• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reacher - Official Trailer | Prime Video

Reacher-Poster.jpg

‘Reacher’ TV Series Starring Alan Ritchson Gets Premiere Date, Trailer

Amazon’s Prime Video said Thursday that it has set a Friday, February 4, 2022 premiere date for Reacher, the series adaptation of Lee Child’s bestselling Jack Reacher novels that stars Alan Ritchson. It also unveiled the first trailer for the series, spotlighting Ritchson as the hulking ex-military police investigator who helps those most in need.

All eight episodes of the Amazon Original Series’ first season will drop on the same day in more than 240 countries and territories.

Based on Child’s first Jack Reacher novel Killing Floor, the series introduces Reacher after he just recently entered civilian life. He is a drifter, carrying no phone and the barest of essentials as he travels the country and explores the nation he once served. When Reacher arrives in the small town of Margrave, GA, he finds a community grappling with its first homicide in 20 years. The cops immediately arrest him and eyewitnesses claim to place Reacher at the scene of the crime. While he works to prove his innocence, a conspiracy begins to emerge, one that will require Reacher’s keen mind and hard-hitting fists to deal with.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Don't know if it's the video editing or something but...it doesn't look good - that acting/line delivery from the main guy is almost cringe-worthy, also, it kind of gave me that feeling of most police procedural shows, i.e, cheaply made/cheap cinematography etc.
Guess we'll have to wait and see (?).

SJRB

Gold Member
That was terrible, holy shit.

lmao at a 7 feet tall special forces gorilla beating up four scrawny college kids.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah looks like a cheap procedural detective show.

Also is this supposed to be the same character as the one from that Tom Cruise movie? Because the character is nothing alike (not just physically), so one of these adaptations got it wrong.

crumbs

Yeah looks like a cheap procedural detective show.

Also is this supposed to be the same character as the one from that Tom Cruise movie? Because the character is nothing alike (not just physically), so one of these adaptations got it wrong.
Reacher is supposed to be 6'5", so Tom Cruise misses the mark by a bit :messenger_expressionless: That said, this trailer seems to be over-compensating in the other direction: "Look Reacher is huge this time", but the rest of the production looks like ass.

Also, Prime Video Reacher looks like he spends way more money and time chest waxing than the book Reacher ever would.

Fbh

Reacher is supposed to be 6'5", so Tom Cruise misses the mark by a bit :messenger_expressionless: That said, this trailer seems to be over-compensating in the other direction: "Look Reacher is huge this time", but the rest of the production looks like ass.

Also, Prime Video Reacher looks like he spends way more money and time chest waxing than the book Reacher ever would.

I was talking more about the character itself.
It has been a while since I saw the Tom Cruise movie but I remember him being more serious and spy like. The Amazon Prime version is like the complete opposite, he seems to be really cocky

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This looks cheap. I'll watch because I enjoy the Jack Reacher books, but I'm not expecting much. Glad they're starting with Killing Floor at least.

crumbs

I was talking more about the character itself.
It has been a while since I saw the Tom Cruise movie but I remember him being more serious and spy like. The Amazon Prime version is like the complete opposite, he seems to be really cocky
Gotcha. Yes, I agree, the Amazon Prime Reacher does seem deliver a lot of stupid quips in that trailer, which is a different tone than the books or the Cruise movies. He seems more meathead than former military detective.

I felt the first Reacher movie with Cruise did a OK-ish job of adapting that book, outside of Cruise being a poor physical match for the character. I didn't like the 2nd Reacher movie at all, and this Amazon series looks unappealing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've not read many reacher books (maybe just the one they adapted for the first TC film) but isn't he supposed to be a semi vagrant that just wanders around with only the clothes on his back kinda getting sucked into scrapes and stuff? Seems hard to support all that chiseled muscle mass with that lifestyle but he sure is purdy :p

Is there a lot of serialization or carry over between books? I figure they could do 2-3 eps per book if they keep the plotting brisk but that might mean a total change out of supporting characters which is hard for TV.

A buddy of mine campaigned hard to get this role. About the only difference between him and the actor they picked is age (my friend is significantly older [looking at least]) and about 2% body fat :p

crumbs

I've not read many reacher books (maybe just the one they adapted for the first TC film) but isn't he supposed to be a semi vagrant that just wanders around with only the clothes on his back kinda getting sucked into scrapes and stuff? Seems hard to support all that chiseled muscle mass with that lifestyle but he sure is purdy :p

Is there a lot of serialization or carry over between books? I figure they could do 2-3 eps per book if they keep the plotting brisk but that might mean a total change out of supporting characters which is hard for TV.

