• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Redfall isn't Arkane's Left 4 Dead – it's the studio's spin on Far Cry' - GameRadar info/interview

R6Rider

Gold Member
But They’ve released interview after interview where they’ve stated the game is an Arkane game through and through, and will have the Arkane flair familiar to their fans, just in a much more ambitious package.

I guess the real question is why you don’t believe them.
For me it's because nothing they have shown gives me the same vibe as Dishonored, Prey, or even Deathloop. You could swap another developer logo into the trailers for this game and I'd believe it.

Plus the whole loot system they are going with. I don't like tiered loot systems or looter shooters in general.
-
I love Arkane games and was excited for their next title and what I've seen so far has been very disappointing.

Denton

That sounds great - I am sure Arkane will do much more interesting Far Cry than Ubisoft can manage (and I still enjoy Far Cry from time to time).

Chukhopops

Arcane isn't mainstream, but they're literally making a game right now that wants to be mainstream but can't because xbox is shitty promoting it.
And since you decided to poke around in my message history, you could read most of the context of this where I say that Arcane is one of my favorite studios
But why do this if you can just reply to my post with some nonsense
Again, Sony promoted Deathloop several times and it flopped worse than any previous Arkane games despite being very highly rated. It’s just not the kind of game that attracts everyone.

The best promotion is, and I say it without any irony, putting the game on GP day 1 and I think it might be big for Arkane if the game is as good as their previous ones.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Huh, reading that, it sounds good.

They aren't saying it's a Far Cry clone... they were just pointing out it's a big open world w/ different places to battle, not a horde mechanic game.

Sounds like Microsoft needs to break out the couch and have developers sit and talk about the game.
Couch talk marketing. Thanks, I hate it.

I'm not saying I wish the game was like Left 4 Dead, but, oh god, not another Far Cry. I admit I'm biased since I only recognize Far Cry 1 as an enjoyable game for me, but still, why does it have to be Arkane's Xerox Copy of ANY game, why not do something that makes its own mark? Good luck to the devs and the success of the game, even if there's a good chance I'll try it out on GP and discover it doesn't appeal to me.
Redfall sometimes feels like what you'd get if you blended the Arkane creative values with Far Cry 2 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.,"

where are you getting 'xerox copy' from? personally, i feel that arkane's accomplished enough at this point to be cut a little slack until we've seen more of what's in store...

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

All I keep thinking is they should have made a game where you are a vampire and get cool abilities.

That’s basically dishonored

sachos

I actually thought it was going to be another coop 4 vs horde shooter so this is goods news to me at least. I just hope you can actually play offline, coop shooters tend to die more than live and if its online only then its a ticking time bomb. I loved Dishonored so i hope they do great with this one.

Last edited:

ungalo

Initially had zero hype but i'm getting more interested with the latest presentations.

It seems closer to Prey than what i thought at first. The structure appeals to me more than the skimpy Deathloop.

The fact they mentioned STALKER especially in regard to the dynamic events that occur in the open world is also positive.

Kurotri

Reading that article actually made me more hopeful for this game. The Far Cry influence is also a plus for me since I like these games. Hope they pull this off, especially since I couldn't stomach Deathloop after 2 hours, just wasn't for me at all.
Oh and for those who are kinda worried about Arkane's direction, Harvey Smith says this : "I think we will eventually go back to the very sealed immersive sim-like environments,".

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

'Redfall isn't Arkane's Left 4 Dead​

And thank Christ for that. Also, what smooth brain was thinking this? This game has ALWAYS read as "Borderlands with vampires and Arkane immersive gameplay" to me.

Sounds wishy washy as hell vs their marketing. Like they walked back the co-op stuff mid-dev.

. . .huh? This isn't true at all. From the get-go this has always been a "co-op" game in the vein of - as mentioned - Borderlands - where, sure you can synergize with a full party, or you can just do the whole thing solo.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I watched the gameplay trailer again and if I'm honest I still see a Left 4 Dead clone. They need to show more and promote the game better.

IntentionalPun

aCEr5c7.png

In what world these games are comparable??

I think he's actually suggesting it's a mix of Far Cry 2, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R + the typical Arkane stuff. He's not comparing Far Cry 2 to STALKER he's actually meaning to differentiate them there in that sentence .

He stated essentially that it's like Far Cry 2 in that, it sounds like, it's "map" and how you traverse an open world is similar. I think he also seems to be suggesting the map is a similar size (not really huge by today's standard, but still a big open world):

You're in a big-ass open world," enthuses Bare. "We have a home base where you can talk to NPCs and get side-quests. You can go to the mission table and pick up story-driven missions. Or you can not give a shit about any of that and just head outside; pick a direction, start hauling ass, and run into the living-world stuff that we have going on."

How is it like other Akane games? Well they implied the world is still full of little areas that are like the "levels" in Arkane's other games would be in their other games (and to some extent, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

"You'll want to see if you can get into a barn you found, climb a fire lookout tower that you spotted in the distance, or try and get into a house to read all the notes scattered inside," Smith continues, explaining that you'll still have the freedom to approach missions, areas, and in-world locations with the same curiosity and ingenuity as you could in Dishonored or Prey.

You don't see that in Far Cry 2.

How is it like S.T.A.L.K.E.R? Well they mention time is an element, and day night cycles for instance:

"The sun sets and the sun rises, and we have different times of the day," says Smith. "It changes the feel of the game radically."

It seems like the only real comparison they were making to Far Cry 2 was just in it's open world structure.. hence why they bring up STALKER for it's gameplay and "Systems", and of course past Arkane games for their level design.

All in all, goof stuff.

People knee-jerk reacting to "Far Cry" really should just read the article. If they actually have interest at least, most of this forum is not interested in games but WARRRZZ.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I think the game has definite potential, it's one of the reasons I'm strongly considering getting a Series X this year.

Arkane needs it's own Sonic Cycle.

1) Arkane game is announced and trailer/gameplay is shown.
2) People either dismiss it, trash it, call it uninspired, or simply underestimate it.
3) Game comes out and ends up being an underrated gem of the year that's really fun to play.

Admittedly, this probably means that they need a better trailer/showcase department because that's who keeps dropping the ball here.

IntentionalPun

2) People either dismiss it, trash it, call it uninspired, or simply underestimate it.
3) Game comes out and ends up being an underrated gem of the year that's really fun to play.

Admittedly, this probably means that they need a better trailer/showcase department because that's who keeps dropping the ball here.

Honestly what they probably need is to make an open world game lol

And they are.

This game sounds more and more fucking amazing the more I learn about it. It's PERFECTLY made for a guy like me who prefers to play by myself and would be opposed to playing with others for fear that they might ruin my ability to experience and fully enjoy the story.

Nobody cares about this game
Even Xbox
Latest trailer was watched by a meager number of people.
They could bring more attention to her by showing another trailer at TGA
But why
After all, you can make your own analogue of State Of Play, which will be watched by 30 times less people than TGA
Or maybe 50 times less
I hope this game gets good ratings otherwise it will just die and the gamepass won't help

Game Pass makes game reviews more and more meaningless. Look at High on Life. People can try new games with very little upfront risk. That's why this game will succeed and do very well in the Game Pass era.

feynoob

Banned

Basically high on life pull. People understimated, then turned out to be super fun.

EDMIX

It's something like Forspoken
Nobody cares about this game, but at least Sony is trying to promotion it (and Square Enix)
I'm literally sick of Forspoken
In the case of this game, they don't even try to advertise it.
Apparently Microsoft's entire advertising budget will go to Starfield this year, otherwise I have no idea..

Forespoken looks like it can be a great JRPG you buy used 1 to 2 years later lol

I don't think its looks bad, simply I haven't seen enough to care that much and will buy it used so I don't have a huge expectation or something.

Fredrik

Huh, they actually made this game I’ve had no interest in what so ever sound interesting here. Sounds, not bad at all!

Neolombax

Why would you identify your game as another game? Wouldnt it be better to say your gamr is doing its own thing?

coffinbirth

And thank Christ for that. Also, what smooth brain was thinking this? This game has ALWAYS read as "Borderlands with vampires and Arkane immersive gameplay" to me.

. . .huh? This isn't true at all. From the get-go this has always been a "co-op" game in the vein of - as mentioned - Borderlands - where, sure you can synergize with a full party, or you can just do the whole thing solo.
Most people did, including gaming outlets. So much so that they went so far as to put out a five minute "Welcome to Redfall" trailer that implicitly stated it could be played solo, and wasn't a "squad-based shooter" like sites like Kotaku and Polygon suggested. The question, for me at least, that was answered in this interview, was would the other heroes be AI or not when playing solo ala L4D and the like, and they are not.

Salz01

They need to ditch the character designs. They look like a white dude that hates diversity made them.

MiguelItUp

But They’ve released interview after interview where they’ve stated the game is an Arkane game through and through, and will have the Arkane flair familiar to their fans, just in a much more ambitious package.

I guess the real question is why you don’t believe them.
That's fine, the same was said about Deathloop, and I haven't even touched that. Unsure if I ever will honestly.

Well, because I don't believe the words of any developer. I believe what I'm shown, and what's in the final product.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
This is Arkane we are talking about here folks. Put some respect on the name. Have they not earned any good-will with gamers? If not than what more do they need to do to get the benefit of the doubt here? I reserve my judgement for the final product and good or bad I can't wait for this.

GymWolf

If i have to chose the lesser evil, i prefer the structure of a far cry over these multyplayer zombie shooters tbh.

Every time i played single player campaigns for the latter, it was just a sad experience clearly made for multy.

Glad they called someone from ID for the gunplay, deathloop felt pretty meh gunplay wise.

Last edited:
I’m totally cool with an Arkane take on Farcry revolving around vampire hunting. Why not?

I’m 100% more interested in this now then when everyone was assuming it was like left for dead or whatever bullshit predictions people coming up with.

Last edited:
In a sense it's even worse.

Easy pass confirmed. Man, Arkane used to one of be my favorite devs.
Same here. Their desperation to become more mainstream is so miguided. What was wrong with the sales of the Dishonored series? They just need to set reasonable sales expectations for their niche immersive sim games and then set their budgets accordingly.

Top Bottom