• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall – “Welcome to Redfall” Official Trailer

R6Rider

Gold Member
Deathloop. 75% user score on steam. A multiplayer game flatlining at about 400 concurrent players, with a small bump to about 500 from 60% off steam sale. This game also had very confusing marketing where it seemed like it was everywhere but still impossible to work out what it actually was or who would want it. Anyone actually thought that critic scores and game award nominations are reflected in reality? A lot of the people who love games like this are the sort of people who get games for free or know the people who make them.
Deathloop isn't even a multiplayer focused game. It has the option of doing online invasions and that's it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Deathloop isn't even a multiplayer focused game. It has the option of doing online invasions and that's it.

I think the biggest issue here is that so many folks commenting aren't even fully aware of the kind of game Redfall is.

Which is to Arkane's fault, that original CG reveal trailer painted a very different picture than what they're trying to show now. They should have led with that info immediately after the reveal.

Konnor

Game looks very generic, the gunplay and enemies look kind of weightless and boring and last but not least, the dialogue, holy shit I hate that crap so much. The same copy pasted annoying "quirky" dialogue from the usual wannabe AAA studios, I literally can't tell the difference between these annoying as fuck characters and the hundreds other generic ones from other games doing the same lame, inoffensive, bland jokes throughout the game as if this shit is entertaining or smart. They might as well make them mute, at least it would be far less annoying.

clarky

Gold Member
Well going by reviews and GOTY votes it was great, some people didn’t like it though but that’s how it is with all games. I never played it myself but looking forward to try it when Sony’s exclusivity deal ends so it pops up on Gamepass.
Its not their best but still well worth a play through.

Dont forget though obviously now they are an xbox first party studio, their best years are behind them, and they'll be making generic bleeding edge/far cry/ left4dead clones from here on out.

Game looks very generic, the gunplay and enemies look kind of weightless and boring and last but not least, the dialogue, holy shit I hate that crap so much. The same copy pasted annoying "quirky" dialogue from the usual wannabe AAA studios, I literally can't tell the difference between these annoying as fuck characters and the hundreds other generic ones from other games doing the same lame, inoffensive, bland jokes throughout the game as if this shit is entertaining or smart. They might as well make them mute, at least it would be far less annoying.
Same. So tired of everyone going for cheeky dialogue and this cartoonish-lite art style. I just got done playing Spec Ops The Line before the PS Now switch and its amazing how much better games were at serious dialogue back then.
Hell if you want to be cheeky, at least look to something that did it well like Battlefield Bad Company.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Playing through with different characters first, then try some co-op, looks like the skill trees and loudouts are pretty large so there will be plenty of different ways to approach each situation.
I think this is going to review pretty well when it arrives and shock a few people.

I'm going to play solo only since I'm an anti-social gamer :messenger_beaming: but I also think it will review well.

I didn't like this game the first time I saw it, but with each subsequent trailer the game looks more and more appealing. I now think I might actually like this game, especially with the emphasis on story and solo play in this latest trailer.

Looks great based on these shots? Even Half Life 2 looked better then these screenshots. Not going to want to bitch on this games, but everyone thought exactly the same with back 4 blood that it would be the new Lef4Dead.
HL2? You know that came out in 2004? B4B looked average at best this looks much better than that. Who's saying it's the new L4D?

Konnor

Same. So tired of everyone going for cheeky dialogue and this cartoonish-lite art style. I just got done playing Spec Ops The Line before the PS Now switch and its amazing how much better games were at serious dialogue back then.
Hell if you want to be cheeky, at least look to something that did it well like Battlefield Bad Company.

I suspect these characters are a black hole of charisma and humor because that's exactly what the writers these studios are hiring lately are too so there's nothing they can do. But the worst part is that these developers don't even have enough self-awareness to acknowledge it and at least cut back on the whole generic quirky bullshit thing they do.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
They were pushing multiplayer very hard, and one thing a lot of people said was that offline was so easy that it felt like cheating.

Where? It was always an interesting mechanic that JOANNA would be able to be controlled by another player, but it was never the focus of the game itself. It was only ever one of those "oh. . .that's an interesting gameplay mechanic" type deals.

Lognor

Banned
I'm going to play solo only since I'm an anti-social gamer :messenger_beaming: but I also think it will review well.

I didn't like this game the first time I saw it, but with each subsequent trailer the game looks more and more appealing. I now think I might actually like this game, especially with the emphasis on story and solo play in this latest trailer.
Yeah same. When it was first announced I was not interested at all, but the gameplay looks great. I'll be playing solo too. I'm sure it'll be well balanced.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Anything that has a story mode, first time I always play through Solo. Repeat play throughs with friends. I try to avoid getting in games with randos as much as humanly possible.

Wildebeest

Where? It was always an interesting mechanic that JOANNA would be able to be controlled by another player, but it was never the focus of the game itself. It was only ever one of those "oh. . .that's an interesting gameplay mechanic" type deals.
Rival assassins trapped in a Deathloop. Break the loop/Protect the loop. None of that was real, it was just in my head?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Doesn't that describe the single player game as much as it does coop?
Exactly. That's just describing the story itself.

To this day I don't really know what Deathloop is about. Guess I'm gonna find out in September.

Deathloop is about going through a loop and gradually figuring out a way to break the loop. This means finding information about targets to kill them (they hold the loop together) all in one loop.

I said loop a lot.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Doesn't that describe the single player game as much as it does coop?
It was a PvP game not co-op. But it was the sort of PvP game most people played offline because the main selling point that the developers balanced the game around was a tedious feature that few wanted.

Topher

Gold Member
It was a PvP game not co-op. But it was the sort of PvP game most people played offline because the main selling point that the developers balanced the game around was a tedious feature that few wanted.

Ok, but personally I was never under the impression that the PvP mode was billed as the primary game mode. It is primarily a single player game.

Do we know how strong are the immersive sim elements in the game?

I wouldn't describe anything I've seen so far as a "sim element".

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I think so. They basically can't acknowledge that the game will at any point exist on Xbox. Weird situation but that's marketing deals for you.
If they can announce in mid September I don't see how they can release the game until at least a month or two after for logistical purposes with the physical version. Unless they release digitally first with physical to come later. I'll be playing on game pass so I hope for the latter.

Wildebeest

Ok, but personally I was never under the impression that the PvP mode was billed as the primary game mode. It is primarily a single player game.
If people thought that it is a case of people seeing only what they want to see rather than what is being shown to them.

GymWolf

From, what I've seen, does it even have immersive sim elements? I might have missed something or they simply haven't shown it.
I'm pretty sure that they confirmed immersive sims elements, not sure how strong or present they are.

R6Rider

Gold Member
If people thought that it is a case of people seeing only what they want to see rather than what is being shown to them.
Wrong. I followed the game since it was first announced and have played it through multiple times.

It's Single-player focused with a completely optional multiplayer aspect that can only happen a limited number of times per loop anyway.

clarky

Gold Member
Wrong. I followed the game since it was first announced and have played it through multiple times.

It's Single-player focused with a completely optional multiplayer aspect that can only happen a limited number of times per loop anyway.
Yup, the lads talking out of his ass.

It is and always was a single player narrative game with optional invasions bolted on as a bonus.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Don't expect it to be anywhere near what is an immersive sim, or you'll be strongly, and I mean very strongly, disappointed
I know that, i'm ok with arkane doing something a bit different, but i still expect their Dna in this game, from top tier level design to flexibility on how achieve results.

I don't believe for a second that this is gonna be your run of the mill open world shlooter.

Konnor

Why are you guys even having this discussion about multiplayer? Subnautica, a single player indie game released in 2018 has 10 times the concurrent players of Deathloop. Who cares if it's multiplayer or not, it's still a massive failure.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Rival assassins trapped in a Deathloop. Break the loop/Protect the loop. None of that was real, it was just in my head?

. . .and at no point up to it being mentioned that JULLIANNA (wrong name previously) would be able to be played by a real world player, did the whiff of MP creep around this game. The narrative beat was always JULLIANA was constantly coming after you (I don't even recall when it was confirmed that you just played as COLT). If you can find any stories about this game either having MP or even an article speculating about the possibility of playing as her I'd like to see it. Maybe, from the first trailer they put out (I think this was the CGI one), but everything beyond that was clearly a singleplayer experience.

Why are you guys even having this discussion about multiplayer? Subnautica, a single player indie game released in 2018 has 10 times the concurrent players of Deathloop. Who cares if it's multiplayer or not, it's still a massive failure.

