• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Read all 14 Wheel of Time Books - Vague Spoilers

Pilgrimzero

I finished all 14 books of The Wheel of Time.

So very good. I did not see that coming. Happy tears at the end. The ending is just *chefs kiss*.

The deaths hit hard. The lat minute clutch saves are steller. When "new" (and old) heroes start popping up via the Horn. Just wow.

This long story of 5 people leaving a little villiage and becoming Heroes and Lords and Saviors and all the lives they touch on the way.
So Epic. It really deserves more in the way of tv shows and films and video games etc.

I can't wait to see more of the new tv show and how it will translate some of those epic scenes and moments and some of those tragic and sad deaths (and rebirths).

Highly recommend to anyone and everyone to read this series (I did via audio books). Yes it gets kind of bloated in the center few books but ride it out because the pay off is massive.

I thought I would be sad at having no more books to read and I kind of am but the ending was so GOOD I can't help but also be happy.

Wot Wheel Of Time GIF by Amazon Prime Video

SJRB

Gold Member
Are these young adult books or no? I read a basic premise but especially the trailers for the Amazon show made it seem like it is.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I really want to start this series, but I've heard they really drag towards the middle. One day I'll read them.

WoJ

I am about halfway through the last book. I'm a slow reader this re-read has taken a while. I had never read the last 3 books until this re-read but am heavily enjoying it. I will be sad when it ends.

Hari Seldon

I’m actually re-reading this again for the first time since the first of the Sanderson books came out. It is starting to drag at book 8, which is later than I remember. Definitely seems like the editing could use tightened up, but I’m having less of a problem because I haven’t read it in so long and therefore it seems fresh again.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just for those interested in the math, each of these audio books is on average ~30 hours long, so the entire 14 book series is something like 450 HOURS of content. So if it were a full time job to listen to this thing it would take you 3 months!

Spaceman292

Banned
Got half way through the first book and sort of got bored. It seemed really conventional compared to other fantasy books I've enjoyed more. Not enough cyborgs and lesbians and spaceships tbh

Doom85

Are these young adult books or no? I read a basic premise but especially the trailers for the Amazon show made it seem like it is.

Never seen a single young adult book where you can count on a 600 page per book (paperback) minimum.

Like, nothing in the books is necessarily heavily R-rated but I wouldn’t say it fits into the YA demographic. Honestly the only fantasy books I can think of that do are the Eragon books.

I petered out somewhere around book 10. Really enjoyed the first 5 or 6, then I feel like it just got crushed under its own weight. Too many plot threads and tons of ancillary characters, it was kinda all over the place. It didn't help that the books were coming out years apart by that point.

The old Unreal engine pc game is great though!

Pilgrimzero

Fantasy novels. Like LotRs. Has a bit more violence (Ie "and they simply exploded" and nudity (IE "I was embarrassed to see her topless like it was no big deal." So made for young adults? No. Can they read it, sure I guess.

I really want to start this series, but I've heard they really drag towards the middle. One day I'll read them.
While there is some slower exposition for a bit, I think this is mostly attributed due to the longer amount of time they took to come out originally, since they'd been roughly once per year up til the mid-series area and took longer after that.

Pilgrimzero

My only real gripe is there is one book (10?) where its all build up to stuff in the next book. Like nothing really major happens. But after that book and all its just go go go. Its totally worth it.

Hari Seldon

I petered out somewhere around book 10. Really enjoyed the first 5 or 6, then I feel like it just got crushed under its own weight. Too many plot threads and tons of ancillary characters, it was kinda all over the place. It didn't help that the books were coming out years apart by that point.

The old Unreal engine pc game is great though!
I don't think it is possible to make a book series as long as this is without introducing a ton of new characters, otherwise you end up like Sanderson where you continuously resolve a character arc only to club the character over the head and resolve it exactly the same all over again.

Top Bottom