• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Or Not launching into Early Access by end of 2021

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

To the Ready or Not Community, Present and Future

As you may be aware, we have been working alongside Steam to secure more game keys for the Supporter Edition of Ready or Not, but we hit a roadblock. While unfortunate, we hope that this will result in welcome news for many of you. We can no longer generate new Steam Keys unless we also go live on Steam, and since we absolutely depend on pre-sale income to continue developing Ready or Not, we have decided to go live on Steam Early Access by the end of this year!
mail
Why have we been so hesitant to go live on Steam?

Simply put, while Steam is an excellent platform for indie developers, it is also a very crowded marketplace, with tens of thousands of titles all competing for limited attention. To really stand out on Steam, we believe that we have a responsibility to deliver a solid product that speaks for itself. We did not want to risk launching a game that we felt wasn't up to snuff for our audience. However, under present circumstances, we feel that the best course of action is to transition to Beta (albeit early stage), so that we are able to resume providing Supporter Packages to our backers and secure the resources necessary to continue the game's development. This will also allow Steam's large audience to have the opportunity to experience Ready or Not sooner than they would have otherwise.

Many AAA Studios have incredibly deep pockets and spend tens of millions developing their games, a luxury that VOID Interactive does not have. We live and die by the support of our community, and we are extremely grateful for those of you that have followed and continue to follow us on this journey.

What can you expect in the near future?

We plan to Go Live on Steam Early Access by the end of 2021.

To Our Supporters – On Steam go-live, you will receive a new key to load the game into your Steam library. This build will essentially be the same as what you have now, including recent patches, and it will represent a transition from Alpha to Beta.

Owners of the Supporter Edition who purchased Ready or Not via our website will continue to have access to the game's Alpha Branch to test new and upcoming content. We are working with Steam in order to make this available for those who purchase the Supporter pack on Steam as well.. Supporters will also continue to get exclusive access to the dev team through monthly live Q&A sessions, community polls, and playtests on the Supporter Discord. These new benefits are in addition to what is already included with the Supporter Edition. Upon going live on Steam, the Supporter Edition and upgrade option will continue to be available for purchase through our website, and will also be available for purchase directly on Steam.

Standard Edition Buyers – Access to the Beta build will finally be open to you upon launch on Steam Early Access. If you purchased the game through our website, Xsolla will be emailing you your game key to the email address on record. With this key, you will gain access to the game as you currently see being streamed, which includes cooperative and single player action.
mail
In Conclusion

Please remember that the Beta build that will be available soon is still an incomplete version of the game. It will still have bugs and quirks, and will require lots of additional content before it is ready for full release. Because of our Supporters and with your help, we will continue to push Ready or Not, adding more content (new maps, missions, characters, weapons, etc.), and further refining it to get the game up to the standard that you deserve. We ultimately want you to be able to turn the lights out, crank up the volume, and be immersed in the action – bringing order to chaos.
Until next time, keep your feet on the ground.

Guinevere, Community Manager

jigglet

Banned
LMFAO I remember when this was first announced one of my friends said they were excited for it.

I said to temper your expectations, cause it's one of those games that might take 5 years to come out.

And here we are...

EDMIX

LMFAO I remember when this was first announced one of my friends said they were excited for it.

I said to temper your expectations, cause it's one of those games that might take 5 years to come out.

And here we are...

Pretty much. Gaming community for what ever weird reason has this knee jerk reaction to shit and its like.....we are the medium where that shit needs to actually PLAY WELL in order to even really work.

Someone can hear a sample of a song and feel it will be great, they can wait a part of a film and say "shit i'm going to watch it JUST to see that performance", in gaming......nahhhh none of that shit works that way.

You need to still have a team that can make a fucking game WORK well, networking that works, too much goes into it to just see 1 sneak peak and act like its the second coming. I'm more pessimistic when it comes to games as a lot goes into them and it really needs a strong talented team and a publisher with deep pockets before I give a fuck about a multiplayer game like this. We can hype up some walking horror sim type thing with basic horror concepts, but a game like this REALLY needs a strong foundation.

I'm not wasting energy on this shit until its proven it can even play right lol We have MP games right now for major publishers that launch a mess, in pieces and shit, but this no name team everyone, thats what we should be hyping that can get it down with less money, less people and? nahhh. I hope it does well and I'm not bashing it, but I need a bit more then visuals on concepts like this.

edit ohhhh yea, they left cause something about a school shooter level

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Well. I bought this last night and I gotta say, I really like it. It's a very cool modern take on the old SWAT4 formula and it's a blast with buddies. They randomize the enemy placement on every match so it's never always the same. Playing online co-op with randoms can be very fun and serious or super goofball situation. I'm impressed by how good it looks and plays and can't wait to jump back into it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone who puts his money where his mouth is this was one of several SWAT like projects I backed early.

The Pre Alpha builds where dreadful, completely meme worth if I'm being honest, then they got some streamers involved in this PvP joke fest.

However the pre alphas builds I played are completely diffrent to the current early access builds. Squad AI has specifically improved. Really its up to you if you want to give it a try, but with Ubisoft essentially recycling all the tactical series like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six into... well an Ubisoft game, this is the closest to what I wanted from a shooter currently available.

I haven't tried Coop yet, which is the real draw for me, but looking forward to it.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Sometimes I break my early access rule; haven't really decided here. Looks like my kind of game though. Everspace 2 is another one of those games I'm waiting for an official full release on.

As someone who puts his money where his mouth is this was one of several SWAT like projects I backed early.

The Pre Alpha builds where dreadful, completely meme worth if I'm being honest, then they got some streamers involved in this PvP joke fest.

However the pre alphas builds I played are completely diffrent to the current early access builds. Squad AI has specifically improved. Really its up to you if you want to give it a try, but with Ubisoft essentially recycling all the tactical series like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six into... well an Ubisoft game, this is the closest to what I wanted from a shooter currently available.

I haven't tried Coop yet, which is the real draw for me, but looking forward to it.
So when you say PVP joke fest... is that you just not being interested in PVP? Or that the PVP is disappointing? Or is it not currently even in the game.

I'm a bit confused, I remember some PVP stuff leaking out but it clearly wasn't ready for serious play... and now everything being uploaded to the YouTubers I'm subscribed to is PVE, so I'm assuming PVP is disabled.

Their stance on their school map is a breath of fresh air in the games industry. I'm tempted to grab the early access but this doesn't seem like the time. The single player/co-op I don't want to touch until it's close to final. Once there's multiplayer that's actually fun, even if it needs a lot of iteration... that's when I'd like to jump in. Though with the pacing I don't know if I'll ever find the fun. I originally envisioned an R6 Siege clone without the descent into waifu anime character crazy sci-fi gadget insanity where teenagers shoot every breakable object in the prep phase rather than I don't know... set up the site... then proceed to randomly flick and prefire every conceivable angle because they saw TSM Beaulo doing it or some shit.

Anway, for now I guess I wait.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So when you say PVP joke fest... is that you just not being interested in PVP? Or that the PVP is disappointing? Or is it not currently even in the game.

I'm a bit confused, I remember some PVP stuff leaking out but it clearly wasn't ready for serious play... and now everything being uploaded to the YouTubers I'm subscribed to is PVE, so I'm assuming PVP is disabled.

Their stance on their school map is a breath of fresh air in the games industry. I'm tempted to grab the early access but this doesn't seem like the time. The single player/co-op I don't want to touch until it's close to final. Once there's multiplayer that's actually fun, even if it needs a lot of iteration... that's when I'd like to jump in. Though with the pacing I don't know if I'll ever find the fun. I originally envisioned an R6 Siege clone without the descent into waifu anime character crazy sci-fi gadget insanity where teenagers shoot every breakable object in the prep phase rather than I don't know... set up the site... then proceed to randomly flick and prefire every conceivable angle because they saw TSM Beaulo doing it or some shit.

Anway, for now I guess I wait.

No I don't mind a bit of PvP although there's plenty of other games that are available that fill that style of tactical shooter role.

That unready gameplay you mentioned was not a leak and was infact a full twitch event push by the publisher to try and hype the game. It backfired horrifically as you can imagine, I'm sure it will be more than serviceable come launch but it's not really the draw of a SWAT successor. It was hilarious watching people who where obviously paid to stream for an hour not want to play part 10 minutes.

No I don't mind a bit of PvP although there's plenty of other games that are available that fill that style of tactical shooter role.

That unready gameplay you mentioned was not a leak and was infact a full twitch event push by the publisher to try and hype the game. It backfired horrifically as you can imagine, I'm sure it will be more than serviceable come launch but it's not really the draw of a SWAT successor. It was hilarious watching people who where obviously paid to stream for an hour not want to play part 10 minutes.
I didn't actually catch the streamer event, I saw some NDA-violating leaks at some point, it didn't look great. So, sorry, just to confirm, is PVP currently in Early Access Steam version?

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I didn't actually catch the streamer event, I saw some NDA-violating leaks at some point, it didn't look great. So, sorry, just to confirm, is PVP currently in Early Access Steam version?

it appears the PvP has been removed from this version... which honestly is a good thing, we have enough tactical PvP shooters as is, I know that's a shame for alot of people but I havent had a SWAT style game in a very, very long time.

Hopefully once the Singleplayer/coop is down they can look into adding it back in, perhaps trying to make it more unique than.... what ever was originally given out. However it currently is a coop shooter experience unlike anything out in the current market, I can guarantee you that.

anthraticus

Banned
Enemy AI & content.

Will it be good enough (makes or breaks sp tactical shooters) and will there be enough of it ?

Those are my 2 big questions here.

Stuart360

Slightly off topic but this is a weird game stats wize. Its currently no.1 best selling game on Steam, and has barely left the no.1 spot since its release 3 weeks ago, including through the winter sale, yet its currently no.81 in the top 100 played games on Steam with 11k, and its a MP only game. Weird.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Slightly off topic but this is a weird game stats wize. Its currently no.1 best selling game on Steam, and has barely left the no.1 spot since its release 3 weeks ago, including through the winter sale, yet its currently no.81 in the top 100 played games on Steam with 11k, and its a MP only game. Weird.
I think it's because some players want to wait for more updates or even the full release.
I played for almost 20 hours now but I think I'm gonna take a little break and wait for a few updates.

TVexperto

after playing ready or not i bought swat 4 and downloaded the elite force mod (one of the guys from ready or not did that mod all by himself) and right now swat 4 with elite force mod is just the better game. everything works better and has way more features even though it was developed faster than ready or not.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
A friend and I picked this up and have played some missions. It's a pretty sweet game, but the enemy AI does some weird stuff sometimes, like react really fast.

I'm glad I picked it up.

Kotaku still being trash I see.

I saw this today as well, they are using a word called Copaganda which just had me burst out laughing, I have never heard it before. I feel really sorry for the Yanks, its like they have simplify everything into a single word otherwise they cant deal with it, like anything being other than black or white cannot be dealt with so they have to force it into a "this is good" or "this is bad" category and then push that extreme as its the only viable viewpoint.

However its a super fun game, and I have had many laughs playing it, normally from when I screw up big time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Ferguson, a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries, breaks down the weaponry of Ready Or Not including a number of non-lethal firearms such as the Taser and a paintball gun that fires irritant, as well as more conventional weapons like the MP5 and the FN FAL.

00:00 - Opening
00:43 - MP5 A4
03:45 - Mossberg 500 Breaching Shotgun
05:29 - Taser
07:42 - M4A1
11:00 - Colt Python
14:07 - Paintball Gun
15:37 - FN FAL
17:50 - Ending

In the latest video in the Firearm Expert Reacts series, Jonathan Ferguson--a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries--breaks down the guns of Ready Or Not and compares them to their potential real-life counterparts.

mail
Vol. 29 Ready or Not Supporter Development Update
Content: Community Spotlight
by Guinevere, Community Manager

Introduction

Howdy gamers,

Welcome to the 29th edition of our biweekly newsletter! This time around, we'll be showcasing our team's work on updating the game's SWAT models and adding new variations for players to choose from. Expect to see more of these models(and others we haven't teased yet) in the near future!

Updated SWAT Models and Variants

Our modelers have been working hand-in-hand with our on staff police advisor, implementing the feedback of an experienced SWAT team member to improve existing equipment and add new options for players to take advantage of. We're excited to show off what we have so far, so without further ado, let's get to it!
mail
mail
mail
Above: Countless new kit options, from uniform color, to vests, to helmets.
mail
mail
mail
Above: New helmet variations with functioning IR strobes.

Conclusion

This concludes our 29th biweekly briefing, unveiling a variety of changes we're working on for the game's SWAT models. Please tune in next time for even more development news, and keep an eye out on our social media!

calistan

What is the single player like on this?
It's good. I've only tried it in single player. Can be a bit fiddly getting your team to do exactly what you want - every random street punk is like the guy from American Sniper, so sending your team in to do the killing is easier than opening a door yourself and getting instantly shot in the face.

What is the single player like on this?
Great in my opinion. It's very similar to the old SWAT games and there are some missions that are genuinely scary (e.g. meth house). Commanding the A.I is quite easy once you've got into the swing of things. Enemies are quite accurate though which is both a good and bad thing.

Sausy1987

Thanks people . I'd love some old school rainbow 6 or ghost recon single player . I bought Black one blood brothers on Early Access and that has some singe player content now so I must try that & buy Ready or not .

Top Bottom