And counterstrike has 175 times the concurrent players of Subnautica so, who cares about this comparison, it's still a massive failure.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

John Candy Reaction GIF

I'll put it this way. Go to the deathloop website. Scroll down to the paragraph where it describes the game. See any mention of multiplayer? Nope. Now hit the right arrow three times. There it is, buried on the fourth screen and they describe it as "completely optional". If you want to pretend that is giving the MP aspect top billing then that's up to you, but I think it is a bit absurd.

Last edited:
Slot in ‘35 GOTY awards’ in my previous comment and it still has the same impact.

Glad you went and counted, though.

on the contrary. Good faith critique is always important and should be welcomed.

Comments from folks with a history of making bad-faith, disparaging comments in threads about Xbox exclusives might attract derisive responses

Outlandish stuff like comparing Redfall to Bleeding Edge will always be laughed at.
That what I find funny about guys like you, you never have any problem with me when I'm saying bad things about EA, Ubisoft, SEGA, Konami, SE, etc, no one ever complains. Dare I say the same things I said about Hyenas about Redfall and it gets like this.

I just watched what they showed and it doesn't look good to me, move on. I have no problem with giving credit where credit is due, like the interesting work MS has done with Flight Simulator. The narratives you guys create are fantastic, as if I went out of my way to dislike any game.

Last edited:

Konnor

And counterstrike has 175 times the concurrent players of Subnautica so, who cares about this comparison, it's still a massive failure.

Dude, the argument started because Wildebeest wrote this:

A multiplayer game flatlining at about 400 concurrent players, with a small bump to about 500 from 60% off steam sale.

That's the whole point of the discussion and that's why I'm mentioning concurrent player numbers.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I never said it was not optional. In fact, I did say that many people didn't care for it and turned it off. What I am talking about is that the feature was promoted quite a lot in various channels. You all can try to dogpile me on this, but I know what I saw.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I never said it was not optional. In fact, I did say that many people didn't care for it and turned it off. What I am talking about is that the feature was promoted quite a lot in various channels. You all can try to dogpile me on this, but I know what I saw.
You claimed the game was multiplayer focused. Which is false.

End of story.

Topher

Gold Member
I said it was a multiplayer game, and they were pushing multiplayer. I did not say it was a "multiplayer focussed" game, whatever that means.

End of story.

Saying it is a "multiplayer game" and that Arkane were "pushing multiplayer" equates to "multiplayer focused" game. And it simply isn't a multiplayer game. It is a single player game with a multiplayer component. And whatever it is you saw from various channels, the rest of us here "dogpiling" on you are saying that isn't what we saw.

Wildebeest

Saying it is a "multiplayer game" and that Arkane were "pushing multiplayer" equates to "multiplayer focused" game. And it simply isn't a multiplayer game. It is a single player game with a multiplayer component. And whatever it is you saw from various channels, the rest of us here "dogpiling" on you are saying that isn't what we saw.
Splitting hairs with these weird terms. They did push multiplayer in their promotion. It is a multiplayer game because the multiplayer gameplay is clearly built into it. Just because you can turn it off or ignore it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Arachnid

This still looks like trash, but it's Arkane so I'll give it a shot. No reason not to since it's basically free.

Leyasu

Banned
That what I find funny about guys like you, you never have any problem with me when I'm saying bad things about EA, Ubisoft, SEGA, Konami, SE, etc, no one ever complains. Dare I say the same things I said about Hyenas about Redfall and it gets like this.

I just watched what they showed and it doesn't look good to me, move on. I have no problem with giving credit where credit is due, like the interesting work MS has done with Flight Simulator. The narratives you guys create are fantastic, as if I went out of my way to dislike any game.
Well if doesn’t look good to you, then why come into every thread about it or any other game you don’t like and keep saying the same shit over again?

It comes off as trolling. Which is compounded by the fact that you are a well known troll.

You have not done yourself any favours.

Well if doesn’t look good to you, then why come into every thread about it or any other game you don’t like and keep saying the same shit over again?

It comes off as trolling. Which is compounded by the fact that you are a well known troll.

You have not done yourself any favours.
I comment on threads about game news, if people start quoting me it ain't my problem. How boring would this board be if people only commented when they were going to praise a game. You guys just need to stop being so defensive and assume that everyone has some agenda. I hope the game ends up being good even if it hasn't impressed me so far.

edit: I just did a search and it looks like I only ever mentioned this game once before outside this thread, actually saying I was looking forward to it when Adamsapple said the lineup of Xbox for 2022 was Starfield, Redfall, Motorsport, Scorn, STALKER 2 and that he was expecting more surprise releases. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom