• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebuilding The Last of Us Part I: A deep dive into combat, animation, audio and visual changes with Naughty Dog

ChiefDada

Gold Member
the reddit leaker also said the game was the best lookin game on PS5 and then he released videos that dont look any better than whats been shown already. its just hyperbole. ignore it.

Hyperbole? What kind of cynical take is this? He also lists the negatives and shares many of your qualms about the game. He ranked visuals a 4; with 1 being TLOU2 and 10 being photorealism. It's a very fair and reasonable opinion from someone who has actually played the game.

the 4k 40 fps mode is an improvement but other than that if you know the history of this game you know this was built on TLOU2 engine so it is bound to look identical to it. they are reusing assets from that game. foliage looks the same. ellie and joel's character models are very close to what we saw in the flashback levels. Wouldnt be surprised if they lifted them from the sequel and used them as a starting point.

Fbc_s3VXEAQFdzt

The game simply looks phenomenal in cutscenes.

Fbc_sTrXkAAZRg8

We see the same thing here. Remake looks phenomenal in cutscenes. Not so much during gameplay.
Well that would be pathetic then. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here because I see so many people happy with the way the game looks most of them content for it to look as good but not better than 2 meanwhile I think this would be a damn shame considering it's Naughty Dog in ps5.

Btw, watching bill’s town footage on my 4k set and the resolution is way higher than 1440p

Definitely looks fantastic at the higher resolution
But it also looks almost identical to part 2 graphically..I can't point to anything from that clip that I can pinpoint as better than 2. From textures to assets to foliage which is what Slimy said, "the resolution is an improvement"

ChiefDada

Gold Member
But it also looks almost identical to part 2 graphically..I can't point to anything from that clip that I can pinpoint as better than 2. From textures to assets to foliage which is what Slimy said, "the resolution is an improvement"

Lol It literally doesn't. Lighting, models, textures, are all consistently better than pt. 2 and you will hear reviewers saying the same thing tomorrow, even the ones who disagree with the $70 price tag. There's simply no comparison. TLOU2 looks like the PS4 game it is. Watch this hour long video, advise you mute as the kid is downright annoying. And oh yeah the in game character model looks the same as cutscene you can see for yourself. F Feel Like I'm On 42 watch on your TV if you can.

Last edited:

This is also true. The differences are subtle, but it does seem a bit crisper with better lighting.

CourtCleaner

Neo Member
Hyperbole? What kind of cynical take is this? He also lists the negatives and shares many of your qualms about the game. He ranked visuals a 4; with 1 being TLOU2 and 10 being photorealism. It's a very fair and reasonable opinion from someone who has actually played the game.
From the footage I've seen, forbidden West looks better

GymWolf

Gold Member
prone are dodge are not tools it’s a gameplay mechanic. motion matching is tool and a game changer. There are many other things they are doing with the remake that did not exist when tlou first came out. Some of it looks simple like how the gameplay camera moves and blends, most people would just overlook it. Some how prone and dodge represents everything they have learned over the past 10 years lol this shit is hilarious.
No you are right they learned how to enlarge areas and making them a bit more sandboxy with way better level design but this big change is not in the remake, that has the exact same level design of the ps3 version, also they surely learned how to better direct cutscenes between camera movements, direction to the actors, better mocap tech for the actors etc, but once again this is not in the remake, the only change for cutscenes are literally the graphic, they didn't bothered to re-shot the cutscenes, didn't they?!

But yeah you are right, motion matching chaining animation together is surely more game changer than actual new game mechanics like dodge and prone, yeah this shit really is hilarious dude, but for all the wrong reasons...

Last edited:

Caio

Nah, people were always mostly talking about the remake not looking much better than tlou2, the remaster thing is a new fake narrative because a couple of people were not happy with ellie and tess looking like crack addicts in the new one, only a blind moron would not notice the difference between the remaster and the remake.
This remake looks stellar, and much more improved animations, as Devs said, and it's clear when they show gameplay. The only sad part is that I don't have a PS5 yet... :(

GymWolf

Gold Member
This remake looks stellar, and much more improved animations, as Devs said, and it's clear when they show gameplay. The only sad part is that I don't have a PS5 yet... :(
Still? I thought the shortage was kinda at the end...

Hunnybun

Lol It literally doesn't. Lighting, models, textures, are all consistently better than pt. 2 and you will hear reviewers saying the same thing tomorrow, even the ones who disagree with the $70 price tag. There's simply no comparison. TLOU2 looks like the PS4 game it is. Watch this hour long video, advise you mute as the kid is downright annoying. And oh yeah the in game character model looks the same as cutscene you can see for yourself. F Feel Like I'm On 42 watch on your TV if you can.

It does look better when you see extended gameplay rather than short clips (that always seems to be the case btw - or is it just me?). The resolution looks closer to 4k than I ever expected, which is impressive at 60fps. It'll probably average out at like 1800p, I'd imagine, and that's really good.

They've probably got higher res textures now too, but that was a glaring problem in their PS4 games so should really be an absolute minimum.

Overall, though, it basically looks like TLOU2. The differences are extremely marginal - people who think otherwise have simply forgotten how good that game looked.

It doesn't look anywhere near as good as Ratchet, or Horizon FW. The idea that this is a good representation of what ND can actually do with the PS5 is laughable. They shouldn't be charging $70 for this, I'm sorry.

DeepSpace5D

Maybe Sony will come out with a Ragnarok PS5. It might be worth waiting and seeing if that happens.
Sony should at least come out with shell covers in the theme of these upcoming major releases. I’d rock some God of War or TLoU replacement shells for sure. Seems like a missed opportunity that they haven’t done this more since they are so easily removed.

Sony should at least come out with shell covers in the theme of these upcoming major releases. I’d rock some God of War or TLoU replacement shells for sure. Seems like a missed opportunity that they haven’t done this more since they are so easily removed.

The new colors are nice but I agree they should go beyond that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Literally looks identical to LOU2 but slightly higher res or crisper and more bloom.

shubik

Just found this Walkthrough in 4k. The graphical fidelity is insane. A ridiculous amount of work went into this remake. And clearly a leap over The last of us Part 2

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol well I don’t have a 40hz tv anyhow
That sucks. I was thinking about the fact that they left the 60 fps option uncapped to target framerates between 60-120 fps. That tells me that they are probably targeting a low resolution like 1440p. DRS typically has a minimum and if they are letting framerates jump above 60 fps then i fear the DRS minimum is 1440p. Hopefully the resolution goes up to 1800p when its capped, but I have zero faith in ND atm. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

P.S Look into getting a VRS capable 120 hz tv. Id recommend an expensive LG OLED. Dont settle for the Sony VRR tvs. They have half assed VRR implementations. But both GG and Insomniac were able to increase the maximum resolution in their DRS modes when VRR is enabled. Probably because Vsync doesnt need to be enabled and thats typically a 10-20% hit on the GPU. Whatever the reason, if you care about higher resolutions, getting a vrr capable tv might be a good investment.

Just found this Walkthrough in 4k. The graphical fidelity is insane. A ridiculous amount of work went into this remake. And clearly a leap over The last of us Part 2

It looks really great. Thank god finally good quality walkthrough. Tired of watching those low res leak video.
Still not gonna buy it at launch though. Even my local store have the game today. I'll buy it for sure if i have much time for video game like the old day lol.

DF just confirmed the performance 60 fps is 1440p at all times like I had feared. Sorry James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford
Not only that but it was confirmed that we were right about the graphics. No major improvements noted other than 4k/40 fps. Technology is identical with some slight changes to in game models and gun models.
Think these guys will admit they were wrong? Yeah right ..

Aggelos

Ι think Sony posted Naughty Dog's gameplay footage, without austere age restriction (if you can watch it as an embedded link on this forum, it's clean)

mitchman

Gold Member
Not only that but it was confirmed that we were right about the graphics. No major improvements noted other than 4k/40 fps. Technology is identical with some slight changes to in game models and gun models.
Think these guys will admit they were wrong? Yeah right ..
What? Did you not watch the DF video? How can you say it's only "slight" changes? Did you not understand all the lighning upgrades?

Top Bottom