• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Review Thread

kyliethicc

Knack died so Rivet could live. :messenger_heart:

9zpW03S.jpg

What a ridiculous take... I mean, pretty much all games are for kids anyway, right, as mainstream media was painting for years? If it doesn't look hyperrealistic, it's a kids game.
Not even close. You surely wouldn’t say TLOU II or RE8 are kids games? Bugsnax, Ratchet, Mario certainly are and there’s no shame in that, there are a lot of kids in this world, they should have something to play. If you don’t feel stigma playing Mario or Ratchet as a 40 year old, more power to you but it’s not like you are target demographic, don’t kid yourself.

ZywyPL

Banned
Thank goodness MILLIONS of people disagree, or we might not have gotten a new game huh ;)

I love the huge emphasis on "millions" when R&C games sell at around just 2-3M... Of course it's gonna be hyped up through the roof on this forum, just like Godafll, Destruction AllStars, Sackboy Adventures and Returnal were before, but the reality is there isn't that much of a demand for R&C, most people see it as a kids game to begin with, hence they don't even bother. It's a small, very simple game that doesn't cost a fortune to make but does bring a good chunk profit, that's all, and having multiple 10/10 review scores and GOTY awards won't change any of that. I actually won't be surprised if the newest one won't do as well a recent R&C games due to 70€ price tag to be honest, because like I said, most people see it as something that belongs to Nintendo Switch, and pricing it like it's next CoD or GTA doesn't make any sense for most people out there.

On topic:
Somewhere between 85-95. I can already see the headlines - "the best R&C game up to date!", "a true next-gen experience!", "next-gen starts now!", "SSD is a game-changer!" and so on, while in reality it'll be the same (20 year) old Ratchet where nothing changes other than prettier graphics.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I love the huge emphasis on "millions" when R&C games sell at around just 2-3M... Of course it's gonna be hyped up through the roof on this forum, just like Godafll, Destruction AllStars, Sackboy Adventures and Returnal were before, but the reality is there isn't that much of a demand for R&C, most people see it as a kids game to begin with, hence they don't even bother. It's a small, very simple game that doesn't cost a fortune to make but does bring a good chunk profit, that's all, and having multiple 10/10 review scores and GOTY awards won't change any of that. I actually won't be surprised if the newest one won't do as well a recent R&C games due to 70€ price tag to be honest, because like I said, most people see it as something that belongs to Nintendo Switch, and pricing it like it's next CoD or GTA doesn't make any sense for most people out there.
I've never seen anyone say that. Can you quote anyone who wasn't trolling?

mejin

065.gif

LMJ

h

"I love the huge emphasis on "millions" when R&C games sell at around just 2-3M"

You love the fact I emphasized "millions" when their (R and C games) sell...millions? The rest of your post is also silly, but you sir gave me quite a

Reaction Lol GIF by MOODMAN

skit_data

Did anyone really hype Godfall and Destruction Allstars? Afaik the common consensus is that those games are indeed shit

Returnal on the other hand, is a really good game IMO. Maybe not for the faint of heart, but a good game nontheless.

noise36

Another GOTY contender from Sony.

This post sums up that post.

I like Ratchet and Clank but, all said and done, it is a kids game, and it won't do anything new.

I have it pre-ordered on amazon its my first ps5 game, will play it with my 6 year old.

People seem to hype every sony exclusive as GOTY, and when it rates poorly its a hidden gem and the reviews were wrong.

I would guess based on the last game, that this game looks like a prettier version of, that its a 7.5-8/10 game which Sony polish will push up to 8.5/10, perhaps even new generation exclusivity hype pushing it up to 8.75/10

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nintendo sell a fuckload of copies of these childish games at 60 dollars tho.
I think people are ready to spend the same amount or a bit more for something nintendo style with higher production values.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don’t care if it score 0. Just make it same or better than the previous one and I would be more than happy. True next gen starts with this for me (I don’t care about DS or Returnal).

Sony exclusive so will review at least 10 higher than other games due to hyperbole…

90 so actually 80. I love Ratchet but this looks like more of the same, just a bit nicer looking. And no matter how much I love it, waiting for sale. Price is insane.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Sony exclusive so will review at least 10 higher than other games due to hyperbole…

90 so actually 80. I love Ratchet but this looks like more of the same, just a bit nicer looking. And no matter how much I love it, waiting for sale. Price is insane.

You were saying?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
If it scores 90+ the usual suspects will tell us all the reviewers were paid off and they don't matter anyway. Round and round we go.

ZywyPL

Banned
Nintendo sell a fuckload of copies of these childish games at 60 dollars tho.
I think people are ready to spend the same amount or a bit more for something nintendo style with higher production values.

Exactly, because they perfectly target their audience, as oppose to PS/XB gamers where the most sold/played games are the dude-bro titles, targeted to mature audience. The last Ratched sold like 3.5M as far as I know, which was the highest number for the series, given the 115M PS4 userbase, that's not really much.

Last edited:

engstra

Game looks excellent but never been a huge fan of the series. Since I was a kid it always looked like it was more about guns than a 3D platformer. That said, do the Ratchet games have any collectathon-ing?

Orta

Banned
I think the score will come down to the quality of sweeteners Sony dishes out to the press.

NikuNashi

Not even close. You surely wouldn’t say TLOU II or RE8 are kids games? Bugsnax, Ratchet, Mario certainly are and there’s no shame in that, there are a lot of kids in this world, they should have something to play. If you don’t feel stigma playing Mario or Ratchet as a 40 year old, more power to you but it’s not like you are target demographic, don’t kid yourself.
If you feel stigma playing Mario then you must be very insecure, play whatever you enjoy. Im 40 and watch pepper pig with my son and enjoy some of the episodes no fucks given. The only people differentiating between kids and adults games are the immature people with deep insecurities.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's gonna be sick. The remake was tied to the movie and suffered a bit. Still a fantastic game though considering it was a largely faithful remake of a PS2 game.

This one is continuing off of the PS3 games which were amazing. I have no concerns about this game not being a AAA homerun. Hopefully new players try it out, incredibly fun series.

Interfectum

On topic:
Somewhere between 85-95. I can already see the headlines - "the best R&C game up to date!", "a true next-gen experience!", "next-gen starts now!", "SSD is a game-changer!" and so on, while in reality it'll be the same (20 year) old Ratchet where nothing changes other than prettier graphics.
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

begotten

It'll be mid 80s at best just like the 2016 release, which is fine for a non-Mario 3D platformer these days.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’ll definitely play this for the world and visuals but the gameplay has always left me unimpressed. With the last game, I only felt a tinge of excitement from gameplay when I finally got the jet pack and fought a boss with it.
It was a jolt to do something besides run forward through a tornado of nuts and bolts, whilst button mashing.

If you feel stigma playing Mario then you must be very insecure, play whatever you enjoy. Im 40 and watch pepper pig with my son and enjoy some of the episodes no fucks given. The only people differentiating between kids and adults games are the immature people with deep insecurities.
Totally agree with this, but especially when it comes to Ratchet, I don't feel like it's being targeted towards kids with a secondary target of adult gamers, I think it is targeted entirely towards catering for both adult fans of the series and new players of any age. Labelling certain games as 'for kids' is pretty dumb, imo.

Top Bottom