A buddy of mine campaigned hard to get this role. About the only difference between him and the actor they picked is age (my friend is significantly older [looking at least]) and about 2% body fat :p
Yes, this guy look too well groomed to be a drifter (he's not even "Hollywood Ugly"), but I doubt any Hollywood production would cast Reacher to look as he's described in the books. He's basically a drifter Batman (detective + muscles) and the books follow an almost "A-Team" type of structure, i.e. Reacher rolls into town, encounters some trouble with the local power structure, helps the sympathetic locals out, and moves on at the end.

There a couple of characters that appear in multiple novels, but each book is mostly standalone and the releases jump around in the timeline. 8 1-hour episodes for this series seems like it would be stretching the 1 book's worth of content pretty thin, so maybe they will add elements from other books to create filler.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Well at least this dude looks more like Reacher. And with so many books to draw from this should work better as a series than a movie. Seemed kinda cheese but I'll definitely give it a chance.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It’s decent. Not as smart as it needs to be to pull off Reacher’s 24/7 Sherlock Holmes commentary through a vast interconnected conspiracy, but the side effect of that artificiality is that it propels itself forward at a good pace. Reacher also kills and brutalizes an insane number of people without consequences—again, good for keeping it fun and engaging, but not believable.

They could also give more to the other characters who are supposed to be competent, like the Harvard educated police captain. He doesn’t know that Frankenstein is the doctor and not the monster? Come on now, this is stuff you figure out as a little kid. There are other moments too, like with the boxer, that are pretty lame. Yes, boxers know about low blows too. Everyone’s always standing around waiting for Reacher to surprise attack them, even when they’re the supposed aggressors.

A lot of it plays out like it’s from an author who does a lot of research but has no real world experience. But I haven’t read the books to know how closely this follows them in the details.

It’s pulpy fun though and worth a spin.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I always remember him as aquaman in smallville whenever I see this guy.
Funny enough Kristin Kreuk is in it.
Anyway so far so good, I'm pleasantly surprised.
it's rare for a show these days to actually be good and not have any woke shit in it.
You'd think it was made 15 years ago, just quality entertainment with no BS...so far.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Watched about 30mins of the first episode, its not bad, the camera work, directing and story actually seem very good.
But the actor who plays reacher is a pretty big downgrade after Cruise, the dialogue for muscley reacher is also a bit un natural..

This big jacked guy trying to act smart seems really forced.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
This big jacked guy trying to act smart seems really forced.
While brains and brawn are certainly not mutually exclusive, I've rarely seen a show allow characters to depict the lifestyle hardships necessary to maintain their ultra cut physique.

Is reacher stopping to do the crossfit WOD twice a day and only eating chicken breast and plain rice along with a handful of supplements?

It's always been kinda eye rolly when some washed up alcoholic living on whisky and frozen pizza is somehow jacked and cut to the teeth :p

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
While brains and brawn are certainly not mutually exclusive, I've rarely seen a show allow characters to depict the lifestyle hardships necessary to maintain their ultra cut physique.

Is reacher stopping to do the crossfit WOD twice a day and only eating chicken breast and plain rice along with a handful of supplements?

It's always been kinda eye rolly when some washed up alcoholic living on whisky and frozen pizza is somehow jacked and cut to the teeth :p
Hes not that muscular. He looks bigger because hes really tall and got a big frame.

He could build that physique on about 200mg test a week, progressive overload 3x a week and 3x balanced meals a day.

But I agree movies do depict unrealistic physiques.

Check out chris evans here, who is a heroin addict and drinks loads lawyer who never works out and eats subways.

9elx.gif

Last edited:

Amiga

Entertaining, nice throwback action thriller after all the recent juvenile action movies/TV.
Ritchson is a better actor than Tom Cruise, delivers the clever lines well. Has the old Hollywood alpha male charisma. If Marvel want to recast Capitan America this guy is it.

Nankatsu

Entertaining, nice throwback action thriller after all the recent juvenile action movies/TV.
Ritchson is a better actor than Tom Cruise, delivers the clever lines well. Has the old Hollywood alpha male charisma. If Marvel want to recast Capitan America this guy is it.
Now that you mention it, he would make a good Captain America. Glad his days as Hawk are over and he gets a shot to shine as Reacher - a more natural role that he embraces well.

