• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall - Official Story Trailer Released

clarky

Gold Member
Man Arkane used to be one of my favorite devs, with lore-rich, deep narrative immersive sims. Even Deathloop was pretty likable I would say.

But this, this... it makes me so so so sad. Who asked for another Fornite looking zoomer shooter ?

Let's hope Arkane Lyon keeps the flame alive...
Good impressions ill probably cancel gamepass, saved me a dollar. I take it you were at the event and have played it?

Jadsey

Hoping for the best because I truly love Arkane.

But it sure looks like a straight-to-GamePass game right now.

Please be good!!!

Kvally

Banned
The visuals are honestly the least of my concerns with this, or most games. If it's actually clear and readable, then hopefully the gameplay will be fun.
So if a game isn't a graphical showcase, like say Gears of War, then it's not worthy of our time? Seems like some people think that way. High on Life was no graphical masterpiece, but my god did I enjoy the shit out of it.

"It's got people in it with guns and vampires, so it must be like Back 4 Blood" 🤡

At least you got one thing right.

Every.single.time.without.fail... Like clockwork...
I'm not even surprised any more.

Its either you, Hendricks, Aces High (which got banned), catlady and a couple of others (you're not that many) in here that without fail, you keep shitting on this forum with your constant need to shut others when it comes to your favorite plastic.box , seriously man, grow the fuck up because I don't think that I'm the only one in here tired by your pathetic and constant fanboyism and MS damage control, I mean, it was kinda funny at first but nowadays you're just needlessly irritating and annoying, maybe you're depressed, I don't know, thing is, if you feel the need to keep responding to other users opinions which are different than yours - in a discussion forum of all places - maybe you need to reevaluate A) your life, B) your manners and C) both.

Your sole purpose in here is to keep doing damage control for...a multi-trillion company - I don't know if that tells you anything but it sure does to me.

Love you

Kvally

Banned
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

ungalo

Its either you, Hendricks, Aces High (which got banned), catlady and a couple of others (you're not that many) in here that without fail, you keep shitting on this forum with your constant need to shut others when it comes to your favorite plastic.box , seriously man, grow the fuck up because I don't think that I'm the only one in here tired by your pathetic and constant fanboyism and MS damage control, I mean, it was kinda funny at first but nowadays you're just needlessly irritating and annoying, maybe you're depressed, I don't know, thing is, if you feel the need to keep responding to other users opinions which are different than yours - in a discussion forum of all places - maybe you need to reevaluate A) your life, B) your manners and C) both.

Your sole purpose in here is to keep doing damage control for...a multi-trillion company - I don't know if that tells you anything but it sure does to me.

Love you
i agree but he's still right, the Back 4 Blood comparison was dumb

Love you
All Hendrick's Hendrick's said is that he's excited about the game and thinks it looks good, and thinks MS is going to have a good year (Starfield is coming out this year). You can disagree of course, but no need to insult him. Is no one allowed to be excited about this game? That's kind of what you're getting at, because that's literally all he said. People are free to not be into the game, but why make it personal? I've never had a problem with you, or Hendricks, or O Ozriel . If we just talk about the game, then all opinions are welcome.

i agree but he's still right, the Back 4 Blood comparison was dumb

Unga, let me phrase it differently : When I say that it's the next Back 4 blood I don't mean it gameplay-wise.
It just looks so utterly mediocre, soulless and with no lasting appeal that it will share the same fate with B4B.
Remember B4B mate ? the game which sold for 100 eurodollars for the special edition, with tons of promised content only for it to bomb and be forgotten after a couple of months.

As for this game : if a co-op shooter, with...VAMPIRES, lackluster graphics, lackluster animations, lack of oomph when it comes to the shooting can't be deemed utterly generic and boring I don't know what else to say.
The fact that it's made by Arkane doesn't tell me anything, this feels absolutely rushed, and while Dishonored 1 and 2 were cool , Deathloop wasn't, in fact it was incredibly divisive as a game.As for Prey, people in here liked apparently but for me it was a snore fest, and yet, it still is miles ahead when it comes to the atmosphere and art direction compared to Redfall.

My personal opinion, we don't have to agree all the time, that's where I'm getting at.

cheers

Ozriel

M$FT

Love you

I posted TWO sentences.

One to say that the 'Back 4 Blood' comparison made no sense since it's one of the first things Arkane refuted with multiple showings. Refuted so thoroughly that not even the dedicated trolls say it again. You're pretty much the only person making that comparison in this thread....compared to the initial showings where it was commonplace to make that mistake.

Second sentence to point out how ludicrous it is for you to insinuate that people who are positive about the game are only doing that for console war reasons.

Every single time, you reach for 'damage control'. You keep using that phrase without knowing what it means. Where's the 'damage' I'm supposed to be resolving in this situation?

RedFall isn't above critique. I don't like the visuals, for example, and i'm not sure you'll find a single comment from me in this forum praising the visuals. Also perfectly happy to criticize MS when they screw up.

Last edited:
All Hendrick's Hendrick's said is that he's excited about the game and thinks it looks good, and thinks MS is going to have a good year (Starfield is coming out this year). You can disagree of course, but no need to insult him. Is no one allowed to be excited about this game? That's kind of what you're getting at, because that's literally all he said. People are free to not be into the game, but why make it personal? I've never had a problem with you, or Hendricks, or O Ozriel . If we just talk about the game, then all opinions are welcome.

Miku, no need for a tag-team mate, besides , there's a specific reason why those 3-4 users got mentioned, their only purpose in here is to either pat each other's back, or, showing up only in these threads where there's a Microsoft/Xbox association, you can't even begin to express a personal opinion in these threads 'cause - without fail - these users will pop up just to do damage control, that my dude I can't do, I'm here to talk about games and tech, not to get quoted every time by triggered users each and every time papa Phil's products are mentioned.

GymWolf

It continue to look ok\good at best.

Still day one because of arkane, hopefully the story is gonna be more interesting than the premise.

ungalo

Unga, let me phrase it differently : When I say that it's the next Back 4 blood I don't mean it gameplay-wise.
It just looks so utterly mediocre, soulless and with no lasting appeal that it will share the same fate with B4B.
Remember B4B mate ? the game which sold for 100 eurodollars for the special edition, with tons of promised content only for it to bomb and be forgotten after a couple of months.
I mean yeah most games are quickly forgotten, it has great chances to be the case here. But i think despite appearances B4B might be leaning more on the game as a service model than Redfall. It's true that the forced online connexion and the special edition thing is not helping the game.

But B4B was some kind of opportunistic try to appeal to the former Left 4 Dead fanbase by the guys who are known in fact not so much for L4D but for one of the worst economic model ever made with Evolve (and published by Warner). While Redfall is Arkane just trying to do something that appeals to a bigger audience after several commercial fails while trying to retain as much of their DNA as possible (and not feeding on any trademark). And developed before the acquisition in a context where Bethesda games were really struggling commercially in general. I don't think it deserves as much hate and i think if you look past the first impression it can still be an Arkane game at its core (perhaps i'll be proven wrong).

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Miku, no need for a tag-team mate, besides , there's a specific reason why those 3-4 users got mentioned, their only purpose in here is to either pat each other's back, or, showing up only in these threads where there's a Microsoft/Xbox association, you can't even begin to express a personal opinion in these threads 'cause - without fail - these users will pop up just to do damage control, that my dude I can't do, I'm here to talk about games and tech, not to get quoted every time by triggered users each and every time papa Phil's products are mentioned.

Really? This week alone:
I have posts in the Steam Deck/Aya Neo thread , multiple posts in PSVR2 threads, multiple posts in VR related threads, posted in the Zelda ToTk thread...among others.

None of my posts in any of these threads is needlessly negative. To quote you, I'm visibly here to talk about games and tech. Post history backs me up. And I doubt I've ever done what you did in this thread with Hendrick's Hendrick's - go after an enthusiast for being enthusiastic about an upcoming game.

Cheers anyway.

It continue to look ok\good at best.

Very sure most of the lukewarm reaction to these trailers is because of the visuals. Not sure why MS hasn't realized that the mass market responds to spectacle and visuals. For example, the day the Ragnarok video dropped with Thor and Kratos clashing, twitter and my gaming groups were on fire.
Visuals go a long way to market games...especially for next gen consoles. I know it's not exactly Arkane's thing, but they really have to change tactics to get more commercial success.

Press previews release on the 22nd. Hopefully hands on impressions are good.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's funny that you are triggered by people being positive about Xbox. Seek help.

Kvally

Banned
Really? This week alone:
I have posts in the Steam Deck/Aya Neo thread , multiple posts in PSVR2 threads, multiple posts in VR related threads, posted in the Zelda ToTk thread...among others.

None of my posts in any of these threads is needlessly negative. To quote you, I'm visibly here to talk about games and tech. Post history backs me up. And I doubt I've ever done what you did in this thread with Hendrick's Hendrick's - go after an enthusiast for being enthusiastic about an upcoming game.

Cheers anyway.

Very sure most of the lukewarm reaction to these trailers is because of the visuals. Not sure why MS hasn't realized that the mass market responds to spectacle and visuals. For example, the day the Ragnarok video dropped with Thor and Kratos clashing, twitter and my gaming groups were on fire.
Visuals go a long way to market games...especially for next gen consoles. I know it's not exactly Arkane's thing, but they really have to change tactics to get more commercial success.

If the game is good, it will do well. This is the art direction they chose. Fornite looks like ass, but is off the charts. Hades looks like ass, but is off the charts.

GymWolf

Really? This week alone:

Cheers anyway.

Not for me or at least not entirely, i know arkane so i know that i can't expect incredible graphic, am i disappointed? yeah, but i put less weight on it because it's not a graphical top tier team like ND or guerrilla.

It's the gunplay that look sus, the kinda cartoony vampire artstyle that really doesn't gel with the kinda horror atmosphere the game should have and the writing for the characters that sound pretty cringe.

The premise of rich dudes creating vampires in the lab is kinda unoriginal but arkane are good with world building (less with actual main plots) so i hope they flashed out things in a nice way.

The city also doens't look nearly as interesting as the locations in dish 1\2 and prey, but that could change by actually playing the game and exploring, maybe they aren't showing the best in the trailers.

GymWolf

If the game is good, it will do well. This is the art direction they chose. Fornite looks like ass, but is off the charts. Hades looks like ass, but is off the charts.
raj-bigbangtheory.gif

your ass look like an ass, hades looks splendid.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I am really just not seeing it, I know Xbox players are desperate for another W after Hi-Fi Rush, but this isn't it, at least not from the trailers.

For some reason, despite not being as common as zombies I cant help but think that vampires are even more generic and boring as an antagonist.

giving it a go of course as it will be on gamepass anyway, but its going to need to try hard out the gate to impress.

Last edited:
It's funny that you are triggered by people being positive about Xbox. Seek help.

Seriously man ? You of all people ?

I mean, zero self awareness whatsoever, you're just like "those" guys you "hate" on the "other" forum 😁
Again, absolutely.zero.self.awareness, you keep doing you, I mean, after all, you're the guy that said that a person should be thankful to Papa Phil and MS after spending yet another 60 bucks on (yet another) badly made with zero QC product/controller 'cause "things are expected to break" and that "you should be grateful that it lasted one year" - you're that kind of miserable guy and corporate fan, and I'm the one that should seek help ? Hey, whatever makes you feel like the bigger man.

Again, users like you, Ozriel and a couple of others are the cancer/plague of internet forums, there's always zero discussions to be had with people of your mentality due to your blind faith towards multi-trillion corporations, 'cause, let's face it, this whole "discussion" we're having ain't have nothing to do with games nor tech, it's purely because of what you and others find annoying about each other and corporation-worship, at least have the balls (even small e-ones will do) to admit so.

Aces High was exactly the same and he's now out, and while I may get banned for derailing the thread and calling you two out, it's a hill that I'm ready to die on just like them youngsters say, you know why ? 'Cause this is a discussion forum and everyone's entitled to their opinion without getting jumped by the usual suspects each and everytime their opinions doesn't align with yours, I mean, if you both can't see that I don't know what else to tell you.

