• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ray Tracing is not meaningful and is a dumbness Galore demand

Filben

Good old SSR yeah, fuck RT
O4IgWqo.jpg

4NTbtFC.jpg

Already showed you on my previous post lol
LSH9GBJ.gif

xg5e80hrpwn81.gif

oln8xkjrpwn81.gif

metro-exodus-enhanced-edition-6.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg
Good comparisons.

It's also really good in non-photorealistic games. Say what you want about Fortnite, but it looks good with RT.

Fotnite-Site.jpg

3_wINE7T9.jpg

4_GpSEYIn.jpg
6_tpdLw30.jpg

GymWolf

RT isn’t just “reflections”, it’s things like RTAO too which makes a big difference. Casuals believe RT is just “reflections”. Its the way light properly bounces on PBR materials and how shadows properly work, giving games a more grounded and CGI or film like look…
I know, i tried all forms of rtx, i can barely notice all of these things outside of cherry picked screenshots, not just the reflections.

But i can immediately notice shitty textures, lower res\framerate.

The only one i haven't tried is the rtx revamp in metro exodus.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I know, i tried all forms of rtx, i can barely notice all of these things outside of cherry picked screenshots, not just the reflections.

But i can immediately notice shitty textures, lower res\framerate.

The only one i haven't tried is the rtx revamp in metro exodus.
RT is only really useful in certain circunstances, otherwise the increase in IQ is marginal.

Large, procedurally generated, dynamic worlds with a lot of verticality and interior areas would be the ideal use case of RT. Minecraft remains, unironically, one of the best use cases of RT so far.

On the other hand, RT in a linear game with static lightining like Tomb Raider would be barely noticeable to anyone who doesn't know what to look for.

Last edited:
RT is a great hardware development and a good thing to have. I agree though, that I don't feel it's relevant enough right now, doesn't warrant me spending hundreds of extra dollars and I will most likely prefer framerate to having it. It's a nice to have on enthusiast consumer tech.

But it's in it's infancy and we'll look back to stuff coming out now as early examples decades from now, like we look to Playstation 1 even doing 3D, or X360 doing HD. Doing so much with so little is full of caveats, basically.

Also there's no guarantee that when power becomes enough it'll still be deployed as it is today (might or might not). Basically like how 90's 3D acceleration is mostly broken on modern cards, or dependent on wrappers. Again, they were doing omeletes with barely any eggs. RT specially on current gen consoles is just that, but look at it as free sneak peak, or something like VU's on PS2 and SPE's on PS3. They're just there, so why not use them.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Vick Vick come here show these fuckers what uncharted 4 does without RT on a potato hardware
Just imagine what Naughty Dog would pull of with RT then.
Or should we announce that 2020 is the date when the graphics improvements should stop because of Uncharted 4?

Some ppl...

Last edited:
The added benefit of raytracing though, is that in the future, developers will make it the default option with no alternative. This will allow them to flip that switch automatically and save a lot of development time which can be used for other parts of the game, including optimization.
This.

Also the rest. Very nice post sir.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just imagine what Naughty Dog would pull of with RT then.
Or should we announce that 2020 is the date when the graphics improvements should stop because of Uncharted 4?

Some ppl...
RT would mean that ND would have to do poor quality but real time RT, instead of very high quality baked solution with some cheating to get dynamic lights.
I am sure we will see.
And uc4 came out in 2016. 7 years ago was the day the graphics peaked

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

you need a hell lot of imagination to see the graphics improvements since uc4 lol that is correct

If you really think that graphics cannot be improved from now on, then there is no point arguing with you. I guess the CGI movie stuff is in UE4 already, I bet Avatar 2 runs on UE4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you really think that graphics cannot be improved from now on, then there is no point arguing with you. I guess the CGI movie stuff is in UE4 already, I bet Avatar 2 runs on UE4.
Are we talking about cgi or effective game graphics in games because I know I am talking about games and uc4 stands tall about any other new game released today. Sure, games do look a bit better but it's not so obvious

thuGG_pl

Are we talking about cgi or effective game graphics in games because I know I am talking about games and uc4 stands tall about any other new game released today. Sure, games do look a bit better but it's not so obvious

Game graphics ultimate aim is to look like CGI movies. And there is a hell long way to go yet, so claiming that graphics peaked already is fucking stupid take.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
you need a hell lot of imagination to see the graphics improvements since uc4 lol that is correct
Vick Vick come here show these fuckers what uncharted 4 does without RT on a potato hardware

Bruh you can't be serious. UC4 was one of my fav game when it released and it looked incredible (still looks good). But saying that improvements after that are small or that RT wouldn't make it look better is just wrong. Even with its baked lighting there are still many things wrong. Games like UC4 would actually benefit alot if they used RT. And the graphics improved alots since UC4, and im saying that after i replayed it 4 months ago on my PS5.

