• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedFall is releasing on May 2, 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
tqp9aOv.jpg

FnWFsVQacAAduLW

Gameplay & Pre Order Details:

You’ve waited patiently, and now that wait is almost over. The team at Arkane Austin announced during the Developer_Direct showcase that Redfall will be launching on Xbox Series X|S and PC on May 2, 2023 — and they announced it alongside over ten minutes of brand-new gameplay, highlighting what’s waiting for you on the titular island.

Danger lurks around every corner and it’s up to you to clean up the streets. Take on a variety of missions throughout the world and face down terrifying vampire underbosses to make the town a little safer for the survivors. While you’re busy being the friendly neighborhood vampire hunter, you’ll also be gathering intel about the mysteries surrounding the island and its new vampire overlords — intel that will eventually lead you to the vampire gods controlling everything…

Redfall is coming to Xbox Series X|S and PC on May 2, 2023. Play it day one with Xbox Game Pass. Check out everything you need to know about Redfall so far here and watch the full Redfall segment of the Developer_Direct below.

Once the very picture of Smalltown, USA, the island town of Redfall used to be known for its quaint streets, breezy boardwalks and charming neighborhoods. Then the vampires moved in and ruined everything. First, they eclipsed the sun and pushed back the tides. Then they started turning all the island’s inhabitants into either minions for their army… or food.

Redfall Screenshot

Experience Redfall solo or with up to three friends and face off against the bloodsuckers holding the island hostage. In signature Arkane style, you will choose your path across the island and through the vampire masses as you discover what caused this plague of bloodsuckers and put an end to the threat. Explore a beautifully hand-crafted world packed with detail and shine a light on the island’s darkest corners as you fight to uncover the vampires’ secrets. Choose from a roster of heroes with unique, upgradeable skills and gear them up with customizable weaponry found all over the island. Do whatever it takes to build the perfect squad of vampire slayers.

Redfall Pre-Order Bonuses & Bite Back Edition Details

Upgrade to the Bite Back Edition to receive the Hero Pass with two future heroes, Throwback Outfit Pack with a unique outfit and backpack for each of the four base heroes (inspired by their lives before Redfall), a Laser Beam multi-weapon skin, and the Tactical Knife Stake weapon attachment.  

Pre-order Redfall or play the game with Xbox Game Pass to receive the Vampire Hunter Pack. This includes the exclusive Grim Tide Shotgun, which grants 20% increased damage with this weapon for eight seconds after killing an enemy. The pack also includes a Polar Vortex multi-weapon skin and a Blood Ravager Stake weapon attachment to help you take back Redfall.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what the emergent gameplay will be like. Not completely sold on the graphics but we'll see.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Arkane makes solid games but I always feel like they're not daring enough. They're a Microsoft first-party studio but this looks like just a step above an indie game. I'm sure it'll be decent to good but I wish Arkane would really push the envelope because they seem capable of greatness but never push it far enough.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'll give it a go as it'll be on Gamepass, but the game isn't getting my member throbbing.

I don't hate it, but it doesn't look like my cup of tea at all. This could be because it's made by Arkane, who've never made a game I've enjoyed.

The hate that Redfall is getting is comical. Looks cool, open-world, take out vampires and conquer the map.

They have just done such a weird job showing off this game, it's weird how it took so long to get a feeling of how the game plays.
Honestly I'd always thought it was like a four-player co-op shooter, with vampires. Yeah I don't understand why it's been so hard to communicate what the game is. Looks dope! I think up to now this game's been the victim of odd messaging and marketing that was just off it's game.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The ONLY complaint I had about REDFALL was that the gun combat didn't seem as punchy as a title like this needs to be. Maybe that is because of the disjointed missions we saw, but hopefully things get loud and have a nice weight to them in the game.

Beyond that everything they showed is exactly what I wanted from this: open world FPS-RPG with hero looter shooting. The "Psychic Worlds" are perfect and fertifle ground for post-launch support (not neccesarily DLC) to keep players coming back to the world, although REDFALL the city itself looks to be pretty meaty; I also like the idea that these psychic nests are only for the most brave of souls so that's why you'd find the best (one thinks) gear there. The FARCRY comparisons also now make complete sense with the underboss vampires and the "Vampire Gods" they are connected to (though that's more GHOST RECON Wildlands now that I think about it).

. . .also I feel like the art style really wasn't coming through in the feed they were using. Hopefully there is a 4K version of the presentation; the art aesthetic though looks fantastic. May 2nd is not at all that far away, given HOGWARTS launching real soon.

Having said that: elephant is obviously sitting in the room. We really expecting SF to launch between this and D4?

Kikorin

Is Arkane so it'll be good, but I've a fundamental problem with this game: shooting looks horrible. Sponge enemies, zero response (no hit animations, no wounds, no stains), no gore, world looks completely static without interaction. Basically seems like you are shooting fresh air to floaty enemies, I can't play FPS with this kind of response. But for people that don't care, sure will be fun.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Still not really into it just yet, but I'm hoping I dig it more than I'm currently feeling. Watching footage, it looks solid because Arkane and all, but it doesn't look TOO different compared to other games that share similar gameplay. I hope I'm wrong and it's awesome. Looking forward to giving it a shot.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I really hope this turns out great, Dishonored was one of my favorite new series from the PS3/360 gen

Deathloop was interesting but I fell off of it after a little while so I’ll try this on GamePass but I’m just not hyped for it like I would be for more Dishonored

MOTM

Banned
Graphics are whatever but the game looks great. Also being Arkane you know the world and story are going to be top notch. Was hoping for a March release but this will do.

Killer8

I like the setting and the tone of the game. There is an air of mystery around it and it has a spooky vibe that something like Left 4 Dead had in its down moments. But I am just completely bored with all of the gameplay I see and there is a dearth of new ideas. It looks like every other FPS game I have played over the last few decades (loot, Crysis cloaking, a sliding mechanic, crouch to stealth™, bullet sponge Destiny bosses, storytelling written in blood on walls). Perhaps it plays better than it looks and I may enjoy it when I get my hands on the controller, and I will since it's on Game Pass, but nothing they show is convincing me this is going to be a noteworthy entry in the genre.

Last edited:

Forsythia

So NOW I can see it's not a L4D clone, but more like FarCry/Borderlands. Nice. Graphics don't look too great to be honest, but that's my only issue so far.

Kacho

Gold Member
The ONLY complaint I had about REDFALL was that the gun combat didn't seem as punchy as a title like this needs to be.
Gunplay looks like your typical Arkane game. Nothing to write home about but it’s serviceable.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
These coop shooters last about a month and everyone moves on. So sick of these. How’s back for blood everyone?

So you're just not interested at all in what the game actually is, and are okay criticizing the game for what you think it is. Peak internet.

Gunplay looks like your typical Arkane game. Nothing to write home about but it’s serviceable.

That's a good point. I thought for DL and PREY the gunplay was. . .okay, it just really wasn't the point in either of those (definitely the same in DH). As long as it doesn't distract I suppose it'll be fine.

Yeah remember that tiny franchise, borderlands?

Right? It's so wild just how disinterested people are in actually forming opinions on some games based on what the game is actually trying to be. Imagine watching that entire presentation and coming away with "BACK 4 BLOOD" as the clear genre brother of REDFALL.

. . .tiresome is what it is.

This actually convinced me it may be a great game. Definitely has a unique vibe and some destiny co-op type hooks.

Looking forward to trying it out on GamePass, hope it’s good

Flabagast

Urgh, Prey 2 (first one was game of the generation contender) was killed for this...

I dont know any sane person who is not disappointed by this.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Arkane is easily, easily in my top 3 all-time favorite videogame developers and I wish nothing but good fortune upon them but man, I gotta say I'm not feeling this.

Atmosphere is aces, but none of the gameplay or its mechanics seem interesting or innovative at all.

[co-op] looter-shooters..

iu

MiguelItUp

These coop shooters last about a month and everyone moves on. So sick of these. How’s back for blood everyone?
To be fair, Back 4 Blood isn't a great example. Their marketing bit off more than they could chew, especially since it attracted a lot of L4D players, and the game had weaker mechanics than L4D 1&2, lol. Vermintide 1&2, Darktide, and Deep Rock Galactic are better examples IMO.

But I'm there with you. Aside from a few differences here and there, there's a lot of them. I think that's why there's a part of me that feels hesitant with Redfall. From my perspective, the only thing that's "different" is the collection of mechanics we've experienced in other similar games, and vampires.
Yeah remember that tiny franchise, borderlands?
Great franchise with good potential until Gearbox ran it into the ground IMO.

Mozzarella

Looks fun, but something about it looks generic, i can't really explain what it is.
It's similar to Deathloop world design, an open world island with different sections, meh I'd prefer the Dishonored way over this, but we take those anyway.

dorkimoe

So you're just not interested at all in what the game actually is, and are okay criticizing the game for what you think it is. Peak internet.

That's a good point. I thought for DL and PREY the gunplay was. . .okay, it just really wasn't the point in either of those (definitely the same in DH). As long as it doesn't distract I suppose it'll be fine.

Right? It's so wild just how disinterested people are in actually forming opinions on some games based on what the game is actually trying to be. Imagine watching that entire presentation and coming away with "BACK 4 BLOOD" as the clear genre brother of REDFALL.

. . .tiresome is what it is.
am I wrong that it’s a coop shooter? I don’t think so.. I didn’t say the game was gonna suck. I’m saying it’ll be dead in 2 months just like back 4 blood, just like evolve.

I will not watch another video about this game, and I'll play it at launch. Watching Deathloop stuff before it released is why I sat on it for a year. Deathloop ended up being one of my favorite games last year and I actually really hope Arkane Lyon is making a sequel that fully ties it to Dishonored.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
am I wrong that it’s a coop shooter? I don’t think so.. I didn’t say the game was gonna suck. I’m saying it’ll be dead in 2 months just like back 4 blood, just like evolve.

Why does a single-player game with co-op care what the game population is? You're being wildly non-specific in the genre of games you are lumping in with REDFALL.

Looks fun, but something about it looks generic, i can't really explain what it is.
It's similar to Deathloop world design, an open world island with different sections, meh I'd prefer the Dishonored way over this, but we take those anyway.

DL had more in common with DH than it does with RF in terms of level design. DL had open world segments, just like DH. From this presentation RF is a straight up full open-world more akin to FARCRY in terms of connectivity.

Azurro

Banned
I watched the trailer out of curiosity, because I don't think I'm ever going to get an Xbox but, I don't know, that writing is tragic. Looks like it could be a neat game though.

Flabagast

Arkane makes solid games but I always feel like they're not daring enough. They're a Microsoft first-party studio but this looks like just a step above an indie game. I'm sure it'll be decent to good but I wish Arkane would really push the envelope because they seem capable of greatness but never push it far enough.
Euh have you played Prey ?

In terms of narration, game & level design it is easily one of the most ambitious games of last gen.

Redfall looks very mid & quasi AA like however, I agree with you. Most probably because Prey bombed unfortunately.

Denton

I was skeptical after first reveal but this actually looks great - I am sure in singleplayer it will have great atmosphere and I will enjoy exploring that small time USA vampire infested town a TON. No doubt the gameplay and worldbuilding will be top notch as always with Arkane.

Cool environments but the gameplay continues to look underwhelming to me 4 player co-op will hopefully make it a blast to play

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
The actual shooting looks bad and that's a big problem for me seeing as how it's a shooting game first. The guns have no weight, the enemies barely flinch when you hit them and show no sort of damage that would indicate they are being torn apart by searing hot bullets. No joke, watch the Goldeneye trailer and see how the enemies react depending on the location of the bullet entry and then compare that 20 year old game to this. Arkane is amazing but this one has me all sorts of worried.

Top Bottom