• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 fan with nearly 6,000 hours on Stadia begs Rockstar for character transfer

Moses85

It is his fault. Why the hell he played the Game on Stadia. This shit was doa

Animated GIF

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah but that only work when you’re on Microsoft’s platforms. Same as with Steam Deck and Steam.
What we need is cloud saves that sync on all platforms where you have access to the game. Start on XSX, continue on PS5, then on Steam, then on XSS, then PS4. Etc. Starting over just because you want to experience the game on another platform is so annoying.
Why didn’t I finish Horizon Zero Dawn on PC? Because I had already played 40 hours or so on PS4 and it sucked to start over from scratch, I dropped it fast. Even worse with RDR2. Finished it on XB1X, playtime counter says I played it for 0.7 hours on Steam…
Spot on.

Buggy Loop

Cloud streaming should always be just an addition, to play your games (and you saves) when you are on trip or shit like that. Never main "system" for games.

GeForce Now had the right idea, purchase your games on Steam, and you borrow Nvidia’s PC for streaming. You don’t use it as a store.

Sad that some developers threw a hissy fit at Nvidia because we wouldn’t buy the game twice 🙄 Greedy fuckers. It would have been an amazing service otherwise.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
GeForce Now had the right idea, purchase your games on Steam, and you borrow Nvidia’s PC for streaming. You don’t use it as a store.

Sad that some developers threw a hissy fit at Nvidia because we wouldn’t buy the game twice 🙄 Greedy fuckers. It would have been an amazing service otherwise.
Yeah, something like GeForce Now or Xbox Game Pass streaming (when they allow to play games even outside the GP) are good complimentary services.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah but that only work when you’re on Microsoft’s platforms. Same as with Steam Deck and Steam.
What we need is cloud saves that sync on all platforms where you have access to the game. Start on XSX, continue on PS5, then on Steam, then on XSS, then PS4. Etc. Starting over just because you want to experience the game on another platform is so annoying.
Why didn’t I finish Horizon Zero Dawn on PC? Because I had already played 40 hours or so on PS4 and it sucked to start over from scratch, I dropped it fast. Even worse with RDR2. Finished it on XB1X, playtime counter says I played it for 0.7 hours on Steam…
It would be great if that could happen but as long as the way saves are handled is different across platforms it probably won't happen.

Fredrik

It would be great if that could happen but as long as the way saves are handled is different across platforms it probably won't happen.
I guess it could be harder than it seems since it’s not happening. I don’t understand why though. File system differences?
Are there any devs that are doing multiplatform save syncing?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Please Rockstar, I know you are all focused on GTA6 and cleaning up from the breach, but throw us a bone here.

I would legit be so excited if they just shadow dropped a 60fps patch for RDR2, but I know that’s now a pipe dream and I will have to wait until PS6 for them to sell it to me for £70 (or maybe £80 at that time) I will gladly pay it like a chump.

daveonezero

Banned
Man, what a bunch of dicks in this thread.

Regardless of how many life hours he wasted regardless of how dumb he is for choosing Stadia, the problem needs to be addressed, period.

They shouldn't just do this for RDR2, but for all games.
No he signed the TOS. Maybe we should pay more attention.

People need to learn some personal responsibility even with something as insignificant as this

These companies are not your friend.

Not to mention there's people IN THIS THREAD that have spent far more than that amount of time on gaming overall. Shit, I wonder how many are into MMOS and wanna dump on this dude
Yeah but self hosting, having save game data and owning your own hardware is a choice. And it minimizes a corporations control of your possessions no matter what

Last edited:

Puscifer

People need to learn some personal responsibility even with something as insignificant as this

Yeah but self hosting, having save game data and owning your own hardware is a choice. And it minimizes a corporations control of your possessions no matter what
Yeah but it's online progress, it shouldn't really matter

kiphalfton

6k hours is enough time. This guy needs to be cut off, as that sounds like addiction level.

He played the same game for six hours a day, three years in a row? He should thank google for admitting that Stadia is dead.

Math checks out, since game came out in November 2019 on stadia.

Yeah, 6 hours/day is enough.

Besides not like servers for multiplayer games don't get shut down eventually.

Last edited:

FingerBang

You and others sound like you think this guy DESERVES this shit because he decided to play on Stadia. We can see the smug and sense of superiority coming out of choosing the right platform instead of this stupid npc who decided to buy a game on Stadia. Personal responsibility in choosing a platform that failed?

You know who's responsible for the game being on the platform? The developers. Google is being very consumer-friendly on it, giving a refund for hardware that will stay there and all of the games, regardless of how many hours you played them.

It's absolutely reasonable to ask Rockstar to do the same since:
1) It's not a highly complicated process, is very likely all those game share the same backend so the save data can be retrieved and added somewhere else.
2) The game is still ongoing and there is profit to be made moving the Stadia players to a different platform.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Zero sympathy, what is he a Muppet and didn't realize the risks? Fuck sakes even my ma could see Stadia was a dead system walking the only shocking thing about this is how long it took for Google to shut this joke of an attempt down

nkarafo

Imagine investing all that time and energy on something that's. apparently, so important to you but you do it on a platform where you have ZERO control over it.

