• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart HDR Analysis + Best PS5 Settings for LG, Sony and Samsung TV’s

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

We analyse the HDR output of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on the PS5, and recommend the best [Adjust HDR] HGiG settings for LG OLEDs (C1, G1, CX, C9, etc.), Sony 2021 OLED TVs (A90J & A80J), as well as Samsung Neo QLED (QN95A, QN90A) & QLED televisions.

Timestamps:
===========
0:00 Intro to Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart HDR analysis
0:30 Does Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart use HGiG?
7:51 Best Settings for LG OLED (LG C1, CX, C9)
9:23 Best Settings for Sony OLED (A90J & A80J)
11:58 Best Settings for Samsung Neo QLED + QLED
14:51 WCG (Wide Colour Gamut) analysis

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Informative. Will set that up tomorrow when I get the chance to try this.

Using a 65"CX.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This will probably get a lot of LOL reactions but stop playing games on game mode. They downgrade the picture quality and produce a drab duller image conpared to other modes.

I recently tried out vivid and sports modes while watching the horizon trailer and it was a night and day difference. So you get higher input lag, big deal. Think of it is a hard mode modifier. The visual upgrade is worth it if you are a true graphics whore. I mean i spent $2,000 on this fucking tv and I'm downgrading the colors? Why?

Gonna try ratchet on vivid settings today and compare with game mode.

On LG CX*

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

This will probably get a lot of LOL reactions but stop playing games on game mode. They downgrade the picture quality and produce a drab duller image conpared to other modes.

I recently tried out vivid and sports modes while watching the horizon trailer and it was a night and day difference. So you get higher input lag, big deal. Think of it is a hard mode modifier. The visual upgrade is worth it if you are a true graphics whore. I mean i spent $2,000 on this fucking tv and I'm downgrading the colors? Why?

On LG CX*
Turn on Dynamic Contrast to Medium or High when playing on Game HDR and you will have the colors pop again.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I tried HGiG and it was just too dark for my liking, noticed the game uses PS5 performance mode to reduce frame times, outputs at 120hz.

On LG CX*
The input latency increase is not minor, we are talking many frames of added latency. Game mode on LG CX doesn't have downgraded colors if you know how to calibrate. Switch to Warm 2 color temp.

TonyK

On LG CX*
You are right about image quality but input lag is too high for me in those modes. If you want to play in the best graphic mode, as you said you are a graphic whore as me, you will play PS5 games in 30fps quality mode. And at 30fps, another TV mode different from Game mode is unplayable for me due to input lag.

bargeparty

On LG CX*

You've just ruined any shred of possible credibility you could have by saying this.

DiscoDave

The input latency increase is not minor, we are talking many frames of added latency. Game mode on LG CX doesn't have downgraded colors if you know how to calibrate. Switch to Warm 2 color temp.
I've had an lg b8 and currently have a b9 and you are right game mode doesn't get a downgrade and warm 2 is best.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I used warm 2 for movies, but warm 1 for games. warm 2 is too brown for games. Dont know how t calibrate, but ive followed all the tech youtubers settings to the letter. Game mode looks good, but other modes look way better.

You are right about image quality but input lag is too high for me in those modes. If you want to play in the best graphic mode, as you said you are a graphic whore as me, you will play PS5 games in 30fps quality mode. And at 30fps, another TV mode different from Game mode is unplayable for me due to input lag.
Yeah, i will stick with game mode for now, but will just enable Dynamic Contrast and set the colors to 55 or 60.

Last edited:

Excess

This will probably get a lot of LOL reactions but stop playing games on game mode. The downgrade the picture quality and produce a drab duller image conpared to other modes.

On LG CX*
b567QI8.gif

You deserve what's coming to you, sir.

On LG CX*
I have a Sony 4K LED tv that's a few years old and I never put it in game mode either, the input lag is like 80ms without it but that doesn't bother me a bit, I never have issues in fighting games or anything else. Some people make it sound like that kind of lag breaks the game or something lol it's totally fine for the vast majority of people. I just leave it in the standard mode with the tweaks I've made and it's perfectly fine.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is no image downgrade on lg c1 oled in game mode. It just disables stupid enhancements.
It is very color accurate once I set to warm50 (closer to 6500k). It's vivid mode that is cold , blue and oversharpened

Last edited:

On LG CX*

Why not use game mode and change the color temperature instead?

