• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall - Official Extended Gameplay and World Exploration Trailer from IGN Fan Fest 2023

Barakov

Spent many hours on deathloop and prey
ric flair man GIF

Can’t wait

kiphalfton

Honestly, did Arkane suffer some massive talent drain after Dishonored? Or are they being controlled by suits? I just do not understand how it has come to… this.

Also, all this talk about keeping their DNA suggests they know that they have lost exactly that.

Good thing I've only played Prey, and so still have a backlog of other Arkane games to look forward to that aren't Death Loop or this.

Fredrik

Looks better and sounds better since you can play it fully solo and it’s a hand-crafted world.
Still, it’s first-person. Not really my thing. But I’ll try it for sure.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
At 00:20, the dialogue --

"The sun ... is it only covered up here? Or is it dark everywhere else, too?"

Do they think every area/country/city has a different sun that needs to be covered up? 🤣

laughing GIF

As for the rest of the trailer - this game looks extremely underwhelming to me, gameplay-wise as well as visually, every time I see it. But good wishes to those who are looking forward to it. I hope y'all enjoy it. Have fun!
Wait. Do you think that when there is a solar eclipse, the entire world experiences it? When it gets darker when a cloud passes above you, you think it gets darker for everyone else in the world?

AntsaK2

Neo Member

Do they think every area/country/city has a different sun that needs to be covered up? 🤣

laughing GIF

As for the rest of the trailer - this game looks extremely underwhelming to me, gameplay-wise as well as visually, every time I see it. But good wishes to those who are looking forward to it. I hope y'all enjoy it. Have fun!
Son here is a diagram that explains the solar eclipse.

rvs6vHq.jpg

Riky

$MSFT
They did a great job with the new trailer. Looking forward to it.

I wonder if you'll pick a character and stick with that or if you can swap characters for missions at safe houses (during solo play)?
Pretty sure they said you only get one character per play through, you can't change.

Some of the weapons look amazing like that bone rifle, really liking that the Vampires need a specific class of weapon to kill also.

Also the story telling aspect if you chose to look for it looks great, each building having its own tale on what happened was one of the great aspects of classics like Bioshock, happy they've put a lot of time into this for this playing solo, really enjoy finding that sort of stuff.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

laughing GIF

I completely agree, this game needs more top tier dialogue...

...like.

"I'm just warming up...."

"You're on fire...but you probably knew that"

"Your covered in vampire blood...it'll shake off"

And constantly...constantly shouting

"In front of you, to the left of you...behind you....look there, to the right of you...LOOK OUT!"

Then it might hit a 94 metacritic.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Son here is a diagram that explains the solar eclipse.

rvs6vHq.jpg
lmao "son", so suddenly the implication here is that the black spot the vampires put in the sky is extremely close to the earth? (like the moon).

So the darkness will just vanish automatically in an hour or two like an eclipse? So what's the big deal? Just wait out an hour or two every day, and the darkness will just end?

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Honestly, did Arkane suffer some massive talent drain after Dishonored? Or are they being controlled by suits? I just do not understand how it has come to… this.

Also, all this talk about keeping their DNA suggests they know that they have lost exactly that.
The founder of Arkane left in 2017. He was director of Arx Fatalis, Dishonored, and Prey. Then Chris Avellone was a writer for Prey, and he is currently so in exile that he is not allowed at inexile. Dishonored had Austin Grossman, who wrote Deus Ex, but is somehow not that well known for it.

Wildebeest

laughing GIF

You don't understand. The sun being covered is an allegory for late stage capitalism, which is everywhere. It's actually very clever, y'all.

You don't understand. The sun being covered is an allegory for late stage capitalism, which is everywhere. It's actually very clever, y'all.

There is a lot of thought and care that goes into these games.

Never seen an Arkane game that didn't had cracking writing.

You do have to work to get to it though.

Alebrije

I like Arcane games but this one looks a little different, will wait for release and see some gameplay videos...

I'm sure it's a combination of losing a bunch of key, founding talent AND being bought out by Bethesda/Microsoft. Their modestly budgetted and modestly purchased games are no longer good enough when you're apart of a conglomerate and you're expected to sell millions upon millions. I'm sure they're getting pushed into this more simplified, mainstream fair.

Last edited:

Doom85

Wait. Do you think that when there is a solar eclipse, the entire world experiences it? When it gets darker when a cloud passes above you, you think it gets darker for everyone else in the world?

Little known fact: Heisenberg was one of the writers for Season 1 of NBC’s show Heroes.

Another writer: “So how do all our leads get their powers?”
Heisenberg: “A solar eclipse!”
Another writer: “But wait, that’s fine for some of the characters, but not everyone. Hiro is in Japan right now, for example.”
Heisenberg: “…why exactly is this an issue?”
Another writer: “…so the series that has a bunch of narration from a scientist will be scientifically nonsensical right off the bat, gotcha.”

Ozriel

M$FT

In this context, shrouding the city is practically the same as covering up the sun.
Feels like you’re going into hysterics over failed comprehension

Do we dare take this as a guarantee that you’ll stay out of Redfall threads in the future?

DaGwaphics

I think in a story where vampires are blocking out the sun and taking over a town, maybe you don't need to explain how that could happen in a scientific way. :messenger_beaming:

DaGwaphics

Pretty sure they said you only get one character per play through, you can't change.

Some of the weapons look amazing like that bone rifle, really liking that the Vampires need a specific class of weapon to kill also.

Also the story telling aspect if you chose to look for it looks great, each building having its own tale on what happened was one of the great aspects of classics like Bioshock, happy they've put a lot of time into this for this playing solo, really enjoy finding that sort of stuff.

The attention to detail looks great. The single player component is my main point of interest, so, I'm glad they seem to have given that a lot of thought as well.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is clearly just a repurposed death loop engine... they are trying to make a buck and to make up for the failure of that shit game....

Dude this game will tank so hard that we're going to have more earthquakes... prepare your buildings...
This game seems to be way larger in scope that Deathloop and open world and co-op are both big technical challenges that Arkane hasn't really tackled before so calling any of it repurposed is a pretty stupid thing to say.

It will bomb commercially, Arkane games always bomb commercially, but the people that love them love them. Deathloop was like an 89 on metacritic.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

laughing GIF
Do you not understand the concept of a shadow? Of course the sun can be blocked in one place and not another. It isn't like they went into space and built a sphere around the sun.

laughing GIF

Totes, man. Everyone has seen the Ted Talk where ND Tyson explained that when vampires are blocking out the sun in your city, the supernatural forces are prevented from working anywhere else. This game is completely unrealistic and I am canceling my preorder on GamePass.

sainraja

I am looking forward to playing the game. The weapon traits thing sounds like perks from Destiny 2 to me so that's a good thing and I saw a handgun in the trailer so that will be my main weapon if it feels good to use. :D

Sometimes I think if MS wouldn’t acquire Bethesda Deathloop would be one of the neo gaf favourites games /s
Take the fanboy goggles off. You will be able to see a lot more clearly. Some of you really need to give it a rest—and this goes for people on both sides, those that are now interested in this simply because it is an exclusive and those that are downplaying it now because it is an exclusive.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Take the fanboy goggles off. You will be able to see a lot more clearly. Some of you really need to give it a rest—and this goes for people on both sides, those that are now interested in this simply because it is an exclusive and those that are downplaying it now because it is an exclusive.

Where did you see people 'interested in this simply because it's an exclusive'?
It's an AAA game made by a respected developer. It's coming day one to GamePass. To a console many of you argue has a shortfall of AAA releases. That's more than enough for many to be interested.

You don't have to clumsily 'both-sides' everything, comparing excitement for a product with straight up console warring.

kyussman

Looks like the latest open world shooter.....I mean,what else can you say about this,lol.Games like Prey and Dishonored were so well designed,they had a lot of thought put into them.This looks so fucking generic and that art style is horrible.....remember how Dishonored looked with that watercolour style,beautiful stuff....fuck this game.(I'm sorry to be such a dick but I'm not gaming right now and I'm feeling a bit disillusioned with the whole industry.Stuff like this doesn't help,lol.....especially when I know what these devs have done in the past.It's like those great games didn't sell well so they stopped trying.....fucking shame).

GymWolf

Pretty cold after the last trailer.

Gunplay looks meh, graphic looks like mid ps4, and the vampires are too cartoony\stylized, cringe writing.

Still day one because of arkane, but i hope they fix at least the shooting.

winjer

Gold Member
Pretty cold after the last trailer.

Gunplay looks meh, graphic looks like mid ps4, and the vampires are too cartoony\stylized, cringe writing.

Still day one because of arkane, but i hope they fix at least the shooting.

Exactly my thoughts.
I'll probably try it on Gamepass, but I would not pay full price for this game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Finally started replaying DEATHLOOP and I'm totally sold on REDFALL. Like, I haven't been disappointed in any ARKANE game I've played and I'm not even gonna bother questioning this one: they want to make their crack at a FAR CRY looter shooter. .
I'm up for the ride after their last four homers.

I think in a story where vampires are blocking out the sun and taking over a town, maybe you don't need to explain how that could happen in a scientific way. :messenger_beaming:

Or. . .

Like their comment is spectacularly nit picky; it's obvious they were looking for something to complain about. That it came in less than a minute into the video is a gift to them.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Hope to be wrong about this but it feels a shame such a unique studio with interesting ideas like Prey and Dishonoured settles on doing an open world Far Cry like with dialogue that sounds like it was written by a 14 year old.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Hope to be wrong about this but it feels a shame such a unique studio with interesting ideas like Prey and Dishonoured settles on doing an open world Far Cry like with dialogue that sounds like it was written by a 14 year old.

For example? The first half of the trailer is a bunch of out of context "sizzle quotes" that every game uses to establish tone. . .and then the rest is pretty standard ARKANE fare: a story that doesn't take itself too seriously, but also manages to feel "adult."

I've watched that trailer a few times now and then level of detail alone makes this a title to check out. If the gun combat (which is the only thing I'm raising an eyebrow at) is at least not a drag on the usual ARKANE charm, this is going to be an incredibly fun jaunt. That they're trying to do their brand of immersive storytelling in a full open world really shouldn't come as a surprise as DEALTHLOOP, PREY and DISHONOURED weren't exactly small corridor shooters. If DH3 ever happens, you folks are kidding yourselves if you don't think they've at least thought about bringing that game into a large and seamless true open environment.

. . .just wild how this studio has to constantly "prove" itself with fans that, yes, they know how to make games.

acm2000

im gonna hazard a guess this was originally a cross gen title judging by its poor graphics, Arkane are one of those studios where, for me personally, the thought of playing their games is always much better than actually playing them, they just never click with me and im not sure why.

sainraja

Where did you see people 'interested in this simply because it's an exclusive'?
It's an AAA game made by a respected developer. It's coming day one to GamePass. To a console many of you argue has a shortfall of AAA releases. That's more than enough for many to be interested.

You don't have to clumsily 'both-sides' everything, comparing excitement for a product with straight up console warring.
The person I quoted is doing exactly what I was calling out. He was implying that Deathloop would be a NeoGAF favorite if it wasn't acquired by Microsoft. The implication there is pretty clear, lol. So, one can easily argue that his interest in this is simply because Microsoft is involved, but that would be stupid, just like the opposite of that is also stupid. He was using Deathloop to suggest that the same thing would happen to this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom