• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ray Tracing is not meaningful and is a dumbness Galore demand

Banned
Uh no, not even close. We're still just talking lighting. That is worlds away from a general pathtrace renderer... Which to this day would probably not run at all in real time despite Nvidias little demos

still, CP2077 with everything that isn't geometry being raytraced is fucking nuts.
I mean the game already looked crazy good with it's current RT turned all the way to the max, but the current version still has many screen space fallbacks that are annoying... and which should be toggleable imo.
Like, I don't want fucking screen space reflections on top of RT reflections....the whole fucking point of RT Reflections is that it's killing the temporal instability of SSR... adding SSR to "fill in the gaps" completely defeats the purpose of RT reflections 😑

that's why, for all its faults, I congratulate RE4's RT reflections, no fucking ssr fallback shit! no SSR artifacting... can't say the same for CP2077's currently RT implementation

Buggy Loop

Eeeeeeh....
I'd recommend a closer look on what the PR guys call "Pathtracing" in that case. (Hint, they lie)

Well they've done a brilliant hybrid where the RTXDI, based on ReStir can do with millions of lights with no penalty, they use that for direct illumination and then they use a path tracing solver for indirect bounces.

I mean, no, it's not a Monte Carlo Path tracing solution, but that's the point, for real-time graphics we move away from CGI solutions.

RTXDI based on ReSTIR, i can guess the solution they provided for the game as their ReSTIR PT presentation from SIGGRAPH 22.

We apply our GRIS theory in a proof-of-concept path tracing algorithm we call ReSTIR path tracing (ReSTIR PT). We build on the Falcor GPU rendering framework [Kallweit et al. 2021], and implement ReSTIR PT as chained GRIS passes, per Section 6.3. ReSTIR PT can use any shift map to reuse paths between pixels, but we implement the two from the previous section: a hybrid shift combining random replay and reconnection with our lobe specific improvements, and a simpler reconnection shift that always reconnects to the first indirect vertex. Like many path tracers, ours only evaluates the sampled BSDF lobe for BSDF-sampled vertices and evaluates all lobes for NEEsampled vertices. We treat lobe selections as additional path parameters, as described in Section 7.6, using the sampled lobe roughness to choose between reconnection and random replay.
Our ReSTIR PT implementation handles full surface-to-surface light transport. Volumetric media requires a volumetric shift map; Lin et al . [2021] implicitly defines one possibility and Gruson et al . [2018] propose another, though finding fast volumetric shifts for resampling remains interesting future work.

ReSTIR PT is an unbiased global illumination method that better handles specular light transport, thanks to supporting arbitrary shift maps. While we expect benefits to direct illumination from our GRIS theory, our implementations primarily address indirect light. We use ReSTIR DI [Bitterli et al. 2020] for direct lighting.

Don't know what witchcraft Nvidia did for this honestly. There's so many research on this subject beyond just Nvidia anyway as you can see the list of references. Generalized resampled importance sampling (GRIS) is like a memory storage for reusing arbitrary paths and they use that to derive a path traced resampler. The paper compares their solution to "naive" path tracing.

The whole point of real-time ray/path tracing for gaming is to find these tricks/algorithms to beat the other solutions and get as close as possible to reference image as quick as possible.

ReSTIR is a game changer compared to Monte Carlo algorithms for speed and noise levels
gLq3lvE.jpg

Alex11

I don't mind static and tricks if overall we get better graphics.
Uncharted 4 or tlou2 both are static and have most stuff baked but still have plenty of somewhat dynamic scenes like vick posted.

Or what Horizon2 engine is doing with like 16 time of day bakes.

If you watch some time lapses of forbidden west, there are "clear" points of change but there are a lot more of those compared to first game.

Wow this game looks so good, shame I didn't get a chance to play it. I also don't care what tricks a game is using as long as it looks good, and I don't think a game like Horizon would look the same with RT, not saying better or worse, but without a doubt it would lose some of its magic, like the very colored sunsets and sunrises, or the bright moonlight.

hlm666

you forgot EVERYTHING else.
The (very far away) end goal is not adding more and more partial RT implementations but to replace raster rendering completely.
Yeh I figured we weren't talking about going full ray/path tracing and more along the lines of what else could be bolted onto games apart from the main 3 so far. The day we totally leave rasterisation behind can't come quick enough, but I don't think we will be getting there for at least 6 years in the aaa space. Although the cyberpunk fully path traced upgrade could prove me wrong, will wait and see. I'm still waiting waiting for RTX racer aswell nvidia, I want to know if that was real or not. ;)

StereoVsn

AMD hardware is just bad at raytracing so on current consoles I agree. Cyberpunk, Metro Exodus, Doom Eternal, Witcher 3 on PC with raytracing looks amazing.
Witcher though tanks the shit out of performance unless you have a 4080 or a 4090. Otherwise yes, fully agree. Even Spiderman on PC has pretty good RTX visuals.

Cyberpunk and Metro especially are very good.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Witcher though tanks the shit out of performance unless you have a 4080 or a 4090. Otherwise yes, fully agree. Even Spiderman on PC has pretty good RTX visuals.

Cyberpunk and Metro especially are very good.

I have a 4090 and it still isnt perfect but damn does it look nice

Roufianos

Just found out part of the reason Jedi Survivor runs like complete ass is it has ray tracing enabled, even in performance mode. What a waste of resources.

JCK75

Ray Tracing will be amazing some day..
it's just in it's infancy and not currently worth the fuss..
someday it will come at less of a cost (both financial in hardware and in the form of performance hits) and will be worth it.

Buggy Loop

Just found out part of the reason Jedi Survivor runs like complete ass is it has ray tracing enabled, even in performance mode. What a waste of resources.

I confirm that this is the least of this game’s problems, as on PC without RT it still has shit performances and drops.

Top Bottom