AGRacing

Gold Member
Those settings dulled the "HDR pop" on my LG C9. Setting tone mapping to "ON" and recalibrating using the Sony menu instructions resulted in a beautiful range of bright color for me. Although I'm sure it's not technically accurate... I made sure I was seeing proper detail in dark and light areas. As long as I can do that... I vastly prefer the "pop" especially in games that look like this.

GustavoLT

I Have a Oled CX now, is there a way to get rid of banding!? I thought hdmi2.1 would solve this... but it is persistent in some games (sky in spiderman)... came from KS8000

sncvsrtoip

On LG CX*
hehe yeah I watched horizon in standard mode and game and defenitly better visuals in standard mode (lg cx)

bargeparty

Cut him some slack, his retinas probably melted ages ago from playing games on vivid mode.

On a serious note, people can do whatever they want with their tv settings, I just don't want anyone claiming vivid or such modes are better or bring out how games should look or whatever. Modes like that are actually over saturated, over processed, introduce black crush, etc.

bargeparty

I Have a Oled CX now, is there a way to get rid of banding!? I thought hdmi2.1 would solve this... but it is persistent in some games (sky in spiderman)... came from KS8000

LG should have a setting called 'smooth gradation.' I believe that will help, look it up.

dotnotbot

On LG CX*

LG CX doesn't degrade quality in game mode compared to other accurate presets. Vivid mode isn't quality. If you want to play your games in vivid mode your eyes have issues, not game mode.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

LG should have a setting called 'smooth gradation.' I believe that will help, look it up.

Unfortunately LG is pretty meh when it comes to gradient handling and smooth gradation on CX works really bad (does almost nothing).

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Timestamps:
===========
0:00 Intro to Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart HDR analysis
0:30 Does Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart use HGiG?
7:51 Best Settings for LG OLED (LG C1, CX, C9)
9:23 Best Settings for Sony OLED (A90J & A80J)
11:58 Best Settings for Samsung Neo QLED + QLED
14:51 WCG (Wide Colour Gamut) analysis

I hope they put a another beautiful game like Gravity Rush 2 in 4k. Or SoTC....

The most impresives games... Another is Horizon FW

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
I used warm 2 for movies, but warm 1 for games. warm 2 is too brown for games. Dont know how t calibrate, but ive followed all the tech youtubers settings to the letter. Game mode looks good, but other modes look way better.

Yeah, i will stick with game mode for now, but will just enable Dynamic Contrast and set the colors to 55 or 60.
Warm 1/2 is probably too yellow/brown because the color balance is off. I thought the same until I took time to calibrate it. Try going with Rtings settings if you haven’t yet: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled/settings

Still takes some getting used to but I understand where you’re coming from since default Warm sometimes looks like the PS360 era piss filters

dotnotbot

Why nobody does this stuff for panasonic oled?!

Pana OLEDs have an option to turn off tone-mapping so you can set HDR in the same way as he shows for A80J/A90J.

This year he talks a lot more about gaming features in his reviews so when JZ2000 arrives he will test for HGiG and other stuff.

Last edited:

saintjules

General Fixes & Polish

• Improved general game stability
  • Prevented players from getting stuck if a weapon video does not play
  • Addressed an issue where the player could become stuck during the Phantom chase
  • Addressed an issue where Rivet could spawn without the hammer
  • Addressed an issue where Rivet could become stuck after collecting Zurpstones in Challenge Mode
  • Various additional fixes
  • Disabled automatic 120 Hz display output in Performance modes
    • Prior to this update, if "Enable 120 Hz Output" was set in the system settings, using the Performance RT or Performance mode would auto-detect a 120 Hz-capable display and use a 120 Hz output mode. While this did not change the game's frame rate, it did reduce input latency by ~8 ms. However, entering this mode introduced visual compatibility issues with some displays that we didn't feel comfortable imposing automatically on players. We're exploring ways to re-introduce this input latency reduction feature in a future update.

Top Bottom