• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend the greatest novel to ever graced your eyes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Of a more serious nature, it is AMAZING that this book was written 150 years ago!

ELSAueq.jpg

Hard to pick one, but one of Bukowski's novels that follow Henry Chinaski or John Fante's Ask the Dust would have to be my pick

saga1.gif

AskTheDust.jpg

when it comes to Bukowski, I really can't pick a single novel in that series. I read them all back to back, so they all sorta blend together for me timeline wise.

The_Body_2009_Edition.JPG

The novella before the movie Stand by Me made it huge.

I'm going to break the rules and post a second -

The_Light_of_Othe_Days_Book_Cover.jpg

Brilliant sci-fi book and the effects of technology on society in a totally not boring bullshit way.

TwiztidElf

Is this really that good? It's been on my 'maybe' list for years, but like the WoT, the number of books in this series is a little off-putting.
Yes. And you can read Magician as a stand alone book. No need to commit to the series.

Wheel of Time is a huge commitment, and well worth it. Books 7-9 though.....
I always thought its possible to stop at the end of book 6, as many story arcs end there, and the end of book 6 is superb.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Not my favourite novel but did put me onto one of my favourite writers: Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, Anne Tyler

It has been a long time since I read any of them but I was really into Chuck Palahniuk's early novels - everything up to Haunted is an entertaining read. Everything after that has been garbage.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hard to pick one, but one of Bukowski's novels that follow Henry Chinaski or John Fante's Ask the Dust would have to be my pick

saga1.gif

AskTheDust.jpg

when it comes to Bukowski, I really can't pick a single novel in that series. I read them all back to back, so they all sorta blend together for me timeline wise.
Bukowski is a blind spot for me. I should remedy that.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

trying to think of others I've read.

have done fear and loathing in Las Vegas

to kill a mocking bird

I must get back into reading more.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Is this really that good? It's been on my 'maybe' list for years, but like the WoT, the number of books in this series is a little off-putting.
I loved it, one of my all-time fav books next to slaughterhouse 5, Dunction wood series.

Raven117

I read the first ten pages yesterday. Interesting collection of words.
Bro, and that collection of words are some of the easiest.

Try (I think) it’s 11am with Stephen walking in the beach…

You going to keep going?

Tams

I love 'Around the World in 80 Days'. Just the whole premise and setting speaks to me. Some parts have really not aged too well though, even taking the setting into account.

So 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' for me. The rest of the 'trilogy' is great too, but the first book just hits the right spots.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've never been one to read the classics, so I can't speak to those.

But one book that sticks out to me as one of my favorite books of all time...

JMoOl0S.jpg

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass

Now I'm not big on westerns or romance, but holy shit. This book was incredible. It's basically an entire book about the main character's backstory. They just escaped death from a killer train and are sort of in "recovery" mode for a bit. And this is when The Gunslinger talks about what happened before his quest began. It's weird because it could pretty much be a standalone novel, but the impact of everything is magnified by a thousand because of the bits and pieces you've heard up to this point. I actually struggled to finish it simply because I didn't want it to end.

Having said that, I couldn't get into Book V and never did finish the series. I read about the ending and was happy to have called it there.

Last edited:

StargazerXL

I also highly recommend
The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect
2rhzjMk.jpg

It's best to go into this book blind, but: It is a novella that explores what it means to be human and how people would adapt to immortality and the end of the world. It contains incredibly gruesome scenes of violence, rape, and torture. It is very, very good. I read it in one sitting.

You can read it for free at the author's website:
The author also posts on reddit and is pretty approachable. There is a review of the book and interview with the author on YouTube buy Atun-Shei Films. Be it does discuss the subject matter of the book, as well as some literary interpretation, including background information and interpretation by the author. As I said, I think it's best to go into the book as blind as possible, so I won't link to it here, but I feel it is an accurate review with a good exploration of the topic.

You can purchase an ebook here:

It is also available as a print on demand book for roughly $18 if you would like to order it from a local book store to support such a store and the author.

I had never heard of this book before this thread and just completed it. Fantastic, short read. Thanks for the recommendation!

Artoris

Gold Member

saga1.gif

AskTheDust.jpg

I want to read this one, as Dust

Top Bottom