• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall - Official Extended Gameplay and World Exploration Trailer from IGN Fan Fest 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member

Arkane Studios presents an extended look into the open-world map of Redfall, a city in Massachusetts that is overrun by vampires. Redfall's city is filled with abandoned buildings, safe rooms, loot to pick up, and unexplored territories that players will have the choice to infiltrate to try and take back from the vampire masses. We also get a look into how gameplay will work with special vampire slaying weapons, unnatural powers, and fighting special vampire types. Take a look at this extended gameplay and world exploration trailer for Redfall.

This is the accompanying video with more info and Q/A on the game.

- Vampires cannot be killed with just regular bullets, need something vampire specific like stakes or flares
- Despite being an open world, they have tried to make as many hand-crafted locations as possible.
- Game allows both fast paced shooter style and stealth based approaches to combat scenarios
- They didn't want to make a left 4 dead style game, they wanted to make something different with arkane's DNA.
- Focus is on world building. Was designed to be open world from the concept stage
- Reaffirm that solo is completely solo and you can play with up to 4 players if you want
- No tethering in co-op, so all 4 players can explore the world freely.
- No loading screens through the world.
- Safe houses will unlock neighborhoods/perks etc.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is the accompanying video with more info and Q/A on the game.

- Vampires cannot be killed with just regular bullets, need something vampire specific like stake guns or flares
- Despite being an open world, they have tried to make as many hand-crafted locations as possible.
- Game allows both fast paced shooter style and stealth based approaches to combat scenarios
- They didn't want to make a left 4 dead style game, they wanted to make something different with arkane's DNA. It's more likened to Far Cry.
- Focus is on world building. Was designed to be open world from the concept stage
- Reaffirm that solo is completely solo and you can play with up to 4 players if you want
- No tethering in co-op, so all 4 players can explore the world freely.
- No loading screens through the world.
- Safe houses will unlock neighborhoods/perks etc.
- Multiple difficulty modes

Bolded the best takeaway, a problem that many co-op games suffer.

Last edited:

ungalo

I'm skeptical on a lot of things but i'm pretty sure the open world map in general (art design, level design) is going to be great.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So the first minute reminded me of that haunted hotel in Vampire Bloodlines, then the colour explosion raped my mind and made me think this is some edgy Fortnite clone.

VN1X

Banned
Oooh sweet, going to give these a watch later. I know I'm probably the biggest Arkane fanboy (apologist) on the forum but they are honestly one of the few devs where I could just buy every single game blind.

I’m looking forward to seeing people play this one. Not getting it myself at launch but may look at it later on.

Elden Ring has spoiled me on hand crafted locations though. It’s making it tough going to other open world games now.

Untethered coop is a fucking huge win too!

Hot5pur

All I care about is if there is a way to co-op the entire campaign with a friend with each person having the same experience.
If not, then call it "limited" co-op.

It was developed by a different studio at the same time Deathloop was being developed, what are you talking about ?
Am I wrong ? No is this guy that is full of shit!

Same developers... please SFTU.
But even if they had enough manpower to have worked in both at "the same time", may statement stills... First game was shit, this game is just they trying to recycling that shit engine for a quick cashgrab.

yi7UjFK.png

HOmX3Jj.png

VN1X

Banned
This is clearly just a repurposed death loop engine... they are trying to make a buck and to make up for the failure of that shit game....

Dude this game will tank so hard that we're going to have more earthquakes... prepare your buildings...
Posts like these always make me forget I'm supposed to be on an adult enthusiast forum. Calling "Deathloop" a "shit game" is such an awful take lol.

VN1X

Banned
Am I wrong ? No is this guy that is full of shit!

Same developers... please SFTU.
But even if they had enough manpower to have worked in both at "the same time", may statement stills... First game was shit, this game is just they trying to recycling that shit engine for a quick cashgrab.
God forbid developers use other engines other than Unreal and its store bought assets lol. Is it Shit-take Saturday today or something? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also, even on my ageing rig Deathloop (and their previous games) ran more than fine. Granted, Dishonored 2 did suffer from more tech issues but definitely wasn't unplayable or anything, especially compared to any other AAA offerings.

DaGwaphics

They did a great job with the new trailer. Looking forward to it.

I wonder if you'll pick a character and stick with that or if you can swap characters for missions at safe houses (during solo play)?

Last edited:

DarthPutin

Everything sounds good, but for me art style kills it - I realized I just don't ever like this semi-stylized, cartoonish visual design. Same as Deathloop, albeit Deathloop was at least more stylish.

Dialogue does not inspire confidence either.

Also, vampires are almost always lame somehow. Even in rather tolerable GRRM's "Fevre Dream" the most impressive villain was human, not over the top vampire.

For gameplay-gameplay peeps it will be probably very enjoyable experience.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I would think that if you are making a shooter that the very most important thing to get right would be the shooting. I see better shooting from the 20+year old Goldeneye n64 re-release. No im not joking. The enemies in Goldeneye react better, the guns are punchier in Goldeneye, and the bullet sponginess looks off the charts for Redfall. This is just bad. I was looking forward to this as Arkane is amazing but I think this will come and go the same way Halo did, the same way Deathloop did, the same way Ghostwire did. I hope I am wrong and it feels better than it presents.

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
How does co op progression and leveling work ?

Like if I join a buddy on a mission I haven’t done, will I get the completion when I go back to my world ? If my buddy has better loot or levels, and joins my lower level run, will it sync him up to higher variant of enemies so it scales evenly ?

Odds are I’ll play solo but I am curious how they tackle these things.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
At 00:20, the dialogue --

"The sun ... is it only covered up here? Or is it dark everywhere else, too?"

Do they think every area/country/city has a different sun that needs to be covered up? 🤣

laughing GIF

As for the rest of the trailer - this game looks extremely underwhelming to me, gameplay-wise as well as visually, every time I see it. But good wishes to those who are looking forward to it. I hope y'all enjoy it. Have fun!

Top Bottom