• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Online finally put out to pasture as Rockstar move resources to GTA6/Online

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...eft-auto-and-red-dead-online-community-update

Over the past few years, we have been steadily moving more development resources towards the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series — understanding more than ever the need to exceed players' expectations and for this next entry to be the best it can possibly be — and as a result, we are in the process of making some changes to how we support Red Dead Online.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Lol. And to think the fanbase wants to have an official funeral for Red Dead Online in a few days to show R* they still care.

I'm seriously starting to hate R*/T2 and I'm really scared of what GTA 6 will be like. I'm sure it's going to look amazing, but other than that...

This direct feedback from players has been instrumental to the ongoing success of both GTA Online and Red Dead Online

Fx Spit GIF by Mayans M.C.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

A year of silence and no updates or fixes. You're well past,

Your silence was deafening.

50+ million in sales isn't good enough, and gosh forbid the company of over 1,000 have two dedicated teams.
It really does make you wonder where all that money goes. Read dead 2 came out four years ago, made millions upon millions, nothing major added. Gta V came out nine years ago, made Billions, nothing major added apart from rehashes and duff trinkets for GTA online

We had a hammy remaster of the old GTA's, made millions, and thats it really..

KgVaDym.png

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So weird to see shitty GaaS and mobile games supported for years, while R* abandons this massively successful game. Are the executives receiving 500M quarterly bonuses or something?

TheMan

Yeah I don’t know what they were thinking with this. Maybe the massive runaway success of GTA online has skewed their view of what success can look like with their other franchises. I mean RDR2 sold tens of millions so the potential audience was there, right? Maybe if they had invested in more quality content they could attracted more players

Last edited:
So weird to see shitty GaaS and mobile games supported for years, while R* abandons this massively successful game. Are the executives receiving 500M quarterly bonuses or something?
I don't think they'll abandon them straight up. Still too much of a cash cow. They'll definitely pull back any hopes of anything new coming to the games and also provide minimum updates/content.

theHFIC

BENZ wouldn't have let this happen.

How did Rockstar not know from the start that people were more interested in hover bikes, lasers, homing missiles, car tuning, etc over riding around horses and picking up bounties? It must of had a horrible attachment rate of people sticking around to play (and spend) online. I think online currency and microtransactions are evil however you look at it, but if I had to buy something, I'd rather get a cool car or or business in GTA than some kind of different looking horse.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It will probably come out after the next USA presidential election, so spring 2025, but with an original launch date of nov 2024.

Spyxos

I think i played rdo online for over 200 hours. I stopped shortly after the naturalist update. It is mind-boggling that this game is basically dead.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think they'll abandon them straight up. Still too much of a cash cow. They'll definitely pull back any hopes of anything new coming to the games and also provide minimum updates/content.
That's exactly what they were doing this entire year for RDO. Nothing but lame telegram missions. No new added content, or even a bug fix patch in OVER a year.

So... just more of the shit same.

I wouldn't be surprised if GTA6 has the shortest story mode in the series to date or if R* announced it will be an entirely online experience with no single-player at all. It would destroy all sales records regardless.

The Old Rockstar died back with GTA IV. I liked my first run with GTA V because it was new, and the revamped Engine made wonders to the game but story was subpar compared to IV (to me. My opinion). I liked the more serious tone of IV and even liked Nico Belik over most GTA protagonists.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was a return to form in storytelling for Rockstar. Arthur Morgan was a Stellar protagonist, and the whole crew was incredible as well. But the terrible and gimped RDR2 online experience and the obvious favoritism towards GTA Online killed my mood to play it online in any capacity. I used to say the next main GTA game would be a day-1 purchase but I'm not willing to buy it with the way the studio is Hyper-focused on the Online portion of the game. My worst fear is if they get a way to make a hybrid of online with the next installment and there won't be an "offline" GTA experience.

Katajx

Gold Member
I was never really into GTA Online but seeing the way they supported it gave me hope for Red Dead.

Sure they couldn’t go wacky with all the vehicles and sci fi shit, but bank heists and big set piece train robberies and shit would have been fun.

Aaron Olive

I was never really into GTA Online but seeing the way they supported it gave me hope for Red Dead.

Sure they couldn’t go wacky with all the vehicles and sci fi shit, but bank heists and big set piece train robberies and shit would have been fun.
Could’ve, would’ve, should’ve, a lot of ideas relevant to the time period might have saved the game but R* is EA on terms of minimum investment let’s see what’s happens approach.

Owning your own ranch / businesses
Train heist
Bank heist
Drinking games
Duels…etc
Horseshoe games
Gambling

Or or…… Zombies?? RDR 1

A lot of things could have been done to make the online experience more enjoyable. luckily after the story was over I never set foot online cause I knew what was going down.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
Could’ve, would’ve, should’ve, a lot of ideas relevant to the time period might have saved the game but R* is EA on terms of minimum investment let’s see what’s happens approach.

Owning your own ranch / businesses
Train heist
Bank heist
Drinking games
Duels…etc
Horseshoe games
Gambling

Or or…… Zombies?? RDR 1

A lot of things could have been done to make the online experience more enjoyable. luckily after the story was over I never set foot online cause I knew what was going down.
I even waited months for it to launch and played it with my son. The story set up so many cool things they could have done for Online.

All of those would have been great!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Nothing in the OP is reflected at all in the actual press release. The moving of resources line is something has ALREADY been occurring and the most cynical read of that is that it will continue in the future, not that the game is shutting down or won't be supported. It definitely won't be supported on the level of GTAO (and it hasn't been), and that support definitely has an end date - but the editorializing in the thread title doesn't really match reality.

Droxcy

Lay the dog to rest. No content after all these years smart to move em to 6.

If only we could get a April-May 2023 release date I'll be sad once again we haven't gotten a title image so yeah doubt it.

Top Bottom