• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recently started The Expanse

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So far I think it's pretty interesting. People told me it gets better after season 1 and I only did season 1 so far, so I'm expecting it to get better.

So far I think Miller is the best character. Thomas Jane is a pretty good actor, seen him in other things over the years. There's a lot of recognizable TV actor faces in this. Some I've seen on 24 and Babu from Seinfeld is in it.

I think this bioweapon introduced at the end has kind of an interesting Mass Effect feel to it. A danger that is slowly revealed bit by bit through the course of a season and then at the end they kinda give you a glimpse to what is actually is. Different factions and such.

I'm hoping they really flesh out the different planets and and governments and factions so it feels large in scale. I don't even care if there's a ton of action, as long as the intrigue and political aspect really pay off.

TrueLegend

Season 1 is a bit of pain but from there on it gets better. Season 4 was real low to me but 5 and 6 are overall great. It ends in a good place but does not cover three more books in the series. Worth watching. Best Scifi after Battlestar Galactica and Firefly not counting Star Trek.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Season 1 is a bit of pain but from there on it gets better. Season 4 was real low to me but 5 and 6 are overall great. It ends in a good place but does not cover three more books in the series. Worth watching. Best Scifi after Battlestar Galactica and Firefly not counting Star Trek.
As someone who missed out on BSG the first time and went back and tried to watch it a couple years ago, I'm enjoying this a lot more. Maybe I would've adored BSG if I watched when it first came out, but I find the acting in this a lot better and I don't need good special effects in many things, but for Sci Fi I think it's suport important. I think the characters in this are more interesting too.

Fbh

Fun show, some of the best Sci Fi on TV right now though it's not like there's a lot of competition at the moment.
S1-3 are great, 4 was kinda meh and 5 was straight up bad. Haven't finished 6 yet but at least it's a step up from 5.

I had a hard time watching this, found it to be extremely boring but I watched like 2 or 3 episodes... should I give it a chance?

MastaKiiLA

The best space combat ever put to screen. This show is the benchmark in that department. The dynamic between the inners and belters is also fascinating. The series is ended for now, and it ended well. It's worth giving a watch. If you don't get into it after season 1, then no point continuing. It gets better in seasons 2 and 3, but season 1 should still be good enough, otherwise you'll find some of the later seasons to be awful.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I had a hard time watching this, found it to be extremely boring but I watched like 2 or 3 episodes... should I give it a chance?
Season 1 starts off a little slow but that's because of all the worldbuilding it has to do to establish the universe and the lore. I think it really gets going around episode 3 or 4 ish. If you like scifi stuff and appreciate attention to detail in accurate representations of physics and science, then you should give it a chance.

TheMan

Man I've tried getting into this show like 3 times and i've gotten off track by episode 3 each time. Which sucks because I do appreciate good sci fi.

I have to give it 3 chances but ultimately loved it. Once it gets going, it is a great ride. The last season is shit however - the show never ends.

MastAndo

It took multiple tries for me as well, but once it stuck, I binged watched the whole thing through right as season 6 was ending. I really, really enjoyed it, warts and all. I'm with you, Miller was my favorite character and was one of the main reasons I eventually decided to stick with it early on.

8bitpill

It's good and has it's slow burn seasons, but overall I enjoyed it.

I still can't get over how the Belters sounds like Gungans, with their swampy deep space creole voices,

A6A4.gif

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I finished season one a while ago and it didn't grab me.

Currently watching Last Kingdom, which is great so far.

ape2man

This is by far my favourite scifi show. This show belongs in the top of great shows like BSG, TNG, DS9, B5. Plus the CGI is tier S grade, thats not always the case with great scifi shows.

Last edited:
It's pretty great, I haven't seen season 6 yet though. There are some lows but the overall quality has been high. I tell everyone that getting into the series is kind of a chore - season 1 dedicates a lot to world building and it's a very slow burn but worth it in my opinion.

BigBeauford

Season 1 really does everything it can to dissuade viewers from continuing. Seasons 2-3 are really good. 4 was a step back, and 5....well we got stranded and haven't returned after episode 2.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm currently half way through S5 and loving it, Amos is by far the best character, the first season drags but it defo surprises you where it goes and the whole 3 way human society conflict is great

Tams

4 worse the 5?!

5 was an absolute drag (with a few good parts with Amos) and you know what happening at the end because of you know what was just the shit cherry on that cake.

Season 6 made up for a lot of that, but was so rushed and still focussed too much on the
Nagata family relationship

I_D

Season 1 was my favorite season. The whole show loses the 'detective show' feeling after the first season, which disappointed me.

It's still one of the best modern sci-fi shows, though. I found it compelling all the way through, despite some slow episodes from time to time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Season 1 was my favorite season. The whole show loses the 'detective show' feeling after the first season, which disappointed me.

It's still one of the best modern sci-fi shows, though. I found it compelling all the way through, despite some slow episodes from time to time.
I never really noticed that detective show quality, but now that you mention it, I agree that it contributed a lot to my engagement.

Wvrs

Took me a long time to get into, but it's a top tier sci-fi. I recently started reading the books and it's crazy how spot on the adaptation is, I expected to get the "superior" version as with most source material, but instead just got the show with the perk of being able to see the characters' thoughts.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Took me a long time to get into, but it's a top tier sci-fi. I recently started reading the books and it's crazy how spot on the adaptation is, I expected to get the "superior" version as with most source material, but instead just got the show with the perk of being able to see the characters' thoughts.
I was thinking of listening to the audio books after I finish the last season. Is there anything interesting that they left out in the tv adaptation? I’m currently listening to the first Wheel of Time book (sadly only the first is read by Rosamund Pike) and the story in the tv series is much more condensed so I am enjoying it as an add on

Tams

I was thinking of listening to the audio books after I finish the last season. Is there anything interesting that they left out in the tv adaptation? I’m currently listening to the first Wheel of Time book (sadly only the first is read by Rosamund Pike) and the story in the tv series is much more condensed so I am enjoying it as an add on
Umm, wrong thread?

Though I wouldn't mind Rosamund Pike reading The Expanse.

Wvrs

Not really. The show brings in some elements (Earth politics, etc.) earlier than the books (first book is strictly Holden and Miller POVs) and there are some minor character differences but nothing hugely different so far.

But really great books and fleshes out the universe more.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It was a great show, loved it. Didn't find any of the seasons to be bad at all. I thought Marco Inaros sucked as an antagonist, but mainly because the actor was just really annoying. But the acting was tremendous throughout, great character development, great special effects, interesting plot. Always something interesting going on whether it be politically, sci-fi wise, etc. Also some very emotional moments in this show. Didn't expect it. I almost cried with Naomi was struggling to get the message out to the Roci and she was altering the wires in season 5 to change the relayed message in that trap. Just incredible acting in that episode.

Overall really great show. And I didn't feel it outstayed its welcome. Actually, I wish there was more. Felt like there's so much more meat on the bone.

Chrisjen Avasarala quickly became my absolute favorite character of the show. She just goes from cynical asshole at rest, to joyfully explaining how she will have you skinned alive when she gets pissed.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I was put off by a certain character leaving the show in season 2. Haven’t gone back since, as the rest didn’t really connect with me.

Is 5 the last one? If yes, then I would agree. The last season was an absolute waste of time.
No, season 6 was the last one and it was mediocre at best. While season 5 was equally mediocre at least it had some good episodes (like 3 & 4).
Marco Inaros was bad antagonist and the whole Inaros family drama even worst!
For me Expanse ended with season 4, confirming the rule of 4 in number of good tv seasons

Last edited:
Top Bottom