• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Time Hardware Accelerated DirectX Ray Tracing - How Xbox Series X will show a generational leap in Video Game Graphics

rnlval

You DO know that 4k@60fps is an insane increase of pixel and data over 1080p@45 and therefore it is really "silly" to easily say it "should be possible" with some tweaks right? it's at least 4 times as many pixels and then a whopping increase in fps. At that resolution you'll need serious power. power that won't be available this coming generation.

it's like saying that a car that goes about 200km/h would go 800km/h with "some" tweaks.

no car can drive 800 without a rocket engine screwed on top
Raster can render at 4K while RT renders 1080p + ML SS.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Been preaching that RT is the true next gen feature ever since saw that Minecraft RTX. Nice thread Lady.
You’re not joking. Minecraft RT is a real showstopper. If that’s possible on XBSX hardware my kids (and me) are in for a real treat.
I’d rather opt for lower resolution and checkerboard rendering to achieve damn good raytracing. It’s quite the game changer.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Raytracing has been involved in artists design tools for a long time, suddenly it's this generations uniform.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Remember when people like NXGamer said that Xbox’s APIs are way behind and that’s why no games will have ray tracing on Xbox at launch? That sure did age well lol. I called him out on here on the fact that he was literally just making stuff up and his shills came to defend him like clockwork, and I got posts deleted by mods and a warning while he never answered any of my questions about what evidence he has. Now we know he had none.

Mister Wolf

Remember when people like NXGamer said that Xbox’s APIs are way behind and that’s why no games will have ray tracing on Xbox at launch? That sure did age well lol. I called him out on here on the fact that he was literally just making stuff up and his shills came to defend him like clockwork, and I got posts deleted by mods and a warning while he never answered any of my questions about what evidence he has. Now we know he had none.

He comes across as pro Sony to me.

quest

Not Banned from OT
He comes across as pro Sony to me.
Of course he is that is cool he needs to make money. He has a warrior audience who only wants pro Sony videos or trashing Microsoft ones. Hence you did not see the first nextgen game flight simulator 2020 on his channel it would enrage his audience. Instead we get a api video that shits on Microsoft and kisses lord cerney ring.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Of course he is that is cool he needs to make money. He has a warrior audience who only wants pro Sony videos or trashing Microsoft ones. Hence you did not see the first nextgen game flight simulator 2020 on his channel it would enrage his audience. Instead we get a api video that shits on Microsoft and kisses lord cerney ring.
He was also one of the “ps5 has a massive surprise” pushers, which turned out to be “yeh the BC that it has works like they said it would” lol.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Which ray tracing features will be available in The Medium? Are there any technical differences between the various versions in this and other regards (resolution, frame rate, etc.?)

We have two supported ray tracing modes for The Medium - Performance Mode that has enabled reflections and RTAO in all performant location (when only one word is rendered), and Quality Mode, which features reflections, RTAO, hybrid translucent, and some RT shadows enabled for the whole game world. The latter is paired with DLSS and some other Nvidia improvements but requires a lot of hardware power.

The team is still working to optimize The Medium across Xbox Series X and S and we will be able to share more details on these versions closer to launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom