• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really LTTP, Max Payne

MP2 was absolutely the perfect sequel. I remember running it on the same system as MP1 and it looked better and ran more smoothly. The Pink Flamingo bits were creepy as hell and really added to the atmosphere of Noir York City.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
1 and 2 are both in my top 10 easy, one would have to be in my top 5 but I'm not sure which. PC versions are boss tier and hold up great. Fucking love the story, especially in the first, atmosphere was so good. Gameplay was tight as hell.

SomTervo

Just wait for Max Payne 2. A masterpiece, imo. The story is so good

Cindres: I love MP1 but MP2 is a top 5 game for me

Not sure where this is in MP1, but (MID GAME SPOILERS)
the nightmare level where you have to walk on the trail of red blood out into darkness was SO FUCKING ANNOYING.
It's the lack of missteps like that which makes MP2 the better game, even if MP2 is a lot shorter in the campaign.

phaze

Replayed Max Payne and its sequel a while ago and they still hold up. The writing is just sublime and the atmosphere it creates is hard to match.

Donos

I played them on the hardest difficulty and loved that you got a fixed amount of saves per chapter (5?) and you had decide when to quicksave.

That's Max Payne 2, though, isn't it? Are there any good visual upgrade mods?

I only played the games for the first time last winter. I loved the whole atmosphere they created. MP3 just lacked that, sadly.

I should probably replay them soon.
Yeah those are Max Payne 2 shots, which OP- you should really play if you enjoyed the first. Both are great but I think MP2 is better, they really perfected the enemy encounters in it over 1 imo.

One of the greatest of all time games. Its like doom in that I can at it almost anytime and have fun. Also lots of depth at higher difficulty.

Did some modding back in the day for Max Payne 2. Shame that one of the major sites, levels4you.com, archived everything at some point.

SomTervo

One of the greatest of all time games. Its like doom in that I can at it almost anytime and have fun. Also lots of depth at higher difficulty.

Yep, this. The only other games that I feel have really matched that level of gunplay were F.E.A.R. and Wolfenstein: TNO

Loxley

I'm actually playing through Max Payne 2 on PC right now with the Shepard FPS mod - and it's surprisingly functional - if not a little bananas. But the game is just as kick-ass as always. MP1 & 2 are some of the few shooters from that period in gaming history that still hold up.

26jQX19.jpg

9LJiTMm.jpg

Playing through with that Payne Evolution mod, really like what he's done with it. Weapon sounds are great, ragdolls are better, better particle effects, some cutscenes have been re-done to transition straight into the action, love it. Only issue is that the character models have some clipping, and the inventory system is glitchy.

The ps2 version split the chapters into 3 or so levels each which can take getting used to coming from the other versions. Other than that it's still fun.

The mobile version is also surprisingly good. If anyone has the chance to play it I recommend it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
As has been echoed by everyone else, play the PC version. And, while the gameplay may not hold the same cup to the more recent MP3 the story of both games blows MP3 out of the water. MP3 is just a poor imitation of what the originals were.

Top Bottom