• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Malignant is their next HitB, announced on Patreon.
It'll probably show up on YT today or tomorrow. I actually enjoyed it because it goes completely off-the-wall during the third act in a very fun way. I recommend watching it before you get spoiled, but I'm under the impression that most people who watch RLM don't actually care about spoilers lol
Noice. I was hoping they'd look at that one. I haven't finished it yet.

Malignant is their next HitB, announced on Patreon.
It'll probably show up on YT today or tomorrow. I actually enjoyed it because it goes completely off-the-wall during the third act in a very fun way. I recommend watching it before you get spoiled, but I'm under the impression that most people who watch RLM don't actually care about spoilers lol

waiting-wait.gif

PSlayer

Just watched in the theater. This movie is a rollercoaster. The best part is the jail/police station fight scene. That alone was worthy the ticket price.

And the Freddy got finger comparison is spot on. There is no way Wan was not intentionally trolling Warner Brothers.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Just finished the movie. That was fucking great. Completely bonkers. I'm looking forward to what the boys have to say about it.

I don't think Jay gives Wan enough credit. There's nothing accidental about this film, and that's why I really loved the third act - it sheds all pretense and just goes all-out. It's wonderful.

I'd also like to note that it's probably the highest police death count I've seen in a film, and that's including the recent anti-police Candyman. Except the director doesn't try to make it into some embarrassing paper-thin commentary on racism in the police, he actually tries to make the movie entertaining... and succeeds!

Ranking Every John Carpenter Film (1 of 3)

Haven't watched it yet but I hope they don't shit on Prince of Darkness too much lol. It's one of my personal favorites, even though I know it's not regarded as highly among Carpenter fans

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Ranking Every John Carpenter Film (1 of 3)

Haven't watched it yet but I hope they don't shit on Prince of Darkness too much lol. It's one of my personal favorites, even though I know it's not regarded as highly among Carpenter fans

Good episode. I don't hold John Carpenter close to my heart with the exception of The Thing. Halloween and Escape From New York are fun movies, but I could probably do without the rest. Sorry to Big Trouble fans.

Prince of Darkness is generally well regarded in the pantheon of Carpenter movies and usually considered one of the last "good" ones (In the Mouth of Madness seems to be the hard cut-off point for most). Only Rich had it ranked super low though even then he didn't hate it or anything, he just seemed disinterested by it.

And add me to the list of people that genuinely enjoy that movie. I never saw it until like the early 2010's and was pleasantly surprised there was a full-on Carpenter movie of this type/style that I'd missed out on. It would definitely be in my top 10 of his work.

Edit: Also I happy they took the time to briefly talk about Body Bags even though it wasn't ranked due to not meeting their criteria. Not a great movie or anything but I always thought it was fun and rather overlooked.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention not shitting on Prince of Darkness... it's a favorite of mine as well. Have you seen the episode yet?
Yes, but in the background while I play Diablo so I missed a lot. I'll watch it again later. It's like 1998 all over again with me being glued to my PC lol

But yeah, when Rich said Prince of Darkness I was like
mad little girl GIF by WWE

But they weren't harsh on it at all. Like Space Runaway said, Rich simply seemed disinterested in it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yes, but in the background while I play Diablo so I missed a lot. I'll watch it again later. It's like 1998 all over again with me being glued to my PC lol

But yeah, when Rich said Prince of Darkness I was like
mad little girl GIF by WWE

But they weren't harsh on it at all. Like Space Runaway said, Rich simply seemed disinterested in it.
It does take a good while to get going. The credits themselves do take forever lol. Still love it.

Lanrutcon

Good episode. I don't hold John Carpenter close to my heart with the exception of The Thing. Halloween and Escape From New York are fun movies, but I could probably do without the rest. Sorry to Big Trouble fans.

You shouldn't be apologizing to us.

You should be apologizing to your ancestors for ruining the bloodline.

Aaand part 3

I didn't find part 2 that interesting (Though I did find it amusing that Rich placed Vampires questionably high yet their their entire discussion was them shitting on it. Plus not often you get to hear anyone talk about Memoirs of an Invisible Man). Carpenter's most notable movies have been discussed so much that I'm curious if they have anything fresh or unique to say about them. Should be entertaining, regardless. =P

I've never seen The Ward. I need to correct that.
You already made the correct choice by avoiding it. Rich placed it at a bizarrely high place on his list, but Jay rightfully placed it second-to-last (above only Ghost of Mars), and you already know the twist so... there's really no point unless you really don't value your time. You've been warned.

bender

What time is it?
You already made the correct choice by avoiding it. Rich placed it at a bizarrely high place on his list, but Jay rightfully placed it second-to-last (above only Ghost of Mars), and you already know the twist so... there's really no point unless you really don't value your time. You've been warned.

I can't put my finger on it but I love how it looks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Aaand part 3

I didn't find part 2 that interesting (Though I did find it amusing that Rich placed Vampires questionably high yet their their entire discussion was them shitting on it. Plus not often you get to hear anyone talk about Memoirs of an Invisible Man). Carpenter's most notable movies have been discussed so much that I'm curious if they have anything fresh or unique to say about them. Should be entertaining, regardless. =P

This was a great series. It would probably never happen, but I would love to see John Carpenter actually talk about his movies with them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As dumb as it was, am I the only one here who misses Pre Rec?
It was alright, but I have to say that I never found it compelling enough to watch regularly. Their opinions on games actually reflect my tastes a lot but I personally never found their game related banter to be that entertaining.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I dont always agree with Rich Evan's but his placing of Big Trouble in Little China at number 1 was correct. There was no other answer. The Thing is the only one that comes close but little china just has so much more fun factor to it.

Great Hair

Banned
never found their game related banter to be that entertaining.
Gears of Bore

Time braking Gameplay

Mario is more immersive than COD

Alien notsomuch Isolation - 4h Tutorial "How to open doors!"

Sonic, The Most Overrated Game Ever?

No Man Sky

they were all fun to watch. damn fuckers quit for some unknown reason.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'd rather Mike and Rich play games together honestly. I know Mike isn't a videogame guy but that would only add to the humor.

Karma Jawa

I dont always agree with Rich Evan's but his placing of Big Trouble in Little China at number 1 was correct. There was no other answer. The Thing is the only one that comes close but little china just has so much more fun factor to it.
It really is just between those two, though I guess some would argue Halloween.

I can't think of many directors that have made so many flawed yet brilliant movies.

they were all fun to watch. damn fuckers quit for some unknown reason.
Not an unknown reason. It's because of the weirdos in their fanbase with a parasocial obsession that made their streams insufferable as time went on. It happens with small-time streamers, imagine how it's like for a super-popular YouTube channel on Twitch. I couldn't stand being in there for more than 10 minutes because of their chat lol. Some people, especially those that are perpetually online and thus have no real-life interactions with other humans, just don't have the self-awareness to recognize when they're being obsessive and/or obnoxious to the people they adore.

Futaleufu

Not an unknown reason. It's because of the weirdos in their fanbase with a parasocial obsession that made their streams insufferable as time went on. It happens with small-time streamers, imagine how it's like for a super-popular YouTube channel on Twitch. I couldn't stand being in there for more than 10 minutes because of their chat lol. Some people, especially those that are perpetually online and thus have no real-life interactions with other humans, just don't have the self-awareness to recognize when they're being obsessive and/or obnoxious to the people they adore.

I remember reading some of their fans were rummaging through the garbage of the last female cast member they had.

They’re spot on about that trash Halloween movie. Horrible sequel that is just laughably bad plotwise. They’re so right about it being fucking stupid that the events of Halloween 1 would be so remembered in Haddonfield, and that there would be the mob going after Michael.

Yeah people these days don't even seem show that level of care for something like 9/11. Movie just felt like a filler episode. If you throw out any standards you can watch it like a Friday the 13th movie but characters and story were whack.

Also I was very much amused when Mike went off on his concept for a Halloween sequel and he ended up just describing Halloween 2 '81. =P

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I haven't watched any of the Halloween sequels, but why are the townsfolk only concerned about the first murders in Halloween 1? Did the other murders in the sequels get retconned?

FunkMiller

I haven't watched any of the Halloween sequels, but why are the townsfolk only concerned about the first murders in Halloween 1? Did the other murders in the sequels get retconned?

Yep. Different timelines. This Halloween 3 follows a Halloween 2 that continues on from Halloween, ignoring the other Halloweens 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Also ignoring the other Halloween and the other other Halloween 2.

It's perfectly understandable, and not at all confusing and stupid because they just want to keep making money from this dead horse, but haven't got the actual talent to think of a decent storyline.

Top Bottom