• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Shawsie64

Banned
Patch

RO2 Beta Map Changelog - September 12th
So a lot of you are probably wondering what has happened to all the maps that have been in the beta so far and what's been done to them.

We haven't been updating the maps in the beta but just swapping them out for new ones to test - with the exception of Gumrak. We'll, here's the list of major changes to the maps no longer in the beta.

Apartments
Move Allied spawn protection to be flush with the first set of objectives so the Germans can no longer get into the ravine and exit camp.
Allied forward spawn is moved closer to the cover so it cannot be seen from the 3 story windows across from it
Updated spawn protection warning times
Increased spawn on squad leader radius
Fixed Propaganda House objective overhead image for 16 players
Fixed various covernode issues
Barracks
Fixed recon plan not being able to be recalled multiple times
Reduced spawn protection times and fixed damage types
Fixed an issue where three spawns would show up for Germans
Lowered reinforcements for both teams (64 player version)
Spawn protection will no longer effect people who were attacking and objective and the objective is no longer active
Optimizations
Fallen Fighters
Reduced spawn protection times
Add volumes to prevent tanks from getting stuck in some locations
Fixed a few locations where players would get stuck
When defending either the Univermag or the Technical School, there is no only one spawn to choose from
Reduced amount of artillery available to both teams
Grain Elevator
Moved Conveyor Tower objective towards Germans
Allied reinforcements properly get reset from 0 on round restart
Added fixed MGs for the germans that are pointed at the Grain Elevator
Artillery that hits the Grain Elevator building new properly suppresses players that are near the explosion
Germans now correctly get two spawn locations to choose from when attacking the Conveyor Tower
Decreased respawn time for Germans
Increased German reinforcement amount for 64 players
Decreased Allied reinforcement amount for 64 players
Fixed Allied spawn moving forward when the Allies recaptured the Conveyor Tower
Fixed map boundary excluding an unintended area in Fire Fight
Fixed lockdown time for 2nd floor being the incorrect time
Default Allied spawn for defending Elevator Foothold is swapped to the more protected spawn
Gumrak
Moved German spawns away from the initial objectives
Increased resupply times to 2 minutes
Destructible trees are easier to knock over
Red October Factory
Fixed Allied tanks not being able to spawn properly
Fixed tank spawns that weren't working
Increased Allies reinforcements for 64 players
Fixed a window in the welding shed that when destroyed could not be passed through
Increased objective volume for the 1st objective to be easy to capture
Destructible trees are easier to knock over
Fixed recon plan not being able to be recalled multiple times
Fixed a few locations were players could get stuck
These changes below are now in the current beta!

Station
Increased 32/64 player round time to 20 minutes
Changed map boundaries in Fire Fight to include the platform bridge
Fixed not being able to spawn in the North Hall
Spartanovka
Changed some spawns to prevent spawn camping
Remove Maxim from the pulpit in the Church
Changed maximum artillery type from Mortars to Medium Artillery
Fixed some playerstarts being out in the open
Fixed CD reinforcement spawn being too far away from the objective
Fixed a bug where more than 2 spawns could be selected when the Allies would recapture an objective
Commissar's House
Fixed Allied tanks spawning on top of each other
Changed lockdown times for objectives
Adjusted some player spawns to prevent spawn camping
Fixed Axis machine gunner having the wrong weapon
Pavlov's House
Removed German tank spawn closest to the park
Changed Allied tank spawn to be easier to get of the spawn
Fixed Allied tanks getting stuck in spawn
Fixed trees not being able to be knocked over by tanks properly
Added destructible hedge hogs between Zab's and Pavlov's House to prevent Axis tanks from immediently running up between those objectives
Maximum artillery type is now Rockets for both teams
Fixed a player spawn being under the terrain
Changed minimum capture times back to default (15 seconds)
Fixed an exploit in the 4th floor of Pavlov's House
Fixed Allied tanks not being able to spawn because of collision
Fixed a few spots where players could get stuck
Optimizations

I'll update this list as we update the current maps in the beta. One issue we're currently addressing is the performance on Pavlov's House.

Qwomo

Once this releases I imagine it'll turn out to be one of my games of the year. It's really quite wonderful in a lot of ways. I don't see myself needing another multiplayer FPS for a long, long time.

Nelo Ice

Banned
beta was really fun and im tempted at $24 from getgamesgo but think i'll wait for a bigger sale and until they iron out all the bugs.

6141944411_1b064d13c3_b.jpg

Nothing like the sight of encrypted bits on my hd to cheer me up.

Corto

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| Of server is too busy to start your pre-load.Try again in a few hours.

Missed out playing the beta because of of all this other shit I had to do, but I'm fully ready for the main event. Do we/will we have a GAF RO steam group?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Qwomo said:
Once this releases I imagine it'll turn out to be one of my games of the year. It's really quite wonderful in a lot of ways. I don't see myself needing another multiplayer FPS for a long, long time.
Will be in the same boat I think. I don't think I will ever get sick of being a German MG, whether it is covering my riflemen in the hopes that I don't get hit or gunning down Ruskis in an enclosed corridor on the run.

But the biggest thing for me is the mods. I harken back to some of the great multiplayer shooters that I loved and they all had impressionable mods: BF1942 with Desert Combat, BF2 with Project Reality, even TF2 with Saxton Hale (best mod I've ever played when drunk) and PropHunt.

RO2 is not even out yet and there are some mods on the horizon which seem to have a ton of support so far.

Fist to Fight - Invasion of Poland in 1939.
Iron Europe: 1914-1916 - World War I.

And the behemoths:

Rising Storm - Pacific Theatre of World War II.
In Country: Vietnam - Take a guess.

Hype hype hype.

Smash88

Banned
It's a shame, I truly loved RO1, but this is just a mess. At this price for what is essentially an early beta is not worth it. This game is a 6/10 tops, in its current state.

I got my refund, maybe one day when they fix it for $5-10.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
people have reported some crazy performance jumps with the latest beta patch.

anyone who's rig was particularly struggling care to report in?

taoofjord

Smash88 said:
It's a shame, I truly loved RO1, but this is just a mess. At this price for what is essentially an early beta is not worth it. This game is a 6/10 tops, in its current state.

I got my refund, maybe one day when they fix it for $5-10.

I'm curious what your problems with it are. I didn't play RO1 but I adore this. It's a little rough around the edges in a few places but it's entirely playable and will be getting fantastic post launch support. I honestly don't think it's close to rough enough for people to skip it or wait for patches.

Boogdud

ghst said:

Yes. Likely because they forced the FOV to 75. That's right.

Smash88

Banned
taoofjord said:
I'm curious what your problems with it are. I didn't play RO1 but I adore this. It's a little rough around the edges in a few places but it's entirely playable and will be getting fantastic post launch support. I honestly don't think it's close to rough enough for people to skip it or wait for patches.

After reading all the problems, plus my experience of 25-30fps maxed out and 50fps all on low. Numerous bugs glitches, hacks, the cover system not working properly. The game using an outdated engine yet it has the requirements of a Crysis 3 or some crap. Driver glitches (video card wise).

Don't get me wrong it, I'm sure it will eventually get all fixed, but by then I can get on the winter or summer sale for 50%+ off. At this price even with the 20% off for RO1 owners it just isn't worth the price. It's like me paying to alpha/beta test their game for them. It's no wonder they delayed the beta in the first place.

I own The Ball, RO1, Killing Floor and have loved all of the releases Tripwire has done, especially since they are modders and understand the community more than a big game publisher such as Activision. But this game release is atrocious coming from their part. They now have to prove to me that they will actually fix this mess and still remain a solid company, because of this, I lost a lot of respect for them and expected more than what seems like a console port.

EDIT: And now they restrict the FOV to 75 max....? LOL what a joke. I rest my case.

Deadbeat

Banned
Boogdud said:
Yes. Likely because they forced the FOV to 75. That's right.
So instead of fixing their game they are just starting to turn stuff off and lock the game down to get it to work better.

Boogdud

Pretty much, folks were NOT happy on the server I was on.

Also, I got a bunch of achievements tonight.. in the beta? Strange.

markot

Banned
Wtffffff, FOV goes from 70 - 75..... thats it >_>

This game needs another few months in the over Tripwire >_<

Darkkn

Really enjoying the beta, but graphics wise it's bit of a mess. I get stable 30fps on ultra(shadows high), but pop-in(textures, shaders, visible lod changes...) is some of the worst i've seen in ages. Like playing 360 game 3 years ago...

Also grenade throwing is awful, they don't ever go to where you want and throwing distance is pathetic. Also frames on windows are invisible walls when it comes to grenades. I haven't been able to throw grenade inside house if windows are not completely clear. :/

Tokubetsu

Had the worst fucking luck in RO1 when it came to grenades. Couldn't throw a nade without getting at least one teamkill.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Ouch @ FOV change. I liked my crazy wide 90 FOV. I'll hold off playing it until the full thing launches tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some games going with some of you.

Also, nice work on the OP.

We must be playing a totally different game, besides from some performance anomalies, this game is my favorite shooter since.... COD4. So fun to kill people and now I have skill, muahahaha.

Speaking of which, if you have never played RO before, prepare to get shot the hell up tomorrow. :)

Qwomo

By the way, you guys should play on the Kentucky Fried Gulasch server. Goon servers are the best!

Rikyfree

Man I want to play this on my pc, but only in high fps. DAMN YOU SHODDY HARDWARE!!!!

I wish they ported this to consoles so more people could have the opportunity to play this. Don't kill me, please pc elitists.

Grayman

ghst said:

I formatted my PC yesterday and haven't played the beta after the patch but the narrower FOV made a huge difference for me last week. I went from unhappy with the game on lowest to playing on high with not perfect but better performance.

It had to coincide with the latest beta release, which happened tonight as well. Trying their hardest to stay on schedule while simultaneously working their asses off to polish the game I guess. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Keep it until tomorrow.

Shawsie64

Banned
On FOV

Yoshiro
In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake

The FoV cap change was implemented mostly due to performance issues. There are other aspects of it that need work as well.

The weapon specific fov changes were removed due to a bug that would cause players not to hit what they were shooting at.

Both of these were last minute additions to the game that did not work out properly. So they have been rolled back out for additional work/changes as needed.

DTKT

Shawsie64 said:

I'm a bit confused.

Does he mean that the FOV cap has been rolled back or that they couldn't optimize the maps enough so they temporarily limited the FOV cap.

?

demolitio

Oh, I forgot to add the Steam group to the post so I'll do that now. Make sure you guys join so you can play with other people by using the group section of the friends list.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ro2gaf

Mod section will also come up soon once my hand stops killing me.

Weenerz said:
Demo really turned me off for the game, but not because of the gameplay itself but with how buggy it was. I realize it was a beta, but charging for the beta is ridiculous.
Damn, you don't have to publicly announce that I turned you off from the game...I can be a little scary ingame at times, but I never meant to hurt anyone except for the fascists. I hope you can forgive me and give the game another chance. Do it for Tripwire, not for me...

Oh wait, you're talking about the beta? Well, this sure is embarrassing... :p

Nelo Ice

Banned
if only paypal was in russia cuz the standard edition of RO2 is $18 on russian steam!

would so bite at that price but guess i'll wait for the holiday sale to pick this up.

demolitio

BigJiantRobut said:
Great OT, although "dead by your teammate" sounds weird.

Anyone else preloading? About 2GB bigger than the beta.

Yea, that was a typo as I copied the wrong part and it won't let me edit the title. Do you need a mod to edit the title or was it just not working for me?

Edit: Actually, even when I edit it, it shows the title as "You're already dead...by friendly fire" yet it won't change the title anywhere else though.

Pre-loading now, should be finished when I come home from work.

NIN90 said:
FOV appears to be limited to 75 after the patch...yuck.
Or was that tha max FOV all along? I remember setting it to 90 back when the beta started.
WHAT THE FUCK??!!!

Hopefully that's just a temporary thing (that message on FOV is kind of ambiguous).

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Ouch @ FOV change. I liked my crazy wide 90 FOV. I'll hold off playing it until the full thing launches tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some games going with some of you.

Also, nice work on the OP.
90 is crazy wide? I sported a 105 FOV with the RL in Q3A :).

Rikyfree said:
Man I want to play this on my pc, but only in high fps. DAMN YOU SHODDY HARDWARE!!!!

I wish they ported this to consoles so more people could have the opportunity to play this. Don't kill me, please pc elitists.
Ugh, this game would not attract a lot of people on the consoles, too complex, too unforgiving, too hardcore. The best thing about RO1 was its dedicated fanbase, which didn't drop the game for the next flavour of the month.

NIN90 said:
Shadows are set to "Low"
Apparently they fixed that (never set my shadows to low so I can't tell from my own experience).

cripterion

Guys,

I'm thinking about getting this or Battlefield 3 for my next multiplayer game. I heard it's fun but also quite buggy and that a lot of people are already hacking, anyone care to comment on that?

Qwomo

cripterion said:
Guys,

I'm thinking about getting this or Battlefield 3 for my next multiplayer game. I heard it's fun but also quite buggy and that a lot of people are already hacking, anyone care to comment on that?
I've seen the youtube videos of the aimbotting, yeah, but I've played a ton of this game and never once seen a hacker of any kind.

Most of the bugs, I imagine, will be gone soon after release There's nothing really gamebreaking, it's just little stuff. A lot of little stuff.

As of right now, I would recommend this game instead of BF3. They're on equal footing, IMO, and it just boils down to personal preferences.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
cripterion said:
Guys,

I say wait for a free weekend that they'll set up as soon as bugs are fixed. It's not the game for everyone but I'm really tempted to bite since it's cheap. Although bugs... I had too much of negative experience due to bugs, lag and so on in multiplayer to jump in blindly.

cripterion

Ok thanks guys, maybe I'll hold on purchasing this for the moment. Will monitor this thread to see how things are going.

Top Bottom