SlimySnake

Lol dude with all the incredible pics in that topic you choose to use the one where even a blind man can see the difference in detail between the real model and the much less detailed reflections model?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Talking about ray tracing here. The other pics look better but this is the best use of ray traced reflections i have ever seen.

Paulxo87

I'm on my second playthrough. I sit about 8 feet away from a 75" X900H in quality mode.

It is the most technically and visually impressive game that you can currently play at the moment. This is not up for debate. Of particular note is the sheer amount of robots/enemies/whatever can be on screen at one time all maintaining the same visual quality. Especially in areas such as the nefarious club and the club/hang out bar where the battle arena lies. Un real.

i feel like it is perhaps 2-3 hours short though and I wish the planets had a few more side missions to do... 8.5 from me

Last edited:

ultrazilla

A huge thank you to my brother Solarstrike Solarstrike who sent me a generous digital wallet code for the PS Store. I IMMEDIATELY bought Ratchet and Clank.

Simply mind blowing. This *is* next generation right here. While the graphics are pretty much PIXAR quality IMO, I really want to give credit to Insomniac over
the utilization of the "next gen SSD". Virtually no loading time. When going back to play your saved game from the PS5 homescreen to in game play...it's only
seconds. It's really down to how fast the human can hit the buttons to pick and choose their file because everything else is pretty much instantaneous loading wise. It's stunning.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart will be "Game of the Year" 2021 for the Playstation 5

Graphics are incredible, play control is tight and responsive, the haptic feedback implementation for the Dual Shock controllers is fun, the musical score is brilliant, load times
are pretty much non-existent, level/planet/course designs are very well done with a variety of different play modes and combat is always fluid and dynamic.

10/10

Below: Official Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart screenshots from the official Insomniac website here:

Official Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart website

RACRA_Grunthor_Legal-scaled.jpg

RACRA_Juggernaut_Legal-scaled.jpg

RACRA_NefCity_Bazaar_Legal-scaled.jpg

RACRA_RatchetCU_Legal-scaled.jpg

GymWolf

Talking about ray tracing here. The other pics look better but this is the best use of ray traced reflections i have ever seen.
Same here, it wasn't clear?!

I usually disable this stuff on pc even if i have a rtx gpu.

When in spidey and this one i noticed that rtx reflection are not really accurate 1:1 reflections but just less fake reflection (but still fake) i disabled that stuff.

In ratchet i forced myself to give multiple chances to these rtx effect and close to the final part of the game there was a scene with a crystal clear close up of ratchet face and his reflection and when i saw that the reflection was basically his ps2 model in terms of facial details i had a gigantic laugh and then disable it for good.

I'm sorry but i'm not gonna sacrifice resolution or framerate for something that is still a fake ass effect.

I don't know if reflection on stuff like control or metro exodus pc are more detailed tbh.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
When in spidey and this one i noticed that rtx reflection are not really accurate 1:1 reflections but just less fake reflection (but still fake) i disabled that stuff.

In ratchet i forced myself to give multiple chances to these rtx effect and close to the final part of the game there was a scene with a crystal clear close up of ratchet face and his reflection and when i saw that the reflection was basically his ps2 model in terms of facial details i had a gigantic laugh and then disable it for good.

I'm sorry but i'm not gonna sacrifice resolution or framerate for something that is still a fake ass effect.
What is fake about the reflection? It is called real time raytraced reflections. Insomniac Games did an outstanding job here in terms of that. Might even call it industrie leading.

It is one thing if you don't like it but a completely different story to call it fake and diminish their effort and accomplishment.

Some uneven surfaces should break the light and defuse the reflection.

I also had a gigantic laugh about your hyperbolic comparison with the PS2 model.
It is missing the fur ok but the rest looks top notch.

GymWolf

What is fake about the reflection? It is called real time raytraced reflections. Insomniac Games did an outstanding job here in terms of that. Might even call it industrie leading.

It is one thing if you don't like it but a completely different story to call it fake and diminish their effort and accomplishment.

Some uneven surfaces should break the light and defuse the reflection.

I also had a gigantic laugh about your hyperbolic comparison with the PS2 model.
It is missing the fur ok but the rest looks top notch.
Well fake seems like the right term when the object reflected have less details than what they are reflecting, you are literally watching something different.

Sure in the heat of the moment it looks perfect, but doesn't change the fact that those are not 1:1 reflections, if i watch myself in a mirror i want to see every single details of my face, not an approximation, we can argue about semantics but i'm not diminishing insomniac work, they can still be the best when it comes to rtx reflections, but it doesn't change the fact that we are still far from 1:1 reflections.

