• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Arucardo

Bah, sad to see no audio fixes. I hope they get around to it for the next patch. Tanks and MKB audio crackles/distorts like a mother f'er on my system, so much so that it's unplayable for me :( .

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Max said:
"-Minor performance improvements"

Only minor? But my friends can't even play the game comfortably :(
Was mentioned on the forums that this is most likely the mappers update with little input from the coders. Don't be surprised if you see another update later this week specifically aiming at drilling more bugs out and ironing performance issues.

rabhw

There's something so satisfying about killing in this game, not to sound psychotic or anything.

Usually its just one shot, then a brief moment of mystery, then confirmation you got the kill, and it all happens so quickly, and oftentimes you're within milliseconds of being spotted/killed yourself.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
rabhw said:
There's something so satisfying about killing in this game, not to sound psychotic or anything.

Usually its just one shot, then a brief moment of mystery, then confirmation you got the kill, and it all happens so quickly, and oftentimes you're within milliseconds of being spotted/killed yourself.
The headshots are glorious. The worst ones are when you believe you hit someone and you're not too sure because it looked like they ran off. 5-10 seconds later, confirmation that it was a stomach shot or something ridiculous. At least with the anti-tank rifle you know when you hit someone they are down for the count due to the splatter of red everywhere.

I had one last night where I was caught surprised by an MG setup coming around a corner and my only reaction was to shoot where I thought I saw it while bleeding and under suppression. Crawled over to bandage myself and then I saw the confirmation. Managed to kill the damn bastard with an extremely lucky hit.

Sober

Man I felt so badass on the goon server while on Station. Rounded a corner, saw a prone Russian looking the other way so I shot him with my kar, the another one showed up in the middle of a grenade toss so instead of clicking again to cycle my bolt I sprinted right at him and smashed his face in with the butt of my gun.

Yeah, the killing in this game is real satisfying.

I just wish the HUD and UI wasn't from 2003.

IlludiumQ36

Was hoping to see a fix for the issue in map voting where it doesn't scroll to the entire list of maps (keeps resetting to top of list). So annoying only playing the few maps visible in the list.

Qwomo

I find myself going rifleman more and more because stabbing dudes with bayonets is just the most fun thing ever.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I was getting iced by basically everyone with an automatic tonight. I don't think a single rifleman ever killed me.

Do you guys notice the map tweaks much? Are they for the better?

IlludiumQ36

I can't really tell a difference. I am, however, one of apparently the fortunate few who have never encountered any performance based issues, beta or final. Couple of CTD's but nothing else.

Max

I am not Max
Level 80 now, 5000 kills 1500 deaths

Pray to god they're trying to fix stats sooner than later, I feel like a cheater with these level 25+ weapons that I haven't earned

Qwomo said:
I find myself going rifleman more and more because stabbing dudes with bayonets is just the most fun thing ever.
Za rodinu! Za Stalina! Bayonet charge!

I usually get shot to pieces when I'm doing that. I do love the bolt actions though when you found a sweet spot and put down a rapid succession of enemies running into your line of sight. Manually bolting your rifle while plucking them away just feels so...right.

rabhw said:

I love the short range kills the most. There you can see the bullet entry wounds and the blood splatter (which is done really, really well) and see them fade away in a puddle of blood. Gruelling but satisfying.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
IlludiumQ36 said:
I can't really tell a difference. I am, however, one of apparently the fortunate few who have never encountered any performance based issues, beta or final. Couple of CTD's but nothing else.

Ditto, minus the CTD. Infact this and Dead Island (33hrs to complete, not one hitch/bug/lost svae) run perfect for me with max everything (Even with Steam Community enabled during RO2), only problem I had was the connection problem from the initial install. I consider myself extremely lucky.

New Patch messed up the achievements. I killed 2 guys with my rifle and got the Kills Platin Achievement (1000 Kills) and 3 Tank Achievements. Then the game crashed...

Pisuke1983 said:
New Patch messed up the achievements. I killed 2 guys with my rifle and got the Kills Platin Achievement (1000 Kills) and 3 Tank Achievements. Then the game crashed...

This isn't new, but it does seem very random. I've got a few random achieve here and there (make 50 people bleed out after my first kill) but a friend of mine got a whole bunch after his first game.

Pisuke1983 said:
They were messed up from the beginning. My honour level and weapon progress is constantly changing and I keep getting strange achievements. Restart I say.

edit:
Somehow my performance got worse with the new patch. Station was barely playable just now on a 48 slot server.

edit2:
Played a short bit of Pavlov's house and axis can still shoot into the allies spawn? They also seem to have closed some doors leading out of the spawn, funnelling the allies even more...strange.

My performance was bad before, but this patch is kind of a joke. Plus, more achievement bugs. Ugh... I want to love you, RO2, I really do!

I think im in love with pavlovs house. Nothing beats sniping as the axis in that map.

I set up on the house and just pick off Russians Left and right. Fun to shoot into their spawn too.

JBuccCP

Grabbed this yesterday and managed to play a few games. I love it! I don't really know what I'm doing yet, especially on the more open maps where you get nailed from long range, but have still managed to kill some dudes in close quarters. Last game I encountered a "squad" and managed to take them all out myself. Two dudes were standing behind a doorway and we threw grenades at each other and about the same time. I hauled ass but I guess they didn't cause they both died. I then slowly crept backwards up a staircase and picked off the remaining three as they came up after me. There was another guy with me but I'm not sure if he did anything useful so I'll take all the credit. Game is super tense.

I'm using a gtx 460 and performance seems fine to me using the high preset. I've only played a few maps though, some might be worse than others.

gibon3z said:
I think im in love with pavlovs house. Nothing beats sniping as the axis in that map.

I set up on the house and just pick off Russians Left and right. Fun to shoot into their spawn too.
It was you *points finger and shakes angry fist*.

Yeah, the map still sucks for allies. Nothing beats getting picked off right at the spawn.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
My performance is suddenly worse especially in close quarters. My frames just drop out the window, I try to shoot, miss, the enemy does this neat little crouch/duck move and then bayonettes me in my balls. On Barracks this was happening every other life and it was a bit frustrating, I tried turning down the settings I could in game, but nothing really helped the slow down.

It could be this awful 540m I'm playing on, by far the worst video card I have ever used.

JDSN

Banned
Im really loving this game, the community is still filled with assholes but it just makes it better when they go from "GTFO GO PLAY COD NOOB" to calling me a hacker because I shot them through the closed blinds of some windows.

ACE 1991

JDSN said:
Im really loving this game, the community is still filled with assholes but it just makes it better when they go from "GTFO GO PLAY COD NOOB" to calling me a hacker because I shot them through the closed blinds of some windows.

My biggest problem with the community is NO ONE actually communicates or works together, although this is true for pretty much any game. I wish some of you guys would play with me! =P

Qwomo

ACE 1991 said:
My biggest problem with the community is NO ONE actually communicates or works together, although this is true for pretty much any game. I wish some of you guys would play with me! =P
Yeah, the lack of teamwork is pretty disappointing. I have yet to find a server where people actually use voicechat or teamchat to full effect.

Ezahn

Red Orchestra 2: Great Expectations

I'm really loving the atmosphere and the bravery of many design choices.
But still too many bugs and glitches. That applied to a very precise and tactical game do not work well at all.
But I'll persist! It's war, and war harvest her losses...

LyarVonLyar said:
My performance is suddenly worse especially in close quarters. My frames just drop out the window, I try to shoot, miss, the enemy does this neat little crouch/duck move and then bayonettes me in my balls. On Barracks this was happening every other life and it was a bit frustrating, I tried turning down the settings I could in game, but nothing really helped the slow down.

