• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall is launching on Xbox consoles with Quality mode only (4K30FPS) - 60fps to be patched in at some future point

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network
That'll help the whole "gamepass leads to games releasing incomplete" narrative.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, this is exactly what the Gotham Knights devs said about coop games set in an open world. You're CPU bound and while you can push pixels, the framerate relies heavily on the CPU which will be busy keeping track of what other players are doing in your world.

Good to see they are planning a 60 fps mode, but I wouldnt be too hopeful. Gotham Knights never got one.
That'll help the whole "gamepass leads to games releasing incomplete" narrative.

It's not even gamepass. This is a first party exclusive that should ship in a completed state. This used to be the kind of stuff that separate first party publisher from third party ones who released buggy incomplete games just to hit fiscal year or holiday deadlines. I would love to blame everything on gamepass but this game shouldve shipped with a 60 fps mode considering they didnt have to ship it on PS5 and last gen consoles.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah, this is exactly what the Gotham Knights devs said about coop games set in an open world. You're CPU bound and while you can push pixels, the framerate relies heavily on the CPU which will be busy keeping track of what other players are doing in your world.

Good to see they are planning a 60 fps mode, but I wouldnt be too hopeful. Gotham Knights never got one.
Not buying it, Sony made 120 player FPS on PS3 happen. Tracking what co op players do can't be that taxing.

Gaiff

Gold Member

It's not even gamepass. This is a first party exclusive that should ship in a completed state. This used to be the kind of stuff that separate first party publisher from third party ones who released buggy incomplete games just to hit fiscal year or holiday deadlines. I would love to blame everything on gamepass but this game shouldve shipped with a 60 fps mode considering they didnt have to ship it on PS5 and last gen consoles.
This game looks like a mid-tier Xbox One game. No reason for no 60 fps mode unless Arkane is incompetent.

Well I think GamePass gives them some leaway to release a game incomplete and update it later. When you don't count on a ton of $70 sales Day 1, you don't need to start with the most polished product. So it's more of a byproduct of not having to go for millions of $70 sales in the first month or so of release.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not buying it, Sony made 120 player FPS on PS3 happen. Tracking what co op players do can't be that taxing.
It was 256 players actually but they were all playing against each other. The CPU wasnt handling any NPC or enemy AI.

We went through this with Destiny last gen. It was a cross gen PS3 game that didnt get a 60 fps mode on PS4 because it had to not just handle 6 players during raids but all the AI that each player was interacting with. Even with the mid gen consoles, they had native 4k on the x1x but still not enough CPU power to handle 60 fps. That came later with the PS5 and XSX. Again, Destiny is essentially a PS3 game that needed a PS5 CPU to get 60 fps.

I ran Gotham Knights at 60 fps on my 8 core 16 thread CPU but on several occassions, the game just crashed during coop after stuttering down to just 2 fps. Im sure its possible to get this running at 60 fps but they are clearly running into the same challenges other devs have run into.

ProtoByte

Can we stop calling Arkane a good developer?
They've never been technically proficient, but this is a joke.

The graphics are subpar even for the artstyle, the AI is dumb as rocks, the NPC count in any given encounter hasn't been shown to be even marginally high, and the environment is static beyond compare. There's nothing demanding here. The Series X could run circles around this. There's no excuse.

Bojji

Even using this excuse they can make offline mode 60fps. What they are saying is bullshit, game doesn't look good enough to explain 30fps lock, it's purely devs incompetence.

Starfield is going to be 30 FPS isnt it?

Last time they showed it it wasn't even that.

Astray

Gold Member
The last game that had that sort of stuff happening is Gotham Knights, which coincidentally is another untethered coop game as well.. 🤔

Top Bottom