• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 fan with nearly 6,000 hours on Stadia begs Rockstar for character transfer

tough shit. how stupid do you need to be? everyone knew it was only a matter of time before google killed stadia.

don't invest in google products because we all should know by now that that google will not hestitate to abandon that product.

suck it up dude. maybe go outside for a bit.
With that number of hours I doubt he's ever been outside. Must be fucking albino by now

Flutta

Banned
That’s why you can never support digital/cloud services. They basically own your games and can take them away from you at anytime. Blame yourselves. This is the future that you enabled and supported. I have no sympathy for idiots.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Imagine gaming on Stadia for almost 6000 hours.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

What % of total Stadia playtime do you figure he represents, 25%? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And to think I'm always a bit embarrassed seeing that 600+ hours I spent in KSP. At least there is always this guy. In what 2.5 - 3 years of the game being on Stadia he managed to spend nearly a 3rd of that time in game.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
How is this different than MMO dying? All the FFXIV characters will be erased, together with WoW.
Red Dead Online is still up and running. It’s just a matter of platforms being segregated. My Ultima Online character is over two decades old and I could login and play right now if I wanted. It’s likely FFXIV and WoW both will also endure for the foreseeable future. We live in strange times.

RDO’s on minimal life support though. I had my fun with it, but I am baffled that anyone could still find stuff to do in there after 6K hours. Last serious update Rockstar gave it was last Halloween. Not even kidding. It’s been almost a year. Doesn’t pull in the GTAO money, so I guess that’s that.

Gamerguy84

Lol damn some of ya are pretty hateful.

I'm following this story now because it's interesting to see what Rstar does here. If they do it for him every single person who's spent an hour on stadia is going to ask and expect it.

At the same time I hope they do. They have more money than they know what to do with and could devote a small team, put a form online, and do this for people easily for some positive PR.

Portugeezer

Isn't stadia just the PC version? I'm sure Rockstar can flick some switches and resolve this.

But they won't, because barely anyone plays stadia version.

RavageX

Nah, this dude(and others like him) need to just accept the loss and see it as a lesson learned. You take a risk on a new platform, you can't really be surprised. You see how much support Stadia was getting, you saw how focused Rockstar was on keeping RDR Online updated compared to GTA....what did you think would happen?

What do you think is going to happen when other online games go away? What about those people that were playing...what was it? Godfall? Should I be upset that my Elder Scrolls online could go away one day? Or that my City of Heroes characters are only alive through images? Be happy with the time you had with the game/platform and move on.

Portugeezer

That’s why you can never support digital/cloud services. They basically own your games and can take them away from you at anytime. Blame yourselves. This is the future that you enabled and supported. I have no sympathy for idiots.
I agree, minus the harsh words 🤣

But my guy had the means to play RDR2 another way (hence why he wants save transfer), but decided to opt for the stadia version of a game... I simply...

Confused Mouth Open GIF

Verchod

Do we know why they're shutting it down? Surely with something like this you have to be in it for the long run. Did they expect instant success?

ReBurn

Gold Member
So when Read Dead Online eventually shuts down how will owning a disc allow people to keep playing? This is not a digital/cloud issue. It's a Stadia business model issue.

The problem with Stadia was that the only way to access the content you paid for was through streaming. Paying to purchase games only playable by streaming was never a good idea and people who did it should have seen this coming. Streaming itself Is fine as long as you still have the option to install and play your games locally.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yeah it’s 2022 why aren’t everyone using platform agnostic cloud saves?
Some of us don't play online. I don't want anything saved to the cloud where I can't get to it when I don't have good internet access.

clarky

Gold Member
The people begging for cross-save are hilarious.

What an absolutely niche demand. Next, you should be able to buy a game once and play it on all platforms. Hell, why not at the same time so if I buy it and I have a friend we can play at the same time? Let's go further, why should I even have to pay for the game in the first place? Games should just be free.

