• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Spwn

Been loving the game, but the single player was a big let down and the bugs are pretty annoying. Sometimes I fall through the ground and sounds have stopped working. Achievements are also messed up. But I just can't stop loving the game! The game keeps me on my toes all the time and dodging enemy bullets and then putting the enemy down with a single shot is just rewarding words cannot express it.

edit: Seems like the latest patch addresses the sound issue I mentioned.

HotHamWater said:
Performance hasn't really had much done to it with the patch, and the second game I got into RO managed to somehow kill all sound (including Vent) until I restarted the game. That's the first major thing I've encountered.

Also, servers seem to be high ping (100+) no matter where they are, what's that about?

Still though, I don't think there's been a game for the last 5 years that made me lean forward, squint and mutter "am I sure that guy's an enemy" before pulling the trigger. It's not a TK most of the time, I swear.

Generally I rely on the colour of uniforms to tell, as the Russians have kind of an orange ting to them at times. Unfortunately a friend of mine (we were Axis) happened to be standing near a fire as I entered a building and he had a glow about him. That didn't go well.

Axis and Allies both have different sprinting, running , crouch running animations too. Makes it easier to identify them at long distance.

Edit - Another 18.1 mb patch o_O

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Are you supposed to get the Marksman achievements with the sniper rifle or are they for the unscoped versions only? Think I'll wait until the stats are working properly before spending any significant time with it, sniping people from 200m away while they're running for cover is so much fun, especially when their body drops to the floor.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The game where lying on your belly for 5 minutes straight is fun. I honestly thought that's how Arma is played online, but not Red Orchestra. I usually play at realism servers due to ping and people drop very easily. It's a more interesting game than I expected it to be.

aeolist

Banned
Cracked and bought the game from GetGamesGo. Worth it so far.

I've had one crash and two bugs, one where the spawn timer disappears and I can't spawn and one where the sidearm disappears and I can't use it. Both come and go.

Also hit detection is sometimes really weird but I think that was mostly lag.

So has anyone killed somebody with blind-fire yet? I find that the cover-system is mainly a good way to get killed due to how exposed you are when you peak out. I also don't like that it's a toggle, making it needlessly difficult to just pop in and out. Inching your way out while leaning always seems like a better option.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I am playing awful these past couple days. I don't know what happened, but I am just getting waxed relentlessly now. Not like I changed up my tactics or haven't been learning the maps more. I still enjoy the game, but my ego is taking a major bruise lately lawl.

Atomski said:
Really loving this game. Is there a Neogaf server? or a server gaffers frequent?

Kentucky Fried Gulasch is where most of us play.

spicy cho

Danne-Danger said:
So has anyone killed somebody with blind-fire yet? I find that the cover-system is mainly a good way to get killed due to how exposed you are when you peak out. I also don't like that it's a toggle, making it needlessly difficult to just pop in and out. Inching your way out while leaning always seems like a better option.
It seems to me that the cover system is just a bullet point on a features list, I can't remember last time I actually used it.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
I'm getting diminishing returns on the FUN.

I am quite sad. I'd really like to see less restricted classes. I'm tired of being rifleman because my laptop is slow and loads last. I also have a handful of servers to play on with a decent ping due to my location and I'm not liking some of the settings. Maybe I should hang it up while I still like it some and come back to it in a few months when I return to the states.

spicy cho

LyarVonLyar said:
I'm getting diminishing returns on the FUN.

I am quite sad. I'd really like to see less restricted classes. I'm tired of being rifleman because my laptop is slow and loads last. I also have a handful of servers to play on with a decent ping due to my location and I'm not liking some of the settings. Maybe I should hang it up while I still like it some and come back to it in a few months when I return to the states.
Man, that sucks. SSD master race here, I get first pick every map.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
Yeah, I really can't wait to build a new computer when I get back. My younger sister sort of claimed my old rig when I came to Korea. My laptop just doesn't cut it. Maybe in a few months the mod community will be getting established and there will be some neat servers with custom maps, etc.

subversus

spicy cho said:
It seems to me that the cover system is just a bullet point on a features list, I can't remember last time I actually used it.

I kill most people from behind the cover. Very useful.

Also prone.

Man the performance is killing me. Day off from work and I play a bit on Commissar's house on a 64 slot server. I have my settings on "low" now, yet I still struggled to even reach 30 FPS (on medium it's simply unplayable). And I disabled DOF, blur etc. in the .ini too (X965, 5850, 12 GB, Win7).

Regardless to say I wasn't being too happy about this so I browsed the TW support forums and struck some gold by Ramm-Jaeger:

Sorry guys you can't have it both ways. Either we cut down detail in the levels and it runs better for a wider range of people, or we leave the detail and then everyone complains about "OMG this game doesn't run as good as every other game I play that just happens to be a console port with low detail." And unfortunately, another symptom of almost all recent shooters being console ports is everyone just cranks there graphics up to Ultra no matter what hardware they have, then come crying to us that the game doesn't run very good on their 3-5 year old hardware. This being due to the fact that games designed to run on 5 year old console hardware usually run awesome on 5 year old machines on the highest settings.

Sorry to be blunt, but sometimes I have to
That was in reply to people complaining that geometry was taken out of Pavlov's House. The game now looks worse than COD2 on my machine (probably even 1) and runs like ass.

It seems TW is losing it. I still love the game but the performance is abysmal and got worse for me with every patch, regardless of what they took out. I was always being super supportive about TW and bought the Deluxe out of that notion but I will not buy their future products on launch, that's for sure.

subversus

it seems that you have a problem with your machine. I'm playing on ultra with all details and effects maxed out + FXAA and get stable 30-50 fps. i5-2500k + 6950 2 gig. My card isn't that better than yours.

What is this - X965???

I can't find this CPU. I think CPU is your main bottleneck. if it is dual-core, you're not serious with trying to get more that 30 fps out of this game. Bad Company 2 was basically unplayable for me on dual-core no matter what setting I'd set.

subversus said:
it seems that you have a problem with your machine. I'm playing on ultra with all details and effects maxed out + FXAA and get stable 30-50 fps. i5-2500k + 6950 2 gig. My card isn't that better than yours.

What is this - X965???

I can't find this CPU. I think CPU is your main bottleneck. if it is dual-core, you're not serious with trying to get more that 30 fps out of this game. Bad Company 2 was basically unplayable for me on dual-core no matter what setting I'd set.
My performance was considerably better with the latest beta. It has gotten worse with each patch. I left out the 4 with the CPU (dunno if there is a dual core variant). It's a quadcore clocked at 3.4 GHz (stock). I tried overclocking but that didn't get me a sufficient enough performance boost to justify the additional noise (air cooled).

subversus

Phife Dawg said:
My performance was considerably better with the latest beta. It has gotten worse with each patch. I left out the 4 with the CPU (dunno if there is a dual core variant). It's a quadcore clocked at 3.4 GHz (stock). I tried overclocking but that didn't get me a sufficient enough performance boost to justify the additional noise (air cooled).

it's software then. Have you tried to reinstall it?

demolitio

We shouldn't immediately assume that anyone with performance issues have hardware problems when their forum is littered with people that have top of the line PC's that are having weird performance issues no matter what setting it's on while people with slow dual-core CPU's are having no problems, even one of them that's pretty old now that was used by TW to test the game. Computers from all ranges are having issues while others can run it fine.

I ran the game better with the last beta patch than I do right now. It seems they just keep saying it's the map detail and want to tone it down when that same exact map had no problems before the retail game came out. Them toning down the level detail tells me not to expect any big boosts in future patches as they plan on toning the levels down and releasing them as they're done meaning one map will be toned way down and then the next map will run shitty again for some people.

I've accepted my settings but there's still some wonky shit going on. Others even have the same problems as me where the framerate drops like a rock after a map or two but it was ignored. Check out their forums and then decide if we should just blame everyone's hardware still.

All I know is this isn't the best way of going about fixing the performance issues by punishing those who have only minor problems. Hell, someone that has a PC very comparable to mine runs it fine on ultra and laughs when I say my game gets worse with the patches after trying EVERY fix in the book.

They talk about how this game isn't some console port yet it has more problems than most ports we get and this is supposed to be built FOR PC's where we can have good graphics and good optimization. The level detail is nice, but they act like they have a Crysis looking game on their hands instead of a modified UE3 game. If this isn't some crappy console port, then they should be able to blow people away visually. So far, they keep blaming their customers who bought their game and are sticking in there through the rough launch instead of admitting there's some issues going on. I'm a big fan of TW, but that kind of hurts their reputation with me since they want to blame others and tell us how hard they worked when all people want are some signs of progress. I'm not a fan of them blaming their own fans for that shit.

Erdem

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Man the performance is killing me. Day off from work and I play a bit on Commissar's house on a 64 slot server. I have my settings on "low" now, yet I still struggled to even reach 30 FPS (on medium it's simply unplayable). And I disabled DOF, blur etc. in the .ini too (X965, 5850, 12 GB, Win7).

You really should send your Perfdump file to them so they can look into it.

Stat Perfdump & You!

I have a noticeably worse machine than yours(i5 750, 5850, 4Gb) and the game is butter smooth with everything on ultra.

demolitio said:
We shouldn't immediately assume that anyone with performance issues have hardware problems when their forum is littered with people that have top of the line PC's that are having weird performance issues no matter what setting it's on while people with slow dual-core CPU's are having no problems, even one of them that's pretty old now that was used by TW to test the game. Computers from all ranges are having issues while others can run it fine.

I ran the game better with the last beta patch than I do right now. It seems they just keep saying it's the map detail and want to tone it down when that same exact map had no problems before the retail game came out. Them toning down the level detail tells me not to expect any big boosts in future patches as they plan on toning the levels down and releasing them as they're done meaning one map will be toned way down and then the next map will run shitty again for some people.

I've accepted my settings but there's still some wonky shit going on. Others even have the same problems as me where the framerate drops like a rock after a map or two but it was ignored. Check out their forums and then decide if we should just blame everyone's hardware still.

All I know is this isn't the best way of going about fixing the performance issues by punishing those who have only minor problems. Hell, someone that has a PC very comparable to mine runs it fine on ultra and laughs when I say my game gets worse with the patches after trying EVERY fix in the book.

They talk about how this game isn't some console port yet it has more problems than most ports we get and this is supposed to be built FOR PC's where we can have good graphics and good optimization. The level detail is nice, but they act like they have a Crysis looking game on their hands instead of a modified UE3 game. If this isn't some crappy console port, then they should be able to blow people away visually. So far, they keep blaming their customers who bought their game and are sticking in there through the rough launch instead of admitting there's some issues going on. I'm a big fan of TW, but that kind of hurts their reputation with me since they want to blame others and tell us how hard they worked when all people want are some signs of progress. I'm not a fan of them blaming their own fans for that shit.
Couldn't have said it better myself. TW is really ruining their reputation right now by trying to put the blame on their fans and I don't really know why they would want to do that as a small indie dev.

subversus said:
it's software then. Have you tried to reinstall it?
Yeah, had the game generate new .inis, verified, defragmented and re-installed.

Erdem said:
You really should send your Perfdump file to them so they can look into it.

Stat Perfdump & You!

I have a noticeably worse machine than yours(i5 750, 5850, 4Gb) and the game is butter smooth with everything on ultra.
Yeah I should probably do that but I don't like to register for too many websites and you can't post as an anonymous there.

Shawsie64 said:
I think I had these tweaks from the get-go (at least DOF - simply because I don't like the effect).

Maybe I'll try the beta 11.9 drivers. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Sober

Most maps I play at best I get 40 fps, I usually hover around 20-30 at Medium settings. Sure, other UE3 games run better both those are console ports. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because most maps are really just complex (buildings with nearly all the rooms available instead of a few rooms, especially Grainelevator). That being said, I have no problem scoring 10-15 kills with a bolt action even without the 'required' 60fps.

As for removing some geometry from the maps ... really it could've been for a variety of reasons, or the best option would've actually been to get it to scale with people's settings rather than outright removing it, unless it was for optimisation purposes. But right now it feels like TW needs to hire better testers and PR people because they are making themselves look ridiculous right now.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Performance issues here also. On par with many other recent games since my PC is relatively low-end, but said other recent games tend to look bloody gorgeous justifying the drop in performance. Like Metro 2033. Other UE3 titles seem to do more taxing things visually and still run pretty damn smoothly on my PC... Texture quality is pretty low too... Maybe they need to optimise their content in line technically with how it looks if the problem is that they have way too many polys or whatever, yet without great results...

Also, the game feels very janky/unpolished/betaish... I don't remember the original RO being like that, outside its own milder performance issues on my older PC...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Shawsie64 said:
Did this for my little brother since his game was sluggish as hell. Worked beautifully. Cheers.

As for the patch, this is all I could find while glancing through the TWI forums.
- significantly improved VOIP system
- Optimized Fallen Fighters map
- Fixed some Single Player spawn issues
- Various crash fixes for server and client
- Client performance optimizations

Deadbeat said:
Did they fix the stats yet?
Don't think those will be fixed for another few weeks.

Dina

Last time I'm buying a game that's still this much in progress. There's glimpses of greatness in here, but I'm not waiting for weeks after release for them to show up on a regular basis. There's too much to play to just keep hoping with every patch.

Max

I am not Max
Game needs a Disable VOIP option now that it works. I don't need to listen to half hour conversations about call of duty/battlefield 3/origin/mass effect.

Tokubetsu

Can't seem to find any servers. The browser wont work nor is the steams ervers thing. Funny because I can see how many people are online in-game. wtf?

Do those tweaks make the game look noticeably worse, or is it just keeping the same quality with a higher framerate?

I've not really got any performance issues, but a higher framerate is always a good thing.

HotHamWater said:
Do those tweaks make the game look noticeably worse, or is it just keeping the same quality with a higher framerate?

I've not really got any performance issues, but a higher framerate is always a good thing.
Not really noticeable imo. They don't give me a boost but this game is so strange with its performance. While it has gotten worse for me after the last beta it has gotten better for others. Just copy your engine.ini someplace safe, try each setting separately and you can always revert back.

I am fiddling around a bit myself, adjusting flip queue size (render frames ahead) but so far I haven't found the magic "runs good again" button yet.

Marco1

I have given this game as much patience and love as I can but when the devs are taking geometry out of levels to get performance up on a UE3 engine game then I can firmly state they don't have a fucking clue what they're doing.
I am applying for a refund.

subversus

Honor points I earned in a match don't add up to my overall honor level. Is it this stats thing?

Phandy

subversus said:
Honor points I earned in a match don't add up to my overall honor level. Is it this stats thing?

Stats are all kind of broken. They have problems recording, problems with achievements, problems with getting unlocks, problems with jumping around levels etc.
They are straight up broke.

Atomski

Marco1 said:
I have given this game as much patience and love as I can but when the devs are taking geometry out of levels to get performance up on a UE3 engine game then I can firmly state they don't have a fucking clue what they're doing.
I am applying for a refund.
I don't understand the issues you guys are having.. I had a rough time during beta but since release it has ran just fine for me. Just turned down shadows and music off.

FGMPR

Banned
The last patch increased my performance plenty. Too bad it seems each patch breaks performance on some people's PC's, whilst improving others.

It's been a really rough launch so far, but the underlying game is worth sticking around for.

edit: Does anyone know if they will be able to rollback the unearned achievements, or are we stuck with them for good?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Do people still play the original? I think I'll try that again until this thing gets out of alpha.

Qwomo

Alextended said:
Do people still play the original? I think I'll try that again until this thing gets out of alpha.
You'll play it for about 5 minutes before realizing it's aged terribly. It's practically unplayable.

Relax.MX

I play today again and really this game sucks sooooo much...run worst now than last week, the disappointment of the year for me...TWI...i never gonna buy a game for you(without a sale of 75%)

Qwomo

This game is great! It'd probably be my GOTY if it weren't for Portal 2 and DXHR. Definitely my go-to multiplayer game for the foreseeable future, though.

Top Bottom