• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm Invitation Beta is live (websites will give out keys)

We've just let loose with the invitation beta for Rising Storm, the upcoming next game in the Red Orchestra franchise. A bunch of people have already been sent their keys - and there will be a bunch more heading out over the next day or so, through friendly websites. If you want to watch and get ready to grab a key, check these websites:

PC Gamer
PC Games N
Gamereactor (you may have to guess which international site!)
Igromania or VG247.ru - better watch both
Mammoth/Ausgamers in Australia
Curse
A few extra will slide out through Wewana Play as well.

Keep an eye out for these - and other locations over the next couple of days. Your chance for an early hands-on with Rising Storm. BANZAI!

Please note: this is a BETA. There may still be bugs. This version is NOT linked to your existing copy of Red Orchestra 2, so you won't be able to switch between your favorite RO2 server and a Rising Storm server yet. This key is for the Beta, for preview, not the full game! When we release the full Rising Storm game (soon), the list of servers for live RO2 and live RS will merge in one server browser.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/RO2/announcements/detail/1659852667798572277

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh yes, hopefully Tripwire learned from the absolute disaster that was RO2's launch and make this big. Will be waiting for them beta keys to land.

Holy shit TWI really cleaned this game up. I bought RO2 on launch and was deeply disappointed. I could barely run the game at the lowest of settings. Then I reinstalled the game when the GOTY update dropped and still was disappointed; better but still not there.

Now with Rising Storm, the game runs amazing and the gameplay is slick and balanced.

legacyzero

Banned
Holy shit TWI really cleaned this game up. I bought RO2 on launch and was deeply disappointed. I could barely run the game at the lowest of settings. Then I reinstalled the game when the GOTY update dropped and still was disappointed; better but still not there.

Now with Rising Storm, the game runs amazing and the gameplay is slick and balanced.

Wait, how do you have it right now?

I NEEEED THIIIS

SJRB

Gold Member
I had no idea this was coming - what is it?

I haven't seen screenshots/trailers anywhere.

Jenga

Banned

so it was basically what RS2 should have been?

as rough as RS2 launch was, i'm still pretty hyped

do you need RS2 installed to run?

The Pacific Theater is just so much more colorful.

Wait, how do you have it right now?

I NEEEED THIIIS

I was quick to snag a beta key from the forum.

so it was basically what RS2 should have been?

as rough as RS2 launch was, i'm still pretty hyped

do you need RS2 installed to run?

I assume you mean RO2 and yes, RS is what RO2 should have been.

RS is standalone, so you don't need RO2 installed. RS is little over 9GB. It might be a smaller download if you have RO2 installed.

Red Orchestra 2 is the best FPS multiplayer I've ever played, I can't understand why there are a lot of cricisism. Well, release was a mess, but they fixed early a lot of bugs. From goty release, Ro2 works well as the game had to work from day 1, but this happens one year ago. :)

I hope Rising Storm may have a wider audience, american people want to play only as Usa Army.

Rom1944

Man this game has volumetric flamethrowers what more can one ask is looks totally awesome and it can make the general population of the game grow again.

But what i really whant is a darkest hour mod like in the first one that was an awesome game.

Calling it a mess is being very generous.

I played the game since the beta started 15 days before release. With some adjustement, game was playable. Of course there were frame rate issue, even heavy bugs, but I still continued to play because it was the best multiplayer you can have in that period. I think people stop to play the game not because of bugs, but mainly they thought to play Battlefield 3 during second war world.

Now the game is "perfect", they gift the game with humble bundle, but population remain solid but small. No spraying is a big issue for modern FPS player.

Hey, someone else cares about the game on GAF, cool. Looking forward to RS.

Calling it a mess is being very generous.
I was there right from the start of the beta and the game was always playable. That doesn't excuse all the issues but let's not go overboard here.

I was there right from the start of the beta and the game was always playable. That doesn't excuse all the issues but let's not go overboard here.

Let's not go overboard? If anyone else had pulled off the shit that Tripwire did, you'd be screaming bloody murder and calling it a scam. At launch the game had massive performance problems, non stop crashes for both the client and servers, sound issues and tons of bugs. Remember the constant 10gb patches after release? Remember how they had to wipe all stats because it never worked at all? Tripwire knew all this. They knew the game was broken. They knew it was unfinished. They knew the game was nowhere close to being ready for release, and yet they released it anyway. That in my mind is the most egregious aspect of the whole debacle. And yet, somehow, their "indie cred" is supposed to shelter them from criticism for doing this shit.

Let's not go overboard? If anyone else had pulled off the shit that Tripwire did, you'd be screaming bloody murder and calling it a scam. At launch the game had massive performance problems, non stop crashes for both the client and servers, sound issues and tons of bugs. Remember the constant 10gb patches after release? Remember how they had to wipe all stats because it never worked at all? Tripwire knew all this. They knew the game was broken. They knew it was unfinished. They knew the game was nowhere close to being ready for release, and yet they released it anyway. That in my mind is the most egregious aspect of the whole debacle. And yet, somehow, their "indie cred" is supposed to shelter them from criticism for doing this shit.

Your statement is partially correct. All you said is true, but let be honest, veterans of the series don't fucking care about stats or improvement. We are playing in classic mode where unlock and stats are put away. Performance was problematic, but the game was still playable, always up 35 40 frame with medium rigs.

Other problems depends on unreal engine 3, if you follow other games like Chivalry: Modern warfare, you know that there are similar issue, like server browser or uncorrect spawn weapons, etc.

Tripwire is an indie software house(twelve people at launch of the game), I think is more and more problematic that Battlefield 3 or other triple AAA had a lot of issue not really fixed.

Your statement is partially correct. All you said is true, but let be honest, veterans of the series don't fucking care about stats or improvement. We are playing in classic mode where unlock and stats are put away. Performance was problematic, but the game was still playable, always up 35 40 frame with medium rigs.

Other problems depends on unreal engine 3, if you follow other games like Chivalry: Modern warfare, you know that there are similar issue, like server browser or uncorrect spawn weapons, etc.

Tripwire is an indie software house(twelve people at launch of the game), I think is more and more problematic that Battlefield 3 or other triple AAA had a lot of issue not really fixed.

I'm a veteran player who didn't care about stats but couldn't play the game because it was an unfinished buggy mess. The launch was absolutely atrocious.

Just because other games have bugs that doesn't give Tripwire a pass to release a game in the state it was. They had a real opportunity to expand their player base with RO2 but instead rushed it out the door and killed any chance of that.

Frankly after RO2 I'm wary of anything they are involved in.

Even while posting about the stat reset thing I knew someone would hone in on it. The fact that you (or anyone else) didn't care about stats doesn't change the fact that it was yet another broken and untested game system. And performance issues were not insignificant. I believe that they had to rebuild entire maps which were actually optimized and then pushed down through patches. And the damn crashes. Even if you somehow managed to last an entire round without a client crash, the level transition would cause the server to crash.

Tripwire may be indie but they're not a bunch of guys programming out of a garage either. They're a proper indie publisher now. If they were short on funds, they could have done early pre-orders. As it stands, the sales broke all records for their company. They must have gotten tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars from pre-orders alone. Don't try and sell the line that they had to release the game in the state it was because they're indie.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So, I somehow manage to find out a few days later when the keys have run out ...

For fuck sake.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your new avatar from?

--------------

Did they patch Rising Storm so you can actually save video settings or is it still the same system of RO2 (why the hell was a 4:3 aspect ratio set as the default?) where it always switches back to the defaults no matter what you do?

Even while posting about the stat reset thing I knew someone would hone in on it. The fact that you (or anyone else) didn't care about stats doesn't change the fact that it was yet another broken and untested game system. And performance issues were not insignificant. I believe that they had to rebuild entire maps which were actually optimized and then pushed down through patches. And the damn crashes. Even if you somehow managed to last an entire round without a client crash, the level transition would cause the server to crash.

Tripwire may be indie but they're not a bunch of guys programming out of a garage either. They're a proper indie publisher now. If they were short on funds, they could have done early pre-orders. As it stands, the sales broke all records for their company. They must have gotten tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars from pre-orders alone. Don't try and sell the line that they had to release the game in the state it was because they're indie.

I didn't minimize issues from the launch, but simply is not true that the game was unplayable. I played A LOT during first days, I knew people in teamspeak with me that played 12 hours the first day.
Also I don't remember sistematic crash when server change maps or the rounds finished.

Tripwire is supporting this game with patches and free dlc, even if the sales are not high at this time.

They're doing an entirely new game with a new settings and new weapons and maps, they admit people from Ro2 without making them pay the game.

Competitors offers patch during the dlc launch with 15 bucks and 4 maps, no sdk and I can go on...

They made a lot of mistakes but in my opinion they deserve much respect of how they treat their customers.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your new avatar from?

--------------

Did they patch Rising Storm so you can actually save video settings or is it still the same system of RO2 (why the hell was a 4:3 aspect ratio set as the default?) where it always switches back to the defaults no matter what you do?

Wrath of The Lich King.

RO 2 was so broken at launch that I made a vow to never buy another tripwire game before tons of patches.

I didn't minimize issues from the launch, but simply is not true that the game was unplayable. I played A LOT during first days, I knew people in teamspeak with me that played 12 hours the first day.
Also I don't remember sistematic crash when server change maps or the rounds finished.

For some reason I seem to remember crashes during map changes but it has been 2 years so I could be wrong. Crashes were extremely frequent either way. Had a quick look at their update history and they mention fixing a problem where sound would go out during a level transition, which would have the same net effect of needing to restart the client and join the server again.

Tripwire is supporting this game with patches and free dlc, even if the sales are not high at this time.

They're doing an entirely new game with a new settings and new weapons and maps, they admit people from Ro2 without making them pay the game.

Competitors offers patch during the dlc launch with 15 bucks and 4 maps, no sdk and I can go on...

They made a lot of mistakes but in my opinion they deserve much respect of how they treat their customers.

I guess they deserve praise for not charging for maps like everyone else does but supporting the game with patches is the bare minimum that they should be doing given how they released it.

You say they deserve respect for how they treat customers now, but why do you ignore how they treated customers at launch by deliberately releasing a broken game?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this interview with Tripwire president John Gibson by PC Gamer. It's pretty good and I get the impression from that they won't be making the same mistake with Rising Storm (and future games) the way they did with Red Orchestra 2. I really like Red Orchestra 2 but there's no doubt it launched as a playable mess. Certainly a lot better now though but here's hoping Rising Storm hits it out of the park.

I have been playing a lot of RO2 lately and thankfully to the recent sales the community is actually populated now. Tripwire did a fantastic job and I can't wait for Rising Storm. The flamethrower and grenade mines are going to be a lot of fun.

For some reason I seem to remember crashes during map changes but it has been 2 years so I could be wrong. Crashes were extremely frequent either way. Had a quick look at their update history and they mention fixing a problem where sound would go out during a level transition, which would have the same net effect of needing to restart the client and join the server again.

you're correct, but crashes was random, I don't say that the game didn't crash :p

You say they deserve respect for how they treat customers now, but why do you ignore how they treated customers at launch by deliberately releasing a broken game?

Two major problem for the release: staff members and aknowledge. Red Orchestra 2 is the first game built with unreal engine 3, a totally new world for Tripwire, they made Killing Floor and Ostfront using Unreal Engine 2.
I repeat, a lot of issues depends on engine, they can't choose another because, simply, they didn't have money. If you look behind, you don't see a lot of multiplayer games built around UE3 before Red Orchestra 2. It is not a good engine to make open multiplayer maps. They lost their time finding a work around to avoid huge patch update, because it's an engine built around consoles.
They made a lot a mistakes, but environment wasn't the best as a minimum :)

Now, with Rising Storm, they have huge experience and the game is ready. Look at the performance, I made some screenshoots:
http://i1.minus.com/ibgZE4HkjpJaWY.png

great cpu and gpu use

Btw, I'm playing the game in the last two hours, I find only minor issue, they have learned the lesson on their skin :D

PS: I hope you'll buy the game ;)

Look on the bright side. A majority of these people who get a key will probably only play the game for barely an hour while actual RO2 fans can wait around till the game releases :|

Red Orchestra isn't exactly a mainstream pew-pew title, people will just try it out and go "meh".

"32 minutes played"

damn them!

spectros4

Neo Member
I got lucky as a lurker on their forums the other day when the developer was posting keys.
The beta is great so far. As for performance, it appears to run better than vanilla RO2. I'm running it on a 570 and i5 2500k maxed out with 60 frames.

markot

Banned
Give me my money back for RO2 you dastards.

RO2 wasnt just buggy at launch, and for months afterwards, it was completely broken. utterly.

And theyre not getting another dime from me till I get my money back. It wasnt a kick starter for an alpha game, it was a fully released product.

Same goes for Konami since MGS3 and its utterly awful unplayable camera.

RO2 wasnt just buggy at launch, and for months afterwards, it was completely broken. utterly.

And theyre not getting another dime from me till I get my money back. It wasnt a kick starter for an alpha game, it was a fully released product.

so much hate. I bought Battlefield 3, I think is worse than a punch in face, but I don't want my money back.

legacyzero

Banned

This post.. I... What..

sk3tch

Yeah, I just recently tried to get back into RO2...the game just does not scale well on high-end rigs. Jank performance. It's so frustrating...reminds me of the ARMA series. I don't understand why these guys can't just get with AMD and NVIDIA and figure out what's up.

Hopefully this new expansion raises the stakes so some add'l tuning will be done with the engine.

Yeah, I just recently tried to get back into RO2...the game just does not scale well on high-end rigs. Jank performance. It's so frustrating...reminds me of the ARMA series. I don't understand why these guys can't just get with AMD and NVIDIA and figure out what's up.

Hopefully this new expansion raises the stakes so some add'l tuning will be done with the engine.

The game's performance has been fine for me personally since they patched it heavily, and I don't have anything near a high-end rig.

Top Bottom