Are people allowed to express their opinions or not ? apparently not if it has to do with anything MS/Xbox.

You should be getting paid for all the damage control you're doing, why do it for free ?
I'm being serious here man, the zeal you're both showing is just... wrong, especially if you're adults above a certain age (i.e : 18 years old)

Anyway, if you are to reply please do so in a couple of hours 'cause i'm in the middle of a TLOU2 session, goddamn game is too long and you're not making it easier in trying to finish it...

Last edited:

Pejo

Amazing how much less I hate it without the zoomer banter and quips. I still don't think the gameplay and particularly the gunplay looks good or satisfying, but at least I don't hate it at its core.

Also, did the trailer just basically tell us the entire story? I feel like it did. We even know the approximate order we'll be fighting the bosses.

Dutchy

Typical Hendrick's , you keep doing you friend...😉

On-topic : this is the new Back 4 blood, it's mediocre looking, shooting feels absolutely weightless and the whole thing will be forgotten 3-4 months after release , "banger" my arse, this has to be the most "AAA" generic shite that most people in here like to shit on usually written all over it, it's just that "some users" are doing the usual mental gymnastics for the very obvious reasons.

THANK YOU. I couldn't quite remember what other failed title this reminded me so strongly off. This literally is Back 4 blood in a slightly different setting. Everything I've seen so far just looks so incredibly weightless and pointless, very similar to how that game felt to me.

Also, ''some users'' don't understand the dangers of rooting for mediocrity. I say let them. They're the only ones pulling the short straw in the end.

Best trailer yet, gave a sort of Stranger Things vibe, music could have risen the trailer up a notch or two but whatever. Overall I wasn't really feeling Redfall but this one has me more interested in the coop side and stealth side of things. Hopefully that character/party ability is frequent enough to really be an intrinsic part of the game. I don't go for the Fortnite-esque bounce pads and art style though.

Glad it's on Gamepass, Arkane Studios' games aren't usually my thing story/art wise but they know how to deliver good combat. Coop and cross play should be an interesting mix and hopefully the networking is real solid.

Last edited:

Spyxos

I am really just not seeing it, I know Xbox players are desperate for another W after Hi-Fi Rush, but this isn't it, at least not from the trailers.

For some reason, despite not being as common as zombies I cant help but think that vampires are even more generic and boring as an antagonist.

giving it a go of course as it will be on gamepass anyway, but its going to need to try hard out the gate to impress.
I have nothing against vampires, but the way they are shown in this game does not appeal to me at all.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I could maybe take some of these "complaints" seriously, if you didn't say DH1 and 2 were "cool" (which also assumes you liked the art aesthetic), but REDFALL, which is wearing that DH aesthetic proudly on its sleeve, some looks weak.

. . .also the comparisons are still stupid. This is clearly a narrative focused game meant to be FINISHED. B4B was and still is a GaaS game through and through, looking for that next hook to bring players back in. Like the complete opposite of every ARKANE game released in forever.

A shame that this game needs an internet connection just to play the single player. These types of games don’t always last and investing in them is risky. It seems Arkane has followed up the Deathloop formula with Redfall. Best of luck to them.

I dunno why, but this game is giving me serious InFamous vibes but with a co-op FPS in a vampire type world.

I kinda dig it, will be a nice trial game of sorts - certainly appeals to me way more than Deathloop ever did

I think it looks fucking terrible and for Arkane to make an always online co-op looter shooter, this is like the worst timeline and totally goes against what they are known for. Dishonored 1,2 and Prey never got the credit (and sales) they deserve.
Clockwork Mansion is one of the most incredible things I have ever experienced that could only be done in a video game. Talos 1 in Prey is just on another level that I don't think we will ever see surpassed.
If you like Redfall, great, not going to try to shit all over it. But this is not the studio that should be chasing this trend. We are already at over saturation with these types of games and this really isnt what they have a history of doing.
I fucking hope i'm wrong though.

Top Bottom