• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Is Always Online Even In Single-Player, Bethesda Confirms

There are all sorts of reasons why people might not be able to/want to have their console online the whole time. You don't buy a console expecting that to be necessary.

Besides, that clearly isn't the point. Does any other industry have people cheerleading anti-consumer practices within it? How do you feel about BMW introducing subscription services to heat your seats?

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
There are other resources, too, if you don't like that site.

I guess it just seems strange to me, I can remember like 2 instances of Xbox Live being down and I've been subbed for a over a decade and play most days.
This whole topic is a waste of time really.

People saying they wouldn't entertain getting an online game in 2023 to play on their consoles or computers constantly connected to the internet? Honestly, what a way to spend my life.

Putting this one on ignore.

Last edited:

sainraja

So, the game might be a bit like Destiny which isn't a bad thing but if that is what it is, then I think most of my time will still be spent on Destiny but we shall see how this turns out.

Rac3r

Tracee Ellis Ross Wait GIF by BET Awards

h2fdr5t.jpg

IjPZd3x.jpg

sXitznD.jpg

clarky

Gold Member
So, the game might be a bit like Destiny which isn't a bad thing but if that is what it is, then I think most of my time will still be spent on Destiny but we shall see how this turns out.
Thats exactly what it is i think. Which is good because ive just about had my fill with D2 and could do with a fresh take on it

Weekly missions, strikes, loot etc in an open world with vampires. Sounds ambitious hope they pull it off.

Bit worried about the gunplay from the vids but everything else looked good

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
The question is why? if it's something like Outriders at launch then that could be an issue as i had some issues connecting to Outriders. If it's all smooth then i won't care really.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
ITT people in the year 2023 who spend 24/7 on a video game forum on the internet (or social media) are mad about internet being required to play a video game.

For the people who GENUINELY have shit internet, they absolutely get my sympathy because they are clearly being left behind (and not just in gaming). To folks who are talking about internet outages as if they are power outages - yeah get over it. Internet is a utility, no matter what lobbyist in Washington say one way or another - and it should be treated as such, including when discussing whether or not it is "fair" for a game to require it.

If giving an email address and setting a password is the limit, then I'm not sure how you'd have coped at a time when you'd have actually left the house to go to and buy something. But, you do you, I guess.
Right and next this just need you to do this tiny little step, and next just this tiny little step. Like wtf, maybe you are too young but i remember the days that the only barrier for me to play a game was to get my ass of the couch plug in a cartridge, grab the controller and press the power button. I dont blame you though, youve been conditoned to think this way.

sainraja

Thats exactly what it is i think. Which is good because ive just about had my fill with D2 and could do with a fresh take on it

Weekly missions, strikes, loot etc in an open world with vampires. Sounds ambitious hope they pull it off.

Bit worried about the gunplay from the vids but everything else looked good
It [Redfall] will be a nice way for me to switch things up, but given that Lightfall is coming out soon, I think that will keep me busy for a while. Destiny is mostly all I play nowadays.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Always online sucks. Is this the case with many Xbox Series X games or just Redfall?

I was waiting for some more of their AAA games to drop before considering buying one but if all of their games are always online then forget it

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by HBO Max

And yet you’ve been a HUGE fan of GT7, an always online game. Seems it’s perfectly fine for you when it’s on hardware you own?

adamsapple adamsapple getting cooked for his past banter (and rightly so!) but just like STARSBarry STARSBarry said earlier, this whole thing cuts both ways.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Blows my mind seeing people defend this shit lol
It’s not about defending it, as much as it’s about not having an issue with it, or not caring. Should single player games ever, across all platforms require online? No. Do I care that some do? No.

They must be confident because at the moment I'm unable to play the Division 2 because Ubisoft broke their launcher. Sure hope Blizzard net doesn't break the same way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And yet you’ve been a HUGE fan of GT7, an always online game. Seems it’s perfectly fine for you when it’s on hardware you own?

adamsapple adamsapple getting cooked for his past banter (and rightly so!) but just like STARSBarry STARSBarry said earlier, this whole thing cuts both ways.

Always check your histories before making comments people :messenger_grinning_sweat:

FeralEcho

Not really an issue for me as I have had always on internet since 1997. Are there many nowadays that don't have it? Just seems like a non-issue.
Your 1997 internet connection wont help you for shit If the servers ever shit the bed one day and you're excited to play it but can't and good luck replaying the game in 10 years when they take the servers down completely.You see the issue now?

mrmustard

Banned
The only game I play more online than offline is GT7 and I think the online requirement for it is terrible and I'm not making excuses but I can at least still race on 36 different tracks and choose multiple layouts offline
It's a non issue to me. The last time my pc or any of my consoles wasn't always online was like 2009 or so. Sucks of course for a few people, but i could imagine it has something to do with anti cheat for multiplayer.

SCB3

Doesn't effect me personally as my stuff is always online mostly (maybe the switch if I'm playing offline I guess) but yea sucks if you have shit internet which is still somehow a thing in 2023

sainraja

They made it a point to say that the game can be played single player with optional co-op. They also compared the game to Far Cry and Borderlands, not Destiny and The Division.
Ah, I see. I can see that giving people the wrong idea...still, I am thinking there is likely a good reason for it being required.

Robb

Gold Member
Only takes a minute or two, I wouldn't let it put me off a game.
I guess, but that’s all just.. bleh. When I’ve downloaded a game I want to push play and play it. I already have an account on Xbox, just use that.

It’s not that bothersome though, there’s plenty of games out there to play. If they want me to play their game they can just remove the extra account barrier and I’ll be happy to jump in.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yep, this game will please none of the traditional Arkane fans, in favor of the dude bro coop shooter crowd.

That's a shame really.

Arkane devs threw everything but the kitchen sink in their last video to show how their game still worked as their typical immersive sims.

Yet you’re still popping up with this ‘dudebro shooter’ take.

Ah, I see. I can see that giving people the wrong idea...still, I am thinking there is likely a good reason for it being required.

Why would that give anyone the wrong idea about the game?
Being always online for the SP mode doesn’t make their game anything like Destiny or The Division.

For the people who GENUINELY have shit internet, they absolutely get my sympathy because they are clearly being left behind (and not just in gaming). To folks who are talking about internet outages as if they are power outages - yeah get over it. Internet is a utility, no matter what lobbyist in Washington say one way or another - and it should be treated as such, including when discussing whether or not it is "fair" for a game to require it.
If only the problem was as simple as ones own internet connection...

Ozriel

M$FT
This game is going to fail. Already the previews aren't attractive and any negative press is going to dissuade anyone, especially with initial impressions. Despite the gameplay, the characters you play aren't someone that I want to play as.

What previews? Press hasn’t gotten their hands on the game yet.

Despite the gameplay, the characters you play aren't someone that I want to play as.

The game is going to fail because you don’t like the characters?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I hate GT7's online requirement but guess what I did today I did a couple of races offline and got to choose from 36 tracks each with at least 3 different layouts

Always online sucks and I couldn't imagine most of my games being that way

Last edited:
Top Bottom