• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Card Boy

Banned
I'm really regretting buying this game, such a mess. Performance is still pitiful 1 month after launch.

The Australian community is dying, there is only 1 or 2 servers with people playing. The only thing that will save it is a free weekend and a sale. Keep in mind I'm not talking about other countries here.

Scythian

That's the result IMO of a relatively small developing group and budget, but this game has a lot of love poured into it, and so, they will fix it as much as they can, with a little help from the community. Ultimately, they have delivered a great product, un-polished as it may be.

Dakota47 said:
New patch.
-Fixed a bug which would sometimes cause the first click (fire, alt fire, or ironsights) after respawning to not register.
That one has been bothering me a lot. Good it's fixed now.

Gez said:
I'm really regretting buying this game, such a mess. Performance is still pitiful 1 month after launch.

The Australian community is dying, there is only 1 or 2 servers with people playing. The only thing that will save it is a free weekend and a sale. Keep in mind I'm not talking about other countries here.
Performance is better now with the new AMD drivers for me, although the beta still performed better for reasons that escape me. Try fiddeling with flip queue size (render frames ahead), that helped me quite a bit. Also try setting occlusion in the menu to high. Strangely enough it performs better for me at high. Disable AO and turn down the shadows - you will gain a lot of FPS but only lose a marginal bit of graphical fidelity.

As for the community dying in Aussieland, maybe try joining oversea servers? You can still be useful with a high ping.

Echoplx

Small dedicated community > large retarded community

I would only ever play on 1 or 2 servers anyway, get to know other players better and it's nice having servers that I'm used to.

Relax.MX

3chopl0x said:

I would only ever play on 1 or 2 servers anyway, get to know other players better and it's nice having servers that I'm used to.

5QXmp.jpg

j/k

I gave it a whirl for the first time since it was released last night, thinking it had to be better after the 10 or so patches that came out. It still runs bad, looks bad, and has one of the worst ui's I've seen on a multiplayer shooter. going prone and into cover are still glitchy as hell, which is inexcusable in a game where 1 shot kills you.

But at least it came out before Battlefield and Call of Duty.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
markot said:
This game will be dead soon.

Too bad. Wish I could get my money back.

Aussie too here.

Love doesnt make a game good.
This isn't a game for everyone, but the love did make the game good. At this point I don't even plan on getting BF3 or MW3 because they wouldn't be as satisfying to play (well, tbh I'll probably get pressured into MW3 by friends like I always do with CoD games).

The game is going to have a dedicated player-base for a long time too, just like the first game (I've played on and off for something like 7 years, and not once did I have trouble finding people to play with). This isn't the kind of game the core fans migrate from. No other game offers what RO does.

edit:
3chopl0x said:

The non-retardedness of the community for the first game was one of it's best features. RO2's was mad retarded around launch on some servers, so I'm actually glad those people stopped playing.

Relax.MX

With respect, these small communities(in most cases) are full of trolls who think they know everything, and they hate everything(because according to them they know what players should play, and COD / BF are things of capitalism and have nothing new and are for the mentally retarded)

I enjoyed the game, after the update of 3GB +...but i regret buying the game

Erdem

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
There isn't another MP game out there that I can think of that is as rewarding or exciting. Yes, the number of players have dwindled, but who didn't expect them to? The game got a lot of internet hype because it was the alternative to the CoDs and BFs, and the hardcore player base praised it as much as they loved it. But the game really is an acquired taste.

I'm a long-time RO1 player(since mod times, around 2005) with thousands of hours combined. I think TWI screwed up big time with RO2. I absolutely adore the feature base; the cover system, weapon and player animations, ballistics are top-notch. Maps look amazing, and the game runs great for me.

The problem with RO2 for me is that it's kind of stuck between appealing to masses and appealing to it's core fanbase. They tried to speed up the game by adding more automatic roles, prototype weapons everywhere, faster ADS, much less weapons sway, fatigue having no effect on weapon handling at all, lockdown but they also destroyed the subtle things that seperated RO2 from other shooters.

Now it's too hardcore for the "wider audience" they want to reach, and the royal playerbase is just pissed off because of the sped up gameplay and degraded authenticity. We were given promises by TWI right up to the release that the "realism" setting would be the end of our concerns, but it's just normal mode with less HUD clutter.

To be honest, TWI lost all my trust and If I had known the state of the game before, I wouldn't have bought it. Though, I can see it appealing to players who had no idea what RO1 was.

markot

Banned
I agree... I looooooooooved RO. But this is just a mess. Buggy, broken, crappy leveling system, awful engine with so much pop in, terrible voices, useless single player.....

Feh.

Most disappointing game in awhile. I loved RO but this is just a terrible sequel.

Im not a 'this isnt for you' person, RO was for me, I loved it.

Relax.MX said:
With respect, these small communities(in most cases) are full of trolls who think they know everything, and they hate everything(because according to them they know what players should play, and COD / BF are things of capitalism and have nothing new and are for the mentally retarded)

I enjoyed the game, after the update of 3GB +...but i regret buying the game

id2to.gif

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
played one round today. The game feels good and it's satisfying. Don't know why people hate it so much. I'll continue playing it.

subversus said:
played one round today. The game feels good and it's satisfying. Don't know why people hate it so much. I'll continue playing it.

Really rocky launch, and the game is unforgiving it doesn't hold your hand like BF3 or COD.

No kill streaks, no squad on any member spawning, no 0 recoil.

You work for every kill and it makes it that much more satisfying.

subversus

also there were plenty servers in my region with people playing even though it's pretty early. So I don't know where "community dies!" talk coming from.

subversus said:
also there were plenty servers in my region with people playing even though it's pretty early. So I don't know where "community dies!" talk coming from.
Yeah, 2600 players are online right now, that's a very healthy amount. And there will ALWAYS be someone playing this for a very long time to come, it's that kind of game. All the talk about it dying is poppycock.

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, 2600 players are online right now, that's a very healthy amount. And there will ALWAYS be someone playing this for a very long time to come, it's that kind of game. All the talk about it dying is poppycock.

Future steam sales + Free to play weekends on steam and I can easily see this number grow quite a bit.

Uriah

People you say the game is dying have no idea what they are talking about. The first RO is still alive, and this one will be around for years.

Phife Dawg said:
Looks great! Will be interesting how they balance it.

Yup especially considering the Japanese were so horribly equipped during ww2.

Semi auto M1 garands vs bolt action arikas

Also did anyone catch that booby trap or land mine .

Tokubetsu

This is the only game where I can go 2+ minutes without actually spotting an enemy and be okay with it. Don't mind me, I'm just taking my time to slowly make my way across enemy lines.

subversus

BattleMonkey said:
Hows the game now, did they get their crap together? With how things are sounding wondering if I should wait for eventual sale.

you should wait for a free weekend

gibon3z said:
Yup especially considering the Japanese were so horribly equipped during ww2.

Semi auto M1 garands vs bolt action arikas

Also did anyone catch that booby trap or land mine .
Yeah, I hope they go all out with booby traps, hidden encampments and sniper perches etc. Can't wait to banzai charge into my death either :).

Uriah said:
Out of curiosity, which is the highest level weapon you guys have? My ppsh is level 11.
Kar98k - lvl 10, 176 kill points, 120% accuracy
SVT-40 - lvl 10, 512 kill points, 234.24% accuracy

Seems... accurate?

Rufus

I have an above 100% accuracy with my MN9130 (lvl 50) as well, strange. I'm on 200/-1600 or so kill points, too. Guess the value wrapped around or something? There's got to be a better way to do that, but that can be said about all the games' menus.

I liked to play with the PPSH + drum magazine pre-stat fix as well, but mine is only at level 4 right now. I almost exclusively play rifleman, so it'll be a while until I can use it again.

Also, server related question: Did anybody else notice the 'Aryan something something' server? What is up with that?

vazel

Banned
I just played the Fallen Fighters map just now, first time I've seen that map. And no wonder I never see that map in rotation it is really shitty. Half the server emptied out and admin was forced to change map. That map forces everyone to just camp it becomes an endless stalemate, I wonder what Tripwire was thinking.

Nickiepoo

vazel said:
I just played the Fallen Fighters map just now, first time I've seen that map. And no wonder I never see that map in rotation it is really shitty. Half the server emptied out and admin was forced to change map. That map forces everyone to just camp it becomes an endless stalemate, I wonder what Tripwire was thinking.

That only happens with crappy teams that would rather permanently camp than advance.

I never get a huge number of kills on FF due to mostly capping the central points but have never lost a round due to my HQ being taken over. I have though, won several by taking over the hostile HQ and really get the impression that a lot of people just don't care to play the map 'properly'.
Pinning the other team down with a tank can also work beautifully.

I mean, I get why people hate on the map, to advance you have to expose yourself to the elements and hope you don't have your face blown off at 200 meters while crawling through the snow on your belly or hiding in a sewer. It's not an action map, it's an 'oh shit, was that bullet meant for me?' map, and I love that tension that can be lost on some of the more vicious close combat maps.

...though I've also only ever really played Russians on FF, so it might just be that it totally sucks for the German team and that's why people hate it.

Uriah said:
Out of curiosity, which is the highest level weapon you guys have? My ppsh is level 11.

My SVT is level 29, so I get to gaffer-tape a knife to the end of it.

Nickiepoo said:
That only happens with crappy teams that would rather permanently camp than advance.

I never get a huge number of kills on FF due to mostly capping the central points but have never lost a round due to my HQ being taken over. I have though, won several by taking over the hostile HQ and really get the impression that a lot of people just don't care to play the map 'properly'.
Pinning the other team down with a tank can also work beautifully.

I mean, I get why people hate on the map, to advance you have to expose yourself to the elements and hope you don't have your face blown off at 200 meters while crawling through the snow on your belly or hiding in a sewer. It's not an action map, it's an 'oh shit, was that bullet meant for me?' map, and I love that tension that can be lost on some of the more vicious close combat maps.

...though I've also only ever really played Russians on FF, so it might just be that it totally sucks for the German team and that's why people hate it.

My SVT is level 29, so I get to gaffer-tape a knife to the end of it.
Even if played properly it sucks imo. The Russians have much better overlook over the central area and can just pick you from afar. At the same time a German tank sitting between the German spawn building and the adjacent one on the Russian right flank can effectively shut it down. Resulting in boring stalemates and the occasional fight on the Russian left flank.

edit:
My MP40 is level 18 I think.

Relax.MX

Danne-Danger said:
... if you are in Mexico. I figure that's pretty good overall?

http://www.abload.de/img/abloadsun7.png

Maybe is another bug for the game, is not a strange thing(I think it's normal right now, is not a surprise new bugs, every day). Most of those servers I see them empty right now,

Note: Im from Mexico, but i live in Tijuana(on the border with california) i dont have problems with other game..just with this...

Someone had this problem?:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/relaxmx/screenshot/559796680954174986

Sober

Uriah said:
I had to download a patch today. Anyone know what it was? Patch notes aren't showing up in Steam's news feed.
Join the official community group; they always send out patch note updates right before they patch the game.

Uriah said:
I had to download a patch today. Anyone know what it was? Patch notes aren't showing up in Steam's news feed.
This is what I can find:
Clan/Competitive Match Support Functionality Part 1

This update includes the first batch of additional functionality and bugs fixes to support playing and broadcasting competitive matches. Additionally the update also includes general bug fixes and additional SDK functionality.

Spectating Additions and Fixes

-Added functionality so that players that join as "Spectators Only" (i.e. a spectator that joined a server by right clicking a server in the browser and selecting "join as Spectator") can have access to unrestricted views. This functionality is particularly useful for streaming/casting RO2 competitive matches so the spectator showing the match has the flexibility to use all of the views. This can be disabled by setting bLockTrueSpectatorsView=true in ROGame.ini if you want to limit true spectators to the same view as players that are actually playing.
-Set it up so that "Spectators Only" can cycle through viewing players on both teams. This is also particularly useful for streaming/casting RO2 competitor matches.
-Set it up so that "Spectators Only" will be able to see the player names over the heads of players from both teams. This is also particularly useful for streaming/casting RO2 competitor matches.
-Fixed a bug where when trying to switch the spectating view mode it would also switch the player being viewed
-Fixed an issue with specating where you could go into locked third person view even when the specating was restricted to first person only. Should also fix getting first person spectating views in vehicles

Clan Match

-Added a new setting for use when the "Ready Up" system is enabled (for instance ready up is enabled by default for countdown) - bAllPlayersMustReadyUp which can be set in ROGame.ini. If true, all players must ready up to start a match (or the PreStartDuration counts down - note if PreStartDuration is 0 the match will never start till all players ready up with this set true). Useful for clan matches so that the match will not start until all players have readied up (set PreStartDuration=0 and bAllPlayersMustReadyUp = true in ROGame.ini to do this).

Server Configuration - Custom Game Mode

Note: The below settings are Custom mode only, and servers will not run in Ranked mode with them enabled (since the settings essentially override the ranking system).
-Added the ability to limit character class ranking. Using this setting server admins running the Custom game mode setting can limit the maximum ranking levels which will limit class ability upgrades and weapon type unlocks (such as the MkB42, AVT40, Semi Auto Sniper Rifles, etc). Setting MaxClassRank in ROGame.ini or in the webadmin to any value greater than zero will limit the class ranks to the specified level. Valid override values are 1-5 (1 limiting to Raw Recruit, 5 limiting to Hero).

-Added the ability to limit weapon specific ranking. Using this setting server admins running the Custom game mode setting can limit the maximum weapon ranking levels which will limit weapon ability upgrades and weapon functionality unlocks (such as different scopes, bigger magazines, etc). Setting MaxWeaponProficiencyLevel in ROGame.ini or in the webadmin to any value greater than zero will limit the weapon proficiency upgrades to the specificed level. Valid override values are 1-51 (1 limiting to no weapon upgrading, 26 will limit the game to the first tier upgrades (PPSH drum mag, etc) but not allow further major upgrades).

Example uses:

Clan Match - to make certain all players are exactly even with no upgrades set MaxClassRank=1 and MaxWeaponProficiencyLevel=1 in ROGame.ini (or through webadmin).

Restrict To Basic Weapons and Upgrades - set MaxClassRank=2 and MaxWeaponProficiencyLevel=26 in ROGame.ini (or through webadmin) and players will be able to play with basic weapons and basic upgrades that have have earned on a Ranked server (like the PPSH drum mag), but not be able to play with upper level weapons (like the MkB and AVT).

General Fixes
-Fixed not being able to type in foreign languages

SDK Functionality/Fixes

-Disabled the steam game overlay for the editor. This was causing the editor to crash when launching through steam.
-Fixed a crash compiling .uc files.

To create a mutator or gametype mod use the UE3 process (same as UDK, UT3)
1) Find RO2 in My Documents and place your .uc files in My Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Src\MyModName\Classes.
2) Add ModPackages=MyModName to [ModPackages] in ROEditor.ini
3) Run the game with ?Game=MyModName.MyGameType -useunpublished
4) Publishing support is coming soon (note Mutators can be run offline, but aren't supported for servers yet)

subversus

My friend came to my place today and he played this game for the first time. He loves shooter (mainly COD in SP) but he is also a WWII geek and played Operation Flashpoint back in the day.

He was better in this game than me in the first hour. It was very natural. He didn't mind camping, he actually embrace it as the only actual strategy like there is no other shooter on the market. He was looking for spots deliberately moving around the map and he found some really good ones. He flanked Vermacht on Fallen Fighters and picked out like 12 dudes from behind. It was glorious and VERY tense.

After he left I sat and played the game like it was new. I mean I was camping before that, but I felt a bit ashamed given my experience in other games. Now I'm not. This game is not a twitch shooter.

Also I like cinematographic filter, it hides UE3 flaws very good.

Top Bottom