• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

Is it me or is this year just chock full of bad movies? I'm usually pretty good at avoiding them but this year I've seen so many stinkers.
Halloween Kills
Black Widow
Army of the Dead
Demonic
Free Guy
Gunpowder Milkshake
Jolt
Candyman
Willy's Wonderland
Coming 2 America

bad movies endless trash GIF

Edit: Also, on the subject of Jamie Lee Curtis' reference to BLM, I don't think it's necessarily off the mark. Definitely not a politically correct thing to say (I'm sure she's probably apologized for it by now), but not entirely wrong. That said, the movie undoubtedly fell flat on its face with its messaging so that did not do her statements any favors lmao

In any case, it resulted in some hilarious editing by Mike lol

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Saw that Halloween ep last night. Just brilliant editing with those clips of Jamie Lee Curtis like holy shit calling it a masterpiece and such.. Nice breakdown of this piece of turd

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's funny they talk about people being critical of the monologues. That was a big criticism of mine watching it as well. It's clear Flannigan had things to say but it came at the expense of reality. It was overwrought.

Karma Jawa

I enjoyed if for the most part, but yeah it fell apart a bit towards the end. I feel like this could have been a classic if slowed down and covered over two seasons.

Also nice to see Mike and Jaye getting on well. For a while it seemed like they had fallen out.

I think they're a bit too harsh on it. The fact that Mike felt the need to ask if Ghosbusters 2016 is better is absolutely insane. Thankfully, both Rich and Jay were quick to answer "no"... but it's still an absolutely insane question. GB2016 is a 3/10 at best, while Afterlife is a 7/10 at best IMO - they're simply not comparable in terms of quality.

That said, on the other side of things, a lot of people are probably a little too positive because of the memberberries. The Off-Topic thread was filled with "OMG I LITERALLY CRIED" type posts until someone posted the RLM video lol

sol_bad

At the end of the day, who cares what RLM think, it's just their opinion. I watch them for their entertainment value. They have hated heaps of movies I've liked, still laugh at their videos even if I disagree with what they say.

bender

What time is it?
I'd never take RLM or anyone else as gospel on any given movie, but they are always thoughtful in their analysis. Watching that review last night was a bit of a buzzkill after some of the impressions here. I wasn't expecting it to be great but they really tore it apart.

sol_bad

I'd never take RLM or anyone else as gospel on any given movie, but they are always thoughtful in their analysis. Watching that review last night was a bit of a buzzkill after some of the impressions here. I wasn't expecting it to be great but they really tore it apart.

I wouldn't know what they said about Afterlife and I won't know until January. LOL
But if you were excited and planning to watch it or excited about any movie, maybe watch it and form your own opinions rather than watching reviews first.

bender

What time is it?
I wouldn't know what they said about Afterlife and I won't know until January. LOL
But if you were excited and planning to watch it or excited about any movie, maybe watch it and form your own opinions rather than watching reviews first.

Excited isn't an apt descriptor. Like most movies, Ghost Busters didn't need a sequel. And of course I'll form my own opinions once I watch it but it will have to hit a streaming service first.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I could have sworn they already talked about this? They do joke about Dune at the beginning so I think that'll be next.

I don't remember all of those cheesy scenes that came straight out of the 50's and 60's to be so... cheese.

Then again, all the good scenes seemed to stick out more with remembrance to me from watching that movie a lot as a kid.

Tim looks weird in this. He should have kept the mustache.

Another Mike gets sloshed episode where his banter is constantly wavering back and forth between genius and incredibly stupid. Love it.

I love Red Letter Media so don't get me wrong but I think they're either slacking or burnt out.

It seems they don't even review a lot of big movies anymore.

No Shang-Chi review?

No Matrix Resurrections review?

Instead, they just released another Best of the Worst back-to-back.

I know they're getting tired of Marvel perhaps and that is why there is no review for The Eternals or Shang-Chi.

But no Matrix Resurrections review either?

I know it's terrible but that's the fun of listening to their reviews.

Not trying to jump on their case. I'm just wondering why they stopped reviewing a lot of the blockbuster type movies now. Did they ever mention recently why? Are they burnt out of Marvel that much? And Matrix Resurrections?

Edit: I get they might do it in their end of the year catch-up but seems weird to put all those big movies for such short segments.

But they devoted a full show to Black Widow.

Last edited:
They were simply avoiding the theater, dude. If it was available digitally on release then we got a review. Ghostbusters is the first (and only?) theater release they reviewed this year.

As for Matrix, they're probably off celebrating Xmas with family.

bender

What time is it?
I love Mike capping off a laundry lists of negatives with "and I loved every minute of it." I will admit it did temper my urge to see the new Matrix, it might be too meta for my tastes.

It feels like they're praising the ideas of the movie more than the actual movie, which I suppose I can agree with. IMO the first 30 minutes are tolerable when it seems like it's going to be the Matrix version of New Nightmare, but once that aspect goes away it's complete and utter shit. One of the worst films of the year.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
From the Christmas best of the worst episode. "I couldn't figure out why Rich had all these gay men action figures" lmao.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I know what I'm doing when I get home. I assume Bruce has tremendous child support payments? That's why he keeps doing all these shitty movies? IDK.

They go into the reasoning without much knowledge and the long and short of it is that it's a lot of money for the bare minimum of effort.

I actually watched Breach when it came out last year because we were curious how bad these movies really are. Like Mike said, there are MUCH worse movies out there... but it's still pretty bad lol. The ending was horrible too from what I remember. Spoiler (don't watch Breach): they make it to their new Earth but when they get out of the spaceship theres a giant version of the alien monster they encountered on the ship, but it's being attacked by smaller fighter ships and... that's it lmao.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
They go into the reasoning without much knowledge and the long and short of it is that it's a lot of money for the bare minimum of effort.

Yeah it's pretty obvious to me. It's maybe a month's work, if that, in a year that earn him and his family millions.

The interesting part for me is the "shameful/shamelessness" aspect to it all. Lol, i wouldn't dare show my face to the other actors and production team. Then again, he always seemed like a jackass to me so no surprises there I guess.

bender

What time is it?
Yeah it's pretty obvious to me. It's maybe a month's work, if that, in a year that earn him and his family millions.

The interesting part for me is the "shameful/shamelessness" aspect to it all. Lol, i wouldn't dare show my face to the other actors and production team. Then again, he always seemed like a jackass to me so no surprises there I guess.

I forgot his name that they also showcased, I know him from Band of Brothers, but I'm really curious what his payday was and why he can't find better work.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I forgot his name that they also showcased, I know him from Band of Brothers, but I'm really curious what his payday was and why he can't find better work.

In the end I'm not to judge; work is work meaning money aka food etc is acquired. For me it's only fascinating when a former AAA lister (in this particular case) does these type of movies because in this instance you bring your reputation in play which (on the forefront) brings a layer to it that invokes a side eye approach to it. Nevertheless it's whatever in the end. Never liked Willlis anyways.

bender

What time is it?
In the end I'm not to judge; work is work meaning money aka food etc is acquired. For me it's only fascinating when a former AAA lister (in this particular case) does these type of movies because in this instance you bring your reputation in play which (on the forefront) brings a layer to it that invokes a side eye approach to it. Nevertheless it's whatever in the end. Never liked Willlis anyways.

Neil McDonough (looked it up). I'm not really judging Willis, lot's of people coast on their name. The 2% thing just makes me sad especial in Neil's case. While he's not anywhere near Willis stature, he's super recognizable and by RLM's account, but forth his best effort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom