• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Nelo Ice

Banned
cripterion said:
Guys,

I'm thinking about getting this or Battlefield 3 for my next multiplayer game. I heard it's fun but also quite buggy and that a lot of people are already hacking, anyone care to comment on that?

not sure about bugs/hackers but i had alot of fun with the beta played 3 hours and enjoyed every minute of it.

though with that said think im going to wait for a bigger sale since cheapest ive seen it is $24 off getgamesgo, think i'll wait for $15-$20 mark and pick it up then.

Shawsie64

Banned
More on FOV settings change

Originally Posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger
I'll reiterate and expand on what Yoshiro said. The ability to adjust the FOV between 70-90, as well as the ability to set different FOV zoom for ironsights were features that were added very late in the dev. Mostly I did it as a personal favor to Zetsumei, and I stayed late one nite and worked til almost 2 in the morning one evening to get those features added into the game (unplanned and unscheduled features). Both of the features ended up causing a lot of bugs. We spent a LOT of time trying to fix the bugs (too much time to be honest) and decided to pull official support for these last minute features.

The game was developed for 5 years with a default FOV of 70 (on a 4:3 monitor, which is actually 80+ FOV on a widescreen monitor, which is pretty close to the FOV of Ostfront). After testing with 90 we discovered it caused a lot MORE clipping issues (yes there are a few remaining clipping issues at 70 degrees, but they are FAR worse at 90). They were bad enough we felt we couldn't officially support them for shipping, and there wasn't time to fix bugs in an unplanned feature. The ability to set an FOV up to 90 will likely return post release after we fix the clipping issues with it. It will also include an "are you sure you want to do this, you may get bad performance" warning when you set your FOV that high.

Regarding the weapon zoom settings, those don't have any exploitative benefits, but they also don't work 100%. So we took them out of the settings menu, but left the functionality in game. So those of you that still want to use them, feel free to set them up in your ini, they will still work. But because of the issues with them, we can't officially support them right now. And as this was an unplanned feature, we didn't have time to fix ALL of the bugs with them. Essentially, if your monitor is set to certain resolutions (5:4 for example) it could still cause your aim to get off. Now those of you that are willing to take the risk, feel free to edit the inis. In the future we'll likely fix the remaining bugs with the system, and add the settings back to the menu.

In summary, these were last minute features that I BUSTED MY REAR to try and get it. They just didn't quite make the cut for tommorow, but will be back in the future.

Grayman

i strongly prefer the look of the wider fov but can respect the explanation. Putting in the extra effort is great but to me 90 or higher should have been the default to start.

Sethos

Banned
MJLord said:
Sorry to anyone who asked this before, Will I have to re-download tonight or will my BETA just update ?

You will have to re-download, it's a separate entry on steam.

Although, I'm not sure if you could use the Beta files on the retail version, verify integrity and download the rest.

MJLord

Sethos said:

Although, I'm not sure if you could use the Beta files on the retail version, verify integrity and download the rest.

Dang I was hoping to get into playing at some point tonight :/

Sethos said:

Oh mother fuck I'll be pissed if I have to redownload the whole thing.

The problem with friendly fire in this game is that I'm an American born in the 1980's. They all look like Nazis and Communists to me. When a Russian with red text over his head and his rifle out advances on me I start to act on a pretty instinctual level.

Corto

CaptainAhab said:
The problem with friendly fire in this game is that I'm an American born in the 1980's. They all look like Nazis and Communists to me. When a Russian with red text over his head and his rifle out advances on me I start to act on a pretty instinctual level.

Lucky me that I am a Soviet born in the 1920s. ;)

Sethos

Banned
That's what I'm not looking forward to however, we're basically back to square 1 when it comes to teamkilling - Lots of new sheep are let into the pen and they all have to go through that phase. Already getting angry inside at the thought of it - Fuck me I hope either Tripwire or someone from the community does a proper video on how to distinguish the two, then you can always refer the planks to that. Towards the end of the Beta, I was getting killed more by my teammates than the enemy.

It's hilarious how jumpy some people are, they have no self-control or logical thought process. It's just "OMGOMGOMGOMG MOVEMENT, SHOOT!"

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is there a comprehensive tutorial vid that shows the mechanics and concepts of the game?

Sethos

Banned
Corky said:
Is there a comprehensive tutorial vid that shows the mechanics and concepts of the game?

Yeah, throughout the campaign there's basically a tutorial at the start of each campaign segment to teach you something appropriate for the next part of the campaign, shooting, tank training, commander etc.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sethos said:
Yeah, throughout the campaign there's basically a tutorial at the start of each campaign segment to teach you a new 'skill', shooting, tank training, commander etc.

Oh ok, I was more thinking a fanmade one, I'm itching to get into the multiplayer and it would be nice to not spend several hours in the campaign :(

Sethos

Banned
Corky said:
Oh ok, I was more thinking a fanmade one, I'm itching to get into the multiplayer and it would be nice to not spend several hours in the campaign :(

Oh sorry, didn't see the vid party - My bad.

There's not much to learn, except spotting the difference a Russian and a German, rest should come naturally.

Boogdud

Qwomo said:
By the way, you guys should play on the Kentucky Fried Gulasch server. Goon servers are the best!

I had no idea this was a Goon server, I've been playing on it since the beta started (Glassjaw) and it has been a great server indeed. I get a great ping on it as well.

iam220

So I pre-ordered this a while back, and I'm in between computer upgrades at the moment. What should i expect from:

E7300@ 3GHZ
ATI 4850
4GB RAM
Win7

Will medium settings @1080 be possible?

Sethos

Banned
iam220 said:
So I pre-ordered this a while back, and I'm in between computer upgrades at the moment. What should i expect from:

E7300@ 3GHZ
ATI 4850
4GB RAM
Win7

Will medium settings @1080 be possible?

Don't get your hopes up, the game still has some issues with AMD cards. A lot of people reported huge performance boosts after they tweaked the FOV which resulted in much less screen space being rendered but other people, mainly AMD users are still reporting abnormally low FPS.

In any case, even if the performance was completely up to snuff I'm not sure an aging machine like that could handle it.

Phandy

Sethos said:
Don't get your hopes up, the game still has some issues with AMD cards. A lot of people reported huge performance boosts after they tweaked the FOV which resulted in much less screen space being rendered but other people, mainly AMD users are still reporting abnormally low FPS.

In any case, even if the performance was completely up to snuff I'm not sure an aging machine like that could handle it.

Yeah I'm seeing most people who are not getting good fps/optimization are mostly AMD users.
I cant seem to get anything more than 30/40. No matter the settings. Its always worse on bigger servers; the 50+ players ones. I'm running:

Radeon 6870 1GB
Intel Q8300 quadcore at 2.5ghz
4gb RAM
Edit - I run at 1680x1050 btw

Seems insane that I cant get anything to run 50+ fps on this.

Shawsie64 said:
More on FOV settings change
OK, sounds reasonable enough for me. Pre-load is ready, waiting for the unlock and I'm ready to go.

Something that would be cool for the OP would be some community servers, so that we have a few places to hang out on (EU, US, AUS) and the possibility of encountering fellow GAFers is high.

I talked a bunch of shit about how broken it was when the beta started, but it really has gotten a lot better. I've gone from medium settings to high, it isn't crashing anymore, a lot of little bugs i was running into are gone. punkbuster sucks. The maps are amazing.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So instead of unlocking now, it's been moved back 3 hours, according to the store anyway.

Yoshiro from Tripwire:

[TW]Yoshiro: As this appears to be the number 1 question
[TW]Yoshiro: DO NOT EVER TRUST THE STEAM COUNT DOWN TIMER FOR A NON VALVE GAME
[TW]Yoshiro: it just ends in sadness

From the STEAM Forums

Sethos

Banned
Uriah said:
I'm sad this thread is only 3 pages long.

To be fair, it was put up yesterday.

I however don't expect to see a full blowout - It's a shame that games like these will fly mostly under the radar. Especially with such quality and community caring developers like Tripwire. Guys like these deserves so much more recognition.

Dakota47

Uriah said:

Yeah it is beyond me why Gaf isn't all over this game. It is pure and uncut PC gaming goodness. It's made by a dedicated independent team. And it is a mid-price game. What's not to like?

Uriah said:

If there is one thing I learned is that Tripwire has built a substantial following that isn't as vocal. During the Portal 2 pre-launch event, Killing Floor was the biggest game, if I recall correctly, by the number of people who owned it. My prediction is that the game will pass 20k concurrent users by the weekend and that is an extremely conservative estimate.

Top Bottom