It's a "nice to have" for sure. There are absolutely times when I've purchased a game on Steam if it wasn't available on PSN and then later becomes available on PSN. I'd rather play on my PS5 and not have to start over, but I made that choice when I started the game on Steam.
What? Cross save should be standard these days and is a great feature when implemented.
Its great that i can play Destiny or COD on the PS5 then continue on my laptop at work, same for COD. And have you heard of play anywhere? why should i need to buy exactly the same game on pc when i own it on PlayStation? the difference in code is minimal these days with consoles being mostly pcs in a box. If a game plays on both xbox and pc but not PlayStation i know which one im buying.

Get with the times old man.

Last edited:
What? Cross save should be standard these days and is a great feature when implemented.
Its great that i can play Destiny or COD on the PS5 then continue ony laptop at work, same for COD. And have you heard of play anywhere? why should i need to buy exactly the same game on pc when i own it on PlayStation? the difference in code is minimal these days with consoles being mostly pcs in a box. If a game plays on both xbox and pc but not PlayStation i know which one im buying.

Yeah, if I have to decide to buy a game on Steam or PS5, I will get it on Steam, just because of being able to access cloud saves with SteamDeck. I have refunded games in the past because of the lack of cloud/cross saves.

Buggy Loop

I mean.. did he leave the game ON all day all week all month just to have a scenery generator in his home? Can't possibly really put 6k hours into this game and still have a life.

I imagine Rockstar's answer
Lose Willy Wonka GIF

Impotaku

There’s a life lesson in there about not relying on a streaming platform. if he’s really that beat up about it just pick a platform that still has it and start again if he’s really that much of a fan to play that many hours he can happily go through all the story & missions again.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Genuinely feel for this person. But nothing last forever. He could have been playing GTA III on PS2 for example - cant carry your save.

Its great that i can play Destiny or COD on the PS5 then continue on my laptop at work, same for COD. And have you heard of play anywhere? why should i need to buy exactly the same game on pc when i own it on PlayStation? the difference in code is minimal these days with consoles being mostly pcs in a box. If a game plays on both xbox and pc but not PlayStation i know which one im buying.

Maybe when you're on your laptop at work... you should... I don't know.... be working?

If you want to play anywhere, you invest in an ecosystem that supports that i.e. PC and Steam Deck. The more you invest in that because of that and market research will reflect that and the console manufacturers will follow suit.

Right now Sony and Microsoft have pushed remote play and consumers need to show them whether that is a value add or not.

You said it yourself. You bought it on PlayStation, not PC. That's like saying, hey movie theater, I paid for a ticket to see a movie, so I should be able to watch this movie as many times as I want. Hell, it was for theater 11, so I should have lifetime use of theater 11 regardless of the movie we're talking about. That's silly and entitled.

The difference in code may not be as substantial as it once was, but the number of people involved in the primary project let alone cross-platform projects is significant and everyone wants annual pay raises of at least 3%. How do you expect publishers and manufacturers to keep up with that without some element of passing it on to the consumer? The last thing we need is niche requests driving up the cost of games.

wvnative

Red Dead Online is still up and running. It’s just a matter of platforms being segregated. My Ultima Online character is over two decades old and I could login and play right now if I wanted. It’s likely FFXIV and WoW both will also endure for the foreseeable future. We live in strange times.

RDO’s on minimal life support though. I had my fun with it, but I am baffled that anyone could still find stuff to do in there after 6K hours. Last serious update Rockstar gave it was last Halloween. Not even kidding. It’s been almost a year. Doesn’t pull in the GTAO money, so I guess that’s that.

I'm like the most hardcore RDO fan out there, and I'm done with it. No point with no new content being made, one of my buddies and I still log in like, twice a month to horse around (heh) but that's it. No idea what this fool is doing.

I mean.. did he leave the game ON all day all week all month just to have a scenery generator in his home? Can't possibly really put 6k hours into this game and still have a life.

I imagine Rockstar's answer
Lose Willy Wonka GIF

The game came out in 2019 on Stadia.

There have been 1,047 days since the release of the game.

That means on average he plays the game 5.7 hours per day.