6aLXQTT.jpg

QZyrdBS.jpg

HP31xNK.jpg

1t66TXW.jpg

Gaiff

RT would mean that ND would have to do poor quality but real time RT, instead of very high quality baked solution with some cheating to get dynamic lights.
I am sure we will see.
And uc4 came out in 2016. 7 years ago was the day the graphics peaked
Lol are you serious? Uncharted 4 didn't even look great in 2016, let alone in 2023. It got dunked on by games like Crysis 3 or Battlefront 2, and later Sony games like GOW. It did have nice physics and animations but nothing else about it was impressive. Bad textures, bad foliage and outside of cutscenes it didn't look good at all. TLOU2 improved immensely upon it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
When you said three platforms I almost thought you were gonna include Nintendo. But no, PC. Silly me :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol are you serious? Uncharted 4 didn't even look great in 2016, let alone in 2023. It got dunked on by games like Crysis 3 or Battlefront 2, and later Sony games like GOW. It did have nice physics and animations but nothing else about it was impressive. Bad textures, bad foliage and outside of cutscenes it didn't look good at all. TLOU2 improved immensely upon it.
wrong. What are you even saying? crysis 3 ? hahaha get out of here with this shit.
Bruh you can't be serious. UC4 was one of my fav game when it released and it looked incredible (still looks good). But saying that improvements after that are small or that RT wouldn't make it look better is just wrong. Even with its baked lighting there are still many things wrong. Games like UC4 would actually benefit alot if they used RT. And the graphics improved alots since UC4, and im saying that after i replayed it 4 months ago on my PS5.

6aLXQTT.jpg

QZyrdBS.jpg

HP31xNK.jpg

1t66TXW.jpg
Dude what are those screenshots? Are you for real?
These are my shots from last year when I replayed the game on ps5. I have 300 screenshots from that single playhrough. Are you kidding me with this crap?
Mind you this is lowly, compressed jpg off of ps5. I am playing with HDR and screenshots are compressed below 1mb.
The shit looks insane with HDR on oled.

nan7a8Z.jpg

1ddDK4i.jpg

0LREjlY.jpg

oqwtNim.jpg

5o9XeVa.jpg

eyKyo6I.jpg

nzWecC9.jpg

and one hdr screenshot although from old phone, so maybe it doesnt capture it well enough
4rKSctl.jpg

I have all my games screenshots on 1 minute randomizer on oled and every time uc4 screenshot pops in, the shit looks stunning.

Gaiff

wrong. What are you even saying? crysis 3 ? hahaha get out of here with this shit.

These are my shots from last year when I replayed the game on ps5. I have 300 screenshots from that single playhrough. Are you kidding me with this crap?
Mind you this is lowly, compressed jpg off of ps5. I am playing with HDR and screenshots are compressed below 1mb.

and one hdr screenshot although from old phone, so maybe it doesnt capture it well enough

I have all my games screenshots on 1 minute randomizer on oled and every time uc4 screenshot pops in, the shit looks stunning.
No, not this bullshit photo mode again. And the character models look way better in cutscenes. Look at what photo mode does for the image quality:

Photo Mode:

5acBUul.jpg

Actual gameplay

QNuO6oD.jpg

See how much cleaner Photo Mode looks? This is actual gameplay and not bullshit Photo Mode screenshots with filters or cutscenes.

hMIitS5.jpg

And that's from The Legacy of Thieves Collection maxed out. PS4 looks worse than this.

Last edited:

Filben

the shit looks stunning.
It does. However, levels in UC are mostly static, with a set day time, fixed spotlights and only few dynamic light sources. They can carefully place static lighting and shadows when they have full control over the world that doesn't change (unless the player triggers it and they developed another 'state' of the world) . If you have games with let's say dynamic global lighting due to day time changes (e. g. often in open world games) or interactive environment that can be altered or even be destroyed, you don't have this kind of control over the realism of a scene unless you're using ray tracing.

That's why linear games with fixed levels often look better than highly dynamic worlds you'll find in open world games.

RaySoft

Most think of what RT can do for you, but RT's most key ability is what RT can do for the devs.
Instead of having a person to painstakingly place different lightsources around in a scene, you just hand the whole job off to the engine.
It's a win-win situation really. We get more true to life lightning, and the devs can save time at the same time. The only bad side is temporary, since hardware will soon be designed around RT to a point that it will be more or less "free" anyways.

