• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Is Always Online Even In Single-Player, Bethesda Confirms

Havoc2049

Grounded can be played offline. Redfall can’t.
Under what conditions can it be played offline?

It didn't work for me. I'm playing my Series X while I post here right now. I just went offline and tried to boot up Grounded and it said this game needs an online connection.

Banned

It didn't work for me. I'm playing my Series X while I post here right now. I just went offline and tried to boot up Grounded and it said this game needs an online connection.

pretty sure there should be a menu option to play offline in the game

Havoc2049

having additional cosmetics is a common thing for special editions, even Hi Fi Rush has a special edition with a handful of cosmetics.

and the hero pass sounds like the standard DLC season pass many games have, and those games usually do not need an internet connection.

also Forza Horizon 5 can be played offline even tho it literally gets 3 to 4 new cars each month with events happening all the time and a shitload of online functionality like a car marketplace where people can sell their cars to other players and all of the custom races, liveries, tunings and stuff being directly incorporated into the game dynamically whenever you interact with any of these things.

it also has realtime seasons and day/night cycles that are synced up online.

and it has a car pass where you get a bunch of new cars regularly as well as higher tier editions that give you bonuses like additional wheelspins.

it gets even better! Drop-in/drop-out coop? hah! casual shiz! Forza Horizon 4 and 5 throw every player into a populated server with other players that drive around and can interact with you.

yet, it works offline just fine...

there is not a singular reason a game like RedFall needs a forced online connection.
So basically the offline experience is a shell of the online experience in Forza Horizon 5. Sounds pretty dreadful, especially considering if you are playing offline, you aren't playing via Game Pass and paid good money for a gimped game. Yaa hu, a win!?!?

Hey, I'm with you that single player only games with a closed world, that you paid for, shouldn't require an online connection. I just don't think Redfall falls into that category.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Maybe it has changed. I haven’t played it much since a month post it’s release on Pc, but was able to play with a lack of internet.

Kvally

Banned
Maybe it has changed. I haven’t played it much since a month post it’s release on Pc, but was able to play with a lack of internet.
It hasn't changed. You are asked to sign in, but there is also a "play offline" button at the bottom. This was there as of two weeks ago at least. Not sure if it changed in the past 2 weeks.

Dutchy

Yeah, I’m sure I’m 10 years the game I will want to be playing is the GaaS Redfall. How old is Destiny? I feel zero need to go back to that series either.
How many books and movies or literally any other kind of material goods do you own that you haven't looked at in over a decade? Now how bummed would you be if those things simply ceased to exist over time? I can't imagine that you wouldn't.

Not to start any console wars but I'm getting massive Senjutsu vibes and have a feeling that everyone justifying this practice is just desperately looking for a way to defend yet another mediocre first party addition to the Xbox' library.

How old is Destiny? I feel zero need to go back to that series either.

Good thing not everybody is like you. I'd be bummed as hell knowing that 200 hours of brilliant (and arguebly better than D2) content is unavailable to be experienced by anyone, ever again.

Kvally

Banned
Not to start any console wars but I'm getting massive Senjutsu vibes and have a feeling that everyone justifying this practice is just desperately looking for a way to defend yet another mediocre first party addition to the Xbox' library.
A game you haven't played....and you start with "not to start any console wars". I think you missed the boat.

Kvally

Banned
Plenty of trailers to draw my conclusions from. But I'll play it and be honest if I feel otherwise!
I wouldn't buy it if it didn't have single player. The sale almost escaped me until it was confirmed to have it. The game looks great to me, even as a PS fan, but I have lost my online excitement (and time) that I once had 20 years ago.

Banned
So basically the offline experience is a shell of the online experience in Forza Horizon 5. Sounds pretty dreadful, especially considering if you are playing offline, you aren't playing via Game Pass and paid good money for a gimped game. Yaa hu, a win!?!?

it's absolutely not gimped, it's different. I know someone who only plays it in offline mode and only goes online whenever there's a specific car he wants to unlock in weekly challenges.

the offline mode in newer forza games is tailored to offline players. seasons run off of your consoles internal clock for example.
the things you miss out on are things I personally actually also barely engage with when playing Forza.
I mean yeah it's nice that you can download fancy Paintjobs from other players, but I always make my own anyways, so nothing lost there.
Forzathon stuff is usually also boring AF to me, I only do it if a car I really want is tied to a challenge/challenges.

playing FH5 offline in many ways can be a way nicer experience because it's less IN YOUR FACE at all times with it's "look it's the new fall season stuff!, btw you got 201725 new super wheel spins!!! yeahhhh!!! and there are 20 new messages!"

in offline mode it's just a really nice open world racing game.

Hey, I'm with you that single player only games with a closed world, that you paid for, shouldn't require an online connection. I just don't think Redfall falls into that category.

yes it absolutely does fall into that category from every single thing we have seen from it.

if you are playing offline, you aren't playing via Game Pass

also it seems like I have to reiterate that you absolutely can play gamepass games offline for I think 30 days until you have to check in again

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
it's absolutely not gimped, it's different. I know someone who only plays it in offline mode and only goes online whenever there's a specific car he wants to unlock in weekly challenges.

the offline mode in newer forza games is tailored to offline players. seasons run off of your consoles internal clock for example.
the things you miss out on are things I personally actually also barely engage with when playing Forza.
I mean yeah it's nice that you can download fancy Paintjobs from other players, but I always make my own anyways, so nothing lost there.
Forzathon stuff is usually also boring AF to me, I only do it if a car I really want is tied to a challenge/challenges.

playing FH5 offline in many ways can be a way nicer experience because it's less IN YOUR FACE at all times with it's "look it's the new fall season stuff!, btw you got 201725 new super wheel spins!!! yeahhhh!!! and there are 20 new messages!"

Sometimes I should play my FH5 offline. The map can be LITTERED with so many tasks to do that are "new" that it's frustrating because they literally take up the entire map with hundreds of icons. I go into the map settings (RB) and unselect all, and choose what I want to work on. But then when I do that it seems I end up adding more by completing more. I don't know if these are all programmed by Playground Games are or if they are randomly generated (like No Man's Sky planets).

Banned
Sometimes I should play my FH5 offline. The map can be LITTERED with so many tasks to do that are "new" that it's frustrating because they literally take up the entire map with hundreds of icons. I go into the map settings (RB) and unselect all, and choose what I want to work on. But then when I do that it seems I end up adding more by completing more. I don't know if these are all programmed by Playground Games are or if they are randomly generated (like No Man's Sky planets).

the icons on the map are all placed by Playground games. offline mode doesn't change that much about it.

that's one of the things I don't like about modern Forza. it just throws shit at you left and right...
"here take 2 million bucks", "hey you got 10 wheelspins!", "here are 20 new events you unlocked because you upgraded the festival"...

they try to throw everything at you in the hopes that everyone finds a thing they like and as a result it feels unfocused imo.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Redfall is an online GaaS title that lets you play single player. If you really feel the need to play this game in 10 years, and haven’t moved on the the next 20 GaaS titles, I’ll buy you a coke.

Doesn't matter, it's still bad for preservation. I'm online all the time, and I probably won't play it in 10 years, but I understand why people voice their opinion to prevent this from becoming the norm.

Kvally

Banned
the icons on the map are all placed by Playground games. offline mode doesn't change that much about it.

that's one of the things I don't like about modern Forza. it just throws shit at you left and right...
"here take 2 million bucks", "hey you got 10 wheelspins!", "here are 20 new events you unlocked because you upgraded the festival"...

they try to throw everything at you in the hopes that everyone finds a thing they like and as a result it feels unfocused imo.
Yes, there is a loss of focus there. I don't mind the wheel spins or the money. Last time I looked, I had 20 unused Super Wheel Spins. What I don't like about Forza Horizon, which can't be avoided, is the story, the avatars and fucking mittens, or socks or leather spanks.....THAT to me makes the game unfocused. In addition to that, is the last part that you mentioned "here are 20 new events" and then there goes my map again, PACKED full of stuff. STOP THAT.

I did buy the castle for $5,000,000 this weekend though! Woo hoo!

Banned
I did buy the castle for $5,000,000 this weekend though! Woo hoo!

the most important property is that one beach house tho, because that gives you the ability to fast travel to evey street on the map!

which makes the weekly events way more tolerable imo because you can just instantly get there

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
the most important property is that one beach house tho, because that gives you the ability to fast travel to evey street on the map!

which makes the weekly events way more tolerable imo because you can just instantly get there
That is FO SHO. The castle was my last one though! :) And I fast travel like a FREAK. I am glad fast travel is so fast on the Series X. If I had to go back to fast travel on the Xbox One (have cars delivered to me on the Xbox One), I would go NUTS!

Banned
That is FO SHO. The castle was my last one though! :) And I fast travel like a FREAK. I am glad fast travel is so fast on the Series X. If I had to go back to fast travel on the Xbox One (have cars delivered to me on the Xbox One), I would go NUTS!

yeah, the SSD speeds of less than 2sec loading really helps this game a lot

Havoc2049

in offline mode it's just a really nice open world racing game.

yes it absolutely does fall into that category from every single thing we have seen from it.

also it seems like I have to reiterate that you absolutely can play gamepass games offline for I think 30 days until you have to check in again
Are you sure with all Game Pass games? I'm a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and I have Grounded on my Series X. When I read in this forum that Grounded could be played offline, I thought oh cool, let me check it out, just in case that rare scenario ever comes up. I went in my settings and turned off my internet and went to boot up Grounded and it didn't even boot up. It went strait to a notification that the game requires a internet connection to play. There was no menu to play offline. I have played it in the last 30 days and have unlocked several achievements in Grounded this month. A friend and I are going for 100% in the game.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is your console registered as your "home" console within your MS account? I think that's the only way to start the GP games in offline mode.

Banned
Are you sure with all Game Pass games? I'm a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and I have Grounded on my Series X. When I read in this forum that Grounded could be played offline, I thought oh cool, let me check it out, just in case that rare scenario ever comes up. I went in my settings and turned off my internet and went to boot up Grounded and it didn't even boot up. It went strait to a notification that the game requires a internet connection to play. There was no menu to play offline.

that is weird. I have played multiple gp games offline before.
have you played the game at least once while being connected? or did you download, turn the Internet off and then started it for the first time?
also do you have your xbox set as your home system?

there are games that do not work offline, I think the publisher can restrict that. but I would be very surprised if Microsoft would do that on a first party game

Last edited:

Aeson

Neo Member
Why are people defending this shit? It in no way is a benefit to the consumer. I will never buy this gaas garbage every publisher wants to peddle.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

W8rEENh.gif

Kacho

Hopefully this leads to more studios ditching always online requirements for their games. Get that shit outta here.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
All the people defending why it was always online, now need to invent a new narrative as well.
I still have no issue with always online though. It’s never bothered me in the past. And I can’t think of a time when I’ve wanted to return to a game, but couldn’t because its online was killed. It sounds like the developer had their reasons too. More interesting that GaaS too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's okay, I like the pressure on them. Hopefully it keeps them honest.

My personal take has always been that they were working on this game prior to the acquisition instead of their usual single player stuff because they needed something profitable. I think GP has likely freed them up from needing a store. But only time will tell.

And I predict their next game (1st one post-acquisition) will be going back to the niche games they traditionally have made.

Ezekiel_

Banned
It's okay, I like the pressure on them. Hopefully it keeps them honest.

My personal take has always been that they were working on this game prior to the acquisition instead of their usual single player stuff because they needed something profitable. I think GP has likely freed them up from needing a store. But only time will tell.

And I predict their next game (1st one post-acquisition) will be going back to the niche games they traditionally have made.
I love your optimism

tusharngf

4 player coop shooter means it's a Gaas game. Why people are worried about online only. Bigger problem is it's a gaas game.

Nydius

I read the article and all that was said was they're looking into possibly doing it. Not that they are doing it.

While looking into it is certainly welcome news, I'll believe it when I see it actually happen. I genuinely don't believe their playstyle telemetry data line of reasoning. As far as I'm concerned, there's only two reasons for a coop looter/shooter to need a persistent online connection: DRM or GaaS Microtransactions/Battle Passes (or both).

Borderlands can be played entirely offline if one wants and doing so doesn't make it worse than playing connected.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I still have no issue with always online though. It’s never bothered me in the past. And I can’t think of a time when I’ve wanted to return to a game, but couldn’t because its online was killed. It sounds like the developer had their reasons too. More interesting that GaaS too.

Just because you are OK with being fucked in the ass by companies and having less consumer rights doesn't mean the rest of us are. There is zero excuse for always online in a single player game. This only further cements it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nevsr understood why this is an issue, everyone is always online anyway
For games that has SP should let you play completely offline like Souls games and Monster Hunter games. Sometimes my internet gets cut off or PSN goes maintenance and I won’t longer have access to SP. More importantly online only games have expiration date, once the server goes out you no longer can play it’s single player, games like Elden Ring if the server gets shut down I can still play the games completely offline and enjoy it.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Nevsr understood why this is an issue, everyone is always online anyway
But the technology isn't flawless. Your internet/wifi can go down or become unstable, PSN/XBL can go down, the game's servers can go down or enter maintenance - any of this happens and suddenly you can't play in singleplayer mode. I've experienced this a lot while playing Hitman games (the recent trilogy) - you can have fun one second and be kicked out the next because there's suddenly a connection problem.

If the game offers singleplayer content it shouldn't force you to be always-online.

Last edited:
Top Bottom