That's certainly excessive and suggests some element of wallpapering.

clarky

Gold Member
Maybe when you're on your laptop at work... you should... I don't know.... be working?
I work away from home for months at a time. Thanks for the concern about my work output though ill let the boss know. Wait a minute i am the boss.

Your analogy about cinemas really doesn't make any sense. its a completely different form of media sold in a completely different way. We where talking about cross save and in turn cross buy, both of which already happen. Going to the movies relates to this how?

Last edited:

Fredrik

Some of us don't play online. I don't want anything saved to the cloud where I can't get to it when I don't have good internet access.
I don’t play online but I have internet. Local saves can be combined with automatically uploaded saves to the cloud when you get access to the internet, then they can be downloaded to another device if they see that the cloud save is newer. Works perfectly with Steam Deck and PC. I don’t see why it can’t work with Xbox and Steam, they just need to use the same save info and convert the files if they use different file systems.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don’t play online but I have internet. Local saves can be combined with automatically uploaded saves to the cloud when you get access to the internet, then they can be downloaded to another device if they see that the cloud save is newer. Works perfectly with Steam Deck and PC. I don’t see why it can’t work with Xbox and Steam, they just need to use the same save info and convert the files if they use different file systems.
It works this way on Xbox. Saves sync automatically across devices via the cloud and it gives you the choice of which version you want to keep if they get out of sync. When I was playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition I could be playing downstairs on one console and by the time I got upstairs to continue playing my progress was already synced to the other console.

RaySoft

A Red Dead Redemption player with almost 6,000 hours logged on Google Stadia is begging Rockstar to allow character transfers after the news of the service's closure.

YouTuber @ItsColourTV(opens in new tab) took to Twitter shortly after the news that Google Stadia is shutting down broke out yesterday. "No, you don't understand how seriously pissed off I am," the tweet read, alongside a screenshot that shows that they've put 5,907 hours into Red Dead Redemption on Google's gaming service.

"For context: these hours are on Google Stadia and today Google announced they'll be shutting down the platform," a follow-up tweet(opens in new tab) reads, "@RockstarGames please let us do a one-time character transfer I am begging you." If you aren't aware, once Google shuts down its Stadia service on January 18, 2023, ItsColourTV's progress will all be erased from existence, meaning they'll need to start a new save file on another platform - with all 5,907 hours (approximately 246 days) going to waste.

It seems that fellow Red Dead Redemption players felt sympathetic towards ItsColourTV, with many replying to the tweet with suggestions as to how to save this player's save. One suggested(opens in new tab) that ItsColourTV use Google Takeout - a data downloading service - to transfer their file to PC, to which they replied: "I don't play story mode."
[/URL][/URL]

Without reading the whole thread, I'm guessing the sentiment here is that unless Google fixes it, no-one will. (and we all know THAT is a death sentence)
I feel sorry for him. Someone should step up out of bounds here fixing the unfixable.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Why would anyone give a shit about the amount of hour they've put into RDR2? im not super familiar with it as i dropped it half way through as i found it boring. Its a single player game no? surely once youve done everything what else are you doing in the game?

An RPG i could understand but this?

Fredrik

It works this way on Xbox. Saves sync automatically across devices via the cloud and it gives you the choice of which version you want to keep if they get out of sync. When I was playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition I could be playing downstairs on one console and by the time I got upstairs to continue playing my progress was already synced to the other console.
Yeah but that only work when you’re on Microsoft’s platforms. Same as with Steam Deck and Steam.
What we need is cloud saves that sync on all platforms where you have access to the game. Start on XSX, continue on PS5, then on Steam, then on XSS, then PS4. Etc. Starting over just because you want to experience the game on another platform is so annoying.
Why didn’t I finish Horizon Zero Dawn on PC? Because I had already played 40 hours or so on PS4 and it sucked to start over from scratch, I dropped it fast. Even worse with RDR2. Finished it on XB1X, playtime counter says I played it for 0.7 hours on Steam…

Last edited:
Any Math ppll here can calculate this per GB spent playing?

That... is what I'm curious about when it comes to Cloud gaming.

using data, regardless if its "'unlimited", to play a offline single player game just sound crazy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom