• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent Diablo IV gameplay and beta release has been the target of negative reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Hours ago Diablo's own official YouTube channel shared nearly 10 minutes of Diablo IV gameplay with gamers as they talked about the game and much more.
However, it seems that the result presented in the video did not like the players very much, who are criticizing the gameplay a lot, and many claim that the game no longer looks like what was presented before:

Weird, this video makes it look more like D3 than any other video I've seen." - 1.4k likes.
"This looks different than any gameplay we've seen before. I know it's console, but still. I think the PC look and graphics were better in my opinion." - 425 likes.
"This presentation really made the game look like it was designed for a mobile platform. I'm not sure why, but this game feels very arcadey." - 267 likes.
"It feels like a game that would have been released 15 years ago." - 85 likes.
"That video killed my excitement more than it fueled it." - with 850 likes.
"Until now, I had no concerns about the artistic design direction. Now I'm concerned about my PS5 purchase, because these graphics look like nothing that's been shown before. I know not everything can be dark, but there are a difference between color and cartoon." - 439 likes.
"Diablo 3 remaster looks great guys. I can't wait for the real D4 video." - 224 likes.

Also, the Early Beta has already been unlocked with tons of peformance and server issues:

Iu8lSr6Bfkv4Pr0VuxzsIpavujYuzAL80kKUuG_0BV0.jpg

me9ao6mzw4oa1.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Oh Blizzard promising and hyping up something before finally being forced to show real game footage...

Now WHERE have I seen this before?

I'm yet to play it. But from videos alone this game is just diablo 3.5... the one-up on the simplified stars systems and that was dumb as fuck, the only thing left is the end game that we are yet to see.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
*reads thread
*laugh in disbelief
*click youtube video and watch

ok what happen to the real diablo 4? it really looks like diablo 3 remastered xD

Three

Fuck's sake are they doing the "its too colorful" whining again ... :rolleyes:
They are complaining about some kind of downgrade, it looking like a 3 remaster or a mobile game. Not sure if that's true but those comments are getting a lot of likes and what the article/thread is based on.

The graphics don't look mind blowing but I haven't seen what was shown before with the "not final version" footnote so can't judge if there is.

It's a couch/local co-op interface, so it has a bit more color to help people see stuff. What's the big deal ? lol the game looks fine.

MiguelItUp

This thread was posted not even an hour after the beta went live, while majority were in queue, lol. Not sure where the title bait is coming from either. I'm sure some people are unhappy, but the reactions I've seen so far are positive.

Madflavor

Um.....fuck.

Yeah I agree with the OP and the youtube comments. I was rooting for Diablo IV, but that vid killed my hype. It looks like Diablo 3.5

Edit: Apparently the Beta looks a lot better. I was only judging that official video that Blizzard posted, that looks like ass.

Last edited:
I played 20 minutes and it certainly isn’t colourful. It’s pretty fucking dark and dreary looking. Starts off in the snow and you’re thrown into a dark horrible dungeon.

Art style is nothing like D3 from what I’ve actually played.

Kacho

I played 20 minutes and it certainly isn’t colourful. It’s pretty fucking dark and dreary looking. Starts off in the snow and you’re thrown into a dark horrible dungeon.

Console or PC?

Kacho

Yeah that looks far better. Wtf was that other video then?
It was on Xbox so I'm guessing the graphics go to shit when playing in co-op mode. It probably looks fine when playing solo. We'll have plenty of footage by the end of the weekend to judge.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Game looks fine; more occultish.

. . .seriously though are we REALLY posting threads about funking "YouTube comments?" Some of the most useless qualitative data sources ever? Like if you've played the game and are still whining that it doesn't look all retro-grimey like D2, maybe just move on from the series. As someone said, this game is expounding on the overwhelming success of Diablo on consoles and so is appealing to a wider base. Get over it. More people, means long term success for something that - while I've only actually killed five Wargs before having a hard system crash - I am genuinely impressed with given all the frothing hate this company has gotten since D4's announcement. I am actively upset at the long queues, not because this weekend is nothing more than a sexed up stress test, but that I can't get in and play some more.

Madflavor

It was on Xbox so I'm guessing the graphics go to shit when playing in co-op mode. It probably looks fine when playing solo. We'll have plenty of footage by the end of the weekend to judge.

Yeah it's crazy how different it looks.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Then the game goes on to sell millions day one.

Diablo Immortal all over again.
The vocal minority might be spitting at the game, but it will still make a shit ton of money and youtube comments are irrelevant.

phant0m

Game is dark as fuck lol

Also LOVES ram. Like, the app itself is using 14 GB. My PC is using 24 GB total…I think the days of “16 GB is enough for anything” are behind us.

Last edited:

Tg89

Yeah it's definitely a mix of D3 and Immortal with a little bit of Lost Ark thrown in.

Tone/look wise it's definitely closer to D2/1 than 3 was but that's about where it ends. It's still dumbed down systems, more linear, worse gameplay, etc and we haven't even got to the pay to win stuff yet.

I can see it being fun to dabble in but 2 will remain the king, forever probably.

It's because people can't make a distinction between the UI being too bright and colorful and the actual game being not colorful. They half assed the console UI and it looks worse and more jarring because of that.

Um.....fuck.

Yeah I agree with the OP and the youtube comments. I was rooting for Diablo IV, but that vid killed my hype. It looks like Diablo 3.5
I'm yet to play it. But from videos alone this game is just diablo 3.5... the one-up on the simplified stars systems and that was dumb as fuck, the only thing left is the end game that we are yet to see.
*reads thread
*laugh in disbelief
*click youtube video and watch

ok what happen to the real diablo 4? it really looks like diablo 3 remastered xD
It's a Diablo 3 reskin.

Footage they'd shown had far better lighting, a darker tone, it looks like that got focused group right out of it.

Now we're left with a fugly mess AGAIN.
It's the UI.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Really though, if you can't play it right now, there are plenty of streams right now that can give you enough of an idea of what to expect. Most likely even know if it's for you or not through them alone. I'm currently watching

ATM.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It's because people can't make a distinction between the UI being too bright and colorful and the actual game being not colorful. They half assed the console UI and it looks worse and more jarring because of that.

It's the UI.
NO, it's the awful lighting over the characters and environment.

NO, it's the awful lighting over the characters and environment.
It literally takes one single youtube search to see Xbox footage from other content creators. There's even PC streams in this very thread. At this point, you're going to have a harder time convincing everyone else that it looks bad, than they will convincing you that it looks good.

jaysius

Banned
Looks a little bit better in this guy's stream.

Still not seeing anything worth $90 CND+ tax. After watching this, I'm interested in playing the open beta now, and I'm excited to see it go on a deep sale, maybe used a year from now.

GL on Blizz trying to make record breaking money on this one though.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
What a hell are you guys talking about?

Watching some streamers playing it now, and this is absolutely not looking like Diablo 3 (visually). I don't know if people overestimate what an isometric game is gonna look like in 2023, but every inch of this game has detail in it.

Gameplay? yeah it looks like Diablo 3. Which we all knew it would.

Last edited:

phant0m

What a hell are you guys talking about?

Watching some streamers playing it now, and this is absolutely not looking like Diablo 3 (visually). I don't know if people overestimate what an isometric game is gonna look like in 2023, but every inch of this game has detail in it.

Gameplay? yeah it looks like Diablo 3. Which we all knew it would.

You do know this close to launch this isn't a real beta right?

I remember the copium people were huffing with the Destiny 1 beta, "OH THERE WILL TOTALLY BE FEATURE X IN IT, THIS IS ONLY THE BETA"...
oh-you-smirk.gif

Ok, I see what you're doing now. Just be careful not to add too much spice to the thread while you're having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom