• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Has No In-Game Store or MTX, Will Be Arkane’s Most Supported Title

Topher

Gold Member
Wccftech recently participated in a Redfall preview event in London's Bethesda headquarters. You can check out my hands-on preview of the game here. After playing, I interviewed Arkane Austin veteran and Redfall creative director Harvey Smith, who revealed that there won't be any in-game store or microtransactions in the game. He also confirmed that Redfall is set to become the most supported title ever made by the studio after its debut.

We try to be very clear that there are no microtransactions and there is no store in the game. We're very proud of that. If you find a costume in the game, then you can have it, as simple as that. Other than that, Redfall will be our most supported game post-launch. We went with a server model, so we can update the game constantly. If we see a lot of people falling from ladders and dying, we can update the ladder code. If we see that nobody is playing this character, we can tweak this character and make them more appealing. We have plans for additional guns, costumes, monsters, characters, and more that we can't talk about right now. But we have a strong year of updates, and it's all either in the current game or it will be DLC. We try to do it as fairly as possible for people.

Fans had been worried about Redfall having microtransactions and/or an in-game store for cosmetics following a set of leaked images from a playtest in the second half of 2021. Those images clearly showed that an in-game shop was at some point included, but Arkane, Bethesda, and/or Microsoft have obviously since reconsidered.

Originally scheduled for Summer 2022, Redfall was delayed to the first half of 2023 alongside the big next IP of Bethesda Game Studios, Starfield. Both games now have their new release dates, with Redfall pinned for May 2nd and Starfield for September 6th. Both games will be exclusive to PC and Xbox Series S|X, as well as available on Game Pass from day one.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's a common tactic - get the good press, then add it later when most people stop caring and move on. The people still playing it go into a smoothbrain "it's all cosmetic just ignore it" mode. Activision does it all the time.
sony Did it with gran turismo 7, and Activision did it with crash team racing nitro fueled.
It's all talk but you know it'll be coming when added. No company who willingly remoes mtx from their game would say thst

It's a common tactic - get the good press, then add it later when most people stop caring and move on. The people still playing it go into a smoothbrain "it's all cosmetic just ignore it" mode. Activision does it all the time.

And Activision has shitty business practices, do you think a high profile first party game would do this?

Edit - Wait, did Sony do this with GT7!?

Last edited:
No issue with someone wanting to buy cosmetics and developers making them available via store.

Getting proud over this stuff is wierd. Though I get it, they don't want Suicide Squad style debacle at their hands.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They don’t lose it until they’ve given a reason to lose it. Arkane’s always been solid.
that reason can always come even from the most beloved devs. again, GT7. no one expected MTX from a developer like Polyphony.

Game looks good to me, unfortunately some salty people are just going to run around and shit post for obvious reasons.
theyre shitposting because it looks dull and boring and there's 0 hype for it

Aenima

sony Did it with gran turismo 7, and Activision did it with crash team racing nitro fueled.
It's all talk but you know it'll be coming when added. No company who willingly remoes mtx from their game would say thst
GT7 had microtransactions since day 1. And got backlash because of this once they nerfed some races that was being exploited to fast farm credits. Like 2 weeks after release, then Polyphony apologised and did a overall rebalance to the game economy making it much better than it used to be at day1.

If u have to use a Sony example you could use the multiplayer of TLOU, that launched without store if i remember well, then after some months later they added some nasty pay to win OP weapons as DLC and the game died.

that reason can always come even from the most beloved devs. again, GT7. no one expected MTX from a developer like Polyphony.
Thats because you was living under a rock. GT6 had microtransactions and GT Sport had microtransactions.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’ll be the most supported because of Game Pass. Microsoft will want this to have long legs, as it’ll be another draw for the subscription service.

I just don't want to see Arkane stuck on this for a long time. Free them up to create more stuff.

splattered

theyre shitposting because it looks dull and boring and there's 0 hype for it
Well then they should all stop trying to AH-HA this game against Microsoft if they loathe it already so much. If it looks terrible, then who cares whether it comes to PS5 or not?

R6Rider

Gold Member
How many times has Arkane done it?
I mean they also haven't done a looter shooter or co-op game before (unless co-developed Youngblood)...

Playing devil's advocate here, but there's already people trying to latch onto "Arkane's DNA" when it comes to this game, when that clearly isn't the case.

sainraja

A game does not need microtransactions to get ongoing support. As long as they release new content expansions at a regular interval, the game will be fine and so will they.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I mean they also haven't done a looter shooter or co-op game before (unless co-developed Youngblood)...

Playing devil's advocate here, but there's already people trying to latch onto "Arkane's DNA" when it comes to this game, when that clearly isn't the case.

I read “Arkane’s DNA” as feel and the likeliness of being open with how you tackle objectives. They are one of the few immersive sim developers out there.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I didn't say the game is great. I said ongoing support with no monetization is great. I enjoy that in Splatoon.

I have a feeling Redfall will generate about 1/10th the money Splatoon did. As a result, you won't get comparable support.

I could be wrong...but I doubt it.

Topher

Gold Member
Game looks good to me, unfortunately some salty people are just going to run around and shit post for obvious reasons.

I agree. I'm liking what I'm seeing. Really looking forward to this game quite a bit.

Bullshit.

Yep. But what do you expect from a guy finding negatives in no MTX and heavy post-launch support?

Last edited:
Microsoft's goal is to get as many gamers into its ecosystem before pissing them off with MTX crap. They need to earn a lot trust in their first party lineup before they'll add mtx

reksveks

Some weird comments but the amount of cajones and the lack of the shame if Arkane implement a mtx store would be huge.

Microsoft's goal is to get as many gamers into its ecosystem before pissing them off with MTX crap. They need to earn a lot trust in their first party lineup before they'll add mtx
It will be a game by game basis, FM8 will have mtx for sure.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I think this game looks great, believe that Arkane are one of the best studios out there, and this particular issue - of not including an in-game store should be applauded and not viewed with cynicism. Really, what the fuck do people want? Include an in-game store, people bitch. DON’T include a store and GAF cynically claims it’s all a manipulative smokescreen for MTX to be released at a later time. Is there any pleasing anyone, anymore?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's actually a bad sign.

They have no confidence in this title.
Dog Reaction GIF

Top Bottom