• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

markot

Banned
Relax.MX said:
Ok...i guess...today: thursday, october 6 of 2011 is the real release of the game...before was just a beta....
Too bad theyve lost so many people that wont be coming back >.<

Arucardo

Performance is great and stats seem to work as intended now, all I want now is for the depth of field bug and the occasional sound glitch fixed ;)

Really enjoying this now, performance seems to be much better. Not that it really matters when you're sniping the entire German team with the beastly SVT-40. <3

Seeing a fully exposed enemy in this game feels like christmas every time.

Arucardo

I almost feel bad playing this because it makes every other shooter seem a lot less rewarding . I'm starting to get pretty used to the Kar98 now, quite a few times now I've managed to one shot kill a running russian at 120m-160m (and no they weren't running straight towards me, heh).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So how much better is the game now than at release? Do you guys recommend one still waits for a few more bugs to be ironed out before picking this up, or is it as good as it's going to be performance/bug wise for a while? I really want to get into it, but I've waited this long, so I might as well wait until everything's been fixed.

Card Boy

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
So how much better is the game now than at release? Do you guys recommend one still waits for a few more bugs to be ironed out before picking this up, or is it as good as it's going to be performance/bug wise for a while? I really want to get into it, but I've waited this long, so I might as well wait until everything's been fixed.
Much better, the only bugs are optimization issues, random lag an the sound rarely cutting out when you change map. Trust me its like 10 times now than it wasat release.

Sober

MrOogieBoogie said:
Very few gamebreakers or really bad glitches (apart from the sound glitch, only got 1 in the 30 hours I've been playing). Mostly performance/optimization they need to work on, but that's probably because the maps are more complex than most shooters (large apartment/building complexes all with separate rooms and windows rather than leaving most of them 'bombed out'). I pretty much play this game at 20-40fps and it's fine since alot of the time it's not really all twitchy of a shooter.

Wish this game had an infantry only mode.

I absolutely hate the tanks in the game hate the ai gunner on the german tank and hate the commanders ability to call in artillery.

Why didn't they go with a man portable mortar like the RO1 mod darkest hour.

Other then those 2 things this game is perfect. Nothing comes close to the feeling you get when you snipe a sprinting soldier with a sniper rifle at 300 meters on palovs.

demolitio

gibon3z said:
Wish this game had an infantry only mode.

I absolutely hate the tanks in the game hate the ai gunner on the german tank and hate the commanders ability to call in artillery.

Why didn't they go with a man portable mortar like the RO1 mod darkest hour.

Other then those 2 things this game is perfect. Nothing comes close to the feeling you get when you snipe a sprinting soldier with a sniper rifle at 300 meters on palovs.
Plenty of servers have infantry only and TWI actually has a few official ones that say infantry only in the name, so just be on the lookout since they do exist.

MrOogieBoogie said:
If you've been able to play online PC games before you shouldn't have any issues playing RO2 in its current state. :p

Uriah

I hate Fallen Fighters so goddamn much. No cover at all and it encourages camping. They need to add a sewer system in the map so infantry can move with cover, like in Leningrad (I think), the map in RO1.

Max

I am not Max
MrOogieBoogie said:
Get it now. Friends that have had performance issues can now run it fine. Stats are fixed.

The game is completely playable now, although if you're still on the fence just wait for that free weekend everyone keeps mentioning

Nelo Ice

Banned
Max said:
Get it now. Friends that have had performance issues can now run it fine. Stats are fixed.

The game is completely playable now, although if you're still on the fence just wait for that free weekend everyone keeps mentioning

also games still $24 on getgamesgo though not sure if theyre still giving out deluxe edition keys.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone else getting slight freezes at every trigger "event" like on every capture etc? Not very important but would like those gone. It happens occasionally at random too, but mainly during such instances. Still hoping they'll add retro sniper rifles back in, game's running at like 40 fps for me most of the time and the scope view halves it depending on the spot... I'd not have issues sacrificing the extra view to keep my performance more stable and actually get my shots right... But yeah game is slowly getting there. Still hoping they'll make certain things feel better... Like melee, it's dodgy now. Also going through other people instead, why did they do that change? In RO1 you can't do that, characters can actually physically block your path, as long as they're alive, here you're into other players and clip through the models a lot of the time when rushing and such it seems, which makes it all look even more unpolished... The physics also get messed up sometimes, bodies flying high after getting shot, rarely. There's really not much you can point your finger at and say "this is broken" now but the game still screams "indie" and "unpolished" all the same, would be nice if they keep polishing. I re-downloaded the original recently and while it's certainly outdated, somehow the basic infantry controls and movement and feel was better, imo.

