• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall - Official Extended Gameplay and World Exploration Trailer from IGN Fan Fest 2023

Ozriel

M$FT
The person I quoted is doing exactly what I was calling out. He was implying that Deathloop would be a NeoGAF favorite if it wasn't acquired by Microsoft. The implication there is pretty clear, lol. So, one can easily argue that his interest in this is simply because Microsoft is involved, but that would be stupid, just like the opposite of that is also stupid. He was using Deathloop to suggest that the same thing would happen to this.

You’re coming to some really strange conclusions. Because that reads to me like he’s saying some of the negative reaction to Deathloop was due to console warring.

For the record, I don’t agree with that take, since I watched real-time the exasperation with the repeat showings and the failure of the visuals to impress many here. But let’s not misconstrue the angle that person was going for.

sainraja

You’re coming to some really strange conclusions. Because that reads to me like he’s saying some of the negative reaction to Deathloop was due to console warring.

For the record, I don’t agree with that take, since I watched real-time the exasperation with the repeat showings and the failure of the visuals to impress many here. But let’s not misconstrue the angle that person was going for.
I don't see how it was a strange conclusion. He did say Deathloop would be a NeoGAF favorite if it wasn't acquired by Microsoft, what he was implying is clear to me. He makes the same kind of posts all over...maybe I shouldn't have taken the bait but it's pretty clear what angle the person was going for.

Last edited:
Spent many hours on deathloop and prey
ric flair man GIF

Can’t wait

Get that shit out of here. The Nature Boy Rick Flair, would never Woooo! Enthusiastically for this tripe.

FBeeEye

Banned
well a certain group of people who prefer a certain console suddenly decided that arcane is terrible, but it’s hard to say why!
It's like all of a sudden Bethdesda became a trash indie developer. Starfield threads are the same. Just FUD and concern trolling through and through. To be honest, I didn't care about Deathloop and Redfall isn't my jam, but I find the negativity odd. Especially considering all of the "big" games people are looking forward to this year are sequels or derivative titles. Nothing new and revolutionary.

I do hate the characters in Redfall, though. They seem focus-grouped to death to appeal to the Fortnite generation. If the characters were a little more interesting or relatable, or they had a character creator, I would have been more interested. I enjoyed Dishonored, but these characters remind me of the ones in the Saints Row flop.

Dutchy

Most uninspired and bland looking AAA game I've seen in a really long time. Everything about this screams mediocrity and I'm geniunely surprised that they didn't scrap or reboot this one entirely.

R6Rider

Gold Member
So I really enjoyed Deathloop, and while the marketing got annoying, the style is fun and charming, the world and setup is unique and funny.

This is just kinda bland. Hard to explain.
Same thoughts and then add on the fact they went the looter shooter route.

I'm neutral on Arkane, and I've actually never played any of their games yet. For me it just comes down to the names.

Deathpoop
Redfail

Deathpoop just sounds way, way better when you're trying to shitpost.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Can’t wait to play it in coop.
I love the setting, the mood.
The characters not so much but if the gameplay is good , it won’t matter to me.

RGB'D

I'm hyped. Arkane has never let me down and I'm hoping my buddies will be into it. Is it crossplay?

McCrank

Cannot stand whatever this Fortnite art style is called... Purple ladders and pink dumpsters laying around...Instant turnoff.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I do hate the characters in Redfall, though. They seem focus-grouped to death to appeal to the Fortnite generation. If the characters were a little more interesting or relatable, or they had a character creator, I would have been more interested. I enjoyed Dishonored, but these characters remind me of the ones in the Saints Row flop.

Why? Legit question too, as we've seen nothing but character models about ANY of these characters. Like, other than the way they are voiced and designed, what could possibly suggest these characters have been "focus-grouped to death?"

And if we are going off the character design, there's nothing about the characters that place them outside of ARKANE's typical character development. These characters have ARKANE DNA in them, through and through.

. . .FUD indeed.

I'm hyped. Arkane has never let me down and I'm hoping my buddies will be into it. Is it crossplay?

This is what I find the most wild: folks commenting in this thread must know the developer and their history, so its a little wacky all the hand wringing about "the characters" or "the gameplay" given what a pretty solid track record ARKANE has (including DEATHLOOP which, while I can get the game may not be folks cup of tea or not at all what they expect - I view it as "MYST x GROUNDHOG DAY w/ GUNS" - is still a pretty well made and, most importantly, fun game).

This could totally bomb creatively, but if ARKANE says they want to take a stab at open-world shenanigans, I'm confident they are going to at a minimum try and avoid the usual pitfalls of the genre, especially if it has even a TINY bit of their approach to environmental storytelling (finding all the nooks and crannies in the small but tight DEATHLOOP maps has been a damn treat).

This seems pretty fun imho.

It's releasing at a really bad time though. Games are packed in this period.

Would be perfect as an October game.

Everything is gonna be a bad time this year, no way around it. Maybe middle of summer but this isn’t a summer game.

I’m thinking october fall is gonna start getting stacked up as well

Riky

$MSFT
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4GT...rap-up?utm_source=Community&utm_medium=Social

Some interesting points,

"Yes, you can definitely play with your friends on Steam friends on Game Pass"

Good news.

"
Difficulty scaling is dynamic in Redfall. There are several factors being considered at all times. For solo play, you’re starting off with your campaign difficulty level, which scales as you progress through the campaign. For co-op, we’re considering your campaign progress and difficulty still, but also looking at the number of players. Depending on the size of your party, you’ll see changes in the sorts of enemies you encounter, how strong they are compared to solo, and the frequency of elite traits. Those aren’t blanket changes either. Some encounters are always going to be easier or harder than others and some may not change at all. But that's the point, things should feel more challenging because you have more players, but it isn’t a flat multiplier by any means.
"

Definitely going to be worth playing solo and then in co-op.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The reception of this game vs Deathloop reception is pretty interesting. I wonder why there's such a difference?
Deathloop was also met with a great deal of general confusion about what it is. I don't think either game has been marketed well.

Redfall looks like a way more ambitious game though. I think strong reviews will help assuage some skepticism.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Honestly, did Arkane suffer some massive talent drain after Dishonored? Or are they being controlled by suits? I just do not understand how it has come to… this.

Also, all this talk about keeping their DNA suggests they know that they have lost exactly that.
This is made by Arkane Austin, so it's not the same team as Dishonored or Deathloop, it's the Prey guys.

And I will say I think both Arkane teams are really talented, but there are certain things I think Arkane Lyon is much better at, namely art direction and world building. I feel that in this one and it might be why it doesn't show as well in trailers.

But everything I read about how this game plays and what they're trying to do sounds amazing so I'm still pretty bullish on it.

Top Bottom