• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phase

The no standards crew are truly the worst group of people that are involved in this medium (or any entertainment medium for that matter). What these attitudes result in is many a great studio and individual lowering the standards for the work they are willing to produce despite them having once strived for (and reached/exceeded) greatness. They were once studios who only sought to produce excellence but now they are more than willing to produce crap. Why and how does that happen? Because at one point in time, we didn't demand better, we accepted and excused work that is not of the standard we had come to expect up until that point. Everything gets dragged down by you, look in the mirror.

Both Xbox and Arkane should and need to be held to higher standards than this. The former because of the financial resources available and the latter because of the talent and innovation they have demonstrated and delivered for decades.
Quoting and posting again because it's too important not to. This industry has to have higher standards again, and we as consumers have the power to change it.

Last edited:
Upon taking the advice of some people here this is now how I wish to consume my spaghetti:

hybvIKD.jpg

Taste buds? What tastebuds? Food is food.
Holy mackerel there's a lot of arguing about a shit game.

This pic is absolute fire, saving it for future use.

I will say the most depressing part about Redfall to me is the fact that Arkane were one of the few mainstream-ish studios left that had faith in their players' intelligence. Playing Redfall felt like I was mourning another studio that was holding onto a specific old-school vision of gaming getting steamrolled. Watching Arkane double-down on perceived modernisms and just totally failing was even sadder than the game just being shit in general. It's like you can see Arkane's spirit exit their body when you play this game.

Havoc2049

I refuse to pump up any sales/engagement numbers - they do not deserve to be rewarded for what has been produced (sorry not sorry for having standards), I've seen and heard enough. This is not the standard that I've come to expect from Arkane, nor do I want this to be the benchmark for them going forward ("oh, at least it's better than Redfall").

The no standards crew are truly the worst group of people that are involved in this medium (or any entertainment medium for that matter)
. What these attitudes result in is many a great studio and individual lowering the standards for the work they are willing to produce despite them having once strived for (and reached/exceeded) greatness. They were once studios who only sought to produce excellence but now they are more than willing to produce crap. Why and how does that happen? Because at one point in time, we didn't demand better, we accepted and excused work that is not of the standard we had come to expect up until that point. Everything gets dragged down by you, look in the mirror.

Both Xbox and Arkane should and need to be held to higher standards than this. The former because of the financial resources available and the latter because of the talent and innovation they have demonstrated and delivered for decades.

The games Arkane typically make are not "FPS games". At this point I could be curt, but I'll refrain and simply state that you should play their previous work starting with dark messiah of might and magic if possible (if not then dishonored). You will then understand what I mean by my first sentence.

Which brings me nicely to my next point - you clearly don't have to be playing and defending Redfall so what exactly is going on here? By your own admission you don't really buy "fps games", so why are you wasting your time with this when it's pretty much the only game they have ever made that is exactly that without anything else present that went into their previous work? And why would you opt to play this over their previous work when all are of much better quality and you have access to pretty much all of them on gamepass?

Make it make sense.

Based on what you've demonstrated regarding this game, probably all of them.
Good thing you are sticking to the high standards you set for yourself, Arkane and all of us gamers and fighting the good fight!

Ahhh, but wait, I see you can like a game that doesn't get stellar reviews as well, and even recommend that game to another gamer. And it's an Arkane game! 😱

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (PC): 72% Link
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (X360): 52% Link

Other high standard Arkane games:
Wolfenstein Youngblood: 63, 69, 68 (PS4, PC & XB1)
Arx Fatalis: 77, 71 (PC & XB)

So ya, Arkane games are a crap shoot, so buyer beware. BTW, I personally enjoyed Arx Fatalis, so if a gamer likes dungeon crawler RPGs, they may enjoy Arx Fatalis.

I will say the most depressing part about Redfall to me is the fact that Arkane were one of the few mainstream-ish studios left that had faith in their players' intelligence. Playing Redfall felt like I was mourning another studio that was holding onto a specific old-school vision of gaming getting steamrolled. Watching Arkane double-down on perceived modernisms and just totally failing was even sadder than the game just being shit in general. It's like you can see Arkane's spirit exit their body when you play this game.

