• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart previews dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

shubik

Going from playing a Pixar movie to soap opera feeling gamey looks. No thanks, 30fps quality mode ftw

If it looks like a soap opera on your screen you probably have to adjust something. Had the same thing with my Samsung 4k with movies. 60FPS is worth every penny compared to 30FPS and slightly higher fidelity.

makaveli60

If it looks like a soap opera on your screen you probably have to adjust something. Had the same thing with my Samsung 4k with movies. 60FPS is worth every penny compared to 30FPS and slightly higher fidelity.
No, it’s the 60fps itself that looks like soap opera to me. It looks fast in a weird way. Not just this game but almost everything and any game on any screen. If it has very good motion blur like Doom or CoD MW then I don’t mind it that much but would still prefer cinematic 30 fps. Yes, I’m serious and I know I’m the odd one here.

Last edited:
No, it’s the 60fps itself that looks like soap opera to me. It looks fast in a weird way. Not just this game but almost everything and any game on any screen. If it has very good motion blur like Doom or CoD MW then I don’t mind it that much but would still prefer cinematic 30 fps. Yes, I’m serious and I know I’m the odd one here.

I understand what you mean. 60FPs games feel great but on consoles sometimes they look weird to me. On PC I just tweak things to make it look correct but I can't do that on consoles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:
So there's this weapon that let you bring objects from other dimensions, and you can bring a f*cking Thunderjaw from Horizon
nnTfLtM.png

Increasing framerate in film artificially from 24fps to something higher using that artificial frames thing creates a soap opera effect. High framerate isn’t necessary for cinema at all it doesn’t really do shit - for games it is much more useful

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Interesting.. I did a little digging, and this seems.. not entirely accurate.

They paid Vox to put ads all over the documentary. The doc contains a bunch of IE9 advertisements.. this happened way before the consoles were out, and has kinda nothing to do with their editorial department.

Sony also buys / has bought ads from Polygon.

In fact Sony helped them launch by being one of their major backers, and must have had some sort of similar video advertising:

Nation and The Verge have broken through the noise of most online advertising by setting up direct content sponsorships in which big brands can, for example, advertise around a specific video series, connecting with precisely the quality and direction of editorial that they want. The fact that the sites largely avoid the much-derided practices of aggregators and content farms in favor of building passionate communities (be they fans of the Philadelphia Eagles or the Android operating system), also helps attract magazine-quality advertisers.

Polygon launches out of the box with backers in Geico, Sony, and Unilever. They hope to attract more of those kind of sponsors going forward, but Grant knows that they have to earn it by producing the quality of experience of which he was initially skeptical. With The Verge as a guide, he's a convert. But what about everyone else?

So yes.. MS bought ads on Polygon... their early attempt at making money involved selling ads on video series.. apparently Sony did the same.

Time it took me to figure this out: I read the reddit thread, it's all in there... took 2 minutes lol

You guys gonna stop spreading the conspiracy theory?

Probably not lol

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting.. I did a little digging, and this seems.. not entirely accurate.

They paid Vox to put ads all over the documentary. The doc contains a bunch of IE9 advertisements.. this happened way before the consoles were out, and has kinda nothing to do with their editorial department.

Sony also buys / has bought ads from Polygon.

In fact Sony helped them launch by being one of their major backers, and must have had some sort of similar video advertising:

So yes.. MS bought ads on Polygon... their early attempt at making money involved selling ads on video series.. apparently Sony did the same.

You guys gonna stop spreading the conspiracy theory?

Probably not lol
Dude, Geis confirmed it. He was one of Polygon's founders.

The $750K is a separate thing that has nothing to do with ads.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Dude, Geis confirmed it. He was one of Polygon's founders.
Did you read my post?

Polygon sold ads on video series.. that's.. what they did early on... it's literally the "idea that started the company."

That's what Microsoft paid for.. Sony was an early backer too.. likely had ads on some other video series.

The point of the video series was to make money.. selling advertising.. hence why the ad buy was more expensive than the cost.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Did you read my post?

Polygon sold ads on video series.. that's.. what they did early on... it's literally the "idea that started the company."

That's what Microsoft paid for.. Sony was an early backer too.. likely had ads on some other video series.

The point of the video series was to make money.. selling advertising.. hence why the ad buy was more expensive than the cost.
Ok.

IntentionalPun

It was literally their business model:

From wikipedia

The site uses a "direct content sponsorship" model of online advertising used by SB Nation and The Verge.[1] For example, a video series sponsorship pairs brands with specific editorial content.

You sponsor specific content.. the Microsoft deal was for Internet Explorer 9...

Here's what displays at the end of the video series episodes:
4E7EhA5.jpg

It's not a conspiracy.. it's advertising.

Last edited:

CamHostage

So there's this weapon that let you bring objects from other dimensions, and you can bring a f*cking Thunderjaw from Horizon
nnTfLtM.png
I can totally see insomniac bringing in other iconic Sony characters using this weapon.
Whoa... That's a clever little use of SSD fun that hasn't been shown, a weapon that could pull something random out of a cache. That stomping thing could potentially be anything in the game (and in this case the Horizon Thunderjaw is on the disc I assume,) but then it could also go find something unexpected, or that cache could have an internet connection that just goes and gets some random figure from the Insomniac server when it refreshes, and that one full-scale character comes into gameplay within a second of you pulling the trigger.

Maybe today, its a Thunderjaw, maybe tomorrow Selene from Returnal falls and blasts away then jumps back into the rift, maybe the day after giant Astro Bot or a Warhawk... whatever gets pre-filled to show up could just be there on the SSD, waiting to be called up into gameplay action.

(*Technically, you could do some kind of randomized rift-gun with just a regular hard drive too, but I bet they got the idea from wondering what would happen if they tried make use of the new SSD tech with a gun, and they got this.)

Last edited:

Krathoon

The only problem with a PS5 is that damn optical disc drive has to spin up when you start it. It does it with game discs for some reason.

Duchess

The only problem with a PS5 is that damn optical disc drive has to spin up when you start it. It does it with game discs for some reason.
The PS4 used to do this, too.

The random spinning is the annoying bit. Sony have taken steps to dampen it somewhat. The noise level of the spinning also seems to be heavily dependent on the disc itself. Ghost of Tsushima always sounded like my PS5 was getting ready to chop down a Giant Redwood. Mortal Shell*, on the other hand, was pretty quiet.

(* - oh, I was so disappointed with that game)

nowhat

If it's the same as on a PS4, the disc is like a physical DRM check. Yes, the game will be installed on the SSD, but the console has to verify you also have the physical media.

Three

Man I don't even care that they got $750,000 from MS but that PS4 vs Xbox One coverage was comical at the time. I rememer they gave Call Of Duty Ghosts 0.5 points less on PS4 "because we think the framerate is lower". Turned out that was not only bullshit but when games that actually had a big framerate difference on PS4 like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition this rule of theirs went out the window on every game after. Arthur Gies was the one who coined MS secret sauce too.

LordCBH

Man I don't even care that they got $750,000 from MS but that PS4 vs Xbox One coverage was comical at the time. I rememer they gave Call Of Duty Ghosts 0.5 points less on PS4 "because we think the framerate is lower". Turned out that was not only bullshit but when games that actually had a big framerate difference on PS4 like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition this rule of theirs went out the window on every game after. Arthur Gies was the one who coined MS secret sauce too.

I legit though everyone knew Gies was a talentless fanboy that somehow got a “journalist” job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom