• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart weighs in at a nimble 33GB, "sizes are getting smaller on native PS5 games"

For me that would be pointless, I use the Storage card to move games between multiple machines, I'm sure MS said they would allow other manufacturers and sizes so eventually there will be more options. However for now it's a pretty convenient solution for me as you get more space than the internal drive.

It's still a lot more expensive than if they went with standard external SSDs. Having it be exclusive to a few brands really jacks up the price. I doubt it's going to ever be as cheap as an NVME that you can buy for a PC.

SLB1904

Banned
i get impressed everytime i read the title. this is insane. everyone predicted this gen to have cod size games. no one thought we would have sub 100gb games let alone sub 40gb

the "other option", were it available on the XSX/S, it probably would have been available from day one, since the internal drive is an off-the-shelf part that clock at a standard 2.4gb/s on a PCI3 bus. Any no-brand NVME could be used.

And those are really cheap right now. If it was the PS5 you would have to go with a 7GB/s drive which are expensive at the moment.

As I said earlier it's basically a case tax with Microsofts solution.

Last edited:

Garani

Well only if you open the XSX up. That internal drive is replaceable but it's more tricky to do that then just buying one of those Seagate drives. No idea when Microsoft will allow you to upgrade the internal drive.

At the moment, it ain't that easy. MS seems to criptographically link the internal drive with the box. This means that if it fails, you'd have to bin the whole console, unless there is an option that allows you to install the OS on a brand new NVME drive.

And those are really cheap right now. If it was the PS5 you would have to go with a 7GB/s drive which are expensive at the moment.

As I said earlier it's basically a case tax with Microsofts solution.

Well, up to lask gen you would actually replace the HDDs within the boxes. With the SSDs it will be basically impossible to fix a broken SSD: PS5's it's soldered on the board, XSX/S are linking the drive to the box and you can't boot to install the OS from scratch.

don’t worry when they hit ps5 you will do a 180 on the price as usally with the excuse well they will come down eventually…

we all know how it plays out for a Sony fan. Critize until acceptance.. It a loop every time

So you’ve dropped the bargain bin pc ssd argument faster than the ps5 ssd speeds I see..

No actually if Sony was doing the same I’d call them out too, rip off proprietary shit is a rip off no matter who does it. Sony did the same with the vita shit. Luckily the ps5 will have 3rd party options so they’ll be some choice In price.

If the price is silly like series x ( nearly the same cost as a series s ffs) then I’ll call that too. I have no idea what loop you are referring to, that must be the persecution complex kicking in where the fanatics need to make up a false narrative to make themselves feel better.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
don’t worry when they hit ps5 you will do a 180 on the price as usally with the excuse well they will come down eventually…

we all know how it plays out for a Sony fan. Critize until acceptance.. It a loop every time

So you wanna compare a low-tier, DRAM-less, 4-channel, 2x PCIe lanes 2.4GB/s to a top-tier, with DRAM, 8-channel, 4x PCIe lanes 7GB/s NVMe m.2 SSD? I mean that's more than double the quality, so by your logic it should be priced at $500 instead. It would be a bargain in quality at least, but most likely a bargain in quality and price.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So you’ve dropped the bargain bin pc ssd argument faster than the ps5 ssd speeds I see..

No actually if Sony was doing the same I’d call them out too, rip off proprietary shit is a rip off no matter who does it. Sony did the same with the vita shit. Luckily the ps5 will have 3rd party options so they’ll be some choice In price.

If the price is silly like series x ( nearly the same cost as a series s ffs) then I’ll call that too. I have no idea what loop you are referring to, that must be the persecution complex kicking in where the fanatics need to make up a false narrative to make themselves feel better.

?

what bargain bin pc ssd argument?

quality, speed and size cost $$ even on the PC.

Warnen

So you wanna compare a low-tier, DRAM-less, 4-channel, 2x PCIe lanes 2.4GB/s to a top-tier, with DRAM, 8-channel, 4x PCIe lanes 7GB/s NVMe m.2 SSD? I mean that's more than double the quality, so by your logic it should be priced at $500 instead. It would be a bargain in quality at least, but most likely a bargain in quality and price.

Can’t compare witch does not exist…

Bo_Hazem

Banned
starts a conversation then gets mad when you get an answer…

Nah, the conversation took too longer than needed, because this game isn't coming on PC nor Xbox. If you have an external SSD, use it. If you don't have one, use your internet to redownload games when needed. If you don't want to then wait until the last option is available as the market still can't offer sustainable performance nor have high enough specs to match the internal SSD.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

It's like when someone tells you if you have a corolla you can drive for 700km/miles with 40 liters of petrol, then a smart guy says that his HD truck can do that with 200 liters tank.

when-a-finger-points-at-the-moon-the-imbecile-looks-at-the-finger-quote-1.jpg
Well thats the shitist proverb i've seen to date. If you didnt look at the finger, how would you know what they was doing in the first place..

Derp.

Warnen

Nah, the conversation took too longer than needed, because this game isn't coming on PC nor Xbox. If you have an external SSD, use it. If you don't have one, use your internet to redownload games when needed. If you don't want to then wait until the last option is available as the market still can't offer sustainable performance nor have high enough specs to match the internal SSD.

bring up other consoles in your 2nd post in this thread then pretends to be offended others do the same…

Never change it’s priceless.

MrA

Banned
Insomniac's Community Director:

Odd thing to say considering r&c ps4 was 25 gb, I guess 33 is smaller than 25 in the future due to inflation or something
texture compression and reduced duplication will stymie the ever-growing file sizes of games, but it isn't a magic bullet or anything, hopefully, ray tracing eventually eliminates the need for shadow and light maps as that will slow the sprawl of size, but games are going to keep getting bigger on average.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Odd thing to say considering r&c ps4 was 25 gb, I guess 33 is smaller than 25 in the future due to inflation or something
texture compression and reduced duplication will stymie the ever-growing file sizes of games, but it isn't a magic bullet or anything, hopefully, ray tracing eventually eliminates the need for shadow and light maps as that will slow the sprawl of size, but games are going to keep getting bigger on average.
Not at all.

There is a world of difference b/w Ratchet & Clank (2016) and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Most people expected Rift Apart to be more than 50 GB, with the higher-quality textures and 4K assets. The fact that it is just over 30 GB is amazing.

Also, Spider-Man Miles Morales on PS5 is roughly 20% smaller than PS4. Same game but with 4K assets and ray-tracing, but it is still smaller on PS5. So James is absolutely correct.

To be fair compatible drives are probably already out. And will decrease in price overtime. All we are waiting on is for them to be enabled on the system.

At this point your arguing against the obvious.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not at all.

There is a world of difference b/w Ratchet & Clank (2016) and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Most people expected Rift Apart to be more than 50 GB, with the higher-quality textures and 4K assets. The fact that it is just over 30 GB is amazing.

Also, Spider-Man Miles Morales on PS5 is roughly 20% smaller than PS4. Same game but with 4K assets and ray-tracing, but it is still smaller on PS5. So James is absolutely correct.
Its amazes when some ppl look at it without factoring how much more is being put in the next gen games.

....like....if they remade the 2016 games for PS5....there is a good chance it would be smaller......we see this with damn near every cross gen game on PS5 right now.....

And Spider-Man Remastered....its basically the same size as the PS4 version, off by 1GB. But...the Remaster comes with all 3 DLC campaigns included. Include the DLC for the PS4 version and I think its 70+GB.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Its amazes when some ppl look at it without factoring how much more is being put in the next gen games.

....like....if they remade the 2016 games for PS5....there is a good chance it would be smaller......we see this with damn near every cross gen game on PS5 right now.....

And Spider-Man Remastered....its basically the same size as the PS4 version, off by 1GB. But...the Remaster comes with all 3 DLC campaigns included. Include the DLC for the PS4 version and I think its 70+GB.
True. And yes, SM + DLCs on PS4 is around 75 GB. I've it saved in my external HDD.

Next-gen games are indeed going smaller, and this is amazing!

Mate jog on. Your low effort trolling has been picked apart while you ignore peoples posts. Stop embarrassing yourself now.

220 dollars isn’t good value for 1tb no matter how much spin you put on it.

I think this one is similar what the Series X has.

wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd-front-1tb.png.wdthumb.1280.1280.webp

It's a lot cheaper than the Seagate external.

EmVg0ZQW4AMN7Dk.jpg

The model number and the length is different but it's almost the same as the SN550.

Last edited:

It’s better than the series x one but apparently ‘speed and build quality matter’

😂

It’s better than the series x one but apparently ‘speed and build quality matter’

😂

Both have read speeds of 2.4 GB/s with uncompressed data.

Edit: I'm not saying it's a bad drive but it's overpriced compared to comparable drives. For around the same price you can get a 980 Pro. Which is much faster drive BTW.

Last edited:

waxer

Just buy multiple consoles if need more memory haha

Series s already discounted about 70usd here in nz 100nzd off to 447nzd

Expansion card is 400nzd
About 36ish usd difference between console and memory lol

These file sizes dropping by so much is cool. I don't buy in till mid gen when more games available and already discounts but will definitely need to go check ratchet at the brothers house.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
With a file size that small, it's probably another Miles Morales experience. Or a ton of reused assets. Nothing to do with compression.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

EmVg0ZQW4AMN7Dk.jpg

The model number and the length is different but it's almost the same as the SN550.

Yup, with $26 adapter you can transfer games in/out at a whooping 75GB/min (10Gbps max "1.25GB/s" of USB 3.2 Gen2).

Does anyone know if the digital deluxe edition…the armor sets it comes with…can they be unlocked through normal gameplay with the regular version or is the only way to get those sets is to pay for the digital deluxe edition?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does anyone know if the digital deluxe edition…the armor sets it comes with…can they be unlocked through normal gameplay with the regular version or is the only way to get those sets is to pay for the digital deluxe edition?

From what Insomniac said all can be obtained in-game. I actually bought the deluxe edition to support the devs. It comes with a comic ebook and soundtracks. But not 100% but that what I remember from the interview in Game Informer, I think.

Last edited:
Pevious entry, so a game of a same genre made by same dev, is 24.5-28 gb depending where you look.
With all the context a linear short game with DA producing simpler assets and textures overall(than more realistic DA) and who advert using all SSD features so far weights 15-25% more.
You could also somewhat compare dark souls 3 to demon's soul remake ( not same dev but I would argue ds3 is bigger with more env) and see that the ps5 game is more than double its size... .
So how did anybody came to this title conclusion when comparing exclusive ps5 games to similar games on the previous gen ?
Who knows? I bet my ass big games are gonna come at a minimum of 100gb and more likely 150gb

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

From what Insomniac said all can be obtained in-game. I actually bought the deluxe edition to support the devs. It comes with a comic ebook and soundtracks. But not 100% but that what I remember from the interview in Game Informer, I think.
I think Digital Deluxe armor is exclusive. The pre-order Carbonox armor set is unlockable.

Top Bottom