And it's not only the fur that change, a lot of microdetails are different, and the scene that i was talking about only show the face of ratchet so i'm only judgying that, in the pic that slimy posted the noticeable difference is the fur but it's hardly the only one, you just can't see it because the reflected model is not close enough for an inspection.

A lot of people didn't even noticed the loss of details in spidey reflections so i don't expect people to notice the same flaw on ratchet.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Well fake seems like the right term when the object reflected have less detailsthat what they are reflecting, you are literally watching something different.

Sure in the heat of the moment it looks perfect, but doesnt change the fact that those are not 1:1 reflections, if i watch myself in a mirror i want to see every single details of my face, not an approximation, we can argue about semantics but i'm not diminishing insomniac work, they can still be the best when it comes to rtx reflections, but it doesn't change the fact that we are still far from 1:1 reflections.

And it's not only the fur that change, a lot of microdetails are different, and the scene that i was talking about only show the face of ratchet so i'm only judgying that, in the pic that slimy posted the noticeable difference is the fur but it's hardly the only one.
It is still a game and of course far away from reality.

If the base line for argumentation is that you are not satisfied by the fact that it is not a 1:1 pitch perfect reflection, which seems impossible as of now, than we can gladly stop to argue.

GymWolf

It is still a game and of course far away from reality.

If the base line for argumentation is that you are not satisfied by the fact that it is not a 1:1 pitch perfect reflection, which seems impossible as of now, than we can gladly stop to argue.
But i never said that it is insomniac fault or anything like that, we just lack the power to make 1:1 reflections, the stuff on pc probably has the same problem, maybe less because nvidia gpu are generally better with rtx stuff but i'm not even sure about that.

And the "it's still a game so it can't look like reality" it's kinda of a weak narrative.
It's a matter of power\tech not ready enough, not the fact that it is a videogame, in 10 years from now every VIDEOGAME is gonna have far better reflections (and light system and animations etc.).

You can always do better with tech advancements over the course of the years.

Con-Z-epT

And the "it's still a game so it can't look like reality" it's kinda of a weak narrative.
It's a matter of power\tech not ready enough, not the fact that it is a videogame, in 10 years from now every VIDEOGAME is gonna have far better reflections (and light system and animations etc.).

You can always do better with tech advancements over the course of the years.
Of course you are right in terms of the advancements the future will bring but up until then it is definitely a "narrative".

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I don't know if reflection on stuff like control or metro exodus pc are more detailed tbh.
You know I am not a fan of wasting precious GPU resources on RT stuff. I am perfectly fine with Forza Horizon 5 not using RT and focusing on increasing graphical fidelity instead. I dont know if you saw my posts in Metro Exodus threads but sub 1080p just to do RT GI in a last gen game is a gigantic waste of GPU flops.

However, there are times where ray traced reflections add depth to an image. To me, it's no different than having dozens of NPCs and extra detail on screen. It just livens up the image. I typically dont even pay attention to the reflections and view them up close like Alex does. I just take in the atmosphere like I usually do for good looking games without reflections. Spiderman Miles had a lot of indoor areas that had reflective surfaces and it was incredible fighting in those areas and seeing how dynamic the environment felt despite the lack of destruction.

And that dynamism is what I want out of next gen the most. I dont care if its destruction or how NPCs realistically react or weather or lighting shifting, I want games to feel alive, and RT reflections help make that happen in ways screenspace reflections just cant.

But I will concede they are not needed in every game. Forza Horizon and Horizon Forbidden West look just fine without it. Forza is doing fully dynamic lighting without needing to do RT GI. RT is just a means to an end and I am fine with games that use their GPU power elsewhere.

Fredrik

Can’t say I agree on this, Ratchet & Clank looks amazing in performance RT, it’s by far the best mode and a showcase what this generation can bring. Non-RT performance mode just deactivate RT and increase the resolution, complete waste imo. And fidelity is 30fps so that’s not an option.

GymWolf

Can’t say I agree on this, Ratchet & Clank looks amazing in performance RT, it’s by far the best mode and a showcase what this generation can bring. Non-RT performance mode just deactivate RT and increase the resolution, complete waste imo. And fidelity is 30fps so that’s not an option.
I jumped from performance rt to performance for the whole game, i just don't care about rtx effects in general but in some levels like the pirate bar i left them activated.

Top Bottom