It could be this awful 540m I'm playing on, by far the worst video card I have ever used.
Well I had to lower my settings to "low" now to have it at least playable. For a X965/5850 combo that's unacceptable imo. Still love the game though.

R2D4

Banned
Best part about this game is the intense feelings it gives you.

"Is that in enemy in that window?"

Goes back to cover.

Looks around corner again.

"Looks like dude but I'm not sure"

Goes back to cover.

"Was that muzzle flash?"

Goes back to cover.

Gets head blown off.

Notes:

A required update for RO2 has been released. Changes include:

- Fixed a bug where all sound would sometimes cut out when the map changes
- Various crash fixes for server and client
- Client performance optimizations
- Single Player Fix - fixed "double music" playing when loading the game from a checkpoint
- Added the ability to enable webadmin through the commandline. This will allow you to override what is in the ini files, thus fixing up any issues with inis getting overwritten by updates. To enable webadmin via the commandline add EnableWebAdmin=True to the "?" separated commandline parameters. To set the webadmin port add WebAdminPort=<DesiredPort> to the "?" separated commandline parameters.

As usual it does not fix anything it doesn't say it fixes, nor will it make you more attractive to the opposite sex

As a heads up, we are continuing to work on the following:
- VOIP
- Stats
- Crashes
- Optimization

Vastag

Some bugs are making the game really unplayable for me:
- The "unreliable ammo": sometimes weapons do not fire the first time. I'm getting second rate ammo :-(
- The pistols have dissapeared for me, I can only use a pistol when I take one from the floor.

It feels like I'm stuck in Stalingrad with the supply lines cut, using whatever crappy weapon I can find.

Uriah

Vastag said:
Some bugs are making the game really unplayable for me:
- The "unreliable ammo": sometimes weapons do not fire the first time. I'm getting second rate ammo :-(
- The pistols have dissapeared for me, I can only use a pistol when I take one from the floor.

It feels like I'm stuck in Stalingrad with the supply lines cut, using whatever crappy weapon I can find.

I think Pistols are not available for rifleman on Realism mode.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Vastag said:

I think they were aiming for that.

Qwomo

Man, the flood limit in textchat is infuriating, as is the inability to communicate once the round/map ends.

Loving the support this game is getting. We have had almost a patch a day each one improving the game.

Eventually this game will be uber polished and even better when the new content arrives.

Performance is still bad with this patch but at least the sound bug is gone and it seems to be very stable now...at least for me.

I threw a satchel charge right outside a house door and fucking killed 4 people (including ones on the far end of the house running away from it).

HUGE blast radius. This game's fun.

I don't think I'll ever unlock the STG gun though, is that deluxe edition exclusive? Because unlocking anything seems like a very long feat for this game :(

Performance hasn't really had much done to it with the patch, and the second game I got into RO managed to somehow kill all sound (including Vent) until I restarted the game. That's the first major thing I've encountered.

Also, servers seem to be high ping (100+) no matter where they are, what's that about?

Still though, I don't think there's been a game for the last 5 years that made me lean forward, squint and mutter "am I sure that guy's an enemy" before pulling the trigger. It's not a TK most of the time, I swear.

Generally I rely on the colour of uniforms to tell, as the Russians have kind of an orange ting to them at times. Unfortunately a friend of mine (we were Axis) happened to be standing near a fire as I entered a building and he had a glow about him. That didn't go well.

I've had like three patch downloads today as well as the big recent one. Anything new in those? Is Tripwire in panic mode or something? Or is my Steam just wigging out?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game is officially awesome. It's pretty much instadeath in 80% of cases, you should accept this. I'm gonna spend a lot of time playing it this weekend.

iam220

- Fixed a bug where all sound would sometimes cut out when the map changes

Yes. YES. Hell Yes! One of the most rage inducing bugs ever, epsecially given how long it takes this game to load a map on my computer (Thank god for in-game web browser). Glad it's fixed.

Top Bottom