• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart weighs in at a nimble 33GB, "sizes are getting smaller on native PS5 games"

PlayStation 5 exclusive Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart weighs in at a nimble 33GB.

That's 33.618GB, to be exact, according to Twitter account @PlaystationSize.

I expected Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart to take up more of my PS5 SSD, so it comes as a welcome surprise to see Insomniac's adventure arrive on the smaller side.

"Sizes are getting smaller on native PS5 games due to the compression techniques and SSD!" Insomniac community chief James Stevenson explained on Twitter.

My PS5 is currently taken up with 186GBs of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, 148GBs of Black Ops Cold War, 105GBs of Mass Effect Legendary Edition, and 42.51GBs of FIFA 21. I can fit Ratchet in no problem!

Donlan recently went hands-on with Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and called it "a PS5 stress-test built from charm". It's due out 11th June.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dj Khaled Ciroc French Vanilla GIF by Ashanti

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm starting to think that M2 port on the bottom of the PS5 will become as useful as the parallel port on the original PlayStation.
It is puzzling what is holding them back, what the pacing item is (lots of guesses thrown at the wall), but at least is pushing them to push devs to reduce the install size.

I am not sure what is happening with multiplatforms on XSX|S though, according to some it is because to make the cause of people that bought the pricey memory card add-on to play across XSX and XSS without downloading additional assets (which is an edge case) which contributes to people needing more space and this the card itself. Then again, I am not sure if it is correct, but this is not the theory Sony fans came up with either :).

Last edited:

kinjx11

Banned
there's a day1 update which should be a big one, it includes performance mode and photo mode so i think the game should be 40gb+ in size which is still small tbh

My bet is on the cut-scenes videos compression, for example Nvidia's shadowplay can capture a 30minutes 4k 60fps @ 60mbps h264 and the video file would result in just 9gb, PS5 could be using WebM/AV1 in the game to save space then use the audio engine to upscale the audio files to High resolution with ease and that is common in android phones recently, if i remember correctly MGS4 was huge back in the day because of the video/audio files not the game's textures

Mr Moose

there's a day1 update which should be a big one, it includes performance mode and photo mode so i think the game should be 40gb+ in size which is still small tbh

My bet is on the cut-scenes videos compression, for example Nvidia's shadowplay can capture a 30minutes 4k 60fps @ 60mbps h264 and the video file would result in just 9gb, PS5 could be using WebM/AV1 in the game to save space then use the audio engine to upscale the audio files to High resolution with ease and that is common in android phones recently, if i remember correctly MGS4 was huge back in the day because of the video/audio files not the game's textures
Might already have the day one patch included, can someone check their digital preload what version it is currently?

I don't think they use videos for cutscenes.

Arun1910

What I found most impressive after reading this was that Miles Morales on Ps5 is 25% smaller than than PS4 version thanks to compression. I guess PS5 only titles will stay a reasonable size. Maybe that small hard drive they included relative to new game sizes isn’t that small after all

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It is puzzling what is holding them back, what the pacing item is (lots of guesses thrown at the wall), but at least is pushing them to push devs to reduce the install size.

I am not sure what is happening the the multiplatform son XSX|S, according to some it is because to make the cause of people that bought the pricey memory card add-on to play across XSX and XSS without downloading additional assets (which is an edge case) which contributes to people needing more space and this the card itself. Then again, I am not sure if it is correct, but this is not the theory Sony fans came up with either :).

Yup, when PS5 games enjoy 30% size difference on average compared to X|S you don't really need to be bitching about extra storage that often.:messenger_winking:

ethomaz

Banned

Cutscenes are real-time.
There is no pre recorded video.

Last edited:
What I found most impressive after reading this was that Miles Morales on Ps5 is 25% smaller than than PS4 version thanks to compression. I guess PS5 only titles will stay a reasonable size. Maybe that small hard drive they included relative to new game sizes isn’t that small after all
I agree with that except the vast majority of games we play will be cross platform 3rd party and they wont really care - see COD

They still need to get that expansion bay going asap

ethomaz

Banned
I agree with that except the vast majority of games we play will be cross platform 3rd party and they wont really care - see COD

They still need to get that expansion bay going asap
Most crossplatform releases has smaller size on PS5.
It is already on PS5 SDK when you do the package… it is not that hard to use it is like automatically.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yeah, I love that about my PC, but also, gone are the days I packrat dust collecting storage space in games I “will someday play again if ever.” I just keep installed what is in actual rotation now. Life is simpler that way.
Yeah I got current games and my favs installed from years past. You are right no real need for it, more like a luxury option.

Warnen

Why would I if I don't need to? I can download the games again within minutes, no internet caps, and that's in worst case scenario. Still ~200GB available on my SSD.

Nice, have fast internet (900ish mbps) and no data caps here still to slow for my taste and I pay a fortune for it. it does work well with all the video streaming my home uses but waiting 20-30 mins to play a game isn’t for me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nice, have fast internet (900ish mbps) and no data caps here still to slow for my taste and I pay a fortune for it. it does work well with all the video streaming my home uses but waiting 20-30 mins to play a game isn’t for me.

You can play something while it's downloading? Also it can be 7-11min in some games with just 200Mbps for initial start: (not my screenshot, just an example)

game-download-ps4.jpg

Anyway, options are always welcome. I had 2TB on my PS4/Pro and never saturated those, even when I only had 16Mbps (uncapped as well, all ADSL/Fiber are uncapped here anyway except 4/5G) for years and fully digital.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I usually open the app and click download when I’m at work or the like, ready and waiting when I get home. Man tech has come a long way, wasn’t too long ago we were bitching about the Steam Trojan horsed into HL2 and complaining as we installed and played it, lmao.

Warnen

You can play something while it's downloading? Also it can be 7-11min in some games with just 200Mbps for initial start: (not my screenshot, just an example)

game-download-ps4.jpg

Anyway, options are always welcome. I had 2TB on my PS4/Pro and never saturated those, even when I only had 16Mbps (uncapped as well, all ADSL/Fiber are uncapped here anyway except 4/5G) for years and fully digital.

sadly for some reason I usally have shit connections with MS and Sony servers, rarely over 40mbps if that. Can take all night to download a hand full of games. Steam/epic usually max out though.

I always end up with more storage then I need, rather have and not use them need and not have type of guy. If something is above 50% used I get the shivers lol.

Md Ray

For someone like me who lives in a small rural village, moving from 2Mbps to 100Mbps (not too long ago) was like a godsend lol. And just switched to unlimited data like two days ago...

Last edited:

nowhat

I usually open the app and click download when I’m at work or the like, ready and waiting when I get home. Man tech has come a long way, wasn’t too long ago we were bitching about the Steam Trojan horsed into HL2 and complaining as we installed and played it, lmao.
Just you wait when you're finally able to score a PS5. I was completely blown away by a) the app gives notification when a game is playable, b) the app gives a notification when a game has been completely loaded, and c) if don't have enough space on your console, you can remove games from the app. The first time I was able to do this felt more next-gen than any game so far.

ethomaz

Banned
sadly for some reason I usally have shit connections with MS and Sony servers, rarely over 40mbps if that. Can take all night to download a hand full of games. Steam/epic usually max out though.

I always end up with more storage then I need, rather have and not use them need and not have type of guy. If something is above 50% used I get the shivers lol.
If that is the case your IPS is making it slow… talk with them.
There are several IPS that filter downloads to try to economize bandwidth lol

It is illegal btw.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If that is the case your IPS is making it slow… talk with them.
There are several IPS that filter harm downloads to try to economize bandwidth lol

It is illegal btw.
Are we sure Sony/MS don’t have capped uploads? Or are they uncapped now like Steam?

ethomaz

Banned
Are we sure Sony/MS don’t have capped uploads? Or are they uncapped now like Steam?
Well I’m not sure but I can reach the max of my IPS contract… 250Mbps with PSN servers.

So at least Sony is not capping below 250Mbps.

BTW that is download my upload I believe is 100Mbps max but I rarely check if it is using it all on PS5 or not.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So when they drop the list of Ps5 compatible SSDs you aren’t going to upgrade?
Me neither. Not upgrading the internal storage any time soon, if ever. The 825 GB really is more than enough in most cases, especially with my 4TB HDD that I use for cold storage.

I can store 8-10 games in PS5 internal storage, and I hardly play more than 3 at a time. If I need to swap a game, I connect and use the external HDD.

Top Bottom