• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall - Official Into the Night Trailer

Is the art direction of Arkane games the reason for the hate? I do wonder if this was aiming for a more realistic look it would be getting a much more favourable reaction 🤔

samoilaaa

I absolutely adore Arkane, and the Dishonored games rank right up there with Deus Ex for me. This, however, I just don’t get at all.
well they said that redfall will have everything that made dishonored and prey good games , if they will have that same freedom to aproaching missions as those games and a decent story i will be very satisfied

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This is Unreal Engine 5 and based on that, that artstyle looks absolutely awful considering its technical features.
What i am seeing is quite literally something UE4 can do aswell. I don't know, this reminds me of Dead Alliance in terms of artstyle. Meaning its rather bland.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is Unreal Engine 5 and based on that, that artstyle looks absolutely awful considering its technical features.
What i am seeing is quite literally something UE4 can do aswell. I don't know, this reminds me of Dead Alliance in terms of artstyle. Meaning its rather bland.

Art style has nothing to do with technical features ... Fortnite has migrated to UE5 and it still has that same shitty art style.

UE5 isn’t really that big of a leap from later versions of 4 anyway, so I’m not sure what features you feel are underutilized. Lumen is basically shit for anything but landscape at this point, and nanite is hardly a game changer other than resource saving. Niagara is even 4.

Last edited:
I loved Prey, Dishonored, Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider. I didn't think this looked great at first, mostly because I don't care for the vampire theme stuff, but I'm warming up to it. I thought Deathloop looked meh but I'm playing it right now and I'm having an absolute blast with it.

It’s not exactly a looker, though. Not everything has to be a showcase, but a first party exclusive, and with their late-gen efforts being quite stunning… feels like it’s in its place to expect more.

Edit: removed hyperbole

Last edited:

kiphalfton

no problem , go back to waiting for god of war ragnarok , we arkane fans enjoy actual good level design and environmental storytelling

You didn't answer my question, but okay.

What in the trailer indicates there's any story telling? Level design looks totally uninspired compared to other Arkane games, say for instance Prey.

i know what an Arkane game entails, and this doesn't seem to really capture any of that.

mdkirby

Dishonoured and prey are amongst my favorite games, but I’m realllly not feeling redfall. I’m just hoping it’s terrible marketing that is misrepresenting the actual feel of the game in some attempt to capture some of the Fortnite crowd.

Guardians of the galaxy had pretty crap marketing but turned out great, so you never know.

drotahorror

no problem , go back to waiting for god of war ragnarok , we arkane fans enjoy actual good level design and environmental storytelling

That's bullshit. Dishonored, it's DLC and PREY are god-tier. Dishonored 2 was still solid (haven't played the expansion).

Redfall looks bad graphically for one, the art design is nothing compared to Dishonored. The flashlights don't even cause dynamic shadows, something Silent Hill 2 and countless others have done for decades now.

The combat looks jank, nothing looks smooth at all. The hit reactions are basically non-existent*, there's none or hardly any blood (is this a dark horror themed game that's rated E for everyone?). Look at this combat encounter (time stamp 1:16) -

This mother fucker is gettin blasted with some sort of modded shotty and is not even flinching. Not til they do a 'glory kill' would you even know the enemy is injured. *There are some hit reactions on the enemies after the first one though, I'll give it that.

The game just looks budget as hell in multiple aspects.

Last edited:
I think they figure there is no point in announcing a release date or release window because they might have to move it again so why set themselves up for a delay again.

Most of the people that will be playing this will be doing so with Game pass so its not like they need to announced a date to get pre-orders.
Fair point!

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Art style has nothing to do with technical features ...
No, but more modern features can make a bland artstyle feel less bland due to additional post processing.

Redfall just severly underutilizes UE5.
UE5 isn’t really that big of a leap from later versions of 4 anyway, so I’m not sure what features you feel are underutilized.
You list the things i would mention later. The Matrix Awakens isnt on UE4.

Lumen is basically shit for anything but landscape at this point,
Based on what? Just you saying this isnt a fact.

and nanite is hardly a game changer other than resource saving.
Again based on what?

Switch game...
I mean Earthfall is on Switch (and PC and other consoles obviously) and does not look too dissimilar:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, but more modern features can make a bland artstyle feel less bland due to additional post processing.

Redfall just severly underutilizes UE5

Yes I don't think it uses any of the fancier features like Nanite or Lumen. It must have been in development since very early phases of the engine, or even maybe started as a UE4 game converted to UE5 some time in the middle of development.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Kinda looks like FEAR, not so much gameplay wise but the flashlight and indoor settings.

Edit- After watching it again, I'd definitely play it if I had an XBOX but it also looks janky as shit, lol. The enemy attacks in the attic...

It reminds me of that Western style horror FPS that's releasing soon. That game looks better though IMO.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Love Arkane so I'm optimistic. Not sure I get the hate (except for obvious reasons). I think a better story trailer would help. I get the premise of the game, but maybe flesh out the purpose of it all. Either way, so far the gameplay look great.

EDMIX

smh, this looks like the last X360 game lol

Why they have that 70's font for? lol

I'm pissed as I wish this was just a single player focused thing, I'm going to skip this.

giphy.gif

gothmog

Gold Member
Redfall is an open world game with a story, skill trees, side quests. Comparing it with L4D is non sense.
Most people would not know that from the trailer. It does have a similar look and feel to L4D. I'm interested because it is Arkane, but not everyone is going to know that.

Chukhopops

Every time they show this game it looks a little better. I don’t know if it will be good as a live service but I’m confident playing the story is going to be a blast.

I just hope it’s out before May because during the summer I’ll be playing Zelda.

Top Bottom