• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Haha that Second Chance vs Magnum Force gun guy is amazing. Survivalist Ebert. The feminist thought police. This tape was gold!

Whole thing is on youtube btw:

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
0kAx6T9.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"it's like we are watching Robocop, like one of the fake shows in that"

lol also the vaporwave Tim & Eric style video by the New Age lady

some good trash here

#Phonepunk#

Banned
“I see dirty, bearded men in a room”

already this is great. No promises of answers just diving into the mystery. What an awesome Xmas gift. Way to go RLM!

60117178856c7bce4790b4f8ef2b9954.png

Last edited:

GreyHorace

They finally did it. Twin Peaks: The Return re:View

I've only watched a few episodes of the original Twin Peaks, and the only Lynch film I've seen is Mulholland Drive.

I'll not deny David Lynch's talent as a director and I like how his films are open to many interpretations. And goddamn he can scare the pants out of me with his stuff, like the diner scene in Mulholland. But he's just way too weird for my taste.

rofif

Banned
I think first season is whole worth watching and 2nd season like only first and last episode.
3rd season was great

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Wow yeah this is incredible. I fucking teared up when they showed the clip of Bobby looking at Laura’s photo and the Log Lady talking about death to Hawk.

Love how much they are emphasizing this wasn’t about cheap nostalgia and all the heart that went into it.

So glad RLM really get Lynch.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I have yet to see RLM's take on Twin Peaks but, if you haven't already seen it, Twin Perfect's analysis of the show is absolutely spot on. Probably the best interpretation out there right now.

I'm on mobile atm so you'll have to do the YouTubing yourselves. :p

I have yet to see RLM's take on Twin Peaks but, if you haven't already seen it, Twin Perfect's analysis of the show is absolutely spot on. Probably the best interpretation out there right now.

I'm on mobile atm so you'll have to do the YouTubing yourselves. :p

Amusingly Jay lightly shits on the Twin Perfect video in this re:View. =P

Last edited:
Amusingly Jay lightly shits on the Twin Perfect video in this re:View. =P
I can't stand those kind of videos, because it robs people of any incentive to think and interpret things for themselves. Even worse, so many people take it as gospel.

But anyways, I haven't rewatched Season 3 yet (sidenote: I hate that it is now called "The Return"; it was just Season 3 when it was airing), but watching the RLM video brought back a range of emotions. Such an odd but great season overall.

bender

What time is it?
I wish I liked David Lynch's work more and conceptionally it sounds like it is right up my alley but his work tends to give me ADD. I've tried dozens of times to watch Twin Peaks and can't even make it past the first episode. Hearing the new season is more like an 18 hour movie and just letting every scene linger does not bode well for me. haha.

Futaleufu

I can't stand those kind of videos, because it robs people of any incentive to think and interpret things for themselves. Even worse, so many people take it as gospel.

99.9% of people that did not understand some art/media they just read/watched/listened will just move on. I've yet to read/watch a valid criticism of Twin Perfect's video. It seems to me that Jay is in the group of "I don't understand it and I'm awesome, so nobody can really understand it because it wasn't meant to"

Twin Perfect's video about Mulholland's Drive it's also spot on. Don't be like Jay or Shatner and watch the thing if you are going to dismiss something publicly.

99.9% of people that did not understand some art/media they just read/watched/listened will just move on. I've yet to read/watch a valid criticism of Twin Perfect's video. It seems to me that Jay is in the group of "I don't understand it and I'm awesome, so nobody can really understand it because it wasn't meant to"

Twin Perfect's video about Mulholland's Drive it's also spot on. Don't be like Jay or Shatner and watch the thing if you are going to dismiss something publicly.
I'm not dismissing it because its incorrect, I'm dismissing it because I believe people should think for themselves and not be beholden to some YouTube channel's interpretation. For example, no one looks back at Total Recall and says it has a definitive interpretation; they have their own interpretations and evidence for/against... that's the beauty of it and so many other thought-provoking stories, including Twin Peaks.
So many people these days want that instant gratification of knowing everything instantly instead of actually thinking about it and discussing it with others. They're perfectly happy to watch a YouTube video and take it as gospel. And in the event that they DO discuss it afterwards, their discussion is relegated to "ACKTUALLY, this YouTube video says that..." It's sad, really.
Actually, they probably wouldn't even credit the YouTube video. They'd present it as their own interpretation because they need to feel smart in front of their peers; that's exactly the kind of snobbish behavior I'd expect from someone like that.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

I'm not dismissing it because its incorrect, I'm dismissing it because I believe people should think for themselves and not be beholden to some YouTube channel's interpretation. For example, no one looks back at Total Recall and says it has a definitive interpretation; they have their own interpretations and evidence for/against... that's the beauty of it and so many other thought-provoking stories, including Twin Peaks.
So many people these days want that instant gratification of knowing everything instantly instead of actually thinking about it and discussing it with others. They're perfectly happy to watch a YouTube video and take it as gospel. And in the event that they DO discuss it afterwards, their discussion is relegated to "ACKTUALLY, this YouTube video says that..." It's sad, really.
Actually, they probably wouldn't even credit the YouTube video. They'd present it as their own interpretation because they need to feel smart in front of their peers; that's exactly the kind of snobbish behavior I'd expect from someone like that.

Blaming TP's video because some people say things on the internet is like blaming RLM because their fans harass people like William Shatner.

Maybe people doesn't care about Total Recall that much? When people care about something, they make something like this: https://sopranosautopsy.com/ Maybe there is a web page like this for Total Recall? I don't care enough to find out.

GreyHorace

They were actually not that hard on the movie. They still think it's garbage and rightly pointed out all the glaring flaws the film had.

And oof... Patty Jenkins wrote the screenplay? If this is the best she can do I'm really worried about Rogue One.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just watched the movie myself. It was... a slog. Looking forward to this.
It seems to me that Jay is in the group of "I don't understand it and I'm awesome, so nobody can really understand it because it wasn't meant to"
Feel like you have it backwards. Jay is explicitly saying he doesn’t like people that say they “have it all figured out” like in that long ass video. This is why he (and I tbh) didn’t watch the 5 hour “explanation”. Here they are just shooting the shit and discussing different aspects. Not selling some all in one solution. The guy claiming to have figured it all out is the guy with the 5 hour video. Lynch’s work does not function in that way. Yes it’s fun to discuss and point at themes but anyone pretending to have the secret meaning behind it all, I’m throwing a side eye at that.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Just watched the movie myself. It was... a slog. Looking forward to this.

Feel like you have it backwards. Jay is explicitly saying he doesn’t like people that say they “have it all figured out” like in that long ass video. This is why he (and I tbh) didn’t watch the 5 hour “explanation”. Here they are just shooting the shit and discussing different aspects. Not selling some all in one solution. The guy claiming to have figured it all out is the guy with the 5 hour video. Lynch’s work does not function in that way. Yes it’s fun to discuss and point at themes but anyone pretending to have the secret meaning behind it all, I’m throwing a side eye at that.

Maybe you should watch the video first.

I don't think it's a movie either of them would have bothered with if it wasn't for the review show, tbh. You can see what kind of shit it's going to be from the trailers.

Oh for sure.

It's just when you have Mike outright saying he stopped paying attention to the movie and was doing things around the house with it on in the background and "yeah whatever"-ing a lot of the movie...I'm not sure I've seen him care so little during a review outside of BotW. :messenger_poop:

It'll be interesting if they can convince Mike to watch the upcoming 4 hour JL Snyder cut. Considering his opinion of MoS and BvS, something like that could break him. =P

Karma Jawa

Somehow the blob always slipped through and I've never seen it. I love 80s horror so its unusual for me not to have seen it.
Same here. Been meaning to watch it for ages but was never able to get hold of it.

Finally managed to watch it this morning for free on YouTube. I'm in the UK so not sure if it's also free in the US.

As Mike and Jay say, it's solid. It's certainly never boring.

sobaka770

Banned
Blob thing didn't interest me that much (I find re:views to be generally more niche of RLM portfolio but that's the goal I suppose), but that double Twin Peaks discussion was so good. I kind of itch to rematch it but 18 hours is lot of (mostly) Dougie time.

Top Bottom