Last edited:
The guy kinda looks the part, but the acting stinks a bit...
The first movie was terrific...here is hoping for the TV show.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This show desperately needs the involvement of genuine action/military/gun/martial arts nerds. Better writing for Sherlock Roids would help too. I assume neither are in the cards for S2.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This show desperately needs the involvement of genuine action/military/gun/martial arts nerds. Better writing for Sherlock Roids would help too. I assume neither are in the cards for S2.
Alas, that is true of almost EVERY show. I'm of the opinion that if only a lgtb actor can play a lgtb character or if the ethnicity of actor and character MUST match, turn a vet character should ONLY be played by a vet actor, written by a vet, and preferably directed by a vet. There are 18 million vets in the US, shouldn't be hard to draw from that talent pool.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Episode one was pretty good. I read the first book and this quickly covered a good quarter of that story it seems.

I think they found the right actor for the part. The fight choreography is sudden and to the point, which is good - he didn't do kung-fu and such in the book. I think they're trying too hard to make him seem more noble than he is, more like the Tom Cruise depiction of the character from the films; in the book I read he didn't give warnings before a fight, in fact he straight up shot people in the back if it would save him a confrontation.

3.5/5 so far, but I see some potential for it to get a lot better.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Willa Fitzgerald reminds me of a blonde version of my ex. She can definitely come get summa dis.

I Googled her and wow, she is 31 - so probably 30 when this was filmed. I would have totally guessed she was 23 tops. Some people get all the good genes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anyone have any problems with the big fight scene in the 2nd last episode? Reacher is a walking Terminator/Rambo montage until he fights...that?

Dural

Anyone have any problems with the big fight scene in the 2nd last episode? Reacher is a walking Terminator/Rambo montage until he fights...that?

Yep, finished it last night and Reacher destroys everyone but this guy that he has 100lb on is able to beat his ass. Made no sense other than to have him lose at some point on the show.

I enjoyed the show, but the suspension of disbelief you have to maintain sucks. How are the Venezuelan's able to find everyone so easily (other than Hubble)? You have a police chief and multiple officers, federal agents, and university professors murdered but no one else is looking into it? Where are the county sheriff or state police? The mayor gets rid of every officer but one and no one is suspicious? It's all just so dumb. Still, it was fun seeing Reacher beat some ass.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
A solid, middle of the road 7/10 from me.

...but its going to take a serious uplift in script & action/fight scene quality, for it to be anything other than that. Some of the jumps in logic & deductive reasoning to move the plot forward, were pretty awful, TBH.

Still, if given enough time, money & care it could be really good by a season 3.

evolvaer

Banned
This show is so over the top in the portrayal of a bad ass, its almost like a 5 year old wrote it. He's smarter than everyone, but also benches 500 lbs. The whole show is waiting for people to catch up to his inhuman brilliance.

I can now only watch it if I pretend that Jack Reacher is Brock fucking Samson. Then it's funny.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
This show is so over the top in the portrayal of a bad ass, its almost like a 5 year old wrote it. He's smarter than everyone, but also benches 500 lbs. The whole show is waiting for people to catch up to his inhuman brilliance.

I can now only watch it if I pretend that Jack Reacher is Brock fucking Samson. Then it's funny.

Pretend that he is Dolph Lundgren. That dude really got the lottery. Brilliant (MIT graduate) super handsome beast of a man.

Billbofet

I am through the first two episodes and it's pretty much what I was wanting and expecting. Very, very in line with the books.
I didn't read any of the books prior to seeing the first Jack Reacher movie, but even though it is miscast against the books, that movie fucking rocks. Waaaaay better than the books and one of the tightest action procedurals out there. Man did the second movie stink though.

Back to the show, feels like a solid show you would see on ABC or CBS back in the '90s with just a little ultra-violence here and there. Episode 2 had 100% more dead guy penis in it than I was expecting.

Catphish

Sherlock Holmes: Terminator

I finished it tonight. Not bad, not great. The last episode was kinda ridiculous, but most action finales generally are.

I liked the good guys, and hated the bad guys, so they got that part right, the fight scenes were fast and thumpy, and I found the plot more or less engaging, but the further along it went, the more it strained credibility. And the special effects in ep.8 didn’t do it any favors (that single tear by Reacher… lol).

Fun for a bit of intrigue and a lot of revenge, but nothing of any real emotional or intellectual substance, apart perhaps from some legal knowledge you’ll never need but might nonetheless find interesting.

7 exploding deerstalker hats out of 10.

Last edited:
Halfway through the first episode and it is pretty decent so far. Also, I stand corrected: The guy playing Reacher just nailed it. He looks the part and acts the part...I have a hard time seeing anybody else replacing him.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
5eps in and we're enjoying it for its simplistic no balls approach, Reachers complete and utter contempt for anyone remotely acting a cunt is pure class and with his massive bulk to back it up its brought a few laughs as you watch the blood drain from people confronting him... Still waiting on him uttering "Come with me if you want to live"

Top Bottom