• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me any games with momentum based gameplay

Banjo64

cumsessed
So I noticed a streamer playing the surfing custom games on CS however I’m poor and don’t have a PC. This looked amazing IMO and very cathartic.

There’s games like Descenders and Tony Hawk, and I’ve seen Neon White but not sure if that’s what I’m after.

Is there anything else?

Larxia

In modern games?
- Mirror's Edge
- Sunset Overdrive (if you play it correctly. Some people will play it like a slightly faster dead rising and it's boring if you do that, but if you use the whole traversal system and its potential, it's a really amazing game).
- Hover (indie game with JSR inspiration, it's pretty fun but not groundbreaking, don't expect AAA).
- Maybe Steep but the G force system actually ruins the momentum very often, it can be frustrating.

And sadly that's some of the only stuff I can really think about for modern games. Maybe Spider-Man too? Haven't played this one, will do in 2 days on PC.

For older games, the SSX and Tony Hawk series are still kings for me. I really wish we still had games like this.

You can also keep an eye on Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, for whenever it comes out.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Spider man, halo, destiny... You can really build up some speed in traveling in these games, but not really the focus. Makes getting around lots of fun.

DeepSpace5D

I recommend a game called Dyad. It’s a momentum-based puzzle racing game. Kind of hard to describe.

It’s on Steam but I just saw you don’t play on PC. I played it on the PS3 myself.

BlackTron

Sonic Generations

Sonic Unleashed (half of it at least)

Sonic 1 said "Sonic is defined by momentum based gameplay" and Generations came along and said "no it isn't".

The physics are broken in these games and momentum doesn't even mean that much. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 perhaps...

Shifty

Solar Ash if you like your momentum with some Shadow of the Colossus and Mario Galaxy on the side.

The trailers do a shit job of showing it off, so here's the introductory zone and boss as played by someone half decent:

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Solar Ash if you like your momentum with some Shadow of the Colossus and Mario Galaxy on the side.

The trailers do a shit job of showing it off, so here's the introductory zone and boss as played by someone half decent:

so THAT's the name of that game

EGS_ExoOne_Exbleative_S2_1200x1600-b8ad5efaae97568aa3b74b30303fc612

Banjo64

cumsessed
Thanks everyone, looking at all of these.

i'd mention Sonic, but someone's already sort of done that
so instead, PLAY TRACKMANIA
it's not just momentum based, it's based in general
united forever and T2 are good but don't touch turbo or the reboot, those suck balls

... crazy game

Wow, fantastic. The weight behind the car, the gradual acceleration and sense of speed - exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I’ve seen Neon White but not sure if that’s what I’m after.

Bro. Trust me. You are after Neon White. Surprise of the year for me. Just press F to skip the awful anime dialogue and it's a series of super tight-knit short platforming FPS puzzles, it's sick.

Racing games need good use of momentum, especially rally games. But Ride (4) is rather weird (or I am not getting it at all) with how much it depends on you doing everything rather early to prevent being slow af.

Pix the Cat has that mechanic where cornering with the correct timing, gives you speed. Later levels are above my skill level but you need to sort of wind up a spring at the beginning of a level and than going through it at insane speeds to really nail it.

Larxia

Why not play it on ps3 or Xbox one?
It depends, if they meant the older games, they're not on ps3, only SSX 2012 is (which I personally loved, never understood the hate, it's so fast and full of adrenaline, op might like it if they want a big momentum rush), but Xbox One does indeed seem like the best console to play SSX 3 right now.

Banned
definitely Sunset Overdrive.

capsule_616x353.jpg

the game only lets you use many of your abilities if you keep your combo meter up by doing jumps, wallruns, grinds etc.

so the more you string together while killing enemies the more perks you unlocked/equipped will be activated and the more damage you will do.

you will also be way more vulnerable if you don't keep your momentum up

Last edited:
Top Bottom