• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Has No In-Game Store or MTX, Will Be Arkane’s Most Supported Title

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The MTX was not available to purchase before launch but the reviwers could see there was an option to purchase credits from the PS Store. IGN review even mention that in they review.

Tiestamped for the MTX part.

Damn, another "narrative" busted.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Game X has MTX

Gamers - Boo hiss this game is bound to fail

Game X - Ok we don't have MTX or in game store

Gamers - Dead game, no confidence in their product

That's actually a bad sign.

They have no confidence in this title.

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

This game will of course live or die based on the amount of support and if fans continue to play it. Things like sea of thieves have been successful but things like avengers have not. They promise long going support if they are successful, that's what these type of games live and die off of.

Well, that certainly explain’s Sony’s new push for FTP GaaS games.
Meh, Sony doesn't really have any high quality 1st party multiplayer games to offer its consumers, so it is kind of a win win. And if F2P games can help offset the astronomical budgets of their first party single player games then I got no issue with it

Last edited:
So how are they gonna make money then for the extra content? It’s very cool of them - I just assume you have to figure out some way to monetize

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Are there any examples of titles that have released on Gamepass (not referring to existing cross platform titles) that have gotten updated consistently with free content?

I have never played the Forza games, do those games give free content updates or do you have to pay for it (they did a hotwheels thing that was free or no)?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So how are they gonna make money then for the extra content? It’s very cool of them - I just assume you have to figure out some way to monetize
If the content is good and they actually support the game in the same vein as Deep Rock Galactic and the game is just a lot of fun and infinitely replayable then the game will sell itself.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The promise of post-launch support is neat because in the past Arkane was kinda whack with not fixing issues post-launch in any considerable timeframe, if ever.

reksveks

1) MS has different revenue streams and therefore calculations than Bethesda would have as an independent publisher so it could get into more complex 'arbitrage' models.
2) No Man Sky seems to be doing okay with a similar model but not sure how. It does seem possible.

We do know the special edition does have additional characters not in the base game so they may sell bigger DLC content packs (that may count as MTX).

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Game X has MTX

Gamers - Boo hiss this game is bound to fail

Game X - Ok we don't have MTX or in game store

Gamers - Dead game, no confidence in their product

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

You KNOW I wasn't in the "MTX therefore boo hiss game is bound to fail" category.

This thread comes a day after Epic revealed Creative 2.0, which is one of the most ambitious projects in the history of our beloved medium. They're not getting close to that point with Arkanes (dumb) everything is free policy.

Cheap gamers yield cheap games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You KNOW I wasn't in the "MTX therefore boo hiss game is bound to fail" category.

This thread comes a day after Epic revealed Creative 2.0, which is one of the most ambitious projects in the history of our beloved medium. They're not getting close to that point with Arkanes (dumb) everything is free policy.

I didn't mean you specifically in the first category

It was a blanket statement on how gamers react to both ends of the spectrum and how devs can not win

Topher

Gold Member

Redfall isn't free

Kacho

Gold Member
I wonder if that Store tab will still appear in the UI. The screenshot we saw that in was from 2021 so perhaps they decided against it later on.

Anyway this is very good news. All that remains is to remove the always online requirement and I'm on board. We need far fewer Live Service games going forward. Unless you are a behemoth like Diablo 4 you won't stand a chance.

clarky

Gold Member
I have a feeling Redfall will generate about 1/10th the money Splatoon did. As a result, you won't get comparable support.

I could be wrong...but I doubt it.
Captian Obvious strikes again. Its a new ip on gamepass if be surprised if it even hits charts.

If enough people are playing regularly though game pass it'll get great support.

NickFire

I think this reflects positively on both the dev and MS. To me it shows the dev focused on making a good game first and foremost. And MS deserves praise for not ordering the devs to add mtx in the two years since purchase. A lot of companies in MS position would have tried doing that IMO (coughEAcoughActivisioncough).

Kvally

Banned
anyone remember that thread about these gifs being cringe af?
even tho I agree with message here... I'm starting to see that guy's point... 🫠
I type in TLOU in the gif box here for all my gifs! But the problem was that some felt that using PlayStation gifs somehow were a troll to Xbox users. If Xbox studios made fun gifs like Naughty Dog does, I would use those too. But ND is the gif queen.

Screenshot-2023-03-23-at-11-03-49-AM.png

Banned
I type in TLOU in the gif box here for all my gifs! But the problem was that some felt that using PlayStation gifs somehow were a troll to Xbox users. If Xbox studios made fun gifs like Naughty Dog does, I would use those too. But ND is the gif queen.

Screenshot-2023-03-23-at-11-03-49-AM.png

yeaaaaaahhh... my problem is more that they feel like
30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

and I bet there's a version of this one too... right? lol

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No joke though, you can look through my post history to see I really haven't been feeling the game from the trailers, but planned to give it a fair shot due to xbox live.

However this... means the game will be trying to be a good game, no BS. They might fail at it but it won't be for the common reason of shitty management forcing game mechanics to change to drive people towards the store and MTX.

I think that alone makes it unique compared to a majority of open world games, especially the Ubisoft fare.

StereoVsn

That's good to hear. And they also mentioned looking into offline possibilities. All that said, the environment, characters and the premise give me 0 interest. :(

I will try it out on Game pass at some point but expect that to be a very short try.

Meifu

I think people are being way too harsh on Arkane

Was deathloop a step back from full on immersive sim elements ? Yes. Was it a bad Game, not even close.

They still have my trust

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
I think people are being way too harsh on Arkane

Was deathloop a step back from full on immersive sim elements ? Yes. Was it a bad Game, not even close.

They still have my trust
Well, if critics still count this week, Deathloop is an 88 on Opencritic for top critic average and 92% critics recommend.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Captian Obvious strikes again. Its a new ip on gamepass if be surprised if it even hits charts.

If enough people are playing regularly though game pass it'll get great support.

I would bet my third testicle this game doesn't get "great support". Too many red flags...

- No in game store.
- Harvey Smith strategically talking politics.
- A handful of negative previews (rare to see).
- The game Deathlooping itself with too many showings.

They've done their internal playtests. No one wants to play this game longer than 15 hrs so they're going after a specific demographic (look at responses above) they feel they can extract from.

I've said my piece. Hope I'm wrong for your sake but I'm so very rarely wrong.

AppropriateImperturbableDore-max-1mb.gif

T4keD0wN

What they have said: Redfall is set to become the most supported title ever made by the studio after its debut.
What i hear: Redfall will release so unfinished it will take years for it to be in a release worthy state.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
game devs lost the benefit of the doubt

So shitposting an opinion that has zero basis in anything (least of all the history of this developer or MS keeping this boutique studio "pure"). Gotcha.

Wait till you play it before you call it great. This one has red flags popping up everywhere.

Sure if you only read the PC Gamer preview and chose to remain blinded to the other glowing press the (admittedly short) preview is getting.

. . .seriously it is crazy transparent what some of you are doing.

Top Bottom