• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reacher - Official Trailer | Prime Video

Maybe he has been doing roids for a long time who knows? Being that huge never seem natural to me i dont know.
He's not even that huge man. There are people out there that make him look average. I'm assuming he's built good discipline and routine over time.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Maybe he has been doing roids for a long time who knows? Being that huge never seem natural to me i dont know.

I was thinking when watching Reacher, how is Jack Reacher in such good shape? I never thought about when reading the books, but the show really made me think about in detail.

In his own words, he's a hobo. He has little money, doesn't stay in the same place for more than a few days and eats shit. However, he's got the body of Greek God and would need to train at least 5 times per weak and eat every few hours to look like that. You need money, time and a gym to get into that shape.

Huge plot hole.

Valt7786

I was thinking when watching Reacher, how is Jack Reacher in such good shape? I never thought about when reading the books, but the show really made me think about in detail.

In his own words, he's a hobo. He has little money, doesn't stay in the same place for more than a few days and eats shit. However, he's got the body of Greek God and would need to train at least 5 times per weak and eat every few hours to look like that. You need money, time and a gym to get into that shape.

Huge plot hole.
I believe the books hand wave it as "genetics" all the time

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
After beginner gains, a healthy adult male with a proper weightlifting routine will generally be able to put on 1-2 lbs/month of muscle while in a caloric surplus, i.e. body fat will come with the deal. All of these 30 lbs of lean muscle in a few months celebrity transformations while maintaining an eight pack and vascularity are 100% steroids.

After beginner gains, a healthy adult male with a proper weightlifting routine will generally be able to put on 1-2 lbs/month of muscle while in a caloric surplus, i.e. body fat will come with the deal. All of these 30 lbs of lean muscle in a few months celebrity transformations while maintaining an eight pack and vascularity are 100% steroids.
He mentioned packing on 30lbs of weight, some people are claiming he was talking about the pure muscle mass. I have watched a couple of Ritchson's movies in the past and he's always been a large muscular behemoth with stellar genetics. I'm not convinced that he was pumping his body with that stuff, though he has mentioned testosterone treatment so maybe that's something?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I hope they don't adapt "Die Trying", I found that one to be one of the weaker books. If we're going with early novels, maybe "Tripwire" or "Running Blind", I think those could work in an 8 episode series format.

Die Trying was okay. I think they'll do that for season 2. Been a few years since I've read it, but IIRC the political ideology of the Montana group reflects the current political climate, so it makes sense in that regard.

I believe the books hand wave it as "genetics" all the time

I always remember him as being huge, but it was always huge as in tall, like 6'5 or taller. I don't remember anywhere him being mentioned as looking like a Greek God?

SirTerry-T

Die Trying was okay. I think they'll do that for season 2. Been a few years since I've read it, but IIRC the political ideology of the Montana group reflects the current political climate, so it makes sense in that regard.

I always remember him as being huge, but it was always huge as in tall, like 6'5 or taller. I don't remember anywhere him being mentioned as looking like a Greek God?
Lee Child's based Jack Reacher on Lawrence "Dayglo" Dalaglio...ex-Rugby Union player.
5zwNzQK.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Finally getting around to episode 1. Pretty good. the scene in the prison cell with the fatso is pretty great.

Hardensoul

I watched the whole season, but tbh the only plot element that kept me interested was whether he could eat the pie, that was quite frustrating.
All the "butch guy doing butch stuff" was entertaining in an old-fashioned way, it does convey that feeling of pulp novel/comics where the hero is a big Mary-Sue (strong, clever, resourceful, good looking,... you name it).
I’m not sure you can call Jack Reacher a Mary Sue, he’s educated at West Point(don’t recall this was said in the series) and has Military Training. Also he was a Major in Army and formerly lead a special investigations unit in the Military Police.

Totally opposite of a Mary Sue which has everything given to them without ever have any training, recent example is Rey from recent Star Wars, she never been on ship like Melenium Falcon but she could know everything about it like a pro. Knowing how to use and fight with a lightsaber without ever seeing it before. Or control/use the force when just introduced to it!

hollams

Gold Member
I enjoyed the show, but I had to turn my brain off big time especially the last couple of episodes. There were times even my girlfriend started to make comments and I had to say just go with it and stop thinking about it.

Reacher getting hit with a crowbar in the face that knocks him out, but doesn't break a bone or leave any scar? The cop in the hotel that broke though the wall where a turned up TV blocked all that noise and why did all 3 of the bad guys go in the room and not leave someone by the car. Did we really need a Scooby doo moment where all of the big bad guys are together and told us the whole plot?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Will give the show a second chance because that first episode had me snoring.
reacher-comp-02.jpg

To my credit I hung in with the Bourne, jack ryan, mission impossible, trinity series.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
My big brother looked like that in his 20s when he played college football. You can get like this through hard work, diet and discipline. If YOU can't, that's genetics on your part.

Anyway, I finally watched it. GREAT show! I loved how the movies basically followed the books and Cruise and Ritchson both had the pure of heart personality of the character. The fight scenes were good... not TOO clean and not TOO dirty. Just the right amount of grime...

Second season comes in December of this year.

jason10mm

Gold Member
December? YAY!

I dug S1 quite a bit, they even threw in a bit of skin. I hope they can keep going, seeing all but a few of the cast cycle out each season is pretty cool. I recall Space:Above and Beyond wanted to do this so characters could die in combat but network TV at the time wouldn't let them (though they only got the one season so who knows :)

My one beef is seeing Richtson eat like total dog shit whist sporting massive muscular hypertrophy and shredded BMI. Come on, that guy is living off skinless chicken, brown rice, and broccoli!!!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
December? YAY!

I dug S1 quite a bit, they even threw in a bit of skin. I hope they can keep going, seeing all but a few of the cast cycle out each season is pretty cool. I recall Space:Above and Beyond wanted to do this so characters could die in combat but network TV at the time wouldn't let them (though they only got the one season so who knows :)

My one beef is seeing Richtson eat like total dog shit whist sporting massive muscular hypertrophy and shredded BMI. Come on, that guy is living off skinless chicken, brown rice, and broccoli!!!

I dunno. My brother had a similar physique and ate whatever he wanted. Granted he was also a teen to mid 20s but still...

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dunno. My brother had a similar physique and ate whatever he wanted. Granted he was also a teen to mid 20s but still...
Well, whats he look like now?

Reacher is essentially a bum walking the earth like Caine in Kung Fu, walking from place to place, meet people, get into adventures. He isn't in the gym 3 hours a day.

Anyway, hardly the only show to do it, it's just they went out of their way to show him eating junk food. At least he never got that pie :p

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Well, whats he look like now?

Reacher is essentially a bum walking the earth like Caine in Kung Fu, walking from place to place, meet people, get into adventures. He isn't in the gym 3 hours a day.

Anyway, hardly the only show to do it, it's just they went out of their way to show him eating junk food. At least he never got that pie :p

He did get the pie ... Right at the end. Last episode.

My big brother basically looks the same .. just not as lean and shredded. Arms are still cannons and legs are still oak trees. He's still hella strong and not someone I would ever mess with. Remember, I'm 49... He's 10 years my senior.

Edit: when I say "not as lean", I don't mean "fat".

Last edited:
Top Bottom