• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption remaster reportedly in development

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/red-dead-redemption-remaster-reportedly-in-development/

A Red Dead Redemption remaster is reportedly in the works for PC and consoles.

The new claim comes from Rockstar Magazine, as first spotted by Reddit, an outlet with a track record of reporting Rockstar-related information in the past. Now, Rockstar Magazine is claiming knowledge of a remaster of Red Dead Redemption, over a decade after it originally launched in 2010.

You can watch the video below, where the claims are made, but, it's in French, so you may want to grab your old GCSE French to English dictionary to help translate.

Platforms aren't specified by the outlet, but Rockstar Magazine specifies not to expect a complete remake of Red Dead Redemption for this new remaster, but rather a visual overhaul and upgrade as with Rockstar's forthcoming GTA remastered trilogy.

Kuranghi

We need to see the flower-collecting guy's distrubing secret rendered with more polygons.

I love RDR 1 so much. So fun to just head north of Armadillo at first available chance and murder tons of animals for that hunting list:

Armadillo Resident #1: "Where's that new guy... was it John?"
Armadillo Resident #2: "I think I saw him running in circles near the big tree up north for 5-6 hours straight last night, so he's probably sleeping now"

CitizenZ

Banned
Seems like a no-brainer. Half of the map of the first Read Dead Redemption is already present in the second one.

Yep, all the assets and animations are done, all you would need to do is add some character models, script story and done. And its not like they have to come up with anything new.

Skifi28

I have no idea why they took so long, but better late than never. Not having an Xbox, the PS3 version is a pretty bad way to experience it if you're not emulating.

Kilau

Gold Member
I have no idea why they took so long, but better late than never. Not having an Xbox, the PS3 version is a pretty bad way to experience it if you're not emulating.
The story has always been the engine is a total mess, barely holds on. Not feasible to port it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Speaking of "no-brainer" am I the only one in disbelief that RDR2 has not seen a next gen patch? If a game ever could use the speed of the SSD for loading and streaming along with 4K support and 60fps, it's that game! WTF Rockstar?

I'm sure it's coming. And I'm sure it won't be free.

I played the game 3 years ago on Xbox One X and it looked absolutely fantastic (native 4k).

I have it on PC (pretty decent PC with 3080) but I'm yet to re-play it. There's DLSS support so it must be running and looking amazeballs.

I'm not surprised. What I am surprised about is all the excuses over the years on how they can't do one, ie spaghetti code, lost dev notes, assets act...

Last edited:
Good, I haven’t played it yet.

Haven’t played GTAV for that matter.
Or Skyrim.

I am part of the problem when it comes to these constant remasters, I guess.

Edit: Oh wait, it was RDR1 not RDR2. Dammit, already played that. Give us RDR2 next gen update plz.

It really doesn't need one. Just play on PC.

Kokoloko85

Nice. GTA 4 would be good too.

And more importantly how about a 60fps upgrade for RDR2?
Its the last game from last gen I left for a next gen patch. Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Final Fantasy 7Re, Spiderman, TLOU2 all got upgrades and Im glad I waited to play them for PS5

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Mmmh it's curious how Reddit and DSOG don't mention my thread yet nobody's talked about that before me, despite the videos being a few weeks old.

cormack12 cormack12 you can add that the remaster will come to PS5/XboxSeries/PC and it will have gameplay and story enhancements to be more in line with RDR II (confirmed by Chris in an older video)
Also wait a little to play RDR 1, the remaster is not releasing soon but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Who the hell is Rockstar Magazine and what is their track record?
Here you can read how the site was formed (in French but you can use Google trad)
They personally know the staff at Rockstar France. They are also an officially approved media by Rockstar Games.
So they are reliable, especially Chris who have direct contact with R* employees. They don't make a lot of noise but he talked about previous update for GTA Online, talked about The Trilogy and the release date and quite a lot of stuff for RDR II.
It's difficult to source you something since it's mostly done on video but if I had to take a leak seriously, R* Mag is in first place (equally to GTA Forum verified users)

Nice. GTA 4 would be good too.
Sadly it's not happening. Chris also talked about GTA IV Remastered and said it is not happening at all because the code it too much of a mess.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I always hoped for the first game to be available as dlc for the second game. Naturally, a remaster of the first game could get a $60 price point and people will pay it.
Damn. I know its not a popular opinion buy GTA 4 is my favourite
I agree! I loved GTA 4 so much that I even spent hours hunting down the pigeons. As much as I would love a remaster, I will gladly thank everyone involved at Rockstar, Take2, Microsoft, whoever for getting GTA IV on modern consoles.

YukiOnna

Man, I really hope it's true. We're probably not getting RDR 3 till 2029 or something at this rate so it'd be nice and I have no interest in the GTA franchise.

DapperSloth

Would you guys recommend playing it on the PS3? Already 100% it on Xbox 360 back in the day but I want to play through it again and have the plat for it.

EDMIX

It REALLY doesn’t need it. One x/SX is native 4k and solid fps… it’s choppy on 360 at times but looks good enough.

Ok buddy, Rockstar's aim is not to accept "good enough", its irrelevant to them that someone can play it thru BC

BC is not going to make them more money
BC is not going to magically make more content, not going to make new models or textures, not going to alter design etc. Thus, none of that shit matters and I don't get why people think that a remaster or remake being done is based on if THEY feel it um "need it" lol

ok bud, I don't think you understand what is going on at Rockstar my friend. It would fucking be like saying you don't think McDonalds needs new burger ideas because you like the Big Mac and its um "good enough" as if you alone solely eat at McDonalds or something and when a rumor of a new burger comes up you like "it REALLY doesn't need it" as if the goal was to ONLY give you something YOU want and only you or something odd like that.

Rockstar isn't fucking doing this for you alone sir, they are doing this for those who haven't played the game, who don't want to buy a used 360 copy to play on BC, who don't want to play it as it is currently and most of all, its being done to make money, not provide you a service out of the kindness of their hearts or something.

You could have argued that those 3 GTA games um "REALLY doesn't need it doe" and yet here we are with remasters, of 3 games already ported to PS4 and XONE years prior. When you think of a business, don't add in this weird "need" based on personal view, add in "need" based on money for the company. They don't give shit that you are full from a Big Mac sir, thats irrelevant to them making more =)

Ok buddy, Rockstar's aim is not to accept "good enough", its irrelevant to them that someone can play it thru BC

BC is not going to magically make more content, not going to make new models or textures, not going to alter design etc. Thus, none of that shit matters and I don't get why people think that a remaster or remake being done is based on if THEY feel it um "need it" lol

ok bud, I don't think you understand what is going on at Rockstar my friend. It would fucking be like saying you don't think McDonalds needs new burger ideas because you like the Big Mac and its um "good enough" as if you alone solely eat at McDonalds or something and when a rumor of a new burger comes up you like "it REALLY doesn't need it" as if the goal was to ONLY give you something YOU want and only you or something odd like that.

Rockstar isn't fucking doing this for you alone sir, they are doing this for those who haven't played the game, who don't want to buy a used 360 copy to play on BC, who don't want to play it as it is currently and most of all, its being done to make money, not provide you a service out of the kindness of their hearts or something.

You could have argued that those 3 GTA games um "REALLY doesn't need it doe" and yet here we are with remasters, of 3 games already ported to PS4 and XONE years prior. When you think of a business, don't add in this weird "need" based on personal view, add in "need" based on money for the company. They don't give shit that you are full from a Big Mac sir, thats irrelevant to them making more =)
friday-ice-cube.gif

SirTerry-T

Denis Leary, is that you?

Majormaxxx

Would you guys recommend playing it on the PS3? Already 100% it on Xbox 360 back in the day but I want to play through it again and have the plat for it.
On ps3 it's slightly worse than 360.

I finished it on ps3 just fine (absolutely nothing bothered me) but then when I saw it running on 360 on the same TV, it was sharper and with more ground detail. The 4k Xbox consoles run the 360 game great. Though now it's an older game and animation is a bit clunky.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Why bother? I don’t know how much better it would get than the 4K Xbox copy already.

Then I tell myself exactly why, so that shell of a company can leech even more money from people, honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they told Microsoft disable the upscale at this point 😂

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Hope theres added new content, and not a "remaster" like gta 3, vice city and SA

i hope it's not a remaster like the gta remasters

i would love a RDR remaster that just replaces the original graphics and physics with RDR2 graphics and physics

LimanimaPT

Wow this trend doesn't stop. Instead of making new games, this companies shovel remasters and remakes down our throats and people seem to enjoy it.
Stop with this nonsense and just make new games.
What's next? Manic Miner remake?

Duchess

Stop with this nonsense and just make new games.
You probably already know, but making new IPs are extremely risky.

Companies do, in fact, look into creating new IPs all the time; they're looking for the next big thing. Trouble is, most of them are binned off because they discover the idea simply doesn't work. The game that became Ratchet and Clank is a great example. Insomniac had done most of the work on it, before cancelling the entire thing:

Even more stuff:

Speaking of "no-brainer" am I the only one in disbelief that RDR2 has not seen a next gen patch? If a game ever could use the speed of the SSD for loading and streaming along with 4K support and 60fps, it's that game! WTF Rockstar?
If they release a patch then people won't buy the inevitable "remaster" coming in a few years.

Business

Praying it's a remake on RDR2 engine. A straight remaster meaning keeping all or most of the assets in its original quality is meh.

ACESHIGH

Banned
We need this on PC. It's long overdue. Hopefully it's just a port of the original game with higher FPS and settings. Something akin to GTAV PC vs the 360/PS3 versions

Last edited:
Top Bottom