Turk1993

nan7a8Z.jpg

1ddDK4i.jpg

0LREjlY.jpg

oqwtNim.jpg

5o9XeVa.jpg

eyKyo6I.jpg

nzWecC9.jpg

4rKSctl.jpg

So outside that 1 gameplay shot, you posted 2 close up cutscene shots and 3 small interior shots from the last house (which is the best looking level). I have also played it on my 55 inch oled in HDR at 4K, finished 2 times on PS4Pro and 1 time on PS5 the remaster with the DLC. And i didn't say that it looked wrong or bad all the time, ofcourse there are good looking areas, i have even posted them some months ago in the remaster thread. But the problem is that there are still lots of areas not looking that good and RT would fix most of those areas. Showing baked lighting from small rooms and faces from cutscene is not a good way to show UC4 lighting problems during gameplay which mostly is in caves and jungles. Also photomode enhances the graphics in UC4 so next time just post some gameplay shots.
eNnlcYi.jpg

uoabV6n.jpg

y3GMHa3.jpg

LGTayhZ.jpg

FFRo9hi.jpg

It looks much much better than Forespoken i give you that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

yamaci17

I disagree. here are games where I think ray tracing is amazing

First and foremost, Witcher 3+ Cyberpunk.

Both games have stellar RTGI+Rt shadows . Yes, rt shadows is like a meme in halo and elden ring. but not in these games. its a legit huge improvement in graphics. both games have exquisite open world full day time designs that lend themselves well into the sun shadows. elden ring's open world owes its beauty to its art style and its a technical shitshow. halo is even worse.
W3 RTGI+rtao+rtshadows is a huge upgrade to visuals. it was a genuine pleasure to play the game. i already finished witcher 3 almost 3 times, and I went for the 4th

metro exodus enhanced has another supreme ray tracing implementation. breathtaking lighting. it looks so natural and beatiful and so realistic to a point it actually makes up for aged assets. (similar case for w3 too)

half life path tracing mod. amazing, simply another amazing addition. and made possible by a mere modder. you can literally see how path tracing rendepath can do the job of sophisticated renderers nowadays try to achieve with one single solution.

marvels spiderman's ray traced reflections is also another huge addition.

I'm glad I can still enjoy games at 30/40/45 FPS. most of the hate for ray tracing comes from people who does not want to compromise on 60+ FPS. I can understand them a bit. But personally, I'd prefer playing witcher 3 with full blown rtgi+40 fps instead of 120 FPS with no ray tracing. it looks that good for me personally. 40 FPS + VRR+ 120 hz is a godly smooth combo that has good input response (with full VRR+reflex) with pleasingly enough visual smoothness

Last edited:

Rippa

Only “performance/FPS” elitist would think like this.

For the people who want cutting edge tech implemented in games, they will sacrifice some performance for eye candy.

As long as it remains an option to use, threads like these shouldn’t exist.

Turk1993

I disagree. here are games where I think ray tracing is amazing

First and foremost, Witcher 3+ Cyberpunk.

Both games have stellar RTGI+Rt shadows . Yes, rt shadows is like a meme in halo and elden ring. but not in these games. its a legit huge improvement in graphics. both games have exquisite open world full day time designs that lend themselves well into the sun shadows. elden ring's open world owes its beauty to its art style and its a technical shitshow. halo is even worse.
W3 RTGI+rtao+rtshadows is a huge upgrade to visuals. it was a genuine pleasure to play the game. i already finished witcher 3 almost 3 times, and I went for the 4th

metro exodus enhanced has another supreme ray tracing implementation. breathtaking lighting. it looks so natural and beatiful and so realistic to a point it actually makes up for aged assets. (similar case for w3 too)

half life path tracing mod. amazing, simply another amazing addition. and made possible by a mere modder. you can literally see how path tracing rendepath can do the job of sophisticated renderers nowadays try to achieve with one single solution.

marvels spiderman's ray traced reflections is also another huge addition.

I'm glad I can still enjoy games at 30/40/45 FPS. most of the hate for ray tracing comes from people who does not want to compromise on 60+ FPS. I can understand them a bit. But personally, I'd prefer playing witcher 3 with full blown rtgi+40 fps instead of 120 FPS with no ray tracing. it looks that good for me personally. 40 FPS + VRR+ 120 hz is a godly smooth combo that has good input response (with full VRR+reflex) with pleasingly enough visual smoothness
Double post?

hlm666

The Finals uses RT GI so it can have good visuals and destruction, baked lighting has ruined dynamic game worlds for a whole generation. Your baked static worlds can go die in a fire, whats the point in great visuals when you cause an explosion near something like a car and it doesn't even move, let alone get damaged.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
What would make it “meaningful” and by what metrics would that be gauged?

Also everything that may be considered meaningful at some point wasn’t. There are going to be growing pains.

