• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some intellectually stimulating videos.

levyjl1988

Banned
What are some interesting and intellectual videos on the internet that changed your perspective, provided you insight, and entertained you? (Serious topic, in before joke videos)

Here is one of my recommendations.

Mike Hill, not sure if you heard of this guy, but his lectures are pretty profound.

Here's another video I came across by William Lidwell,

Any smart, profound videos, lectures even you came across or recommend?

GeekyDad

I've been trying to find those eggs in the states, but can't find them. Very sad. Seems no one here wants to produce "designer" eggs.
My wife accidentally bought some fancy eggs a couple of weeks back. She got fed up with the eggs we normally use, and grabbed these instead. But...she didn't realize they were like $8-9 a dozen. They were good, but not worth that price to me. Half of the dozen were a darkish brown and the other half were like green or blue. The yolks were nice and dark, and the flavor was rich and the texture really smooth. But again, my Simple Truth eggs from Kroger are fine. The fancy ones are wasted on me. :D

My wife accidentally bought some fancy eggs a couple of weeks back. She got fed up with the eggs we normally use, and grabbed these instead. But...she didn't realize they were like $8-9 a dozen. They were good, but not worth that price to me. Half of the dozen were a darkish brown and the other half were like green or blue. The yolks were nice and dark, and the flavor was rich and the texture really smooth. But again, my Simple Truth eggs from Kroger are fine. The fancy ones are wasted on me. :D

Just go to a local farm/vendor with fresh eggs or stop on the side of the road when you see an eggs for sale sign. All you need for great eggs is fresh, try them the day they are laid. They also keep 3-5 times longer than supermarket/store bought ones that have been in transit/storage etc. Super yellow, yolks that hold together and flavour plus.

I don't have any specific videos to recommend, but if your goal is intellectually interesting subjects that have the potential to change your perception... I can think of a few.

I'm sure a simple search on vacuum decay will give you plenty of results.

Vacuum Decay as it pertains to the Ultra-Dense Higgs Field, and Quantum Tunneling.

Quantum Tunneling is somewhat relevant here as Gaf often discusses the most current chip sizes. The current usually revolving around the current use of 7nm chips. If you've ever wondered why it's so hard to get much smaller, and what holds us back from forever going smaller and smaller, well Quantum Tunneling is the single largest reason. At the Quantum level, particles have a habit of magically disappearing and reappearing a short distance away. Which doesn't bode well when electrons do this inside an incredibly small chip.

But I'm assuming most here are already somewhat familiar with this phenomenon. But what happens if, for example. Even one single Higgs Boson were to Quantum Tunnel into its ground state. Currently the Higgs hangs out in a relative dip at around 126GeV. But unlike all other particles, the place it currently resides isn't it's natural ground state. That being considerably lower, and called the Ultra-Dense Higgs Field.

The chance of a Higgs particle Quantum Tunneling into that field is statistically small. However, out of the bajillions and bajillions of particles that make up your back yard, much less the entire universe.... If even one of them were to do that, what would happen? Well, that would ruin the ending and negate the entire purpose of watching a video now wouldn't it.

So get out there and find out just what sort of chaos would ensue.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Rofl turns out i posted in support of the same guy on this thread twice, wahey

Last edited:
This is a good channel if you're interested in and like watching single celled and micro organisms. Nice narration, educational and lots of beautiful footage. Viewing channels like these make me think a bit differently about things and how I view the world, or shall I say it helps me to be even more appreciative of life.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

XFqHtXE.jpg

Tschumi

I like Noah Caldwell Gervais. YouTuber, does super long analysis video essays.. I regularly watch them when i need something interesting bubbling along in the background.

.... People take pot shots at him for whatever reason, and differing opinions are fine, but I've watched him for years and these haters really gotta be clenching their buttholes, twisting their balls and squinting hard to see anything outright offensive about what he does, imo.

Aarbron

Dangerous Knowledge is a good watch. Deals with theorists involved in issues of infinity and set theory. The first episode on Georg Cantor is fascinating. He had a massive influence on mathematics with set theory but very few probably know his name outside of the technical fields. The episode on Kurt Gödel is also great.

Unfortunately, can only find it on Daily Motion now, you might have better luck elsewhere:

Top Bottom