THIS is the problem with those streaming services. Not the lag, not the image quality, not the connection issues. It's the lack of control and ownership over your own content.

nkarafo

Genuinely feel for this person. But nothing last forever. He could have been playing GTA III on PS2 for example - cant carry your save.
Wrong. There are programs that allow you to backup and transfer saves to anything you want. Even exchange saves between consoles and emulators. And that applies for all consoles, even those that don't use memory cards and save their files in the carts or in the console itself.

Local, non-DRM files last forever. Console games can be dumped and played on emulators if the last real console stops working. GoG games can last forever as long as you back them up. And even if there isn't an OS that can play them anymore, you can still use emulators/virtual machines. Even DRM ridden files can be cleared with cracks (as long as the files are local) and can be played forever, without needing any online checks from some remote server that doesn't exist anymore.

Local files means you have control over them. Someone can use them so they can make them workable now or in 500 years from now. That's why publishers want to push streaming as the standard. Because this way they don't have to allow you any local files in your hard disk, thus keeping you from having this kind of control.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
How the heck do you game that much? I play games quite a lot (whole having a full time job) and my most played game since 2014 is Skyrim with 280 hours logged.

When was the stadia version of RDR2 released? 6000 hours is like an average of 4 hours per day in 4 years. That's batshit insane.

Last edited:

Banned
I categorically will refuse to have any sympathy for people that support Cloud Gaming services like Stadia that are 100% cloud based.

so,
The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

PUNKem733

I just love people choose a new service to use from google and think it's going to be around more then 2-3 years lol. 99% of all google services shut down within that timeframe, to put that many hours into gaming on google is something.

Banned
How the heck do you game that much? I play games quite a lot (whole having a full time job) and my most played game since 2014 is Skyrim with 280 hours logged.

When was the stadia version of RDR2 released? 6000 hours is like an average of 4 hours per day in 4 years. That's batshit insane.

November 2019 was the release date on Stadia
so less than 3 years ago

isn't that like 6 hours a day?

Kenpachii

November 2019 was the release date on Stadia
so less than 3 years ago

isn't that like 6 hours a day?

Probably like most mmo players just had his game on 24/7 standing still in a town or something. I had insane play time in some mmo's or even they are billions, yet i have it on 24/7 never really play it.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I'm like the most hardcore RDO fan out there, and I'm done with it. No point with no new content being made, one of my buddies and I still log in like, twice a month to horse around (heh) but that's it. No idea what this fool is doing.
It’s such a damn shame too. I played the hell out of the game with my best friend, we had all sorts of shenanigans happening. The drunk slapfights are stupid as hell and we did it every time we logged in. There were so many unscripted moments that resulted in hilarity. I still remember when we both happened to jump from our horses to jump to the other’s horse and we collided midair, fucking died laughing.

When that rumor of a RDR2 remaster was floating around, I was hopeful that maybe that would bring in more life into RDO after getting another surge of sales. Ah well…

wvnative

It’s such a damn shame too. I played the hell out of the game with my best friend, we had all sorts of shenanigans happening. The drunk slapfights are stupid as hell and we did it every time we logged in. There were so many unscripted moments that resulted in hilarity. I still remember when we both happened to jump from our horses to jump to the other’s horse and we collided midair, fucking died laughing.

When that rumor of a RDR2 remaster was floating around, I was hopeful that maybe that would bring in more life into RDO after getting another surge of sales. Ah well…
My buddy and i do the horse jumping thing all the time, and to this day have only collided once. We were stunned it was even possible.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I guess it could be harder than it seems since it’s not happening. I don’t understand why though. File system differences?
Are there any devs that are doing multiplatform save syncing?
Things like saves not even being compatible across generations is annoying. One of my frustrations right now is that I can't share saves between PS4 and PS5 for cross gen games. I either have to import and upgrade the save for PS5, which means I can't continue the same game on PS4 any more, or I have to run the PS4 version of the game on PS5 and lose out on any PS5 upgrades. Once I get a second PS5 it won't matter any more but right now it's kind of annoying.

I also wish Switch automatically synced saves across devices. It works on the primary Switch but if you have more than one you often have to manually download the latest save to the non-primary device. At least Switch will warn you before you start playing if saves are out of sync. I dread to see what Nintendo does with them if the next Switch is backward compatible.

Radrigal

The fuck is going on with the hypocrisy in this thread? Are you all just being sarcastic?

Mock him for buying and playing on stadia. Dunk on him for begging for features that don't exist.

But why the hell are people insulting him for his playtime and choice of game? On a GAMING DISCUSSION FORUM no less. And I'm not even a fan of RDR2.

Have we finally reached the new age of gaming edginess?

"Yeah man, I game regularly, but not like those nerds who have made it their hobby. I'm an outstanding, upright, and respectable gamer™ who doesn't let any game's playtime reach 10 hours. Don't want anyone to think i enjoy them or something."

Top Bottom