Turk1993

The Finals uses RT GI so it can have good visuals and destruction, baked lighting has ruined dynamic game worlds for a whole generation. Your baked static worlds can go die in a fire, whats the point in great visuals when you cause an explosion near something like a car and it doesn't even move, let alone get damaged.
Yup it perfectly shows why RT is the way to go with all that destruction. You cannot bake in all the lights in dynamic games and expect it to look right all the time. Just because some games with static worlds look good with fake baked lighting doesn't mean that RT is unnecessary.
DGkXjGM.jpg

UnNamed

Banned

nan7a8Z.jpg

1ddDK4i.jpg

0LREjlY.jpg

oqwtNim.jpg

5o9XeVa.jpg

eyKyo6I.jpg

nzWecC9.jpg

4rKSctl.jpg

Uncharted 4 used prebaked lights and probes like there's no tomorrow. It's a work made by artists and you can't have the same results with any other game if you're not Naughty Dogs with Sony behind it.

UC4 has many issue when the character is not under the sun and other 150 light sources placed by hand, like caves and big areas.

Futaleufu

Every video pointing out differences still puts subtitles, arrows or zooms the image to show you RT on vs off. Put two images and people will still ask which one has RT. That's how shallow this tech is.

Turk1993

Every video pointing out differences still puts subtitles, arrows or zooms the image to show you RT on vs off. Put two images and people will still ask which one has RT. That's how shallow this tech is.
Me and others have posted tons of screens/gifs that also doesn't have any of those and you can see immediately which one has RT.
Fotnite-Site.jpg

metro-exodus-enhanced-edition-6.JPG

oln8xkjrpwn81.gif

Hurahn7

Banned
Honestly, they should've never told game nerds about ray tracing. If they can implement it without tanking the frame rate then just do it. It's a visual setting. Of course, on PC it should be another check box in visual settings because you can just brute force it on PC. On console, you either include it on an acceptable level or leave it out. You know if ray tracing looks like ass on your game. Why let that shit out the door Many of these talented graphical artists make beautiful games without ray tracing. It's okay to admit these consoles aren't ready on a whole, although there are some really talented programmers who can get it done on a game per game basis. Those tech demos showing ray tracing are just that: a demo.

Turk1993

add this to the list. practically a 329 bucks msrp gpu

hey lowest end RTX gpu getting upwards of 50 frames at native 1080p with fully fledged RTGI? should be heresy. almost as if optimized ray tracing settings do not exist within the ray tracing scheme of things

They think it only works if you have a RTX 4090 or you need to max out at 4K to see RT. There are soo many people with a even stronger card than the RTX 2060 you showed like RTX 2070, 2070 Super, 2080, 2080 Super, 2080ti, 3060, 3060ti, 3070, 3070ti, 3080, 3080ti, 3090, 3090ti, 4070ti, 4080, 4090, and AMD RX6700 XT, 6800, 6800XT, 6900XT, 7900XT and 7900XTX. All of those cards can display RT and most of them are alot cheaper than 1000$ let alone 1500$.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No, not this bullshit photo mode again. And the character models look way better in cutscenes. Look at what photo mode does for the image quality:

Photo Mode:

5acBUul.jpg

Actual gameplay

QNuO6oD.jpg

See how much cleaner Photo Mode looks? This is actual gameplay and not bullshit Photo Mode screenshots with filters or cutscenes.

hMIitS5.jpg

And that's from The Legacy of Thieves Collection maxed out. PS4 looks worse than this.
most of my shots are not photo mode though

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So outside that 1 gameplay shot, you posted 2 close up cutscene shots and 3 small interior shots from the last house (which is the best looking level). I have also played it on my 55 inch oled in HDR at 4K, finished 2 times on PS4Pro and 1 time on PS5 the remaster with the DLC. And i didn't say that it looked wrong or bad all the time, ofcourse there are good looking areas, i have even posted them some months ago in the remaster thread. But the problem is that there are still lots of areas not looking that good and RT would fix most of those areas. Showing baked lighting from small rooms and faces from cutscene is not a good way to show UC4 lighting problems during gameplay which mostly is in caves and jungles. Also photomode enhances the graphics in UC4 so next time just post some gameplay shots.
eNnlcYi.jpg

uoabV6n.jpg

y3GMHa3.jpg

LGTayhZ.jpg

FFRo9hi.jpg

It looks much much better than Forespoken i give you that :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I played the game in 4k30 mode and it looked as sharp in gameplay as in photo mode.
it is actually good that photo mode enables 4k rendering ... for photos.
But let's not move the goal post here. I am saying that this game looks great. Not in photo mode or gameplay. I never even knew there is a difference

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Uncharted 4 used prebaked lights and probes like there's no tomorrow. It's a work made by artists and you can't have the same results with any other game if you're not Naughty Dogs with Sony behind it.

UC4 has many issue when the character is not under the sun and other 150 light sources placed by hand, like caves and big areas.
I don't care how.
I see results. Every graphics is "cheating and shortcuts".
It seems unfair to look at rasterized techniques as inferior if they are giving similar results

Top Bottom