Absolutely fantastic game! I have had zero issues so far (didn't try the game pre-patch).

Could someone explain the Territory mode though? How does the scoring work? I get that it's about taking zones but what determines the winner and when? How does reinforcements affect the game and what is the lock-down timer that sometimes get activated?

Sober

pappakenoo said:
Absolutely fantastic game! I have had zero issues so far (didn't try the game pre-patch).

Could someone explain the Territory mode though? How does the scoring work? I get that it's about taking zones but what determines the winner and when? How does reinforcements affect the game and what is the lock-down timer that sometimes get activated?
Territory scores based on you being in the zone when it changes hands (points for attacking or defending - when it changes hands regardless) and for joining into the dog pile (extra points per person in the zone when it switches sides). Basically, one team attacks and the other defends but the defense can occasionally counterattack and recapture some points (until they lose enough and it moves on - the flow to what is a valid point and what isn't feels more natural in this case)

Reinforcements work like tickets in BF, except you don't lose until the timer hits 0 or the attacking team caps it all or a team is wiped out and can't refinroce.

Also, the lockdown timer is the dumbest thing but it exists in a sense to prevent long-winded stalemates where teams just out-camp one another until the round timer finishes (usually 20 or so minutes). Good in theory, but sometimes it kicks in too early with too short a duration is quite strict on how it gets renewed. (Like when each team still has 150 or so reinforcements but the countdown decides you have 120 seconds to cap or lose).

Sober said:
Basically, one team attacks and the other defends

Oh, i was not aware of this. So Attacking team wins if they manage to capture all points and defending team wins of they manage to have a point left when time runs out? Simple as that?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Max said:

When is the free weekend?

Llyranor

gibon3z said:
Nothing comes close to the feeling you get when you snipe a sprinting soldier with a sniper rifle at 300 meters on palovs.
Doing it with no scope :D

Uriah said:
I hate Fallen Fighters so goddamn much. No cover at all and it encourages camping. They need to add a sewer system in the map so infantry can move with cover, like in Leningrad (I think), the map in RO1.
There's plenty of cover. Use the flanks rather than running head-first into the objectives (which you can cap from the sides, anyway). The northwest and middle sections have tunnels that allow you to mobilize fairly quickly, and there's a sandbag network to the southeast where you can mostly avoid long range fire if you keep your head down.

It's a long-range map in general, yes, but as an SMG there are ample options for you to sneak into close-range (yes, even into the enemy HQ - I do this semi-regularly when I play the map) and rake up kills as the enemy doesn't even notice its flank being overrun.

Danne-Danger said:
"Killed from location" does not belong in this game.
A lot of the servers I've played in recently don't have it anymore.

animlboogy said:
Anybody have some good beginner tips?
Most important tip I can give is: don't keep your head out in the open for more than a few seconds at a time. Even if you think those extra few seconds will help you get a better aim or spot to get an extra kill, chances are (sooner or later) you'll just get an extra bullet in the head. Keep your head down and move behind cover. If you're going to run in the open, make sure it's a position where the enemy is less likely to be watching, or make it as short as possible.

Sober said:
Also, the lockdown timer is the dumbest thing but it exists in a sense to prevent long-winded stalemates where teams just out-camp one another until the round timer finishes (usually 20 or so minutes). Good in theory, but sometimes it kicks in too early with too short a duration is quite strict on how it gets renewed. (Like when each team still has 150 or so reinforcements but the countdown decides you have 120 seconds to cap or lose).
I really like how it works against just camping. It's true that they could be more generous with the time in some instances, though. Needs some finetuning, I guess.

Llyranor said:
A lot of the servers I've played in recently don't have it anymore.
A lot that I've played on recently have! Even one that was supposed to be "realistic", at least I think it had a skull when I clicked it. Madness! Anyway, you can usually find one that doesn't have it, yes. I just had a bad streak.

Sober

Llyranor said:
Most important tip I can give is: don't keep your head out in the open for more than a few seconds at a time. Even if you think those extra few seconds will help you get a better aim or spot to get an extra kill, chances are (sooner or later) you'll just get an extra bullet in the head. Keep your head down and move behind cover. If you're going to run in the open, make sure it's a position where the enemy is less likely to be watching, or make it as short as possible.
Pretty much this is the best tip. It's not really worth trying to out pixelhunt a pixelhunter because it comes down to chance on who shoots first, if you really did aim correctly and other factors. Best you can do is get yourself in a position that lets you kill someone without them fighting back. Headshots are also hard enough past 100m without a scope especially since the head is much smaller vs centre of mass and a shot to the chest is usually just as good.

Also, understand the concept of enfilade and defilade, it sorta helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defilade

It explains why people usually jump into craters and are sometimes hard to pixel-hunt snipe out if you are trying to retaliate.

After playing a few round tonight, I came to the conclusion that this game is complete garbage. I think it's a cynical attempt for TWI to grab some cash before the BF3/MW3 juggernaut rolls through.

1) Shooting at close range - it's a crapshoot. Either the hit detection picks up your shots or it doesn't.

2) 30 FPS on a 580 on low - WTF?

3) No flow to the maps - It's straight up boring. You advance forward and hope you don't encounter someone camping a corner/window.

This game is shit. If they baked it for another few months, maybe it could of been good. Right now, garbage. Avoid at all costs.

SirButterstick said:
This game is shit. If they baked it for another few months, maybe it could of been good. Right now, garbage. Avoid at all costs.
Nope. The game is great, it has unique war atmosphere and it's pretty optimized. Oh, how could it be? We've got different opinions on the subject? SHOCK! Chill, man. The game is just not your cup of tea. Most of us there pretty much enjoying the game, isn't it?

WW2 realism sim. Like a boss:

2011-09-04_00003.jpg

SirButterstick said:
How many gigs of patches have been released so far?
More then 3. Why asking? Do you need remind of 3.5gb patch for BC2 that came out just recently? 19 months since the game was released. You think this is OK? Well, I don't.

upd
1) I don't have that issue. Maybe it's because I've played quite a bit of Killing Floor, which also skips on the whole crosshair thing. Going assault, I get a lot of hip fire shits in.
SirButterstick is right with this one, actually. RO2 really weird when it comes to close combat. Just yesterday I have ragequited the game because of 4 dry CQC shots from Gewehr.

animlboogy said:
3) This is a beginner issue. Every time I play a map I feel myself getting smarter about it. There just certain places that certain classes don't go at all. And you really have to observe your surroundings. I will note that part of enjoying this game is finding fun in this very aspect of the game. I enjoy the idea of finding the best, safest path to an objective point. Many shooters don't promote that kind of thinking, though; they leave all of the joy to getting kills. This game is about more than that, and the maps aren't perfect (even with 64 players, many of them are too big, at least from my inexperienced perspective), but they're enthralling compared to many I've played in other games. They tend to be more open, and they don't shove dozens of players into a couple known chokepoints. I see that as a good thing. If you prefer that kind of gameplay, then you're not going to find what you like here.

This is still a flawed game, I just happen to think that with the current patch, I get a lot more out of it than almost any other modern shooter.

This is where I'm going to disagree with you. I think this game promotes everybody playing defensively than it does careful movement. That's fine in itself, but coupled with shitty controls, bad maps, and bad hit detection, it's not very fun. There's a fine balance . . . ARMA did it right when it come to realism and feeling lime you have good control over your character. In this you feel like you're on ice skates. I usually place towards the top half of my team, but there's no joy in it.

Also, wasn't the latest patch itself over 3 gigs? The other poster talks about BC2, but this games been out for only about 1 month at this point. Doesn't bode well for the future.

Oh no, devs supporting their game this much in an early stage is usually a bad sign for the long term. They might keep pushing out patches! I mean, think about it, how horrible would that be?

ARMA is excellent, both co-op and competitive. It's a little "heavier" than RO, but for me, I felt like I was always in control of my actions.

To be honest, this and Homefront have been my two biggest disappointments this year. I wanted to love them, but they were both "overpromising."

Danne-Danger said:
Oh no, devs supporting their game this much in an early stage is usually a bad sign for the long term. They might keep pushing out patches! I mean, think about it, how horrible would that be?

Tripwire got their money for this shitty beta, so good on them. You and the 284 people still playing in a month have fun.

You don't think this is bad for them? I'd buy KF2, but probably nothing else from them. This game is already uninstalled, so I don't plan on buying any DLC or what not, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same.

SirButterstick said:
Tripwire got their money for this shitty beta, so good on them. You and the 284 people still playing in a month have fun.

You don't think this is bad for them? I'd buy KF2, but probably nothing else from them. This game is already uninstalled, so I don't plan on buying any DLC or what not, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same.
They'll keep fixing it up, release a free weekend here and there, the Vietnam mod further ahead, more maps (likely free), more everything, just like they did with KF. It's already in a fully functional state for me so I have little doubt that it'll keep getting better and people will keep playing.

Card Boy

Banned
Lets agree that both BF3 and this are both buggy pieces of shit in beta stage, just one of them is a released beta out in retail. Still can't believe i'm getting 30 to 55FPS on my 5870 on Ultra, the sad thing is it was worse at launch.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
For me, RO2 out-innovated the competition. I've been a massive RO fan since the early betas when it was a UT2k3 mod, and I've always found the approach to the gameplay really compelling.

There isn't another MP game out there that I can think of that is as rewarding or exciting. Yes, the number of players have dwindled, but who didn't expect them to? The game got a lot of internet hype because it was the alternative to the CoDs and BFs, and the hardcore player base praised it as much as they loved it. But the game really is an acquired taste.

There will be people playing this game for years though.

I've had a great time on all the maps. The key to them is the higher ranks doing their job. Laying down smokes and artillery is what makes the maps work. For me, squad leader is easily the most rewarding class to be.

As far as comparing it to BF3? There's no contest. BF3 feels lame in comparison. The graphics make it too hard to see, the gameplay doesn't suit the large environments, the unlock system discourages playing around with the classes way too much, and the new severity makes it feel very un-battlefield.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are most of the bugs/technical issues worked out by now? Looking to pick this up sometime soon.

Zefah said:
Are most of the bugs/technical issues worked out by now? Looking to pick this up sometime soon.

I would say so.
I rarely if ever encounter any bugs now.

Right now is a pretty good time to pick this game up too. The SDK will be releasing very soon and some modders already got their hands on it. This means brand new content will be heading to servers soon like new maps.

Nickiepoo

You know what I hate?

When allies hide in the corner of a hostile stronghold, on the roof or whatever, and face towards their own team in order to shoot advancing badguys in the backs.

I mean, what they're doing is great and all, but I hate when they complain about getting their face blasted off by their own team.

'Don't sit in a hostile area, in the dark with only your head showing, firing in the direction of your allies without warning us because I WILL take a shot at you before I advance'

Dakota47

New patch.

-Fixed a bug which would sometimes cause the first click (fire, alt fire, or ironsights) after respawning to not register.
-Player stats will now save at the end of each round in addition to the end of the match.
-Minor tweaks to the high end of the honor level ranking. While some very high level players may notice an honor level change their earned XP is unaffected by this update.
-There is now a console command for any players wishing to manually do a stats reset. The command is 'ResetStats' and must be followed by your steam nickname for confirmation (in quotes, case sensitive) . The .ini setting for resetting stats has been disabled to prevent any accidental resets.
-Fixed a problem with music in countdown where the morale state (and music) would jump around and transition too often.
-Fixed neutral objectives showing up in the compass as Allied objectives.
-Fixed getting a black screen when getting suppressed for non-English languages

IMACOMPUTA

They're patching the hell out of this game :)

I have personally always thought the game was great, but give it a year and it's going to be remarkable.
Darkest Hour mod, maps, etc.

Can't wait.

Top Bottom