Deathloop was far more guilty of this. First 5 hrs are basically tutorial. Game specifically tells you no more handholding after this.

Redfall is more like a normal game, follow compass marker. But still exploration is must to find your objective once you reach the ballpark, which felt good to me.

Yes, but a 6/10 game this is not.

Hopefully they fix it. It will be better than that.

GHG

Gold Member
Good thing you are sticking to the high standards you set for yourself, Arkane and all of us gamers and fighting the good fight!

Ahhh, but wait, I see you can like a game that doesn't get stellar reviews as well, and even recommend that game to another gamer. And it's an Arkane game! 😱

So ya, Arkane games are a crap shoot, so buyer beware. BTW, I personally enjoyed Arx Fatalis, so if a gamer likes dungeon crawler RPGs, they may enjoy Arx Fatalis.

Yeh I said what I said and you're proving my point. Literally every single game they've previously developed is far better than Redfall, even including the abomination that was Youngblood (which, by the way was developed by machine games, Arkane were only a co-developer on it). But if you want to reach that far (and include youngblood as a game "developed" by them), this is worse than that. You could even subject yourself to youngblood and still be likely have a better time than you would with Redfall. Let that sink in.

Also, attempting to slander Arx Fatalis and dark messiah is not a good look. Both were very ambitious titles for the time in which they released and did many innovative things that set the stage for games that followed. Dark Messiah still has some of the best melee and environmental combat mechanics of any game to this day. Those games having crappy xbox ports that I've never had to subject myself to is not my concern.

XVZns14.jpg

https://www.vg247.com/arx-fatalis-versus-elder-scrolls

Qn7QVoO.jpg

https://www.eurogamer.net/retrospective-dark-messiah-of-might-and-magic-article

Ambitious games with redeeming qualities of significance, worthy of deepdives, retrospectives and playthroughs decades later. None of that applies to Redfall and never will, so more the fool you.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
People should have standards. It's a basic principle of life and I'm not going to be a bystander watching people excuse substandard crap which only has the net effect of dragging standards down across the whole industry.

When companies get excused and rewarded for this kind of work it sends the wrong signal - "Redfall did it, they got away with it and still made money so who cares".

Some of us were here to try and push back on DLC, microtransactions, lootboxes, crappy PC ports, etc and look at how all of that has turned out.

When a small proportion of people live in mud huts and shit on the street it makes the whole neighbourhood smell.

I'm not "man and woman of the people", far from it.

Your (wildly overdramatic) words say otherwise.

If you told me 3 years ago that Microsoft would open up their cheque book and have Arkane make a AAA game for them this is not what I or anyone else who has appreciated Arkane's previous work would expect.

We haven't gotten a MS funded project yet. What we've gotten was a MS inherited project that almost surely was a multi-platform live service game that got pigeonholed into a SP "console exclusive" because MS needed bodies on the beach.

That's a different issue entirely.

No it isn't. Your premise is that these nuclear-hot games that get released are a "net drag" (paraphrasing your words) on the industry as a whole. I just tossed out three games I've personally been playing the shart out of (as well as not a small amount of time in REDFALL), two of which are not "niche" in the slightest (AOW4 is doing good bidness on STEAM and is on consoles for goodness sake) and neither of which get neatly tucked into this gloom and doom about industry gaming standards. Developers and publishers will try to get away with what they can with the presumed "money makers" while still being able to put their best foot forward for the passion projects (the best is when the two occur at the same time). We see this all the time. For example -

No, this is like Nolan releasing a movie that is of the style and standard of a Sandler movie and then people saying "this is fine". You think Nolan is still going to bother with his painstaking attention to detail from that point forward?

Creatives do this all the time. Sandler himself has done UNCUT GEMS and PUNCHDRUNK LOVE. Both fantastic films sandwiched between a ton of trash films that no one put a gun to Sandler's head to make.

. . .TLDR: this narrative that people are running with that REDFALL is a canary in the coal mine and not the product of a panicking publisher (MS) taking what was - almost surely - a mandated pause on passion projects (PREY, DEATHLOOP) from a developer (ARKANE) and tossing out the tepid hotdog (REDFALL) they were forced to make at wagyu beef prices (ed. note: even I'm exhausted by all these metaphors) is crazy.

demigod

So you have no answer. Before I move on from this, let's just highlight the fact that your whole theory that supposedly justifies your bullying and arrogant attitude is based on this theory that makes literally no sense. When pushed back even the slightest bit, you just throw out a generalized bullshit non-answer that says nothing.

Well good, because your whole entire premise was ridiculous and it was impossible to answer sanely. If you can come up with the specific games I played that ruined gaming and led to the downfall of Arkane, let us all know. Otherwise just leave me alone because you're confidently repeating complete crap that makes no sense.

I know the general style of what they make. I intend to play them all since they're on GP. Have Deathloop installed and I know Dishonored are their best ones.

I'm playing Redfall because I wanted to try it out. I like vampires. Turns out the game is a decent mid-tier AA shooter with a lot of issues. I'm having fun with it despite some bugs and definite lack of optimization graphically, and I'll be finished in time for Zelda.
Typical xbox fans always fling the “console fanboy” mud. Now you are playing victim. Grow a pair.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Typical xbox fans always fling the “console fanboy” mud. Now you are playing victim. Grow a pair.
Typical cowardly bully bullshit. Constantly insult people over and over because you're too stupid to have a normal conversation, and then call people weaklings when they point out your constant trash posting. You can always spot the cowards because they can only argue with people when they're getting dog piled. They don't tend to have an original thought very often.

GHG

Gold Member
We haven't gotten a MS funded project yet. What we've gotten was a MS inherited project that almost surely was a multi-platform live service game that got pigeonholed into a SP "console exclusive" because MS needed bodies on the beach.

These are just excuses. Frankly it doesn't matter how we got to this point, Microsoft, with all of the resources they have available signed off on this and said "that's good enough". Unfortunately for us in this situation, we play the game, not the excuses.

No it isn't. Your premise is that these nuclear-hot games that get released are a "net drag" (paraphrasing your words) on the industry as a whole. I just tossed out three games I've personally been playing the shart out of (as well as not a small amount of time in REDFALL), two of which are not "niche" in the slightest (AOW4 is doing good bidness on STEAM and is on consoles for goodness sake) and neither of which get neatly tucked into this gloom and doom about industry gaming standards.

I clearly outlined "PC" in the portion you decided to cut away. Unless you're going to tell me PC specific (or focused) releases get a lot of traction on this forum? (they don't).

And for what it's worth, yes 4X games are niche. I'd go as far to say they are a niche within a niche (strategy games).

While the indie (and AA scene) is thriving at the moment we are seeing huge budget AAA titles release in unfinished/buggy states with alarming frequency these days. With the amount of money, time and resources afforded to those games, that should not be happening and the only reason it does is because they clearly have zero respect for their prospective customers (the attitude seems to be - "they will buy and defend it anyway", and unfortunately we see people doing exactly that time and time again).

Creatives do this all the time. Sandler himself has done UNCUT GEMS and PUNCHDRUNK LOVE. Both fantastic films sandwiched between a ton of trash films that no one put a gun to Sandler's head to make.

Putting any of Sandler's work in the same bracket as Nolan doesn't fly as far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion based on the films I've seen from the two respective directors. Personally I'd be deeply disappointed if Nolan were to release a film in the style of a Sandler movie.

diffusionx

Gold Member
G, I get what you're trying to say but...let's use Death Stranding in this case, a game which had :
- State of the art graphics
- Excellent OST
- Interesting new mechanics/tried new things
- Bonkers story which also tried some new things/strayed from normal video game cliches
- Had ACTUAL gameplay and not only "walking" like stealth and action bits plus, ginormous boss-battles.

...and what happened ? the usual hate circle jerking with people spouting "Kojima is a hack ! " / "Kojima lost it ! " / "60 Eurodollars Walking simulator LOL " / " Enjoy your 50 hour walking sim Sony ponies LMFAO !1!1 " ad infinitum...
Even if you dared to reply "have you actually played the fucking game ? " ('cause 99% were drawing their "opinion" from YouTube videos) you were met with replies in the vein of "LOL why/how are you even enjoying it?" it's like...you weren't even allowed by these people to actually enjoy the game - the same "low standards" excuse was used by them, like, it was impossible for them to even comprehend that the game was enjoyable and/or that you actually were having fun with it...
Just the other day, a "warrior" in this very forum used DS in a "warZ list" as to "demonstrate" how shit some Sony releases have been in the past also 😁

What I'm trying to say is...some times there's assholes and trolls, sometimes circle jerking and hate brigades are inevitable when it comes to "shit game of the month" (most recently Forspoken and Redfall) and sometimes is all a matter of perspective.
You can enjoy mediocre games , telling others though that they should or shouldn't like something is no bueno though, just saying bro...

Cheers
I was really confused by Death Stranding before release. It really did seem like this bizarre sci-fi post office simulator leading up to release. And it actually is a bizarre sci-fi post office simulator. Except, it's amazing. But it's also the exception that proves the rule - there are no games like it, and you really had to play it to see how it works.

There is nothing unique about Redfall, it's just a crappy, buggy, open world action game. Games like Division and Far Cry do everything it does and way better. Now if you are in the mood to play a crappy open world action game, I'm not going to stop you, it's your life, but sometimes crap is crap.

Last edited:

demigod

Typical cowardly bully bullshit. Constantly insult people over and over because you're too stupid to have a normal conversation, and then call people weaklings when they point out your constant trash posting. You can always spot the cowards because they can only argue with people when they're getting dog piled. They don't tend to have an original thought very often.
Who’s insulting who? Oh wait you called GHG GHG a fucking psycho. You sure you want to still play that bully card?

GHG

Gold Member
Who’s insulting who? Oh wait you called GHG GHG a fucking psycho. You sure you want to still play that bully card?

He always does it. Pretty much every post he throws out has some insult in it or is made to be personal and then he'll go and cry about being a victim in some way. It's either "I'm being attacked/bullied" or "I don't want to talk about this and/or talk to you".

All of that after coming to the thread with some driveby "none of you know what you're talking about" nonsense.

Grand waste of time really.

Deathloop was far more guilty of this. First 5 hrs are basically tutorial.
I mean I legitimately think Deathloop sucks, yeah. Is it a hot mess? No, I think Redfall is a hot mess. But Deathloop is just kind of a lame, bungled Dishonored offshoot.

So to your point, I agree that Deathloop was the first step in "oh no what're you guys doing..." for me. Just Redfall feels devoid of even the shreds of Arkane's prior cleverness that were buried under other trash in Deathloop. And...it's beyond half-assed, something I can't really accuse Deathloop of no matter if I dislike what it did. Redfall feels like one of those end-of-contract albums bands make to get out of their deal and just can't even be assed to phone it in 100% still.

Topher

Gold Member

Matthew Broderick GIF

This is not a game worth getting banned over, bro

Last edited:
I was really confused by Death Stranding before release. It really did seem like this bizarre sci-fi post office simulator leading up to release. And it actually is a bizarre sci-fi post office simulator. Except, it's amazing. But it's also the exception that proves the rule - there are no games like it, and you really had to play it to see how it works.

There is nothing unique about Redfall, it's just a crappy, buggy, open world action game. Games like Division and Far Cry do everything it does and way better. Now if you are in the mood to play a crappy open world action game, I'm not going to stop you, it's your life, but sometimes crap is crap.
I ate like five plates of crow with Death Stranding. I was absolutely laughing at the early game footage like where's the fucking gameplay guyz. First time I sat down with it with my eyes already rolling, I ended up playing something like 5 or 6 hours straight until the sun came up and I had to step away.

It's one of my games of the gen and I absolutely love it, warts and all, and I still have a hard time quantifying what it so damn addictive and captivating about it. I'm the first to bitch about "open world busy work bullshit" and all that too. Such a satisfying and addictive game.

People talking about Death Stranding in a redfall thread triggers me and makes me cringe.

I ate like five plates of crow with Death Stranding. I was absolutely laughing at the early game footage like where's the fucking gameplay guyz. First time I sat down with it with my eyes already rolling, I ended up playing something like 5 or 6 hours straight until the sun came up and I had to step away.

It's one of my games of the gen and I absolutely love it, warts and all, and I still have a hard time quantifying what it so damn addictive and captivating about it. I'm the first to bitch about "open world busy work bullshit" and all that too. Such a satisfying and addictive game.

Ryan Gosling Hello GIF

graywolf323

Gold Member
dude you’re better than this, hopefully you come back more like the poster you were before all this insanity

otherwise you’ll just end up going the way of KageyK who was another sensible poster that let their fanboyism consume them & eventually got permabanned because of it

Last edited:

As it has already been brought to your attention, Youngblood is Machine Games with help from Arkane.
Honestly though, Youngblood (despite the dialogue being cringe as fuck) is a better game than Wolfenstein The New Colossus.

Nydius

It seems Gamepass allows that at a relatively low cost of engagement, and that's a good thing.
No it isn't "a good thing".

It promotes the chase of quantity over quality.
The "low cost of engagement" you cheer for means vastly reduced returns on development investment.

If a game comes out and it's a stinker, there's less motivation for Microsoft to keep supporting it long term to make it better. They know people have terribly short memories, so Microsoft will simply drop the game as soon as financially feasible and then move on to their next project because they gotta keep dropping content into that Game Pass folder to keep people subscribed. It's the same shit that plagues streaming TV services right now: They greenlight all sorts of shows and if the quality is poor and people don't watch, oh well, they toss the show in the shitter and pick up the next script on the desk.

Phil's "one big game per quarter" is an unrealistic, unsustainable goal and we see that with Redfall.

Edit: Reading Miku's posts, I'm surprised his ban was only 6 weeks. Holy hell.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Told you guys this shill was an A-hole ...and you still tried to defend him ...

On the side topic... man I wish i liked death stranding ... played a couple of hours on the ps5 version and couldn't get into it ... maybe ill try another time ...

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Punished Miku Punished Miku , for what it's worth, I enjoy reading your assessments of games, including overall bad games that turn out to have some redeeming qualities. It seems Gamepass allows that at a relatively low cost of engagement, and that's a good thing. For myself, I couldn't get past the first couple of hours with Redfall, but I'm still looking forward to your assessment of it when you're done.

avin

No man! Thats the problem you should not have to accept this kind of games just because it is on gamepass.. thats exactly what they want you to swallow, real soon is all you gonna have, it is a 70 dollar game and even if were only on gamepass for """"free""""" its unacceptable! Forget about story or design choices, a unfinished bugfest game should never be accepted by anyone! And definitely should not be defended!

Sorry dont want to appear harsh but that is exactly the mentality that people like me who dont want this stream future with shitty quantity over quality are trying to avoid. Keep netflix model for shit series and movies.. leave games alone.

Told you guys this shill was an A-hole ...and you still tried to defend him ...

On the side topic... man I wish i liked death stranding ... played a couple of hours on the ps5 version and couldn't get into it ... maybe ill try another time ...
Like I said, I love that game and even I can't fault people for bouncing off...or bouncing off hard. It's a really weird and super-specific game in terms of the itch it scratches imo.

As a FedEx Driver during the pandemic in LA after a 10-12 hour shift, I would come home and relax playing Death Stranding.
Basically me:
1bee93fc5e65915f7dff3010669a85e336f9c3a7c7acbefa80e78ec163d837f1_1.jpg

Last edited:

scydrex

Including Xbox reviewers or website gave it a low score for example this one. Idk why some people are trying so hard to defend this price of crap.

lN3sDfq.jpg

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Worth a Buy raises an important point!

Previews were largely cautiously optimistic, rather than glowingly positive, at least the ones I read.

And when a game's largest flaw is that it doesn't live up to it's potential; that it's missions are repetitive and it doesn't get deeper as you unlock more of the skill tree... Well, it's easy to see how they might miss that in previews.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I just found out one of the main guys at Arkane left after Prey and before Deathloop.

I'm not sure how you felt about Deathloop, but I didn't like it

I'm not even gonna play Redfall now.

The Arkane we know and love may be gone.
Raph was the studio founder but I would caution against giving him or any one person primary visionary credit for Arkane's body of work. He was more of the executive producer than a guy was directing games.

Top Bottom