• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Nelo Ice

Banned
sucks people are still having problems, this game has run perfectly for me since launch. hope they got all the issues ironed out soon cuz the game itself is insanely fun. though besides the performance fixes i really hope tripwire gets to fixing stats and achievements.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
considering dev's statement about polycount.

I have been playing with UDK recently and I noticed that increasing polycount can affect your perfomance drastically. At the same time polycount is barely noticeable by most people in-game until we talk about a REALLY big increase. And most people tend to notice not when it's applied to objects and terrain but when there are more objects on the map. For example even if you aim down sights in Bad Company you'll notice poligons on them immediately (even though most people don't). I've got an impression that weapon models in RO2 have more polys than your average shooter.

But the most drastic perfomance decrease occures when you add polygons to make your terrain look smoother. Now this shit people don't notice at all until you're making a helicopter simulator. But if you're crawling most of your time in some holes left in terrain from projectiles you'll start noticing it in your subconsciousness - like something is wrong here. I'm yet to play Spartanovka and it's hard to conceive what tesselation factor they've used on terrain from youtube videos but well tesselated terrain + big maps = huge pefomance hog with no way to patch it as you need to do the map from scratch and change its layout in most cases.

These are just my assumptions, I need to play the game (and UDK) more to see if I'm right (more or less).
 
subversus said:
considering dev's statement about polycount.

I have been playing with UDK recently and I noticed that increasing polycount can affect your perfomance drastically. At the same time polycount is barely noticeable by most people in-game until we talk about a REALLY big increase. And most people tend to notice not when it's applied to objects and terrain but when there are more objects on the map. For example even if you aim down sights in Bad Company you'll notice poligons on them immediately (even though most people don't). I've got an impression that weapon models in RO2 have more polys than your average shooter.

But the most drastic perfomance decrease occures when you add polygons to make your terrain look smoother. Now this shit people don't notice at all until you're making a helicopter simulator. But if you're crawling most of your time in some holes left in terrain from projectiles you'll start noticing it in your subconsciousness - like something is wrong here. I'm yet to play Spartanovka and it's hard to conceive what tesselation factor they've used on terrain from youtube videos but well tesselated terrain + big maps = huge pefomance hog with no way to patch it as you need to do the map from scratch and change it's layout in most cases.

These are just my assumptions, I need to play the game (and UDK) more to see if I'm right (more or less).
You know I'd be fine with them toning down the poly count in places I don't really notice IF I'd get an performance boost out of it. Pavlov's still runs like crap, even with my settings toned down if I pan over January Square my FPS go down noticeably and the whole map feels like I'm playing in molasses due to the low framerate. If arty chimes in and a couple of tanks fire shells all hell breaks lose.

This and the stats are my biggest complaints right now and I'm not one of those guys trying everything on ultra on an integrated GPU either.

Other than that the game itself is getting more awesome as time passes. It seems people are getting the hang of the different roles and maps. I see cleverly placed smoke and TL staying alive and using their abilities. Only problem are the assault guys hanging back because their rifles can be used as semi-autos. More than often I have to lead the charge as a SL, which is counter-productive of course.
 

Jibbed

Member
Got the game a few days ago.. initial impressions/issues:

+ Brilliant when it works, I'm digging the realism
+ Cover system and movement in general is great
+ Guns feel like they should (in terms of recoil/range etc)

- Server browser takes ages to display anything (sometimes doesn't even show servers at all)
- Various glitches (one in particular covers my screen in lines, have to restart the game)
- Holding 'T' to display the objective is annoying... the tactical display should be on toggle
- Performance is all over the place.. some maps I'm getting a steady 40fps, others <30fps

Anyone else having issues with the server browser?
 

kase23

Member
Jibbed said:
Anyone else having issues with the server browser?

Not since the last couple of patches, but ive been using steams built in server browser to find my games lately



I'm alittle annoyed though that the stats are still borked, last night my class weapons all jumped to around lvl 49, took the wind out of playing the game for me a bit.
 

Jibbed

Member
kase23 said:
Not since the last couple of patches, but ive been using steams built in server browser to find my games lately



I'm alittle annoyed though that the stats are still borked, last night my class weapons all jumped to around lvl 49, took the wind out of playing the game for me a bit.

How do you get this browser up btw? Never seen this before!
 

Qwomo

Junior Member
I'm really glad that they fixed the VOIP stuff. The lack of voicechat/team communication was reallllllly killing me. It blew. Made me feel like I was just playing Call of Duty or Battlefield again.

But ugh, I've already heard kiddies complaining "waaah, shut up, don't use mic, this isn't xbox live, waaah" which is equally hulk-smash-worthy.


Jibbed said:
How do you get this browser up btw? Never seen this before!
Right click Steam -> Servers.
 
okay so sometimes if you wanna shoot nothing happens. is that a bug or a feature (jamming) of the game?

and who can actually hear you over VOIP. your team or squad?
 

Qwomo

Junior Member
Roude Leiw said:
okay so sometimes if you wanna shoot nothing happens. is that a bug or a feature (jamming) of the game?

and who can actually hear you over VOIP. your team or squad?
That's a reeeaaalllly annoying bug, not a feature. It usually happens with the first shot after you spawn.

No idea what the cause is. Just try to always test-fire your weapon when you leave spawn.

And I think there's squad, team, and global voice chat.
 

Sethos

Banned
Roude Leiw said:
okay so sometimes if you wanna shoot nothing happens. is that a bug or a feature (jamming) of the game?

and who can actually hear you over VOIP. your team or squad?

My friend said that's a miss-fire and is actually on purpose, can happen at any time.
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sethos said:
My friend said that's a miss-fire and is actually on purpose, can happen at any time.

God damn, when it happens it seems to happen me 100% of the time just when I got someone in my aim and am about to pull the trigger. It never happens when I just for the heck of it shoot in the ground or anything.
 
Roude Leiw said:
okay so sometimes if you wanna shoot nothing happens. is that a bug or a feature (jamming) of the game?

and who can actually hear you over VOIP. your team or squad?
As others have said it's a bug. Best way to avoid it most of the times is to shoot one blank after respawning.

markot said:
Id kill for a drink of water? I DONT CARE!
But look what they've done to our homes!
 

Blutonium

Member
Quick question: the Steam retail CD key list shows that the retail version of Red Orchestra can be redeemed in Steam. This doesn't apply for RO2 right?
 

markot

Banned
Blutonium said:
Quick question: the Steam retail CD key list shows that the retail version of Red Orchestra can be redeemed in Steam. This doesn't apply for RO2 right?
Its a steamworks game!
 
I absolutely, positively, adore this game.

If/when these bugs get ironed out, it's going to seriously cut into Battlefield 3/Skyrim time. Looking forward to the mods as well, Vietnam will be glorious if it gets the atmosphere down.
 
HotHamWater said:
I absolutely, positively, adore this game.

If/when these bugs get ironed out, it's going to seriously cut into Battlefield 3/Skyrim time. Looking forward to the mods as well, Vietnam will be glorious if it gets the atmosphere down.

I have quite the opposite reaction. I absolutely loathe this game. I hate the state that it was shipped in. I also hate the gameplay itself. I like the idea, but there's absolutely no "flow" to the action. It feels like you rush forward, hope you don't run into a korner kamper, and repeat. The maps are also very boring. Again, I don't think it's the actual design of the maps that suck (with the exception of Fallen Fighters), but rather that the gameplay itself lends more to camping than fighting.

I tried to like it . . . I really did, as I liked the first one a lot. Something just feels really off about this one. Maybe since the maps are smaller than RO1s, it doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility.
 

Sethos

Banned
HotHamWater said:
I absolutely, positively, adore this game.

If/when these bugs get ironed out, it's going to seriously cut into Battlefield 3/Skyrim time. Looking forward to the mods as well, Vietnam will be glorious if it gets the atmosphere down.

I agree. Once this is in better shape it'll easy take me away from other big titles. Definitely a GOTY contender for me.
 
SirButterstick said:
I have quite the opposite reaction. I absolutely loathe this game. I hate the state that it was shipped in. I also hate the gameplay itself. I like the idea, but there's absolutely no "flow" to the action. It feels like you rush forward, hope you don't run into a korner kamper, and repeat. The maps are also very boring. Again, I don't think it's the actual design of the maps that suck (with the exception of Fallen Fighters), but rather that the gameplay itself lends more to camping than fighting.

I tried to like it . . . I really did, as I liked the first one a lot. Something just feels really off about this one. Maybe since the maps are smaller than RO1s, it doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility.
It's been a while but I think RO lent itself more to "camping" (at least on certain maps) because everything was slower, there were more riflemen and less automatics. I really like the flow of some of the maps, you can divert attention and focus on certain parts and try to break through a different route. You have the lockdown which gives another urgency to attack.
 

Nelo Ice

Banned
damn this game makes u absolutely feel like a complete boss!

just played a game on the goons server on commisars house and cleaned house took out like 7-10 allies covering spawn 1 i think from the house. was so insane since they were seriously not watching their flank at all so i just pistol whipped and used my rifle to slaughter all of them then shortly after my team capped :D.

no other multi game ive played makes u feel like such a boss than when u clear out an enemy encampment like that.
 

spicy cho

Member
I also am loving this game. I really enjoy the teamwork that can happen on some of the better servers like 7cav. I'm sure the bugs will get ironed out in time, but I'm not really bothered by most of them. I could do without the lag spikes and fps dips but I can't say I'm not having a blast.
 

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They should also give us the option for old school sniper scopes, it's a performance killer the way it's done now. I think the original RO allowed you to choose between this style and the old way (ie, only the zoomed in view is visible with the rest blacked out, rather than displaying both a scoped and unscoped views at the same time - like the turret).
 

Sober

Member
Nelo Ice said:
damn this game makes u absolutely feel like a complete boss!

just played a game on the goons server on commisars house and cleaned house took out like 7-10 allies covering spawn 1 i think from the house. was so insane since they were seriously not watching their flank at all so i just pistol whipped and used my rifle to slaughter all of them then shortly after my team capped :D.

no other multi game ive played makes u feel like such a boss than when u clear out an enemy encampment like that.
Yeah, meleeing people especially. I think I flanked 7 people and shot and killed 2 of them on grain elevator, then I decided to screw reloading and ran up and bayonetted them all without them noticing.

That and getting the lucky melee kill when it gets all frantic, or you get the drop on someone. I actually shot and killed someone before and before I could cycle the bolt I had to charge and melee someone else.
 

Max

I am not Max
BigJiantRobut said:
The game thinks I'm level 91. I think the last time I played, I was like level 40 or so... what gives?
Stats are still broken and I'm still sad about it.

Lost all interest in playing with my level 20+ weapons I haven't earned myself.
 
Max said:
Stats are still broken and I'm still sad about it.

Lost all interest in playing with my level 20+ weapons I haven't earned myself.
I got to level 85 with a single kill yesterday and I really don't give a shit about the unlocks. They should just say "you know, that leveling system was a bad idea from the start" and roll with it, IMO.




Anyway, this game has a really weird idea about how users may want to use toggles. Why is the only option for the sprint/zoom button to disable the zoom altogether? Why can't I make it so that I don't start sprinting if I move while zoomed (kinda sucks if you're lying down)? Why must iron sights be a toggle? Why must ANYTHING be a toggle? Why ISN'T zoom a toggle, or tactical view?
 

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Marco1 said:
The leveling system needs scrapped and just leave everything unlocked.
This game doesn't need a leveling system.
Yep. If there is any problem I have had with RO2 at any time it was due to this. I miss the days when I could play a FPS and rely upon the game to be fun and dynamic, rather than include this forced artificial idea that to retain a community you need to have unlocks. I don't mind TF2's system where a majority of additional weaponry is entirely situational to the point where the original weapons are the best, it's the Battlefield/Call of Duty approach that irks me.

The unfortunate thing for TWI is that they have never really done something this "complex" and it is biting them in the arse. Every new patch that comes out there is always an individual asking "stats fix?" and that should hardly be the representative question asked for a FPS patch, especially when there are much larger discussions about map and weapon design.
 

Uriah

Member
speedpop said:
Yep. If there is any problem I have had with RO2 at any time it was due to this. I miss the days when I could play a FPS and rely upon the game to be fun and dynamic, rather than include this forced artificial idea that to retain a community you need to have unlocks. I don't mind TF2's system where a majority of additional weaponry is entirely situational to the point where the original weapons are the best, it's the Battlefield/Call of Duty approach that irks me.

The unfortunate thing for TWI is that they have never really done something this "complex" and it is biting them in the arse. Every new patch that comes out there is always an individual asking "stats fix?" and that should hardly be the representative question asked for a FPS patch, especially when there are much larger discussions about map and weapon design.

Anyone else just get a patch?
 
Uriah said:
Anyone else just get a patch?
Yep, nothing major though:

It fixes an issue where servers could become unranked when they shouldn't.
Actually scratching my head at this since the stats are broken. Stats fix soon?

edit:
Should've read the thread over at TW:

A performance tweak did go in. I'd be interested to know what effect it had on people's framerates. Ideally, it should help machines that had frequent framerate spikes.
*crosses fingers*
 

Max

I am not Max
Has anyone noticed any mouse lag since the patch? It feels as though I have smoothing on...

Friend had the same problem
 
So with flip queue 0 and the new 11.9 I can finally play at manageable framerates. Not ideal but no sub 30 FPS all the time either. With some performance enhances it would be quite good again.

Max said:
Has anyone noticed any mouse lag since the patch? It feels as though I have smoothing on...

Friend had the same problem
Make sure that it's disabled in the .ini as well and try to disable one frame thread lag.
 

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
RO2 beta is back.

Tripwire said:
We've just updated the RO2 Beta with test fixes for the stats issues and for the no-sound bug.

We want to get some volume testing on the stats fix - tested ok in small numbers in the office, but needs volume testing. If you still have the beta installed, it should update automatically. Please report any problems you find with the stats IN THIS THREAD. But please do watch the numbers carefully - we don't need lots of "I'm sure that wasn't right, but I can't remember"

The no-sound bug should also be fixed in there, but we want to check that out too.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=68091
 
Top Bottom